Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I see that the "false flag" and Obama Derangement Syndrome issues cropped up early.  That's not to say that such doesn't comprise arguable points, but having been in the side business lately of teaching some threat modeling with an eye toward WMD subjects to MS students, I have to say that being dismissive of the repeated admonitions from the last few presidential administrations regarding the terrorist nuclear threat is rather short-sighted.  If nothing else, said threat has been consistently and publicly mentioned as a top concern.

I know we've entertained the possibilities of a missing 777 where the nefarious goals of bad guys are concerned.  After 9/11/2001 planes look different to us and Israel at least entertained the thought that the disappearance may have been a terrorist plot.  This doesn't speak directly to a potential nuclear threat, though.  What may draw one's attention to potential nuclear ambitions on the part of ISIS, in particular, was the group's seizure of 88 lbs. of ultimately useless uranium products from a lab in Mosul several weeks ago.  While the uranium wasn't of any particular use for either a fission device or a dirty bomb, the fact that ISIS did acquire and take note of the material is interesting.  Did they know they were looking for uranium?  Were they simply interested in radiological materials for a dirty bomb?  In any case, could ISIS have directed toward procuring fissile material in the first place, or was the rather pointless discovery of the uranium in Mosul something that spawned the idea within the group to spin up a plan for procurement of such material?

An article from The Atlantic covers the subject in some detail, though it's dated, being from 2006.  I figure the apparatus for sourcing material is both different and the same these days.  Regardless, ISIS is managing to fund it's self impressively and the ISIS PR/IO campaign, recruiting and mission statement of establishing a caliphate is pretty different, too, which implies substantial influence and sourcing abilities compared to previous organizations of that type.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/12/how-to-get-a-nuclear-bomb/305402/4/

And miniaturization is not that important for your purposes. You can operate well enough with a car-sized device locked into a shipping container or loaded into a private airplane behind a couple of dedicated pilots.
The alternative is highly enriched uranium, or HEU, the variant of natural uranium that has been refined to contain artificially dense concentrations of the fissionable isotope U 235. Operationally it is wonderful material—the perfect fuel for a garage-made bomb. During processing, uranium takes the form of an invisible gas, a liquid, a powder, and finally a dull grey metal. It has approximately the toxicity of lead, and would sicken shop workers who happened to swallow traces of it or breathe in its dust, but otherwise it is not immediately dangerous, and indeed is so mildly radioactive that it can be picked up with bare hands and, when lightly shielded, taken past many radiation monitors without setting off alarms.
View Quote

Prior to that article, Bush and Kerry were talking about it in the 2004 time frame.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/40204058?uid=2&uid=4&sid=21104551098677

While the threat stream may be more complicated with a Sunni/Shia separation where Iran is concerned, McCain did express some concern: "My greatest fear is the Iranians acquire a nuclear weapon and give it to a terrorist organization. And there is a real threat of them doing that."- John McCain.  So, if you want to go down the "false flag" road, imagine an Iran, Saudi Arabia or other nation or proxy organization, acting unilaterally or in some form of concert, ensuring that ISIS does eventually get what they need in order to bring the U.S. into the fray for the purposes of dealing with a problem universal all concerned.  Consider a Russia in need of a diversion from its European ambitions, perhaps with a bunch of Cold War uranium which has already been off the books for a couple decades, at least officially for one reason or another.  Pretty damn tinfoil.

At any rate, the nuclear terrorism threat has gotten some consistent play for a while, which means nothing on its own, but the pattern is present to anyone trying to dig up enough material for a couple hours of classroom discussion.

"The likelihood of a nuclear weapon attack in an American city is steadily increasing, and the consequences will be overwhelming," said Cham Dallas,Cham Dallas, the director of the Center for Mass Destruction Defense
View Quote

“…the single biggest threat to U.S. security, both short term, medium term and long term, would be the possibility of a terrorist organization obtaining a nuclear weapon…If there was ever a detonation in New York City, or London, or Johannesburg,  the ramifications economically, politically, and from a security perspective would be devastating…”
— President Barack Obama, April 11, 2010
View Quote

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2010/04/obama-kicks-off-nuclear-summit-with-five-leader-meetings/1

2012 Rehash

2014 stuff from Obama and Cheney.

http://mashable.com/2014/03/26/obama-nuclear-attack-nyc/

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/03/25/obama-russia-more-worried-about-nuclear-attack-manhattan

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/25/dick-cheney-predicts-us-will-suffer-nuclear-attack-before-end-of-the-decade_n_5529872.html

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/24/cheney-predicts-far-deadlier-attack-against-u-s-in-next-decade/
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would agree with you, but I think your completely misunderstanding the monetary leverage these guys have.  They already have billions, yes that's right, billions of dollars in cash they looted from Iraq and Syria.  They also have legitimate "business" going on where they are selling natural resources (IIRC they are selling oil from captured drill sites in Syria to Al Assad to help in his fight against the FSA) which rake in at last account about 2 million dollars a day.

It may not be easy, but with that kind of money on the line, they'll find a seller sooner or later.  It doesn't even have to be state sponsored.  Most of the countries in that portion of the world with nuclear programs DO NOT have the same security and restrictions over their stockpiles and operations that the US does.  I would venture a guess it wouldn't be too difficult for a sneaky scientist in one of these countries to "liberate" some of those materials and transfer them to whoever they wanted in order to supplement what I would guess is meager pay at best.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is one way to blow up a major city, Inhofe and Hagel, you putzes, and that is a atomic bomb.

As vile as ISIS may be, they do not have the refined uranium or plutonium to build one, and no one is dumb enough to sell them one.

So run off and spread your fantasies somewhere esls, you twatwaffles.

I would agree with you, but I think your completely misunderstanding the monetary leverage these guys have.  They already have billions, yes that's right, billions of dollars in cash they looted from Iraq and Syria.  They also have legitimate "business" going on where they are selling natural resources (IIRC they are selling oil from captured drill sites in Syria to Al Assad to help in his fight against the FSA) which rake in at last account about 2 million dollars a day.

It may not be easy, but with that kind of money on the line, they'll find a seller sooner or later.  It doesn't even have to be state sponsored.  Most of the countries in that portion of the world with nuclear programs DO NOT have the same security and restrictions over their stockpiles and operations that the US does.  I would venture a guess it wouldn't be too difficult for a sneaky scientist in one of these countries to "liberate" some of those materials and transfer them to whoever they wanted in order to supplement what I would guess is meager pay at best.  

The solution to all that is this:

Quoted:
This isn't the crisis Democrats want.

This isn't made up. It is a real threat.

No doubt the Democrats will make the most of whatever happens, but they would rather focus on other things. The security threat ISIS represents suggests several things Obama doesn't want: control of the borders, military strength and engagement in Iraq.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]

pfft, you guys. lol.  All we have to do is have the FBI investigate and take out a restraining order.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is one way to blow up a major city, Inhofe and Hagel, you putzes, and that is a atomic bomb.

As vile as ISIS may be, they do not have the refined uranium or plutonium to build one, and no one is dumb enough to sell them one.

So run off and spread your fantasies somewhere esls, you twatwaffles.

View Quote

HEU is literally laying around Russia in the open. Unguarded. Unsecured.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#5]
ISIS is a threat, but not a threat like that. This is starting to go alittle overboard on rhetoric.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Remember that there have been several cases of "students" being caught at water resivours (sp?) around several cities back east? How much would it take the local population panicking if they found empty bags of poisons or herbicides there? What if they just put a couple of guys in 10 cars to drive around shooting up the city? They could completely bring a city to a halt. And it would stay that way for quite a while after the bad guys were dead, because people would be afraid to go out. Now imagine that was 10 cities.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#7]
One good thing about phoenix is our population grows out instead of up.  Non likely a target for terrorist type bs.  Even a big ass bomb wouldnt kill many people here. From end to end our metro area is about 70 miles.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ISIS wants to cripple then destroy the US, they want to make 9/11/01 look like child's play.  We are placing the future of our children and the safety of our nation in the hands of absolute idiots and first class morons!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I believe this may be to get support at home for a widening of our participation in Iraq and possibly a move in Syria. I sense it in the talk on the major news networks and out of Washington.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boy, it's almost like the government was about to sell us something.

Yep. I confess, my tinfoil must be too tight because that's exactly what this smells like.

I believe this may be to get support at home for a widening of our participation in Iraq and possibly a move in Syria. I sense it in the talk on the major news networks and out of Washington.

If that's the case then good.  I'm completely fine with the U.S. government aggressively assisting the Kurds and putting, <gasp>, "boots on the ground".  I'm sure you'll agree that it's to convince not most of us here but rather the people on DU.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#10]
If they did you know they wouldn't target DC, they'd be doing us a favor if they did.  Achmed the human detonator would have statues erected as a preserver of the nation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I see that the "false flag" and Obama Derangement Syndrome issues cropped up early.  That's not to say that such doesn't comprise arguable points, but having been in the side business lately of teaching some threat modeling with an eye toward WMD subjects to MS students, I have to say that being dismissive of the repeated admonitions from the last few presidential administrations regarding the terrorist nuclear threat is rather short-sighted.  If nothing else, said threat has been consistently and publicly mentioned as a top concern.

I know we've entertained the possibilities of a missing 777 where the nefarious goals of bad guys are concerned.  After 9/11/2001 planes look different to us and Israel at least entertained the thought that the disappearance may have been a terrorist plot.  This doesn't speak directly to a potential nuclear threat, though.  What may draw one's attention to potential nuclear ambitions on the part of ISIS, in particular, was the group's seizure of 88 lbs. of ultimately useless uranium products from a lab in Mosul several weeks ago.  While the uranium wasn't of any particular use for either a fission device or a dirty bomb, the fact that ISIS did acquire and take note of the material is interesting.  Did they know they were looking for uranium?  Were they simply interested in radiological materials for a dirty bomb?  In any case, could ISIS have directed toward procuring fissile material in the first place, or was the rather pointless discovery of the uranium in Mosul something that spawned the idea within the group to spin up a plan for procurement of such material?

An article from The Atlantic covers the subject in some detail, though it's dated, being from 2006.  I figure the apparatus for sourcing material is both different and the same these days.  Regardless, ISIS is managing to fund it's self impressively and the ISIS PR/IO campaign, recruiting and mission statement of establishing a caliphate is pretty different, too, which implies substantial influence and sourcing abilities compared to previous organizations of that type.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/12/how-to-get-a-nuclear-bomb/305402/4/

Prior to that article, Bush and Kerry were talking about it in the 2004 time frame.

While the threat stream may be more complicated with a Sunni/Shia separation where Iran is concerned, McCain did express some concern: "My greatest fear is the Iranians acquire a nuclear weapon and give it to a terrorist organization. And there is a real threat of them doing that."- John McCain.  So, if you want to go down the "false flag" road, imagine an Iran, Saudi Arabia or other nation or proxy organization, acting unilaterally or in some form of concert, ensuring that ISIS does eventually get what they need in order to bring the U.S. into the fray for the purposes of dealing with a problem universal all concerned.  Consider a Russia in need of a diversion from its European ambitions, perhaps with a bunch of Cold War uranium which has already been off the books for a couple decades, at least officially for one reason or another.  Pretty damn tinfoil.

At any rate, the nuclear terrorism threat has gotten some consistent play for a while, which means nothing on its own, but the pattern is present to anyone trying to dig up enough material for a couple hours of classroom discussion.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2010/04/obama-kicks-off-nuclear-summit-with-five-leader-meetings/1

2012 Rehash

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/03/25/obama-russia-more-worried-about-nuclear-attack-manhattan

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/25/dick-cheney-predicts-us-will-suffer-nuclear-attack-before-end-of-the-decade_n_5529872.html

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/24/cheney-predicts-far-deadlier-attack-against-u-s-in-next-decade/
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And miniaturization is not that important for your purposes. You can operate well enough with a car-sized device locked into a shipping container or loaded into a private airplane behind a couple of dedicated pilots.
The alternative is highly enriched uranium, or HEU, the variant of natural uranium that has been refined to contain artificially dense concentrations of the fissionable isotope U 235. Operationally it is wonderful material—the perfect fuel for a garage-made bomb. During processing, uranium takes the form of an invisible gas, a liquid, a powder, and finally a dull grey metal. It has approximately the toxicity of lead, and would sicken shop workers who happened to swallow traces of it or breathe in its dust, but otherwise it is not immediately dangerous, and indeed is so mildly radioactive that it can be picked up with bare hands and, when lightly shielded, taken past many radiation monitors without setting off alarms.

"The likelihood of a nuclear weapon attack in an American city is steadily increasing, and the consequences will be overwhelming," said Cham Dallas,Cham Dallas, the director of the Center for Mass Destruction Defense

“…the single biggest threat to U.S. security, both short term, medium term and long term, would be the possibility of a terrorist organization obtaining a nuclear weapon…If there was ever a detonation in New York City, or London, or Johannesburg,  the ramifications economically, politically, and from a security perspective would be devastating…”

2012 Rehash

The first article you posted, http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/12/how-to-get-a-nuclear-bomb/305402/4/, was an absolutely fascinating read.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#12]
That Atlantic article is great. Well worth the time if you've never read it or have an interest in nuclear stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

not even last on their list.

They are fixated on New York...........don't ask me why, but it's almost religious with those guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're targeting Las Vegas. Just my guess.

not even last on their list.

They are fixated on New York...........don't ask me why, but it's almost religious with those guys.

They want Extorris. It's the only plausible answer!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If ISIS or anyone ever does something like that the retaliation would be monumental.
Only way is a nuke and I wouldn't want to be the rougue regime (Norks or Pakis)  that sold it to them.

View Quote

What about Ruskies or Chinese?

2 skyscrapers and the Pentagon put us in a recession, imagine a vaporized city.

Would we match our city for Beijng or Moscow? Doubt it....

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They're targeting Las Vegas. Just my guess.
View Quote

If you were going to hit a city you would want to maximize the blast but find a way to get it there. NYC would be difficult or DC. Chicago? A ship departs Canada parks in the harbor and detonates.

You know what....who knows?

It's always where you least expect it, conniving bastards.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

While I would much rather go and kill them all, this is what is going to happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh no! Quick, pass the SUPER Patriot Act and keep us safe!

While I would much rather go and kill them all, this is what is going to happen.

At this stage, any policitcal posturing wrt terrorists/terrorism makes me fear this first.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#17]

"…the single biggest threat to U.S. security, both short term, medium term and long term, would be the possibility of a terrorist organization obtaining a nuclear weapon…If there was ever a detonation in New York City, or London, or Johannesburg, the ramifications economically, politically, and from a security perspective would be devastating…”

View Quote

Johannesburg?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Who is funding ISIS? I keep hearing it is well-funded
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Asymmetrical warfare does not require sophisticated tactics or technology.

It only requires persistence and patience.  Unfortunately, they have an ample supply of both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Asymmetrical warfare does not require sophisticated tactics or technology.

It only requires persistence and patience.  Unfortunately, they have an ample supply of both.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Clear and Present Danger and what not.
Great book.
Movie sucked.

Speaking of Authors, Bracken.              FTMFW

View Quote

Don't you mean "Sum of all Fears?"
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If ISIS or anyone ever does something like that the retaliation would be monumental.
Only way is a nuke and I wouldn't want to be the rougue regime (Norks or Pakis)  that sold it to them.

View Quote

You sure "we" would retaliate as strongly as we would have before?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Also why isn't the NSA targeting and arresting those who are posting those Twitter pictures that ISIS is posting from their phone in American cities? I was told that we have the capability. Or is the NSA too busy targeting conservatives and political opponents to Obama?

Ah, nevermind, they're letting them walk right across the border so why would they care anyway
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Qatar
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#24]
So if ISIS comes in through the open Mexican border and attacks Chicago, does this mean we are in a Tom Clancy novel?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/08/22/ominous-tweet-connects-isis-threat-in-chicago/

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We partially created, funded, and trained "ISIS" in Syria.

Our regime is failing and needs more boogeymen to scare, and kill, us sheep to support MOAR WOAR.

Ask yourselves why "ISIS" isn't targeting Israel. Dig a little deeper.

View Quote

Educate me.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This really isn't propaganda.

There will be a nuclear attack on an American city in the next few years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, just propaganda so they have a reason to restrict us even more. I swear our own .gov is our worst enemy.

This really isn't propaganda.

There will be a nuclear attack on an American city in the next few years.

Define "next few years," please.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Point taken.
Hell we are thinking bomb and it could be something like poisoning a city water supply.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're raking in about $2 million/day through major black market and underworld connections and they are fighting a war in two countries that are believed to have been developing WMD programs.

Who said a state gave them anything? Maybe they are slapping something together from components that they captured and bought. Who says they couldn't have Pak or Syrian scientists working in building a bomb using material that they bought from the Russian mob, captured in Syria and smuggled out of Pakistan (for example)?

Point taken.
Hell we are thinking bomb and it could be something like poisoning a city water supply.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Oh no! Quick, pass the SUPER Patriot Act and keep us safe!
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Remember that there have been several cases of "students" being caught at water resivours (sp?) around several cities back east? How much would it take the local population panicking if they found empty bags of poisons or herbicides there? What if they just put a couple of guys in 10 cars to drive around shooting up the city? They could completely bring a city to a halt. And it would stay that way for quite a while after the bad guys were dead, because people would be afraid to go out. Now imagine that was 10 cities.
View Quote

That's what's never made sense. The Boston bombings and the Dormer deal out in Cali practically paralyzed the cities. If terrorists wanted to create fear and panic it would be so easy.
Only thing I can figure is they want to do big dramatic attacks which take a lot more planning and have a greater chance of discovery so they are far less in occurance. Plus the fact we took the wind out of their sails after 9-11 but they appear to be gaining some momentum again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's what's never made sense. The Boston bombings and the Dormer deal out in Cali practically paralyzed the cities. If terrorists wanted to create fear and panic it would be so easy.
Only thing I can figure is they want to do big dramatic attacks which take a lot more planning and have a greater chance of discovery so they are far less in occurance. Plus the fact we took the wind out of their sails after 9-11 but they appear to be gaining some momentum again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6 years of negligence and neglect.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#31]
And yet the govt lets more and more of them cross over the southern border everyday mixed in with the other foreign invaders.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't imagine the Chinese or Russians willing to risk the possible escalation it might cause.
They might not be our allies but they like life also. ISIS wants to go to vist Allah and the 72 virgins or whoever the hell it is and that fat fuck Nork seems crasy enough to give them what they need. Same as some of the elements in Pakistan also.
At the end of the day though you just never know what the hell might play out.
Could anyone have guessed 5 years ago we would be sitting in a world this messed up?

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

pfft, you guys. lol.  All we have to do is have the FBI investigate and take out a restraining order.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

They have oil fields in Syria and are selling the oil.
Some of it back to the Syrian govt from what I read somewhere.
They also pillaged a few banks in Iraq and got like 450 million from one alone iirc.
Some rumors of Saudi financing.
Supposedly might have a couple billion dollars.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#35]
read the radio active  boy scout its  a true story he built a nuke out of stuff from a hardware store so it can be done
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Fucking yawn. If they come here, we will kill them here.

Until then the, "This is why you need us (DHS)!" schtick is getting damn old.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Now is a good time to mention that I'll be on a United Airlines flight on 9/11.  Flying into D.C..  Yay.
View Quote

Dibs on ammo and guns??
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Johannesburg?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
"…the single biggest threat to U.S. security, both short term, medium term and long term, would be the possibility of a terrorist organization obtaining a nuclear weapon…If there was ever a detonation in New York City, or London, or Johannesburg, the ramifications economically, politically, and from a security perspective would be devastating…”

Johannesburg?

I know, right?

ETA: Vegas doesn't strike me as an impressive target, either.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The consequences of not responding strongly in that scenario would be very detrimental to the future of our country and the world.
But given the current situation with the lack of leadership in our country I really don't know,

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Johannesburg?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Johannesburg?

Gotta give props to Nelson, man.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet that one really hurt.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Qatar
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Qatar

That and a few tons of gold they got in Iraq, along with various funding syphoned off from before they split from FSA (Saudi, etc).
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/obama-proposes-500-million-to-aid-syrian-rebels-1403813486

Obama Proposes $500 Million to Aid Syrian Rebels...

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#44]
If they do Americans will be very upset, our leaders will tell us to keep consuming, and we'll conduct military action until the public grows weary of hearing about it. In the end, young citizens will have lost limbs and laid down their lives only for another generation to turn around and do the same thing soon after.  

This world is always in a constant state of war. There is no such thing as peace and never has been.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I know, right?

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/RictusGrin_2006/Vegas_zpseaf5d029.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Johannesburg?

I know, right?

sounds weird, but johannesburg is a major global center of commerce.

vegas would be a crappy target.  it's economically regionalized, and not plugged into the global economic network in a meaningful way.  if you're going to launch a 1-off attack, the best bang for the buck is to hit a major network node rather than simply going after the flashiest target.

the name of the game is connectivity.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If they do Shitcago, it better be on my day off....
View Quote

If Chitcago, I hope I'm far away too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm predicting the next target is Wall Street.
View Quote

with what has been going on the border I suspect something like Clancy's terrorist attack on shopping centers, a bunch of middle schools and high schools, or a major teaching hospital. We'll find out that Immigration and the DOJ actually had a hand in the dispersal of the terrorists.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

vegas would be a crappy target.  it's economically regionalized, and not plugged into the global economic network in a meaningful way.  if you're going to launch a 1-off attack, the best bang for the buck is to hit a major network node rather than simply going after the flashiest target.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Johannesburg?

I know, right?

Even given those criteria, CARVER doesn't support Johannesburg.  As mentioned before, it was a "shout out" to Mandela.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#50]
From the article:

"...on the heels of a press briefing where Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said the U.S. military's job is to 'get ready' for whatever battle might lie ahead."

Yet they are planning in major reductions in the size of the Army.  Dumb.   If you want to save money make major cuts to welfare programs.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top