Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/19/2014 8:53:48 AM EDT
Seems like it never fails. Start talking about 4WD pickups, SUVs, Jeeps, etc and some fool interjects with how his 2WD whatever is just as good, does just as well in snow and ice, tows as well or better, etc. Along with the usual refrain that they "just know how to drive". I'm thinking that these people have never driven through more than a couple of inches of snow, on truly mountainous roads, a muddy field or along a soft, sandy beach. Ignorance is bliss. Oh well, I suppose has some mild comedic value.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Why is there always some 'tard who insists that 2WD>4WD?
View Quote

Because they can't afford 4wd so they try to justify their 2wd's meaningless existence.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#2]
My 2WD shits all over your 4WD.  Learn how to drive.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a buddy who got pulled out of a ditch 3 times last year. 2wd suburban. Claims it is still better.

I went off zero times and I drive like a jackass.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I also love the nubs that say that a RWD is better in winter than a FWD.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I have literally never heard someone say this in my life.

Maybe because I live in NH and we actually need 4WD on occasion.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have driven 2WD most of my life and have never been in the ditch.  Is 4WD better?  Sure, it's better for getting you out of the ditch if you are an idiot and cannot properly drive a 2WD vehicle in the snow.

<----  WI Repersent

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#7]
IIRC, "Great Living in Grubby Times" states that a 2WD pickup with a locking diff is equal to, or better than 4WD.

I'll stick with what I know to work, TYVM.  It's sort of like the "one is none, two is one" thing.  Just multiply by 2.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#8]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#9]
My truck is 4X4.  With that said I have always been told the only thing a 4X4 will do is get you stuck futher in the woods.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#10]
No beans.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#11]
My jeep does both.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Around here suburbanites don't use 4x4 90% of the time. It's usually on dry level pavement. Rain, you need decent tires 4x4 or not. We get a handfull of big enough snows where it might help a bit, by the next day most of the big streets are just wet. Again how's the tires? Ice? Stay home. That pretty much takes care of your off roading needs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Here come subnet with stories of summiting Everest in his Miata with snow tires.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIRC, "Great Living in Grubby Times" states that a 2WD pickup with a locking diff is equal to, or better than 4WD.

I'll stick with what I know to work, TYVM.  It's sort of like the "one is none, two is one" thing.  Just multiply by 2.
View Quote

The fallacy of that statement is that many 4x4s have locking diffs as well and are better than the 2x4 with locking diff.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Own both. You just CANNOT STOP IN THE SHIT with a 2wd.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#16]
rear wheel drive is most fun in snow
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Because they can't afford 4wd so they try to justify their 2wd's meaningless existence.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why is there always some 'tard who insists that 2WD>4WD?

And they never saw someone get stuck on a boat ramp with the back wheels slimed, engage 4w, and pull away no problem.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My truck is 4X4.  With that said I have always been told the only thing a 4X4 will do is get you stuck futher in the woods.
View Quote

Thats why you stick to driving it in 2wd mode... Then when you get stuck, you switch it on over and can get yourself unstuck.  Always have room to expand!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#19]
most cars are one wheel drive

I will take 3 wheel drive please    aka 4wd with limited slip
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a 69 chevy 3/4 ton truck.

manual 4 speed with compound low.

In the winter, I took it places that most 4WD trucks couldn't go.

During the snowy times it comes down mostly weight, how that weight is distributed, and the driver.

Mud and stuff, I dunno. Never chanced it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Because they feel ridiculously stupid after doing a seventeen minute burnout on ice and snow to get going from a stop light while everybody behind them beeps their horns and yells "Jackass!"  

They eventually make it home and beef themselves up by mumbling "...huh...don't need four wheel drive.  Jackass, huh?  Fuck you.  You're the Jackass!"

And then they try to get open a package of Hot Pockets to put in the microwave, but their hands are trembling and they can't even bear to look out the kitchen window at all the snow coming down.  

And then by the middle of April, they're talking shit about not needing four weel drive.  But by the middle of September they get quiet and start reading the Farmer's Almanac while eating Hot Pockets and surfing the internet looking at Toyota trucks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Same with those who say their Delton Ar15 > LaRue Tactical Ar15
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#23]
4WD with a winch, FTW.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Because they feel ridiculously stupid after doing a seventeen minute burnout on ice and snow to get going from a stop light while everybody behind them beeps their horns and yells "Jackass!"  

They eventually make it home and beef themselves up by mumbling "...huh...don't need four wheel drive.  Jackass, huh?  Fuck you.  You're the Jackass!"

And then they try to get open a package of Hot Pockets to put in the microwave, but their hands are trembling and they can't even bear to look out the kitchen window at all the snow coming down.  

And then by the middle of April, they're talking shit about not needing four weel drive.  But by the middle of September they get quiet and start reading the Farmer's Almanac while eating Hot Pockets and surfing the internet looking at Toyota trucks.
View Quote

And then they move to Florida and fuck up my world.

More 4WD=Less Assholes moving to FL!

4WD FOR EVERYONE

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#25]
All I can say is 76 Chevy 454 pickup, made 425 HP on the dyno,  4:10 gears used in 15 BUFFALO winters including the Blizzard of 77 never had to be towed or pushed out of a snowbank, learn how to drive and 2wd is fine , all of the NYSDOT pickups are 2wd and they don't have a problem either.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nope, google how differentials work. I can't explain things that good or I would.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

my rule is to use 2WD going in, and 4WD if I get gummed up trying to get out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Seems like it never fails. Start talking about 4WD pickups, SUVs, Jeeps, etc and some fool interjects with how his 2WD whatever is just as good, does just as well in snow and ice, tows as well or better, etc. Along with the usual refrain that they "just know how to drive". I'm thinking that these people have never driven through more than a couple of inches of snow, on truly mountainous roads, a muddy field or along a soft, sandy beach. Ignorance is bliss. Oh well, I suppose has some mild comedic value.
View Quote

I have a guy like that at work.  The day he called me to pull him out of the ditch in his driveway was one of the best days of my life.  He was all like"My driveway is really icy I don't know if you will make it up"  I drove up it picked him up then backed down it. As I was backing down it he is freaking out about me sliding and hitting his car, my response was to hit the brakes hard while wolf staring him in the eyes and saying "Bitch I have 4WD and Snow tires" Stopped so hard his head smacked head rest.  Fuck it was awesome.  I still give him shit about it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
All I can say is 76 Chevy 454 pickup, made 425 HP on the dyno,  4:10 gears used in 15 BUFFALO winters including the Blizzard of 77 never had to be towed or pushed out of a snowbank, learn how to drive and 2wd is fine , all of the NYSDOT pickups are 2wd and they don't have a problem either.
View Quote

Hard to get stuck idling on a thruway turn around fast asleep
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#30]
For me 2WD is MUCH better than 4WD. I would not own anything with 4WD because knowing me like I do, I would end up stuck somewhere much more inaccessible.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

They also don't have to pay for the wrecker, or for the totaled car when they flip that bitch. You do.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nope, google how differentials work. I can't explain things that good or I would.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The long spinny thing turns some gears

to be more correct I should state open diff = 0 wheel drive if one wheel is in traction where as limited slip = 1 wheel drive on the wheel with traction ...

happier

technically speaking you are correct ..

practically speaking an open diff 2wd in a unequal traction will be 0 wheel drive and spin 1 wheel

I digress
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Don't confuse imagined capability with simple frugality.  NYSDOT buys how many pickups?  You can buy a hell of a lot more 2wd trucks than 4wd.  Same thing with police Tahoes - how many of them are 4wd?  Agencies just aren't willing to pay extra for 4WD.  Yes, 95% of the time it's not necessary, so they're just playing the odds.  Blizzaks on a 2WD vehicle, especially with some sandbags in back, make for a very good snow vehicle.

That being said, I'll take my 4X4 with locking rear diff.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Don't confuse imagined capability with simple frugality.  NYSDOT buys how many pickups?  You can buy a hell of a lot more 2wd trucks than 4wd.  Same thing with police Tahoes - how many of them are 4wd?  Agencies just aren't willing to pay extra for 4WD.  Yes, 95% of the time it's not necessary, so they're just playing the odds.  Blizzaks on a 2WD vehicle, especially with some sandbags in back, make for a very good snow vehicle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most county sheriffs here run ALL 4wd fleets at least in the hills

It's weird when in the city looking for chargers and ppv's instead of tahoes / expeditions
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
to be more correct I should state open diff = 0 wheel drive if one wheel is in traction where as limited slip = 1 wheel drive on the wheel with traction ...

happier

practically speaking an open diff 2wd in a unequal traction will be 0 wheel drive and spin 1 wheel

I digress

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

happier

I digress

The wheel not spinning has torque being applied to it too.  if it takes 87 foot pounds to spin the wheel on a banana peel at 87 mph, the wheel on dry pavement is still receiving 87 foot pounds but not spinning. Your bro dozer won't move because it takes more torque than that to back it out of the parking spot in the Walmart parking lot. This being an open diff I should mention.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Good tires and LSD 2wd > crap tires and open diff 4wd from what I've seen.

I've also seen light 2wd trucks float over stuff heavy 4wd trucks sink in.  

It all depends on the purpose I suppose. If a person assumes everything should be able to rock crawl or mud bog, then yea a 2wd desert pre-runner isn't going sound better than having 4wd.

Of course, everyone knows Tracks>6wd>4wd.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Most of these newer, bigger half tons seem to be terrible in 2wd on snow. You almost have to put it in 4x4. My older 2wd pickup does alot better.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have literally never heard someone say this in my life.

Maybe because I live in NH and we actually need 4WD on occasion.

View Quote

Me neither. I'm in CO & 4wd is very popular. Before everybody had to have an "SUV" Audi & Subaru were very over represented here.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Good tires and LSD 2wd > crap tires and open diff 4wd from what I've seen.

I've also seen light 2wd trucks float over stuff heavy 4wd trucks sink in.  

It all depends on the purpose I suppose. If a person assumes everything should be able to rock crawl or mud bog, then yea a 2wd desert pre-runner isn't going sound better than having 4wd.

Of course, everyone knows Tracks>chains>6wd>4wd.  
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Most of these newer, bigger half tons seem to be terrible in 2wd on snow. You almost have to put it in 4x4. My older 2wd pickup does alot better.
View Quote
My little 2wd 1998 Mustang was awesome in snow.   Especially after getting a LSD stuffed in the re-geared diff.  Went through all sorts of W Wa winters never used chains.  Just zipped right along.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#44]
I live on a farm and use 4wd often here and while hunting. 2wd doesn't cut it here.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

My 2wd RWD daily driver has limited slip and my 4x4 has triple-lockers.  All my drive-wheels put down 'teh power'.  
Open diffs are for pantywaists.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Having driven a variety of vehicles in various off road conditions all over the world IMHO tires followed by LSD/ locking rear end of some form have always been preferable to 4wd...

4wd of course WITH those things is the cats ass.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My jeep does both.
View Quote

One time I had to come home in my Jeep with FWD... busted rear driveshaft
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
My 2wd RWD daily driver has limited slip and my 4x4 has triple-lockers.  All my drive-wheels put down 'teh power'.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And people looking to get stuck thinking their truck is bad ass and can go anywhere cause it has 4wd!   Met a lot of people that thought that.  Pulled a few out too.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#49]
For the same reason there is always some 'tard that insist 4WD>AWD.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#50]
I have owned one 4x4 that was open in both axles.  Get one tire with little traction in the front and another in the back and it sat there spinning.  I have owned a 2wd with a really good limited slip in it that I liked better than the 4x4 I just mentioned.

And at the same time that 4x4 just needed some parts put into the axles, I sold it before I got around to messing with it.

I have seen people take their 2wd whatever places I won't take my 4x4.  Sometimes they made it and sometimes they did not.

Having a vehicle to start is important.

Good tires help a lot.

Traction aids in the differential and transfer case if needed are also nice as well.

Having a 4x4 with the ability to fully lock everything is nothing short of amazing.  If that is what you want.

My current 4x4 has a limited slip in the back and an open front.  In 2wd it spun a lot during a snow/ice storm.  Well, it spun a lot taking off from stop signs.  Put it in 4x4 and away it went.

Part of the spinning was the old tires on it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top