BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can see where they're coming from on this.  Once again, separation of church and state.

Granted, prohibiting "bless you" seems kind of silly, but their school, their rules.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
UPDATE this story appears to be just what it is described.  School rules prohibit saying Bless You and she is a newly enrolled
senior.

I can see where they're coming from on this.  Once again, separation of church and state.

Granted, prohibiting "bless you" seems kind of silly, but their school, their rules.

You have it backwards.  The teacher shouldn't be able to say bless you if you want to enforce your fallacy above, but the student has every right to do so.

The government is restricted NOT individuals.

Edit:  BTW, by fallacy I mean there is no such thing as separation of church and state.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#2]

What time does the protest start?  

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Obama has let liberals ruin this Country .   I hope people wake up and vote these idiots liberals out of office
View Quote

You forget that half of this country wants this shit going the way it is.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Obama didn't do this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obama has let liberals ruin this Country .   I hope people wake up and vote these idiots liberals out of office

Obama didn't do this.

Cue the, "the Jews did this" meme...

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You have it backwards.  The teacher shouldn't be able to say bless you if you want to enforce your fallacy above, but the student has every right to do so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
UPDATE this story appears to be just what it is described.  School rules prohibit saying Bless You and she is a newly enrolled
senior.

Most of these idiots will never grasp that concept.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
senior.

No.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Let me guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here.  The reason I'm sure that they don't want "Godly speaking" in the classroom is because of the whole "separation of church and state" thing.

Also I'm certain how little miss here says it went down, wasn't how it went down.

Having been in high school and middle school keyboarding classes before, they don't mess around in those classes.  Keyboarding teachers are usually incredibly strict.

Just throwing my $0.02 out there.

Let me guess.

Guess what
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tax payers school bro.  Is this a case of apologist, apologizing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
senior.

Tax payers school bro.  Is this a case of apologist, apologizing?

This.

Lots of logic fail in GD tonight.  They'll never get it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow

I'm an atheist/agnostic of sorts and I still say "bless you" when someone sneezes...
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Guess what
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here.  The reason I'm sure that they don't want "Godly speaking" in the classroom is because of the whole "separation of church and state" thing.

Also I'm certain how little miss here says it went down, wasn't how it went down.

Having been in high school and middle school keyboarding classes before, they don't mess around in those classes.  Keyboarding teachers are usually incredibly strict.

Let me guess.

Guess what

The devils in the details?   You are certainly wrong on your certainties?

Seriously though.  That doesn't apply to citizens.  That law is intended for govt entities.

ETA:  Oh,  and I would not doubt that that is ezactly how it went down.  Exactly as described.  Schools are run by libtards and chickenshit assholes that either have to have knee jerk reactions or Nazi heavy handed tactics anymore.  

You aren't here to learn!  You are here to follow what we say!  We are your god!

FWIW,  I do beleive in god very much.  But I haven't been to church in years.  I find it hard to with all the suffering and strife.  So take that FWIW.   Bless you is far from offending.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe I do have it wrong.  I was looking at "separation and church and state" as the same as prohibiting prayer in school but clearly it's not.

In that case, I do tend to agree it's complete bullshit.  When someone says "bless you" to me, I don't immediately question if they believe in God(like I do) or not.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Seriously though.  That doesn't apply to citizens.  That law is intended for govt entities.
View Quote

Ok, that makes sense. I think I just had it backwards by thinking that the 'prayer in school" thing was the same as prohibiting "Godly speech."

If they're prohibiting "Godly Speech" then just toss the Pledge of Allegiance out the window.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's just stupid.

I'm a freaking atheist and not only would someone saying bless you not offend me, but I even still say it to people.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

lol, no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

senior.

lol, no.
And i'll go the next step: lol, no

It's a public school, not a private one. We pay for those so they are OUR schools.

To add to wtturn's reply: Separation of church and state is for the state, not the citizens.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Really? Geeze. What has this country come to?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ok, that makes sense. I think I just had it backwards by thinking that the 'prayer in school" thing was the same as prohibiting "Godly speech."

If they're prohibiting "Godly Speech" then just toss the Pledge of Allegiance out the window.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically students can have prayer groups in school.  The school Technically cannot organize or operate it.

And Technically you are very much correct on that little detail about the pledge.  

I am surprised they have not removed the pledge from the morning activities in all schools.  I doesn't fall in line with their indoctrination policies.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

senior.
View Quote
I will think the COC violation towards the teacher on this issue.  Will she ban me?

COC, COC, COC, COC.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#18]
thats fucked
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
senior.

Actually, it isn't at all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
senior.

Re-read the constitution DJ. It is not what you seem to think it is.

And I agree, their rules.

ETA: My apologies, you seemed to have been dog piled already. I will just slide off the top and maybe you can breath easier.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Me too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's just stupid.

I'm a freaking atheist and not only would someone saying bless you not offend me, but I even still say it to people.

I'm a bless you atheist too.

Me too.

Bless you!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What time does the protest start?  

View Quote

Although I am a Born Again Christian I am far from a Bible Thumper.   However if the protest start I will gladly join in on this one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
+2

Count this atheist as a "bless you" guy too. I like saying Merry Christmas too.

School is fucked in the head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's just stupid.

+1

+2

Count this atheist as a "bless you" guy too. I like saying Merry Christmas too.

School is fucked in the head.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

senior.

So students are employees and agents of the government? Even if you believe in the current definition of "Seperation of church and state", you are absolutely completely wrong about it holding any standing on students. One student expressing a religious expression to another, does not violate their first amendment rights.

Students aren't bound to the constitution. Heck, if anything... the teacher violated the right of the student. Also, there is absolutely *NOTHING* that makes sense about this. "Bless you" is a fairly universal social convention. It's called "manners" . It doesn't even hold any religious significance *AT ALL* anymore.

Seriously... if you are taking the government's side on this... you really need to re-read the constitution

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#25]
A theist says "bless you"
A narcissist says "bless me"
A satanist says "damn you"
An atheist says "need a Tissue?"
A nihlist says "..."
A liberal says "bless that poor guy"

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Put a foot in the Superintendent's and School Board's asses.

Sounds like a certain Principal needs to get their resume in order.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Email addy of Principle?

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I am not very religious but I say Bless you . It is a manners thing , not a God thing
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
senior.

Separation of church and state restricts the state, not the citizens.

1st amendment rights apply to kids in school.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Email addy of Principle?

View Quote

It probably would be more effective sending her post cards that say Bless You
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Email addy of Principle?

View Quote

You should first look up your old elementary school teachers and ask them why they failed to teach you the little rule about the person in charge of the school being your pal, as in, principal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#32]
This girl is a known trouble maker.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

senior.

There is nothing in the Constitution stating "separation of church and state".  There's a prohibition on religious tests for office.  There's a prohibition on a state religion.

There's ALSO a prohibition on restricting the free exercise of one's religion.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
senior.

Where do you get the idea that the so called "separation of church and state" means students cannot say anything that could be remotely religious?  This incident shows exactly what happens when people abuse the notion of that "separation", it becomes an infringement of free speech and exercise of religion .  The way it is interpreted and used now couldn't be farther from what the framers intended.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Gesundheit
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#36]
when ever anyone brings up "separation of church and state" I always s ask them if they can show me where that phrase is in the constitution. I usually get a doe eyed look I have even made a few bucks betting they cant point it out to me
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
senior.

The "separation of church and state" says that the state can't screw with your religion, not that you can't be religious in a state building.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
senior.

There is no separation Deej. Your concept of the Danberry letter is backwards. The church is protected from the state, not the other way around, otherwise our constitutional documents would be unconstitutional because they invoke God, and every meeting was opened with prayer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Damn OP, couldn't you at least give us a synopsis instead of making
us go runnin around the interweb? How bout up date in the original
op as well?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deej...keep in mind that the Bill of Rights is misnamed....it is a list of things that the .gov is not allowed to do...not a list of right for citizens.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So students are employees and agents of the government? Even if you believe in the current definition of "Seperation of church and state", you are absolutely completely wrong about it holding any standing on students. One student expressing a religious expression to another, does not violate their first amendment rights.

Students aren't bound to the constitution. Heck, if anything... the teacher violated the right of the student. Also, there is absolutely *NOTHING* that makes sense about this. "Bless you" is a fairly universal social convention. It's called "manners" . It doesn't even hold any religious significance *AT ALL* anymore.

Seriously... if you are taking the government's side on this... you really need to re-read the constitution  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
senior.

Quoted:

Students have no rights while in school.  The Constitution does not apply on school grounds.  

I had some pretty rowdy friends back in HS...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:10:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Bless you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's just stupid.

Me too.

Bless you!

Hand me a tissue, eh?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Students have no rights while in school.  The Constitution does not apply on school grounds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
senior.

Quoted:

That is not completely correct.

Rights can have reasonable restrictions, but they still exist.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:16:35 AM EDT
[#44]
You folks realize that student speech has been hashed out in court for decades, both in terms of limitations and liberalization.

There is simply no way in hell a student was suspended for saying just "bless you."  Some other rule or behavior was involved, if she was even really suspended at all.  

If a teacher has a rule, whether it's no religious references, or not being allowed to say, "faggot," that's their call.  But no school administrator is going to provide for a suspension, inside or out, for a single infraction of this nature.

The news story is worded to rile up people.

This is the Christian equivalent of shooting an unarmed black man.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

The whole "separation of church and state" thing was a letter. It's not law.

The student does have the protection of the 1st amendment in a taxpayer funded facility. Keyboarding? Who gives a fuck.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:25:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

Per Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District: "It can hardly be argued that either students or teachers shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate."
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#47]
From this isstance forward he should just say "when you die nothing happens"
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:29:15 AM EDT
[#48]
ISIS approves.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:30:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Update the op with an edit. This is how civilized society works.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

senior.

Wrong answer.  SCOTUS is clear that expressions of faith by students are protected speech.  Further, it's not "their school", it's the public's school.  And the public's rules.  SCOTUS rules.

Teach might have been okay stopping an outburst (but this case was stupid), but by wrapping it up in a constitutionally protected speech issue, she violated the civil rights of the student.

Lawyer up.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top