BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 47
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:55:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OK, that's the ball game.  I could never associate with a group where the men's undershirt sleeves extend below their "top" shirt sleeves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting, didn't know you could 'become' Mormon, always thought you were born into it, like the Amish.

Those young men with the white shirts and ties spend their entire "missions" (2 years typically) earnestly inviting everyone they can to "become" Mormon.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/b8/7b830cc0-959c-51b0-9842-5861b65534ca/52166c6465cf6.preview-620.jpg

OK, that's the ball game.  I could never associate with a group where the men's undershirt sleeves extend below their "top" shirt sleeves.

I think you're seeing things.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So was Reagan.

Up until the Progressive Era and New Deal, the Democrats were actually the good guys in most ways... Then they went flippin' psycho.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, I am a Christian and do not agree with any of the doctrines of Mormonism.  I totally reject their religion.

However, Mormon folks tend to be great people, very nice and good family folks.  I would be glad to have one as a neighbor.

If you are interested in their gospel, then look into it, but do so by looking at both sides of the arguments, not just their version.  Make up your own mind and do as seems best to you.

I believe God will lead you if you ask His direction.

Pretty much this.

I like and respect Mormons as people, but I do not believe their doctrine.

I go to the Baptist church because I believe their doctrine to be more in line with the Bible.

To be honest, I'd rather hang around Mormons or have one as a neighbor though.

Generally they are good hard working family men with conservative beliefs.

I caution following their religion though.

Conservative now, Mormons used to be mostly democrats.  

So was Reagan.

Up until the Progressive Era and New Deal, the Democrats were actually the good guys in most ways... Then they went flippin' psycho.

No, they were pretty much the bad guys back then too. The KKK was a practically a Dem auxiliary.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No, they were pretty much the bad guys back then too. The KKK was a practically a Dem auxiliary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, I am a Christian and do not agree with any of the doctrines of Mormonism.  I totally reject their religion.

However, Mormon folks tend to be great people, very nice and good family folks.  I would be glad to have one as a neighbor.

If you are interested in their gospel, then look into it, but do so by looking at both sides of the arguments, not just their version.  Make up your own mind and do as seems best to you.

Pretty much this.

I go to the Baptist church because I believe their doctrine to be more in line with the Bible.

So was Reagan.

So Reagan was a KKK member?

Hyperbole degrades the quality of debate.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course not, my point is that the Dems have never been on the good side. I know plenty of people who have become Republicans.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Of course not, my point is that the Dems have never been on the good side. I know plenty of people who have become Republicans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prior to the election of Woodrow Wilson, the Democrat Party was the party of State's Rights and limited government.

At the time my Great-Grandfather was a Democrat National Committee delegate, the Republicans were the party of Big Government.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They always are  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to be mormon just to find a hot woman who knows how to cook, clean, be a great mom and can get down.

Sorry, my wife's taken.  

They always are  

No shit. I got here when I was 23. Apparently that's too old.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

When you say you married into a Mormon family does this mean that you aren't Mormon or are Jack Mormons just a different group from yours?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No more ridiculous than any other religion. I don't give credence to any of them BTW.

I married into a family of Jack Mormons, descendants of Joseph Harker  , they were generally decent people, especially my brother-in-law and his wife.

And some of my neighbors and co-workers in SoCal were LDS. I'd much rather associate with them than the holy-rollers that I grew up with in Appalachia.

When you say you married into a Mormon family does this mean that you aren't Mormon or are Jack Mormons just a different group from yours?

My (very good-looking) ex girlfriend was a "Jack" Mormon. It basically means they aren't very good Mormons.
She was also super sweet, but she moved to New Zealand and that was that.

ETA: Mormons are Christians, despite what a bunch of people here are saying, and they are also literally the nicest people I've ever met. I've said it before here,; if everything ever goes to hell, Utah will be the last bastion of civilization.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Prior to the election of Woodrow Wilson, the Democrat Party was the party of State's Rights and limited government.

At the time my Great-Grandfather was a Democrat National Committee delegate, the Republicans were the party of Big Government.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Republicans are still the party of Big Government. Democrats just happen to be the party of Holy Shit Big Damn Government now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So was Reagan.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

So was Reagan.

Good guys?  If you want to say democrats were good for starting the KKK and other bigoted groups then sure, whatever............
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Op.

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

I don't see anything in that promise that says one has to join a certain religion or denomination.

edit for "shall not perish".
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My (very good-looking) ex girlfriend was a "Jack" Mormon. It basically means they aren't very good Mormons.

ETA: Mormons are Christinas, despite what a bunch of people here are saying, and they are also literally the nicest people I've ever met. I've said it before here,; if everything ever goes to hell, Utah will be the last bastion of civilization.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No more ridiculous than any other religion. I don't give credence to any of them BTW.

I married into a family of Jack Mormons, descendants of Joseph Harker  , they were generally decent people, especially my brother-in-law and his wife.

And some of my neighbors and co-workers in SoCal were LDS. I'd much rather associate with them than the holy-rollers that I grew up with in Appalachia.

ETA: Mormons are Christinas, despite what a bunch of people here are saying, and they are also literally the nicest people I've ever met. I've said it before here,; if everything ever goes to hell, Utah will be the last bastion of civilization.

Back in my younger, single years I dated a few Mormon girls.  They were born into it, but definitely didn't practice it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I grew up around Mormons.

There's no coffee, tea, booze (at least they won't admit it) and the girls like to take it in the ass because then they can "remain a virgin".

They've also got the prepper thing down pat, so that and the butt-sex thing is pretty cool.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And and big +1 to this, but what are you gonna do?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, the bad side-Church is 3 hours long (Sacrament Meeting, Sunday School, and then Elder's Quorum for dudes and Relief Society for chicks-which are another sunday school class)….boo!

If they ever put me in charge of things, which has about as much probability of me being elected POTUS, I would run a "lean process" on the meetings. The block schedule would be reduced to maximum 2 hours.

Extra meetings such as adult leadership for auxiliaries (I'm looking right at you, Young Women and Relief Society) would be MAXIMUM 60 minutes per week. Agendas mandatory. 2 hour planning meetings to prepare for 2 hour leadership meetings are inefficient.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Republicans are still the party of Big Government. Democrats just happen to be the party of Holy Shit Big Damn Government now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, I was thinking of adding a snarky "they haven't changed much" after the last sentence, but I wanted to be serious.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This could be a topic for another thread, but the democrats were hardly for smaller, limited government.  Andrew Jackson is known as the founder of the Democratic party.  He was for increasing government, especially the Presidential powers over congress.  Democrats were for Manifest Destiny and forcefully removed Indians from their lands and they are also known for their poor treatment of African Americans.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If they ever put me in charge of things, which has about as much probability of me being elected POTUS, I would run a "lean process" on the meetings. The block schedule would be reduced to maximum 2 hours.

Extra meetings such as adult leadership for auxiliaries (I'm looking right at you, Young Women and Relief Society) would be MAXIMUM 60 minutes per week. Agendas mandatory. 2 hour planning meetings to prepare for 2 hour leadership meetings are inefficient.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, the bad side-Church is 3 hours long (Sacrament Meeting, Sunday School, and then Elder's Quorum for dudes and Relief Society for chicks-which are another sunday school class)….boo!

Here's a little tidbit. I was in Chile from 2002-2004 and they ran a "pilot program" with two-hour church. Sacrament meeting every week and the second hour traded off between Sunday school and priesthood & relief society. I LOVED it!

moral of the story: don't run pilot programs in 3rd world countries, because I haven't heard any mention of expanding it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Been a member all my life, but only recently made the necessary changes in my life to attend to the temple & receive my own endowments.

Before going to the temple I heard rumors and scandalous accounts of what happened inside, I was worried sick I'd be attending something so crazy I'd end up needing to leave the church!

You know, all that "weird symbolism" in the ceremonies? It all makes perfect, logical sense and ties in with well with everything else the church teaches! I challenge you to find another religion that has all its doctrinal  dots in a row as well as the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints!
View Quote

I'm so happy for you.  telling us that you went to the temple put a smile on my face.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to be mormon just to find a hot woman who knows how to cook, clean, be a great mom and can get down.

Sorry, my wife's taken.  

They always are  

Not at all.  I was 23 when I got married.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Been a member all my life, but only recently made the necessary changes in my life to attend to the temple & receive my own endowments.

Before going to the temple I heard rumors and scandalous accounts of what happened inside, I was worried sick I'd be attending something so crazy I'd end up needing to leave the church!

You know, all that "weird symbolism" in the ceremonies? It all makes perfect, logical sense and ties in with well with everything else the church teaches! I challenge you to find another religion that has all its doctrinal  dots in a row as well as the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints!
View Quote

Doctrine, symbolism, and ceremonies?

Shiiiiit son!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I grew up around Mormons.

There's no coffee, tea, booze (at least they won't admit it) and the girls like to take it in the ass because then they can "remain a virgin".

They've also got the prepper thing down pat, so that and the butt-sex thing is pretty cool.

View Quote

Never witnessed the butt-sex thing with young LDS gals, but then again it probably has to do with the crowd one hangs out with.  I also know that LDS folks are flawed human beings just like everyone else, so if you say that you encountered somebody into the butt-sex thing I'll take your word for it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, as a 35 year member of the LDS church, I can tell you that this forum is that last place I would go to for advise and encouragement on seeking fellowship with the LDS church. Many of these site members are perfectly fine with their own religious differences, even in their own Christian denominations. However, I have dealt with intolerance and bigotry towards my religion my entire life and all you will hear from these people are statements about different Jesus and false gospel.  There is a hatred in the hearts of a lot of people towards my church and its members. My advise to you is to invite the missionaries into your home and hear their message.  Read James 1:5 in the Bible, pray to our Father in heaven and find out for yourself if this Gospel is true.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

I read that in Kenny Powers voice.  That's funny
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Shiiiiit son!
http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/files/2011/07/Vatican11.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shiiiiit son!
http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/files/2011/07/Vatican11.jpg

Good example.  If I weren't LDS I'd probably be Catholic.  After all, either an apostasy requiring a restoration happened, or else there was no need for a restoration.  Sort of leaves me with two choices.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#25]

OP, as a 35 year member of the LDS church, I can tell you that this forum is that last place I would go to for advise and encouragement on seeking fellowship with the LDS church. Many of these site members are perfectly fine with their own religious differences, even in their own Christian denominations. However, I have dealt with intolerance and bigotry towards my religion my entire life and all you will hear from these people are statements about different Jesus and false gospel.  There is a hatred in the hearts of a lot of people towards my church and its members. There is more information available that is against the LDS church than you can shake a stick at and it's readily available to you with the recommendation of a lot of Arfcom site members. My advise to you is to invite the missionaries into your home and hear their message.  Read James 1:5 in the Bible, pray to our Father in heaven and find out for yourself if this Gospel is true.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#27]
They "follow" Christ.........but that is about where is ends.  Good and fine people, sure.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Mormons in general are fine folks and we all would be better for it to emulate some of their traits.  

But, this thread reminds me of this movie:  

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

OP, as a 35 year member of the LDS church, I can tell you that this forum is that last place I would go to for advise and encouragement on seeking fellowship with the LDS church. Many of these site members are perfectly fine with their own religious differences, even in their own Christian denominations. However, I have dealt with intolerance and bigotry towards my religion my entire life and all you will hear from these people are statements about different Jesus and false gospel.  There is a hatred in the hearts of a lot of people towards my church and its members. There is more information available that is against the LDS church than you can shake a stick at and it's readily available to you with the recommendation of a lot of Arfcom site members. My advise to you is to invite the missionaries into your home and hear their message.  Read James 1:5 in the Bible, pray to our Father in heaven and find out for yourself if this Gospel is true.
View Quote

So true. Kind of like seeking relationship advice here. All you get are "eject" .gifs and F5 F5 F5 F5 for pics. You might get something good but very little.

ETA: Best way for you to find out is to attend a meeting, read James 1:5 and find out for yourself. I did.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Interesting, didn't know you could 'become' Mormon, always thought you were born into it, like the Amish.
View Quote

Anyone is welcome.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

OP, as a 35 year member of the LDS church, I can tell you that this forum is that last place I would go to for advise and encouragement on seeking fellowship with the LDS church. Many of these site members are perfectly fine with their own religious differences, even in their own Christian denominations. However, I have dealt with intolerance and bigotry towards my religion my entire life and all you will hear from these people are statements about different Jesus and false gospel.  people towards my church and its There is a hatred in the hearts of a lot of members. There is more information available that is against the LDS church than you can shake a stick at and it's readily available to you with the recommendation of a lot of Arfcom site members. My advise to you is to invite the missionaries into your home and hear their message.  Read James 1:5 in the Bible, pray to our Father in heaven and find out for yourself if this Gospel is true.
View Quote

Hatred definitely should not happen as one great thing about this country is Freedom of Religion and that is what allowed the LDS faith to be made up and to live on.  The Mormons were definitely persecuted and exposed to violence which was unfair.  On the other hand the Mormons have done their fair share of violence towards others without cause which was unfair.    

With that said, I do not understand how something so obviously made up by Joseph Smith can be so vehemently defended.  To each their own but it is so ludicrous it's absurd.  That is all, flame on.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Desire to wear special undies?  Have a faith system with imposed caste?  Yes, you can go to your ward but not the big temple until you have contributed big bucks.
View Quote

Totally false statement. And I used to respect this man's opinions.

Having been the man who counted and recorded tithes, ask me anything.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Here's a little tidbit. I was in Chile from 2002-2004 and they ran a "pilot program" with two-hour church. Sacrament meeting every week and the second hour traded off between Sunday school and priesthood & relief society. I LOVED it!

moral of the story: don't run pilot programs in 3rd world countries, because I haven't heard any mention of expanding it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard tantalizing rumors of this happening stateside, but no verification.

After almost 4 years teaching adult Sunday school, I'm now in the nursery to help my wife. The 2 hours spent there are very different.

One week, I was laying out the history of the split of the ancient kingdom of Israel after Solomon, through the geopolitical wars from Babylonian, Roman, Ottoman, British rule, Zionist movement, formation of Israel, State of Palestine, and Hamas, citing John Dalberg-Acton's "absolute power" statement and applying it to David, Saul, and Solomon.  

The next week, I was playing Hot Wheels cars with a child who peed in my lap. Nursery is fun. We play for a couple hours, have a Gospel lesson, and get a snack.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OP, as a 35 year member of the LDS church, I can tell you that this forum is that last place I would go to for advise and encouragement on seeking fellowship with the LDS church. Many of these site members are perfectly fine with their own religious differences, even in their own Christian denominations. However, I have dealt with intolerance and bigotry towards my religion my entire life and all you will hear from these people are statements about different Jesus and false gospel.  There is a hatred in the hearts of a lot of people towards my church and its members. My advise to you is to invite the missionaries into your home and hear their message.  Read James 1:5 in the Bible, pray to our Father in heaven and find out for yourself if this Gospel is true.
View Quote

This ^

Worked for me.

I'm a convert, went to the Temple, "fell away" for some time, life was a mess. Went back to Church, started living the Gospel again & doing what I need to do to. Did wonders for my marriage. My wife joined the Church & received her Endowments a year later. We're both much happier now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I have yet to meet a douche-bag Mormon.  Really low-maintenance Soldiers to boot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:54:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hatred definitely should not happen as one great thing about this country is Freedom of Religion and that is what allowed the LDS faith to be made up and to live on.  The Mormons were definitely persecuted and exposed to violence which was unfair.  On the other hand the Mormons have done their fair share of violence towards others without cause which was unfair.    

With that said, I do not understand how something so obviously made up by Joseph Smith can be so vehemently defended.  To each their own but it is so ludicrous it's absurd.  That is all, flame on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, as a 35 year member of the LDS church, I can tell you that this forum is that last place I would go to for advise and encouragement on seeking fellowship with the LDS church. Many of these site members are perfectly fine with their own religious differences, even in their own Christian denominations. However, I have dealt with intolerance and bigotry towards my religion my entire life and all you will hear from these people are statements about different Jesus and false gospel.  people towards my church and its There is a hatred in the hearts of a lot of members. There is more information available that is against the LDS church than you can shake a stick at and it's readily available to you with the recommendation of a lot of Arfcom site members. My advise to you is to invite the missionaries into your home and hear their message.  Read James 1:5 in the Bible, pray to our Father in heaven and find out for yourself if this Gospel is true.

FOX, how disingenuous of you to bend and mis quote my statement to your own will. You know, the part in red that you made bold.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have yet to meet a douche-bag Mormon.  Really low-maintenance Soldiers to boot.
View Quote

They were my dad's favorite recruits.
He said they were usually smart, disciplined, could shoot and in shape already. Funny underwear though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted: I have dealt with intolerance and bigotry towards my religion my entire life and all you will hear from these people are statements about different Jesus and false gospel.
View Quote

In bearing testimony of Jesus Christ, President Hinckley spoke of those outside the Church who say Latter-day Saints 'do not believe in the traditional Christ.' 'No, I don't. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak'" (LDS Church News, June 20, 1998, p.7).

Sounds like a different Jesus to me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I can say I've never met a mean Mormon. They are all really nice.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, I don't understand it either.  Some guy makes up a religion and gathers a following with some ridiculous ideas/rules, sounds like a cult to me.  

They are super nice for the most part though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This, I don't understand it either.  Some guy makes up a religion and gathers a following with some ridiculous ideas/rules, sounds like a cult to me.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you read the Book of Mormon?

Did you privately ask about it's truths?

No farm boy made that up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Desire to wear special undies?  Have a faith system with imposed caste?  Yes, you can go to your ward but not the big temple until you have contributed big bucks.

I had the same thought.   Now I wonder if he flat out makes up half the stuff he says all the time.  He was one of my favorites around here but when you are this far off it makes me wonder.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#43]
They are a handsome group.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#44]
End well this will not
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#45]
They are excellent preppers
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I had the same thought.   Now I wonder if he flat out makes up half the stuff he says all the time.  He was one of my favorites around here but when you are this far off it makes me wonder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uneducated comment is uneducated. The facts are out there if he cared.

I recorded tithes of less than $1 some weeks and if that was their 10%, then they meet the requirements. No "big bucks" requirement to be worthy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This ^

Worked for me.

I'm a convert, went to the Temple, "fell away" for some time, life was a mess. Went back to Church, started living the Gospel again & doing what I need to do to. Did wonders for my marriage. My wife joined the Church & received her Endowments a year later. We're both much happier now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^

Worked for me.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm not even joking. We've got the token two clean cut kids on bikes in our 'hood, complete with black helmets, ties, pressed pants, white shirts, going around passing out pamphlets and doing their thing. I've chatted with them a bit on several occasions, and they really are quite likeable. I've asked them specifically about what they believe in, and they don't mention any magic underwear or Jesus being born in Michigan or whatever. They just go into the standard "you have to follow Jesus to live a happy life".

Now, I don't personally believe in Jesus being a/the God. I'm completely unsure if God as we think of him is a real thing, or just something completely natural that is well beyond our understanding.  I'm not against the idea of a traditional God, I just don't have any faith that such is the case. That being said, these guys and their church seem like a genuinely nice, good bunch of people.

I'm seriously considering sitting in on one of their services and introducing myself, but to be totally honest I'm not hoping to come to any spiritual revelations, I just want to see what the hell they're putting in the water there, so to speak. My question is, would doing so be intrusive/offensive if I approached the church on a social level, rather than a spiritual level. I plan on being completely honest about my intentions and beliefs.

Or is this going to end like a Twilight Zone with me wearing a bike helmet and a Valium smile?
View Quote

They have their shit together better than most other groups religious or otherwise. I've thought the same things you're probably thinkin' about....and not sure if I'm up to their standards has kept me from doing anything else.

They are intriguing that's for damn sure.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:38:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh please, followers didn't think Jim Jones was crazy either.  Anybody can write a book and make up a religion.  Takes a good salesman or some slick talking/brain washing to gather a following like he did though.  I've lived in Mormon communities, have Mormon relatives and married a Mormon with a 100% Mormon family.  I have a pretty good idea as to the beliefs and background of the "religion".
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Oh please, followers didn't think Jim Jones was crazy either.  Anybody can write a book and make up a religion.  Takes a good salesman or some slick talking/brain washing to gather a following like he did though.  I've lived in Mormon communities, have Mormon relatives and married a Mormon with a 100% Mormon family.  I have a pretty good idea as to the beliefs and background of the "religion".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, that's a big fat 'no'. You did not ask these things for yourself. Just observed by association and here you are. Not your thing? Life goes on.
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top