BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What if you put ammo into a trust?  Say a case of 5.56.

Does that mean if you are raided for any reason, the authorities may not seize your ammo?  Does placing money in a trust protect you from asset forfeiture?

If ammo is placed in a trust, can you still use it?  IE shoot the whole case and then just remove it from the trust?  What is the process like?

Can a New Yorker place a 30-round pmag into a trust and be legal, or is the trust subject to the laws of that state?  Can I open a trust in a different state from where my primary residence is and put everything into that trust?
View Quote

oh, wow.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
lol  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those in the know. Would it be a stupid idea to put a GF on a trust?
lol  

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's a trust, not a "I can do whatever I want and get away with it" device.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can somebody elaborate on other uses for trusts?  What else could a trust be used for besides NFA items?

As a NY resident, NFA items are still illegal, so I'm not sure how much use I would get out of a trust.
Estate planning. You can add homes, property, anything to a trust. You can assign beneficiaries for certain property and stuff like that.

Does that mean if you are raided for any reason, the authorities may not seize your ammo?  Does placing money in a trust protect you from asset forfeiture?

If ammo is placed in a trust, can you still use it?  IE shoot the whole case and then just remove it from the trust?  What is the process like?

Can a New Yorker place a 30-round pmag into a trust and be legal, or is the trust subject to the laws of that state?  Can I open a trust in a different state from where my primary residence is and put everything into that trust?

So I can't put all my cocaine in my trust? FUCK!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can somebody elaborate on other uses for trusts?  What else could a trust be used for besides NFA items?

As a NY resident, NFA items are still illegal, so I'm not sure how much use I would get out of a trust.
Estate planning. You can add homes, property, anything to a trust. You can assign beneficiaries for certain property and stuff like that.

I don't think a trust is what you need.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not asking a hypothetical about placing a murder weapon into a trust, or anything federally illegal, but you know that different states have different definitions.  What is good in 45 states is illegal in 5 of them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is really the primary purpose of a trust.  It prevents your estate (possessions) from getting tied up in probate upon your death (which is really just a death tax and a way to make probate lawyers a bunch of money).  I have heard that you should keep an NFA trust separate from your other possessions though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I included my wife as a Co-Trustee on mine. I didn't realize that as a Co, she would have to come down and sign it in front of the notary also. She doesn't want to take the time out of her day to go get it signed (I got a major eye roll when I informed her of my new plot for NFA toys ), so I'm already having to ask them to edit it back to just myself and Ill add her as a beneficiary - I used the "make changes" link in their documentation. I hadn't signed it yet, so they should be able to just make the change on the document it looks like. I guess I'll see how good their customer service is.

So FYI for those who haven't filled out their form yet, if you add someone as a Co-trustee, make sure they will be available to go with you to do the notarizing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So if I already know which of my lowers I intend to SBR, I could put "Lower Receiver Serial #XXXXX" in Schedule A, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP is always finding deals and posting them here... My credit card hates you.

Now that I am waiting for the trust to get created  - what's next?

1)Once I get the paperwork, go get it notarized?

2) How do I add that $1 to the trust to "activate it" and make it legit?

3) once 1 and 2 are complete, I assume I can run down to the local fun stuff store to order fun stuff, correct?

1) Yep.
2) You fill out the schedule A and write "$1 Federal Reserve Note Serial #87" on it.
3) Pretty much.

So if I already know which of my lowers I intend to SBR, I could put "Lower Receiver Serial #XXXXX" in Schedule A, right?

This. I have a 9mm AR pistol that I want to SBR, so instead of the dollar can I just go ahead and add the lower since it will need to on there anyway?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Then you need to move to one of the 45 states.  A trust is just a legal device. It's not a federal thing or a state thing, and it doesn't make illegal stuff legal in your state just because it's in a trust.
View Quote

This.  I bought one as NFA items that are permitable in my state are not entertained by my CLEO, and he doesn't sign off on them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Then you need to move to one of the 45 states.  A trust is just a legal device. It's not a federal thing or a state thing, and it doesn't make illegal stuff legal in your state just because it's in a trust.
View Quote

That's understandable.Can you establish a trust in a different state and keep the NFA items there for use, even though your residence is in a place where they are banned?  (I'm not asking about bringing the NFA items to the banned state, but legally being able to keep and use them where they are legal).
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So FYI for those who haven't filled out their form yet, if you add someone as a Co-trustee, make sure they will be available to go with you to do the notarizing.
View Quote

Shit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's understandable.Can you establish a trust in a different state and keep the NFA items there for use, even though your residence is in a place where they are banned?  (I'm not asking about bringing the NFA items to the banned state, but legally being able to keep and use them where they are legal).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That should be fine as long as you can prove that you maintain a residence in the free state of your choosing, and then that would be the address of the trust.
(I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.)
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I FO'd
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit.
So you made the mistake too huh? It looks like they'll make changes for free within the first 72 hours of your receiving the documents. But I Haven't heard anything back yet about my request to change.

Knew I would stub my toe at least once in the process. Just wasn't expecting it on the first day
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm pretty sure I'm going to finally take this leap.  So many questions though.  

I saw a post earlier, but just want to confirm that all of the "authorized users" are added later, correct?  I only ask because that is not an available field when filling out the initial info.

My son is not 18 years old (not even walking yet, haha), so when can I add him?

Is anyone else adding co-trustees or maintaining full and total control only to yourself?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So you made the mistake too huh? It looks like they'll make changes for free within the first 72 hours of your receiving the documents. But I Haven't heard anything back yet about my request to change.

Knew I would stub my toe at least once in the process. Just wasn't expecting it on the first day
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit.

Look at the timestamp on my "oh shit" post. In that time the matter has been resolved.
Well, almost resolved. The guy emailed me back and forth a few times, and he said he'd have the updated version of my documents emailed back to me later this evening.
So all is well in the world, once again.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Fent.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I saw a post earlier, but just want to confirm that all of the "authorized users" are added later, correct?  I only ask because that is not an available field when filling out the initial info.

Is anyone else adding co-trustees or maintaining full and total control only to yourself?
View Quote

Dont add co-trustees. Just make them beneficiaries or authorized users on the documents after He sends them to your email.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dont add co-trustees. Just make them beneficiaries or authorized users on the documents after He sends them to your email.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, thanks.  So it sounds like I'll make my wife a beneficiary, then add her again as authorized user along with a select few close friends and family.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Awesome, thanks.  So it sounds like I'll make my wife a beneficiary, then add her again as authorized user along with a select few close friends and family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you add authorized users after they send you the documents? Is there an example out there?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How do you add authorized users after they send you the documents? Is there an example out there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be nice if their website had an example trust to look at.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Ha, didn't think about that ^.  Good point.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ha, didn't think about that ^.  Good point.
View Quote

And the PDFs are password protected, so you can't edit them. I was going to take out a cotrustee myself but I have to wait for them to edit it for me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#29]
purchased

I guess I need to save up for a suppressor now
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Is the notary only needed to initiate the trust, make changes, or when you add something (new toy) to it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious about this part too.  I'm thinking of putting myself down as the sole trustee, but putting my wife as the successor trustee, should anything happen to me.  I would also like to put her in as an authorized user, along with a couple of others, if that means that they can legally access and use my NFA stuff without me present.  

An example would be nice for some of this stuff, even if it didn't show the entire trust.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#33]

re: "4"... to buy stuff we need a bank account in the name of the trust? I can't send a money order or use a personal credit card?  How does the $1 from "2" get "in" the trust?"?

Quoted:

(I am not a lawyer)

1. Get a trust (from your lawyer, from 199trusts, etc) and get it filled out
2. Fund the trust ($1 gets you started - Schedule A)
3. Get it notarized
4. (Optional) Setup a bank account for the trust (to be used for sending checks to BATFE or buying stuff for the trust)
5. Use the trust when sending in Form 1 or Form 4.
6. Pew pew pew
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i want to do it!! but have absolutely no clue how to do it  is there a write up that lays it out step by step in black and white? even screen shots of an example trust?

(I am not a lawyer)

3. Get it notarized
4. (Optional) Setup a bank account for the trust (to be used for sending checks to BATFE or buying stuff for the trust)
6. Pew pew pew

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

re: "4"... to buy stuff we need a bank account in the name of the trust? I can't send a money order or use a personal credit card?  How does the $1 from "2" get "in" the trust?"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
i want to do it!! but have absolutely no clue how to do it  is there a write up that lays it out step by step in black and white? even screen shots of an example trust?

(I am not a lawyer)

3. Get it notarized
6. Pew pew pew

You don't need a bank account. You can use your personal bank account and/or credit card.

You just write $1 US Currency and if you want, the serial number of the bill in the Schedule A portion of the trust.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is the notary only needed to initiate the trust, make changes, or when you add something (new toy) to it?
View Quote

The notary is only need to initiate the trust.  They witness that you actually signed the trust.  

The trust will refer to a list of items that is attached to the trust as property of the trust.   This is the list of property that the trust owns (it is usually called Schedule A).    As the Grantor of the trust you can add and remove property from Schedule A anytime.   When you get a new NFA toy, just add it to Schedule A with pen, or revise Schedule A on the computer and reprint it, re-sign and date, and place it with the trust.  Discard old Schedule A.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#37]
done.

been meaning to do this for a while.

69$ plus a stamp is almost the same as one of those stupid sig arm braces
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
done.

View Quote

Yeah only about 150 more.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
done.

They're ugly, so worth the $150 as far as I'm concerned
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#40]
just got an email from gearhog, they're almost out of the $69 gun trusts, get 'em before they're banned!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
just got an email from gearhog, they're almost out of the $69 gun trusts, get 'em before they're banned!  
View Quote

Arfcom buy em out? lol
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I just need to think of a proper name for the trust.  What are you all doing?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

The "your last name" Trust
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I fent. With how fast Form 1s are now I'll be making an SBR shortly.
View Quote

My boss just got his SBR approved, 3 weeks with the efile from when he submitted.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Look at the timestamp on my "oh shit" post. In that time the matter has been resolved.

Well, almost resolved. The guy emailed me back and forth a few times, and he said he'd have the updated version of my documents emailed back to me later this evening.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit.

Huh, nice. I haven't heard anything back, but I didnt email him, just submitted the change form with the problem description. I probably just went into a queue somewhere in his system.

Im not in a rush to submit my first stamp, so Im ok with waiting. Glad he took care of you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Mistake #6:  Using Personal Funds to Purchase a Title II Firearm for the NFA Gun Trust

When you form  an NFA Gun Trust to acquire one or more Title II firearms, the money to purchase the firearms must come from the owner of the firearms, i.e., from the trust.  The Trustee of the Gun Trust must open a bank account in the name of the Gun Trust then deposit into that account the money needed to purchase Title II firearms and administer the trust.  When the trust buys an NFA Title II firearm, it writes a check on the Gun Trust’s checking account and pays for the firearm with the Trust’s funds.

Warning:  When you have an NFA Gun Trust, do not pay for Title II firearms with your money.  Always purchase Title II firearms with Gun Trust money.

Saw this on another site.  Seems to contradict what some are saying here.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#47]
does the successor trustee have to be there when you get it notarized?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is what i'm leaning towards, "strizzo family trust"
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just did mine as well and went with " The Tree of Liberty Trust".
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought about getting "The Pew³ Trust"
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top