Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hook, line, and sinker.  

Beat that war drum.
View Quote

It is truly amazing to watch people buy into it, isn't it. The best enemy your tax dollars can buy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Those little assholes do seem to fixate on anniversaries.  We should be very watchful this 9/11.

If you're laying odds, you've got to go with NYC and DC, with longer odds on Chicago and Los Angeles.
View Quote

Don't fixate on places either.  They're savvy enough to realize any type of ISIL-sposored attack will gather publicity even if it's in a little podunk location.  Look at Ferguson, minor community outside a minor US city with worldwide impact.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No where in the US.  Too busy fighting for territory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed, and I said the same thing ~an hour ago.

This article did catch my attention though:

Malaysian authorities announced this week the arrest of a group of 19 suspected Islamist militants who had plans to join the Islamic State in Syria, as well as carry out bombings on a brewery and bars in the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur.

Vice news link

I suppose there is a chance of a homegrown radical unable to travel to Syria/Iraq deciding to start his own little jihad right here at home instead.  So while I don't anticipate a big coordinated mass casualty attack on 9/11 by IS, there is always the chance of an inspired nut to take matters into his own hands on that day or any other.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:33:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

yeah? the victims at Benghazi would differ. I'm sure that NYC is prepared, but I suspect towns like Chicago, Milwaukee, LA, Cincinnati, and others not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
9/11 is too well guarded.  They want impact and will pick other days

yeah? the victims at Benghazi would differ. I'm sure that NYC is prepared, but I suspect towns like Chicago, Milwaukee, LA, Cincinnati, and others not so much.

Oh really?  Prepared how?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:34:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If they do no doubt a gun free zone.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Vice news link

I suppose there is a chance of a homegrown radical unable to travel to Syria/Iraq deciding to start his own little jihad right here at home instead.  So while I don't anticipate a big coordinated mass casualty attack on 9/11 by IS, there is always the chance of an inspired nut to take matters into his own hands on that day or any other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Malaysian authorities announced this week the arrest of a group of 19 suspected Islamist militants who had plans to join the Islamic State in Syria, as well as carry out bombings on a brewery and bars in the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur.

Vice news link

Always the possibility of domestics.

Good news is that Malaysia isn't unknown as an Islamic terrorist hotspot, so potential action there doesn't indicate an increased risk here.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#7]
As I stand here in Times Square, I can't help but wonder how long before the first public beheading takes place.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SAFE act.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As I stand here in Times Square, I can't help but wonder how long before the first public beheading takes place.
View Quote

Where?  In New York City?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this professional looking special services cop.

I believe they are known as Jupiter Teams, Hercules Teams, and Atlas Teams.

The really professional guys mount their optics backwards, it's the latest thing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#11]
You know, maybe we should go bomb the shit out of something in Iraq on the 11th.

You know, for old time's sake.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:54:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is my wag - hit the power grid.  With a bit of research I bet a significant portion of the population of the US could be blacked out with 10 small bombs.  While we scramble - hit the rail system that delivers coal to the electric plants - that would cause a secondary power issue for another week.  Enough that people would be without food and riots would start.  Then if you want to really have fun - hit the water supply randomly (if killing electricity would not be enough to shut down the water supply...

So energy, food, and water.  Our Government would be so busy dealing with riots we would forget about the middle east.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No the other Times Square in Paris lol
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Thursday Night Football?

ETA:

Pittsburgh Steelers travel to face the Baltimore Ravens.
View Quote

That's pretty much the only way the Browns will make the playoffs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant where did you expect this beheading to take place.  In Times Square itself, or was your current location not specifically what you had in mind.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://www.saysuncle.com/images/nycpd.jpg

The really professional guys mount their optics backwards, it's the latest thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.saysuncle.com/images/nycpd.jpg

you can add COBRA teams to your list too.   However if your think that random armed men standing around with ZERO intel is going to stop anything at all, you're crazy.  It's all smoke and mirrors - looks good for the tourists
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You know, maybe we should go bomb the shit out of something in Iraq on the 11th.

You know, for old time's sake.
View Quote

Raqqa, Syria would be a better target as its ISIS's declared capital of the caliphate

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I absolutely agree that keeping a very close eye on them, and playing whack-a-mole with them using drones and air strikes is a great approach when prefer they stick either heads up, is a great idea.

That said, their immediate goals are very much IN Syria and in Iraq, and they have a much greater interest in trying to establish their "Caliphate" in actual territory in the M.E. than they do in taking some pot-shot at the US ... Especially since they KNOW it would force the U.S. hand, and they saw what happened to Afghanistan part 9/11

They'll talk the tough anti-US rhetoric, but right now (and for the next several years), they have ZERO interest in an actual confrontation with the US.  Sort of like Iran.  
View Quote

I agree that this is generally correct, especially when viewed from a western perspective.  The assumptions of said perspective run into issues with the whole "assymetrical" thing (tangental organizations and actors, evolving responses to U.S. posturing, intrests of states concerning either the IS or its potential effects on unrelated foreign policy concerns), which is concealed to a degree by the obvious geographic isolation of the ISIS phenomenon, with the main pitfall being a failure to look forward when assessing the potential risk presented by the organization.  I am in no way implying that YOU are falling prey to any such thing, but one can see the most basic level of failure right here in these threads.  If one's neighbor in American suburbia isn't flying the IS flag in front of his house then there's clearly nothing to worry about, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There's been some talk on a local forum that.Chicago.is.a.target. I also work near O'Hare. Chicago's a.huge transportation.hub with all the railroads connecting.here. That would would have the effect of really messing with the economy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

As is Dallas and Atlanta.
Here's hoping none of this happens.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:08:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am in no way implying that YOU are falling prey to any such thing, but one can see the most basic level of failure right here in these threads.  If one's neighbor in American suburbia isn't flying the IS flag in front of his house then there's clearly nothing to worry about, I guess.
View Quote

As DK mentioned in a follow up post, saying an attack by IS on American soil this September is unlikely isn't saying that IS isn't a thread to the US or our interests.

The responses you see here are a result of the question posed in the OP.  If the question had been "Is IS a threat to the US", I think the responses would have been very different.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Those goat-fucking lunatics will try something on 9/11.  That day is sacred to us, and they know it
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I meant where did you expect this beheading to take place.  In Times Square itself, or was your current location not specifically what you had in mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was in Times Square for a few hours this morning and what better place to let America the world know that ISIS is here?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As DK mentioned in a follow up post, saying an attack by IS on American soil this September is unlikely isn't saying that IS isn't a thread to the US or our interests.

The responses you see here are a result of the question posed in the OP.  If the question had been "Is IS a threat to the US", I think the responses would have been very different.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am in no way implying that YOU are falling prey to any such thing, but one can see the most basic level of failure right here in these threads.  If one's neighbor in American suburbia isn't flying the IS flag in front of his house then there's clearly nothing to worry about, I guess.

Indeed, though the aforementioned dismissive responses aren't confined to this thread.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I always figured they would park a couple suicide attackers at the end of of some train platforms with semi auto rifles, and as soon as the there was an organized response detonated some improvised explosives.  

Then again, I live in Metro Boston, where the response to two amateurs was more frightening than the attack itself.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Just how prepared can any city be?   It's up to the individual to be prepared.   Have a plan and don't be a sheep.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I heard second hand from someone who has a kid working private security over there that ISIS is not a threat. They are small, and scattered.  This is a huge conflict on what is being force fed to us thru media coverage, so it doesnt suprise me that they are most definitly are being used as the newest excuse to fuel the political agenda, and what ever our representatives of our republic have planned.  I just hope that agenda doesnt involve a  9/11 part two.
View Quote

Tell that to the hundreds of civilians that got smoked on camera or the ones surrounded on the mountain top.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:28:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's instructive to note that IS does not support Hamas because they believe Hamas to be apostates and heretics.  Fundamentalists like IS believe that their first responsibility is to clean up the Muslim world and "correct" wayward Muslims.  In other words, they'd take on Hamas first, then go after Israel.  It is clear that IS's primary goal is to consolidate their gains and unfuck the Middle East.
That having been said, I can see their sympathizers trying to hit the US.
View Quote

Yep.  In the 5 part Vice special about IS, they spent as much time threatening Turkey as they did the US and talked about liberating Istanbul.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is true.  It's instructive to note that IS does not support Hamas because they believe Hamas to be apostates and heretics.  Fundamentalists like IS believe that their first responsibility is to clean up the Muslim world and "correct" wayward Muslims.  In other words, they'd take on Hamas first, then go after Israel.  It is clear that IS's primary goal is to consolidate their gains and unfuck the Middle East.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same place they hit last year in the US.

Nowhere.  

You know they've been around since 2003, right?  They used to be called "Al Qaeda in Iraq" and eventually morphed into ISIS/ISIL.  

If they were able to hit the US (or really wanted to), they would probably have done it at some point in the last decade.

Sure, but apparently they now control about $2B in assets and have about a $2M per day income in oil and fuel sales from refineries they control (which why those wells and refineries aren't smoldering ruins right now is beyond me).

So, essentially al Qaeda with more money and resources.  I don't advocate panic, but some concern would seem to be in order.

I absolutely agree that keeping a very close eye on them, and playing whack-a-mole with them using drones and air strikes is a great approach when prefer they stick either heads up, is a great idea.

That said, their immediate goals are very much IN Syria and in Iraq, and they have a much greater interest in trying to establish their "Caliphate" in actual territory in the M.E. than they do in taking some pot-shot at the US ... Especially since they KNOW it would force the U.S. hand, and they saw what happened to Afghanistan part 9/11

They'll talk the tough anti-US rhetoric, but right now (and for the next several years), they have ZERO interest in an actual confrontation with the US.  Sort of like Iran.  

This is true.  It's instructive to note that IS does not support Hamas because they believe Hamas to be apostates and heretics.  Fundamentalists like IS believe that their first responsibility is to clean up the Muslim world and "correct" wayward Muslims.  In other words, they'd take on Hamas first, then go after Israel.  It is clear that IS's primary goal is to consolidate their gains and unfuck the Middle East.

So far as I can tell, AQ and similar organizations have never stopped instructing true believers to either form up or go rogue and take the fight to the U.S. homeland in piecemeal fashion, telegrpahing the message through publications such as Inspire and the like.  Considering the natural factionalism of movements like the IS and the potential for diversion of funding and material support by motivated members, I can't see how attacks within the U.S. wouldn't be a concern.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep.  In the 5 part Vice special about IS, they spent as much time threatening Turkey as they did the US and talked about liberating Istanbul.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's instructive to note that IS does not support Hamas because they believe Hamas to be apostates and heretics.  Fundamentalists like IS believe that their first responsibility is to clean up the Muslim world and "correct" wayward Muslims.  In other words, they'd take on Hamas first, then go after Israel.  It is clear that IS's primary goal is to consolidate their gains and unfuck the Middle East.

A bit broader scope than just ISIS, but I wonder who Arab Islamic fundamentalists hate more; Persians or Turks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So far as I can tell, AQ and similar organizations have never stopped instructing true believers to either form up or go rogue and take the fight to the U.S. homeland in piecemeal fashion, telegrpahing the message through publications such as Inspire and the like.  Considering the natural factionalism of movements like the IS and the potential for diversion of funding and material support by motivated members, I can't see how attacks within the U.S. wouldn't be a concern.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same place they hit last year in the US.

Nowhere.  

You know they've been around since 2003, right?  They used to be called "Al Qaeda in Iraq" and eventually morphed into ISIS/ISIL.  

If they were able to hit the US (or really wanted to), they would probably have done it at some point in the last decade.

Sure, but apparently they now control about $2B in assets and have about a $2M per day income in oil and fuel sales from refineries they control (which why those wells and refineries aren't smoldering ruins right now is beyond me).

So, essentially al Qaeda with more money and resources.  I don't advocate panic, but some concern would seem to be in order.

Small scale attacks (Boston, DC Snipers, Ft Hood) will always be a concern.  Home-grown terrorists aligned with radical Islamist organizations will hit us again.  It's almost a certainty.  I think the talk has been more focused on a large, 9/11 scale attack, however, which doesn't seem to be a threat from ISIS in the near future for the reasons listed.  That's how I've read the thread, at least.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A bit broader scope than just ISIS, but I wonder who Arab Islamic fundamentalists hate more; Persians or Turks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get both?    Since the majority of Turks are Sunnis, I would guess the Persians...but I'm no expert.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#34]
After which, Randall Flagg moves in and takes Vegas over.................

Quoted:
Since our southern border is less secure than rusted through chicken wire, I'll go with either LA or Vegas.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Small scale attacks (Boston, DC Snipers, Ft Hood) will always be a concern.  Home-grown terrorists aligned with radical Islamist organizations will hit us again.  It's almost a certainty.  I think the talk has been more focused on a large, 9/11 scale attack, however, which doesn't seem to be a threat from ISIS in the near future for the reasons listed.  That's how I've read the thread, at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how I read it, myself, focusing on the "sympathizers" aspect.  While I do believe that a grand attack on the U.S. will eventually be attempted, I don't think it's an immediate threat or that it won't necessarily be thwarted, even if I expect it to be seen as a "false flag" in support of some nefarious government scheme.  Having said that, a local attack snowballing into several would be no small thing in terms of second-order effects.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#36]
A Beslan style attack scares me a lot more than a random suicide bombing.

With our borders so wide open, it is not a question of "if", but "when".

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A Beslan style attack scares me a lot more than a random suicide bombing.

With our borders so wide open, it is not a question of "if", but "when".

View Quote

Beslan gives me nightmares, too.  The nebulous factor is organization at a local level.  It's a foregone conclusion that someone will eventually surface who possesses the committment to do something dangerous, but the coordination needed to pull off something like Beslan needs fostering on a number of levels.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Nowhere, but everyone everywhere will be on high alert.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm going with Clancy.  Denver
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nowhere, but everyone everywhere will be on high alert.
View Quote

Maybe everyone in the military, security, law enforcement professions and other folks like us here on Arfcom.
A VERY small % overall.
The other 300 million or so American sheeple will go about their daily lives absorbed in Facebook, Twitter and American Idol oblivious to what is going on around them.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#41]
wherever the attack will generate the most outrage

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Let's be "unconventional" and attack them on 9/11.   Make it big, loud, with lots of death and destruction.   Fun for the whole jihadist family.

View Quote

your newsletter - can I subscribe?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
It is truly amazing to watch people buy into it, isn't it. The best enemy your tax dollars can buy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hook, line, and sinker.  

Beat that war drum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gSQg1i_q2g

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Seen the other night they were talking with our southern borders being so wide open it wouldn't be as hard as one might think to get people in here.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm going with these fifty targets.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Sadly it will take hundreds of thousands of deaths, for the US to finally wage war against Islam.

They are at war with us, we are not at war with them...

Bread and circuses...
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They seem to be media savvy, they seem to be looking to make a splash on the world stage. So I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they attempt something this year. I wouldn't be surprised if it is in the Continental US on 9/11.
View Quote

I'm not going to read through three pages of dreck, but for my money, they're going to do a Mumbai style shoot-em-up at the Mall of America. 9/11 would be too cliche and they'd get some noteriety out of it, but not like if they did it on Black Friday. If they pulled something like that on Black Friday, four guys with AK's could potentially kill thousands and fucking end the Christmas season. Who is going to go shopping if any mall in the land is a potential battleground? People would be trampling each other and tearing themselves to pieces trying to get out the doors. Pandemonium would set in and probably 90% or more of the casualties would be trampled.

You have an already extremist population of Somalians a mere ten miles North who are 80% or so of the supply of fighters who have left the United States to go over there and fight. That's three of the keys to an attack: Proximity, Familiarity, Extremism.

Secondly, they've already been caught red handed with explosives, and had one go off accidentally in one of their buildings. The gas company came out and said it's not gas, then the FBI and BATFE got involved and everything went quiet. Now the media won't cover it for fear that it might create anti Somalian sentiment in the locals.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What do they have to gain by launching an attack on the US?  They would unify the American people and we would go back over there.  Right now they should be more focused on consolidating their gains and expanding into weakly governed areas.
View Quote

No.

They'd have the 0bama admin out for gunowner blood and he would have a whole lot of ammunition to ban guns wholesale. If local police and politicians didn't come out for confiscations, I'd be astounded.

Then you'd have a whole lot of people mighty pissed at the Muslim population here at home looking for a little revenge.

Not to mention attempted door to door confiscations, or at the very least, talk of it. four guys able to murder thousands with AK's and several hundred rounds per man would absolutely get that talk going again.

Believe me when I say that an attack at the Mall (There is only one "The Mall") would be an anti gun rights perfect storm.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Mall of 'AMERICA' - Bloomington, MN
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nairobe style mall attack at Christmas probably gives them boners.

Mall of 'AMERICA' - Bloomington, MN

Winner winner chicken dinner.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#50]
nowhere
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top