BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Its not that old. Farias committed suicide last week after finding out he was being relieved of duty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think this is fairly old news....

That said, it needs to shouted from the rooftops that these assholes were literally stealing from taxpayers by faking their OverTime.

Its not that old. Farias committed suicide last week after finding out he was being relieved of duty.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
People actually go to trial for traffic violations in Houston?

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That said, it needs to shouted from the rooftops that these assholes were literally stealing from taxpayers by faking their OverTime.
View Quote

Wonder what they'll get for it? Likely nothing near what they should.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

http://www.khou.com/story/news/crime/2014/08/21/motorist-caught-in-alleged-hpd-ticket-rigging-scheme/14375177/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A fourth officer under investigation, Rudolph Farias, shot and killed himself Tuesday afternoon in a police parking garage near downtown.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/crime/2014/08/21/motorist-caught-in-alleged-hpd-ticket-rigging-scheme/14375177/

Good riddance.  Fucking thieves.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've had exceedingly good luck going to court on traffic offenses.

I have a clean record as a result.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The other guy radar'd him and the other officer caught him.

Traffic teams often work in pairs. One radars the other is the rabbit...etc.

View Quote

There you go again, posting something completely asinine.

Wtf devildog, you lose your marbles?  Did you even read the linked article?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#7]
isolated incident

99% of cops are there to "protect and serve" the public
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Easy fix.  Fire all the officers involved
View Quote

And prosecute them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The whole hourly wage things for cops is a racket.  They should be exempt just like other professionals and salaried, not paid hourly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The whole overtime for court is a complete racket.

Court should be part of a patrol officers regularly scheduled 40 hours.

You could double most city's police force with what they scam on OT.

The whole hourly wage things for cops is a racket.  They should be exempt just like other professionals and salaried, not paid hourly.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Isolated incident.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The others should too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did once,  and won.  Well,  the company attorney did.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The others should too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The others should too.

Maybe they don't have the right connections. Here a cop got caught stealing gas for his and his family's personal vehicles when gas was really expensive. despite stealing over $10,000 dollars worth of gas and being on video when he did it they not only didn't fire him but let him stay on another year to get his pension.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Maybe they don't have the right connections. Here a cop got caught stealing gas for his and his family's personal vehicles when gas was really expensive. despite stealing over $10,000 dollars worth of gas and being on video when he did it they not only didn't fire him but let him stay on another year to get his pension.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The others should too.

I had a cousin get caught using a dept card to do shit like that.  Almost 40k. They gave her a good reference for her transfer to another agency.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Shouldn't every ticket they have ever issued be expunged and motorists given their money back?

If they are willing to lie about witnesses I bet  they are willing to give people made up  tickets.

There must be a case for some kind of class action  I would have thought? Or have I misunderstood the whole thing,
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You work for free? That is mighty generous of you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree with his point or not, how in the hell did you get 'work for free' from his post?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

How exactly do you plan to make that happen?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I hate court, I really hate traffic court... Ruining one of the few days off for a couple hours overtime is never worth it...  Most traffic guys are Monday -Friday and courts mon-fri so I don't see the OT aspect but who knows what they were doing ...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed. And as soon as my 40 hours are up and I'm not getting paid, my investigation into your stolen car/TV/money goes into "wait until next week" mode. I'm good with it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Agreed. And as soon as my 40 hours are up and I'm not getting paid, my investigation into your stolen car/TV/money goes into "wait until next week" mode. I'm good with it.
View Quote

If you're salaried, you get paid for results - not to warm a chair.

And also, of course, graded on results.

Theoretically - if an employee is not producing results, he / she should be let go.

That's the way it works for salaried folks in general.  Doesn't seem like LE need necessarily be any different.

The point is that saying 'i'm salaried so i'm only gonna work 40 hours a week and that's it' is not how it works.  Whether one ends up working 20 hours for that week or 120, it's the results one is graded on - and paid for.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
Absolutely they were literally stealing

They were also falsifying documents

They were also lying under oath in court

This kind of crime makes me wish we could put a big brand on the person's forehead.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

A fourth officer under investigation, Rudolph Farias, shot and killed himself Tuesday afternoon in a police parking garage near downtown.

double dick move.

Could at least have gone home and swallowed a bottle of pills, or laid out a sheet of plastic in the garage if he had to shoot himself.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
yep  

He was 51, and knew he would never have another leo job.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep  

sounds like an act of seppuku...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Theoretically - if an employee is not producing results, he / she should be let go.

That's the way it works for salaried folks in general.  Doesn't seem like LE need necessarily be any different.

The point is that saying 'i'm salaried so i'm only gonna work 40 hours a week and that's it' is not how it works.  Whether one ends up working 20 hours for that week or 120, it's the results one is graded on - and paid for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And the results of my work can be seen during my normal 40 hour work week.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Who shoots himself over being caught fudging speeding tickets?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And how did they not foresee being caught by eventually pulling over a cop from another agency, some supervisor they did not recognize, or some lawyer who knows how the tickets work and would look back and see only one cop etc etc. I suppose they were probably doing it forever but it seems like the dumbest scam ever.

Honestly?  Because the smartest people in Criminal Justice end up in an alphabet agency, the next rung down move up in the ranks so don't stay patrol for long.   Most city officers who are writing tickets are going to be of average intelligence at best...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LINK

HOUSTON -- On a Tuesday afternoon in March, Houston Police wrote up a Houston motorist for speeding in Northwest Houston. But he wasn't your everyday kind of driver.

"I've been behind the radar gun," said the man. He asked not to identified, because he too, is a police officer. We'll refer to him as Jerry.

And when HPD handed Jerry the ticket, there was a major red flag. "I immediately know that something's hinky with the ticket," Jerry said.

That's because the ticket-writing officer listed another HPD officer as a witness. "There was no other officer, he was the only officer there," Jerry said.

What he didn't know at the time, is what the I-Team has now uncovered through a paper trail of records--dozens of cases where HPD officers listed witnessing officers on tickets--who were never there.

It was all to allegedly collect hefty overtime checks by later appearing in traffic court.

Hunt said the Union is prepared to offer legal representation to Officers Gregory Rosa, Robert Manzanales and John Garcia. The three have been relieved of duty and reassigned to desk jobs while an internal affairs investigation proceeds.

The I-Team found the alleged ticket-rigging scheme took place mostly on highways. In one case in May, Officer Manzalnaes put Officer Farias down as a witness at 11:24 p.m. at I-10 and Westcott Street.

But at the same exact time, records show Farias was writing a ticket nine miles away at I-10 and Wilcrest.

http://i.imgur.com/OPmJQUH.jpg

I had that happen to me in north houston, got pulled over, and i knew i didnt do anything wrong infront of him, and the officer says i was paced by a cop in an unmarked car, and that officer claimed he saw me doing 70 in a 60, following too close, and not using my blinker. i thought that was a load of BS, so got a lawyer to fight it, and the lawyer got the court date reset, showed up and the cop was a no show, and the 700$ ticket was dismissed. but i still had to pay the lawyer 200 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The best part of this entire story is that there is a union in Texas.

Suck balls Texas. Suck these little Chinese nuts.

http://i50.tinypic.com/rkx7c8.gif

View Quote

Don't mess with Texas.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Usually a cop who knows they are going to find a lot more once they start digging.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

And how did they not foresee being caught by eventually pulling over a cop from another agency, some supervisor they did not recognize, or some lawyer who knows how the tickets work and would look back and see only one cop etc etc. I suppose they were probably doing it forever but it seems like the dumbest scam ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly?  Because the smartest people in Criminal Justice end up in an alphabet agency, the next rung down move up in the ranks so don't stay patrol for long.   Most city officers who are writing tickets are going to be of average intelligence at best...

The second brightest get promoted? You don't know dick about LE, huh?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep  

sounds like you don't understand seppuku

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Only the issuing officer goes to court here even if others witnessed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They have to list a witness on their tickets?

Only the issuing officer goes to court here even if others witnessed it.

Sounds like they've already had their hand caught in the cookie jar before then

Y'all should really bring back Tammany Hall. You're already keeping the tradition of corruption live and well up there
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

fair enough...the best ass kissers get promoted, the decent cops get moved over to more productive work than writing tickets.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
pleasepleaseplease let them have actually offered testimony.....
View Quote

This!

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

fair enough...the best ass kissers get promoted, the decent cops get moved over to more productive work than writing tickets.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

yep  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep  

GrumpyCatGood.jpg? One down, three to go? Better dead than R.E.D.?

Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds plausible, we'll see what the investigation turns up

I'd think if there were a reasonable explanation to this, the guy wouldn't have offed himself. Maybe he didn't have much faith in his union rep, which is odd given their astounding track record for getting cops out of all sorts of jams.

Quoted:

In my experience, such things are about as common as unicorns. It's "here's your police report, have a nice day. Oh? You wanted us to actually investigate? Well, we don't do that. We're too busy scamming traffic court overtime. Your stuff is gone, just accept it and move on. We sure have."
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  

View All Quotes
Quoted:  

So, a good shoot then:
http://www.khou.com/story/news/investigations/2014/08/19/ticket-rigging-internal-investigation/14322667/

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Why I am not surprised....  One more point for the anti gun police chief...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#44]
So I guess it is the wrong time to mention the hpd officer, who just got popped selling a kilo????
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

In my experience, such things are about as common as unicorns. It's "here's your police report, have a nice day. Oh? You wanted us to actually investigate? Well, we don't do that. We're too busy scamming traffic court overtime. Your stuff is gone, just accept it and move on. We sure have."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If we worked that way, I'd have been sent off to dig ditches. My job relies on citizen contacts, arresting shitbags and solving cases.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#46]
What's even worse is I'll bet they were working OT when they wrote the tickets, and yes, I believe they had also given false testimony. He was facing jail time. Stupidity coupled with greed is a bad combination.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Shouldn't every ticket they have ever issued be expunged and motorists given their money back?

If they are willing to lie about witnesses I bet  they are willing to give people made up  tickets.

There must be a case for some kind of class action  I would have thought? Or have I misunderstood the whole thing,
View Quote

And we are to assume that false overtime is the only thing that they would lie about. Right?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Who does this? Every cop who ever posted here said he knew where to sit where he could write tickets all day long if he wanted to do that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What results/metrics would you like used to measure a cops performance - number of citations issued or arrests made?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I try to avoid court like a mother fucker.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top