Quoted:

Truth.

Darwin must be on vacation somewhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
It'll be sweet if the go pro survives when one of these idiots finally falls.

Truth.

Darwin must be on vacation somewhere.

But Isaac Newton is always there
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Russia must be VERY boring for the amount of these videos that exist.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Alex is a solid rock climber.  14 pitch climb with 7 pitches of 5.12, with one of those being 5.12d.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Hold my vodka and watch this!

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#6]
When I watched that video I felt it...down there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhwhkwE1nws
View Quote

That guy survived.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#8]
If big money was involved, then I could do it.

I am not afraid of making a mistake, I don't make them under those circumstances.

But it costs for me to work under those conditions.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You've gotten wiser.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I stood with my toes hanging over the edge of a 10 story building once, but I was heavily involved in rock climbing at the time. It was no big deal. I couldn't do it now without freaking out a bit.

You've gotten wiser.

But if I spent a couple months climbing, I could do it again. It's all in your head. If you can stand on a parking curb without tipping over, you could stand on the edge of a roof without falling. There really is no difference other than dealing with the view.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#11]
He wont last long.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]
NO DAMN WAY!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I am firmly in the nope camp!

What I find even more interesting are the comments of "where" everyone feels it, fingers, legs, nutsack etc. For me, my feet throb when I am up high on something or even watching videos like this. I'm sure you guys were wondering about that, so you're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If big money was involved, then I could do it.

I am not afraid of making a mistake, I don't make them under those circumstances.

But it costs for me to work under those conditions.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Everyone will be sad the day he dies
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quite a ride, if you slip, or your ice ax pulls out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

My thumbs went numb watching him ascend the face.  And, watching him motor up the snow brought back some sketchy memories "hitchhiking" up a climb with some Swiss guides.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Dude has that blank look in his eyes.  Not many guys have that look.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Guy has a grip of steel. His adrenaline must be ridiculous, he'll just keep pushing it till he fails.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I guess when you live in a shitty country with no future, this seems like a reasonable form of entertainment.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you maintain good balance and contact, you can motor through stuff like that without much drama.

Steck's speed is mindboggling.  His ability to solve the kinematics is like watching a GHz-class processor vs a 486.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I guess when you live in a shitty country with no future, this seems like a reasonable form of entertainment.  
View Quote

That's always my reaction to these vids.

"Whelp, its better than vodka and krocodil."
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you maintain good balance and contact, you can motor through stuff like that without much drama.

Steck's speed is mindboggling.  His ability to solve the kinematics is like watching a GHz-class processor vs a 486.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure what you say is true, but the odds seem to catch up with folks on a regular basis, no matter how good they are.

Isn't there still a lady somewhere on Mt. Rainier, who was supposed to be very, very good?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhwhkwE1nws
View Quote

It's the Wile-E-Coyote "POOOFF" in the snow when he hits that makes this video.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Fear and common sense sometimes have the same end result.

Not doing that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I've heard that a few of those idiots have slipped and fallen to their death.

It must be that bad in Russia if this is what they consider fun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Whole lotta fuck no here

But 30 yrs ago a buddy and I climbed under the GWB cat walk during rush hour

Exhilaration at 150ft above the Hudson was mind numbing
Thousands of feet is unimaginable

Heights are weird tho  
I was cool when no one was near me or like in a Huey with the door open in a banked turn

But now, I get freaked a bit on the observation deck of the ESB
I've been working in man lifts once in a while for work at like 60-70' and fuck those things wobbling in the wind

And the Eiger in less than 3 hours???
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Those guys a pretty strong
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm sure what you say is true, but the odds seem to catch up with folks on a regular basis, no matter how good they are.

Isn't there still a lady somewhere on Mt. Rainier, who was supposed to be very, very good?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a lot of very experienced climbers that will be there until the glaciers melt.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Ok, that one made my feet sweat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you take a swing and it sets loose a slide, even if you are roped and on a solid belay, it still can sweep both you and your partner away.

The very act of getting off the couch increases your chance of death.  For every notable [soloist] climber I know that has died while soloing, I can probably point to one who has died under far more mundane circumstances.

Is free soloing more risky than other types of climbing?  Yes.  Substantially more risky?  I don't know.  I'd really have to dive into some details to say for sure.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#34]
No thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I was waiting for someone to post Honnold. That is true talent and it scares the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you take a swing and it sets loose a slide, even if you are roped and on a solid belay, it still can sweep both you and your partner away.

The very act of getting off the couch increases your chance of death.  For every notable [soloist] climber I know that has died while soloing, I can probably point to one who has died under far more mundane circumstances.

Is free soloing more risky than other types of climbing?  Yes.  Substantially more risky?  I don't know.  I'd really have to dive into some details to say for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The probability is 1.00 for everyone, but some just seem to try really hard to go earlier than they might have.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Dig the top comment.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#38]
FUCK!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#39]
I've seen quite a few of those type videos, and the first one posted is by far the worst. I have sweaty palms now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#40]
FUCK_NO.
Nope.
No way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I could find better things to do today.

...HERE...
View Quote

If this character continues to pursue his actions as portrayed in the video, I foresee Isaac Newton awarding him a Darwin award. Not a question of if, but when.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#42]

This isn't too bad until he gets to the base of the antenna. Nope , no way.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top