Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 6:38:39 PM EDT
I'll make it as short as possible.  I work in a fortune 50 company and have a very visible job with a huge footprint throughout the company.  I have literally worked with everyone who matters and have a great reputation.

I was recently chosen to eat lunch with the CFO because I am one of four local employees chosen for the management succession program....but haven't heard squat since about what that means or how to engage.  I was speaking with the VP/Controller today (he's my assigned mentor) and found out that we have a very competitive, little known or talked about management training program.  There are literally two spots for the entire company, for employees at my level--with maybe 2,000 eligible employees at my grade.  So it's a big deal.  You need an executive level person to go to bat for you to be chosen.

So here's the question.  The VP of Finance is in town this week and is sitting in a conference room 20 feet from my desk.  I know her and regularly email back and forth but met her face-to-face for the first time this week.  I'm thinking of going in and straight up asking her for her recommendation for the management training program.

Pro's:  It's ballsy and she had to be in on selecting me for the succession program, so she clearly likes me.  It might work.

Con's:  I have two levels of management between us that I would be jumping (I don't really think they'll care).  I asked my Staff VP about it and he didn't bother to answer back (he's a great guy but kind of self-focused).  Also, if the slots are already filled, I get the no and it creates a momentary uncomfortable situation.

The worst that could really happen....get a no answer and possibly piss off the big Boss.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#1]
What did you have for lunch?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Fortune favors the bold.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fortune favors the bold.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking....balls, I was issued a pair at birth and they generally don't lead me wrong!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Why do you think you are leadership material if you struggle with this decision? Good leaders are decisive, particularly when it's a tough decision. Good leaders take risks, calculated ones.

If you don't put your balls on the line and ask, you know the result.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
What is your role?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What did you have for lunch?
View Quote

Trout Meuniere....it was amazing
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why do you think you are leadership material if you struggle with this decision? Good leaders are decisive, particularly when it's a tough decision. Good leaders take risks, calculated ones.

View Quote

Good point and well put.

Most certainly leadership material, the question is whether they are ready for me or not.

I'm FO'ing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Hike up your skirt Nancy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is your role?
View Quote

Finance, I am basically mid-level, working manager.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#11]
TL,DR. Wife/gf pics?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good point and well put.

Most certainly leadership material, the question is whether they are ready for me or not.

I'm FO'ing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point and well put.

I'm FO'ing.

Sometimes even the best leaders need a kick in the ass from time to time...by a worthy assistant. You need one, right? Let's talk compensation.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
TL,DR. Wife/gf pics?
View Quote

One in the same...but no.

Cliff notes:  Going to be pushy in the morning and ask for a recommendation from the VP of Finance to a prestigious management training program at work.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Go for it! Be aggressive, but not too aggressive.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sometimes even the best leaders need a kick in the ass from time to time...by a worthy assistant. You need one, right? Let's talk compensation.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point and well put.

I'm FO'ing.

I don't think the place can afford to ARFCOM nuts in it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Subscribed....

I expect good news from you OP.  As for me, I am fairly bold about what I want and I have never been disappointed. Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Subscribed....

I expect good news from you OP.  As for me, I am fairly bold about what I want and I have never been disappointed. Good luck to you.
View Quote

Provided that she doesn't move conference rooms on me, I should be good.

I will update tomorrow.  Off to bed to get my rest, the world of Finance must be conquered tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have been thinking about it and I can't recall a pivotal moment in either of my careers where I waited to be given something. Risk, it's how people get rich.
View Quote

Words to live by.....I like it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll make it as short as possible.  I work in a fortune 50 company and have a very visible job with a huge footprint throughout the company.  I have literally worked with everyone who matters and have a great reputation.

I was recently chosen to eat lunch with the CFO because I am one of four local employees chosen for the management succession program....but haven't heard squat since about what that means or how to engage.  I was speaking with the VP/Controller today (he's my assigned mentor) and found out that we have a very competitive, little known or talked about management training program.  There are literally two spots for the entire company, for employees at my level--with maybe 2,000 eligible employees at my grade.  So it's a big deal.  You need an executive level person to go to bat for you to be chosen.

So here's the question.  The VP of Finance is in town this week and is sitting in a conference room 20 feet from my desk.  I know her and regularly email back and forth but met her face-to-face for the first time this week.  I'm thinking of going in and straight up asking her for her recommendation for the management training program.

Pro's:  It's ballsy and she had to be in on selecting me for the succession program, so she clearly likes me.  It might work.

Con's:  I have two levels of management between us that I would be jumping (I don't really think they'll care).  I asked my Staff VP about it and he didn't bother to answer back (he's a great guy but kind of self-focused).  Also, if the slots are already filled, I get the no and it creates a momentary uncomfortable situation.

The worst that could really happen....get a no answer and possibly piss off the big Boss.

FO or not?
View Quote

Fo!

Fo confidently.
He who dares wins.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Ask. From what I've seen, if someone in a management position knows you and feels like you will kick ass in a program that they can recommend you for, they do it. It looks good for them if they can scout talent and she will probably say that she helped you get where you are. Everyone likes a friend in higher positions.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#23]
My dad has a saying about women, and raises. You won't get what you don't ask for.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#24]

my balls have taken a pounding from vaginas. WRONG betty white!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#25]
GD is rule slacking tonight.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is your role?

Ok, good, do it. You don't ask for the sale, you don't get the sale.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Queue Weird Al's new song here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Well boys, I went right past two levels of management and FO'd.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get alone face time because she was in a different conference room with 50 other people.  But she opened the floor for questions and I smartly told her afterwards that  "I have a question and request that probably shouldn't be aired in an open forum, would it be okay to email you the question and request".  She was very gracious and said "Absolutely, I appreciate your candor".

So, I emailed her....which is better for me, I tend to write very effective business communication.

So Safe thread, Day 1......stay tuned for the outcome.  She's traveling back home this afternoon, I do not expect an answer back tomorrow.

Worst case:  my boss gets pissed I went over his head (okay then answer my questions, numnuts)

Best case:  it works

Most probable case:  Nothing happens because the spots have already been taken.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#29]
lol, I hope you outlined in brief why you are the best candidate, and the email took under 60 seconds to read, and ended with the offer to follow up by phone or fly anywhere in the world face to face at your expense.

Be bold, but have a plan.  Think about it, first guy who jumped out of an airplane was bold, the first guy who did it with a parachute was bold and had a plan.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
lol, I hope you outlined in brief why you are the best candidate, and the email took under 60 seconds to read, and ended with the offer to follow up by phone or fly anywhere in the world face to face at your expense.

Be bold, but have a plan.  Think about it, first guy who jumped out of an airplane was bold, the first guy who did it with a parachute was bold and had a plan.
View Quote

Guessing 60 seconds to 1 minute and 5 seconds.  Succinctly written and well reasoned.

I gave her everything she needs to make her decision.  It focused her to the point of dropping her at the fork in the road---yes or no.

As mentioned above, I have already been pegged to the CFO and all management as one of the high-potentials within the organization, so the logic would say "Let's develop him".

It will tell me whether the CFO lunch and talk of succession planning is real or smoke.

I like the parachute analogy.  I'll be using it as my own
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's my update lads.....

The VP of Finance was apparently impressed with my boldness.  She didn't guarantee she could get me into the program because we only have one spot for our group-- I figured it would be too bold to respond back with, "Perfect, I'm only one person and only need one spot"  But she reiterated what I already knew--I'm one of the best prospects if not THE best prospect in the company.  She said that while she couldn't guarantee my spot in the program, she wanted to set up a meeting with me early next month to talk about development opportunities.  

That's how it's done boys, it really was a thing of beauty to behold.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice! It seems that your well eaten lunch paid off.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Is your last name Lumbergh?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here's my update lads.....

The VP of Finance was apparently impressed with my boldness.  She didn't guarantee she could get me into the program because we only have one spot for our group-- I figured it would be too bold to respond back with, "Perfect, I'm only one person and only need one spot"  But she reiterated what I already knew--I'm one of the best prospects if not THE best prospect in the company.  She said that while she couldn't guarantee my spot in the program, she wanted to set up a meeting with me early next month to talk about development opportunities.  

That's how it's done boys, it really was a thing of beauty to behold.
View Quote

Sounds like if you have lunch with her - maybe at The Y - she'll make it happen.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Congrats Op! Way to go for it. Even if you don't get into the training program, you know that you are in a solid position to continue to move up in the company. They know you are willing to go after it and made a good impression doing it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:11:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is your last name Lumbergh?
View Quote

That's Lumberg, no h,  to you sir!  [I had to google the name, I saw the movie but didn't remember the guy's name]

Nope, I'm just an average Joe with some college costs screaming my way soon and a strong desire to retire.  Besides, if I have to spend 8-10 hours at a job each day, why not spend those 8-10 hours looking down from the top.  I didn't forget the question mark, it really wasn't a question
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top