Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/25/2014 8:39:31 AM EDT
WEST POINT, Miss. -- West Point police said a man received life-threatening injuries in what they are investigating as an aggravated assault at a restaurant.

Ralph Weems IV, who was injured early Saturday, was in fair condition Sunday at North Mississippi Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Genie Causey said without elaborating.

A relative, Bradley Barnes of Madison, told The Associated Press by telephone on Sunday that his brother-in-law was in a medically induced coma following brain surgery. "They're going to try and wake him up tomorrow and see what damage was done," Barnes said, describing Weems as a 32-year-old former Marine who had served in Iraq.

David Knighten of West Point told AP earlier by phone that he and Weems had gone to a Waffle House early Saturday. He said a man waved him over outside the restaurant and told him politely that people were upset by the killing of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, and it wasn't a safe place for whites. When he went in, he said, Weems was inside and was arguing with other men.

They left after an argument that brought police, Knighten said. He said he showed those officers his .45-caliber handgun and his concealed carry permit.

That was about 1 a.m., according to police, who did not give either man's name in a press release posted by WCBI-TV.

On the way to Weems' house, Knighten said, they went into a Huddle House restaurant with a nearly vacant parking lot.

However, he said, they apparently had been followed by more than 20 people.

Knighten, who said he had served with the Air Force in Afghanistan, said he came out of the restroom to find Weems surrounded. "I was trying to defuse the situation," he said.

After some shoving, he said, the security guard told everyone to leave.

Knighten said some people blocked him from leaving with Weems. When he got out, he said, Weems was down and people were kicking him. Knighten said others attacked him, adding "I do remember racial slurs being yelled from the crowd."

Knighten says he has broken bones in his face, a cut over his left eye and a blood clot in his right eye.

Police did not arrive until after the crowd had left, he said.

Police said they were called to the Huddle House about 2 a.m.

"It's not clear whether or not all of the parties were involved in both incidents," the police statement said.

Police Chief Tim Brinkley did not immediately return a call Sunday from The AP.

"This does not appear to be a hate crime," he said in the press release. "We are investigating this as an aggravated assault. It's very early in this investigation but thus far the evidence and statements suggest that a verbal altercation turned physical and somebody got hurt."
View Quote

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2014/08/mississippi_man_beaten_after_h.html
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Isolated incident
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Police Chief Tim Brinkley says investigators are reviewing surveillance video and putting together a list of suspects.
View Quote

But, its definitely not a "Hate Crime". What a coward.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#3]
People are eventually going to have enough with this "not a hate crime" shit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, it is a good thing  they weren't HATEFUL.
That would be bad, right ?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#5]
black on white crime is not a hate crime....
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Police Chief Tim Brinkley says investigators are reviewing surveillance video and putting together a list of suspects.

Agree.  It has everything to do with race. No person, whatever color, should be attacked because of their color.  This was clearly racially motivated.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Pretty amazing nobody got shot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now you know why.

Tim Brinkley is the new West Point Police Chief.
Brinkley was named to the post at the August 9 meeting of the West Point Board of Selectmen.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#10]
20 people following you? That's when you pop the trunk and thank God for 30 round magazines.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#11]
So this stupid fuck went into a restaurant after he was warned not to . Then his buddy showed off a .45 pistol and both still got their asses kicked . What part of stupid am I failing to understand .
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been in that Waffle House. He should have shot to slidelock.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Do we need to begin emailing the police chief to explain that this is racially motivated and a hate crime.  This one is not hard to understand.    Coward.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#14]
don't you guys know.....you can't have a "hate crime/race issue" unless it's white on (insert minority).
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
people were upset by the killing of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, and it wasn't a safe place for whites.

*Snip*

"This does not appear to be a hate crime," he said in the press release."
View Quote

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2014/08/mississippi_man_beaten_after_h.html
View Quote

Umm... What?

This reporter needs to educate themselves on what a hate crime is.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#16]
So let's see if Drudge is too cowardly to run this story.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Dupe, but a terrible thread title
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1659186_Stay_frosty_and_use_good_judgement__link____Thank_you_Media_and_Al_Sharpton_.html
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#18]
When do we start burning down our own neighborhoods?

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Witnesses on the scene were interviewed but were unable to give any details leading to the identity of the aggressors. The victim was accompanied by at least two other individuals who gave statements about the assault.

The witnesses described the aggressors as a group of black males but couldn’t provide any other information. The victim of the assault is white. Chief Tim Brinkley said, “This does not appear to be a hate crime. We are investigating this as an aggravated assault. It’s very early in this investigation but thus far the evidence and statements suggest that a verbal altercation turned physical and somebody got hurt.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Aside from the obvious blame needs to be assigned to the perpetrators...

Ignored straightforward warnings, failed avoidance, failed deterrence, failed deescalation, then failed use of appropriate force...

...his .45-caliber handgun and his concealed carry permit... Knighten said some people blocked him from leaving with Weems... Knighten says he has broken bones in his face, a cut over his left eye and a blood clot in his right eye.
View Quote

I'm not sure what would have been appropriate in that particular situation, but that's probably when the gun should have come out at least to low ready. When a large crowd of violent people stalk you, harass you, and don't let you leave, there's no good outcome there for you.

Also, wonder if it was a 1911 with low capacity mags he was carrying...

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Seems like he had plenty of time to rid the world of a few ass holes.  If you're not willing to shoot, don't carry.  

I've seen enough WSHH videos to know that it is not smart to wait until the last minute or to try to reason with a mob of WSHHers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#22]
There's parts of Mississippi where you'd honestly think you got teleported to Mogadishu, if it weren't for the lack of hyenas on chains and RPG splatter marked architecture.

I'd tell stories, but the ones that haven't seen wouldn't believe and the ones that have don't need to be told.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Eventually the racism that is growing in this country will need to be addressed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
20 people following you? That's when you pop the trunk and thank God for 30 round magazines and that you're not in a slave state.
View Quote

fify
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#26]
If a mob of 20 white men followed a black guy around town to then beat him, there's zero doubt that it'd be a hate crime and the feds would be all over it.

What a country we've become.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So this stupid fuck went into a restaurant after he was warned not to . Then his buddy showed off a .45 pistol and both still got their asses kicked . What part of stupid am I failing to understand .
View Quote

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that picked up on this.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

He showed it to police earlier in the night, article doesn't say if he took it out prior to getting beaten. In any event, I'm sure that gun is now gracing the waistband of some lowlife thug.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#30]
at least our president is back, no wait...race breed religion of peace?....isolated insident?  time to riot?  get the rev and jesse on the line? kill whitey? Fo time? help me out GD...what is the proper response here?

that said....he won the right prize IMO, guy got what he was looking for.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If a mob of 20 white men followed a black guy around town to then beat him, there's zero doubt that it'd be a hate crime and the feds would be all over it.

What a country we've become.
View Quote

Apples and oranges.  You are supposed to hate white people.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Know how I can tell you didn't read the article?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like someone needed to read Derbyshire's rules and take them to heart.  A little late now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Hate crime...
Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If someone tells you fire is hot and it will burn you and you go run through it and you get burned did you deserve it?

trying to show off or be a tough guy or thinking you are special will get you brought back to planet earth pretty quick sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#36]
I wonder how the back 9 will play today for the president.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've been in West Point that Waffle House. He should have shot to slidelock.
View Quote

FIFY.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I wonder how the back 9 will play today for the president.
View Quote

Just fine
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#39]
It is a HATE crime.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yea, that whole "not a hate crime" shit is going to keep on until some white guy defends themself
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There's parts of Mississippi where you'd honestly think you got teleported to Mogadishu, if it weren't for the lack of hyenas on chains and RPG splatter marked architecture.

I'd tell stories, but the ones that haven't seen wouldn't believe and the ones that have don't need to be told.
View Quote

I can attest to this.  Not far at all from third world.  We are hopefully getting out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
Probably afraid of getting Zimmerman'ed combined with a lack of commitment to inflict direct violence on a threat. Not that people should be beaten, but there was a whole lot of stupid and lack of situational awareness involved.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#43]
should have started shooting and definitely should not have seperated
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I can attest to this.  Not far at all from third world.  We are hopefully getting out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.  But some places are very nice.  I'm staying because I live in one of those places.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention, there's a security guard at a Huddle House.

That  should have tipped them off that something ain't right.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#47]
We should make statues of this man and elevate him to the status of MLK and Rosa Parks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

20 v 2? Would have been a good shoot
View Quote
I can read it in the Clarion Ledger now: "White man fires into crowd of Michael Brown protesters at Huddle House in West Point".

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Personally, I avoid AO's as described, at all costs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

No they won't.

"People" don't care.

The individuals that will eventually get "tired" of it and "do something" will be charged with hate crimes.

Welcome to the new America.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top