Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 6:39:21 PM EDT
So I had 2 crowns put on my teeth about a month and half ago, upper right and upper left back molar. They still hurt when I chew stuff, not like bread and really soft food but chips or anything the like is freaking terrible. They do not hurt during my normal non chewing stuff day, only when i eat. Anyone else experience this? Will it go away in time? I am going back next week but I fear the worst that they will recommend a root canal. If they in fact do should I hold them partially liable for the cost, or is a crown a roll of the dice type thing? Not trying to be FSA but if its a workmanship issue I want them to be held accountable as the crowns were not cheap.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two. Both were sore for a couple of weeks but then settled down.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Two words, root canal.

Had the same situation, tooth below the crown was damaged worse than they hoped.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two words, root canal.

Had the same situation, tooth below the crown was damaged worse than they hoped.  
View Quote

Did they come in from the side of the tooth? It is my understanding that they can not drill through the material that the crown is made of.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Did they come in from the side of the tooth? It is my understanding that they can not drill through the material that the crown is made of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two words, root canal.

They just pluck the crown off and start rootin
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I ain't no help...

...(2) crowns and no problems so far...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two words, root canal.

They can remove a crown.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
On mine, the Dentist sent me for a root canal about 5 weeks before the crown was done.
The root canal had a temp filling which was removed when the crown was done.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Get to your dentist right away and have your bite checked.  Those crowns sound "high" (they are hitting the other teeth before the rest of the teeth) and traumatizing the teeth, causing that chewing sensitivity.  They will check your bite, adjust/polish the top of the crown and you should be much better.  It will be all of 2 minutes for them to do the adjustment.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I was told by my oral surgeon that if i needed a root canal after the fact that they would just dril down through the tooth and then do a filling, just like a cavity ion a normal tooth.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get to your dentist right away and have your bite checked.  Those crowns sound "high" (they are hitting the other teeth before the rest of the teeth) and traumatizing the teeth, causing that chewing sensitivity.  They will check your bite, adjust/polish the top of the crown and you should be much better.  It will be all of 2 minutes for them to do the adjustment.
View Quote

This....  I had to have an adjustment after the fact.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've so far never had a crown, but my dentist does a bite check even for fillings, and adjustments are included weeks later, if need be.  Only had that happen once.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine hurt for 2-3 months. I grind my teeth and it took 3 trips to the denist to get it all aligned for the nerves to calm down.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#13]
sounds like a root canal needed.  Infection in tooth nerve.  
They don't need to remove the crown for that.  They'll just drill a small hole through it, do the "canal", then patch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I have quite a few crowns.  I've only had one time where my tooth hurt for more than a day or two afterwards.  One of the crowns was a little too high so was putting extra pressure on the tooth when I bit down.  Took just a few minutes for the dentist to adjust it.

If you do need a root canal they can drill through the crown.  There is a risk of damaging the crown.  After the root canal they put in a filling to close the hole.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top