BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Heat may be an issue.

I used to try and get myself killed in a '76 MG B GT V8, and had similar issues.
When hot, the started would barely crank, if at all. Even after a rebuild things didn't improve much.

A heatshield and partial exhaust manifold wrap somewhat solved the issue.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/IMG_20140818_173312_233_zpslshgulae.jpg

This is my bitchin '49 Chevy 1/2 ton.  To be succinct, it don't too good.  Still running on original 6v system, starter was rebuilt properly and converted to high torque, cables were made custom out of heavy guage wire, starter and battery have been properly grounded, battery is an Optima and starts my '54 2 ton flatbed no problem.

-It will only start when battery has been on the charger and is at 100%
-If I turn it off after driving for some time and immediately try to restart it, no joy.  Starter makes maybe 1 revolution and quits
-I tried a 12v battery jumper on the advice of my mechanic, no dice
-Mechanic who was working on it reccomends 12v conversion

WTF is it possessed?  Should I get a Catholic priest?  Points?  Coil?  Help!
View Quote

Do not jump it with 12V ever again.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]

maybe an intermittent issue in the ignition switch?

are you still running with the original switch/wiring?

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#5]
So I've gotten it to start reliably by using the 12v battery jumper.  Starter makes one revolution but that is enough apparently to start.  I pulled the flywheel dust cover off and saw there was some chipping on the flywheel front of teeth (pics).  Not sure how long that has been like that.  Could be from years ago or just this week with the new high speed starter.  I'm going to pull the starter and switch it out with the one on my 54 GMC, we'll see what happens then.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF is it possessed?  Should I get a Catholic priest?  Points?  Coil?  Help!

You should let these guys know ASAP

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/accessories.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So I've gotten it to start reliably by using the 12v battery jumper.  Starter makes one revolution but that is enough apparently to start.  I pulled the flywheel dust cover off and saw there was some chipping on the flywheel front of teeth (pics).  Not sure how long that has been like that.  Could be from years ago or just this week with the new high speed starter.  I'm going to pull the starter and switch it out with the one on my 54 GMC, we'll see what happens then.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/IMG_20140821_091814_886_zps1bxdfr4h.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/bluejames19/IMG_20140821_091712_658_zpsqihjwged.jpg
View Quote

Thats normal wear. Forget it's there. Your problem is electrical.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Those are all on the starter and were replaced.  Truck has a floor starter button.

Quoted:

Thats normal wear. Forget it's there. Your problem is electrical.

That's good to know.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Get another starter.  I had a special wound hi torque starter that wouldn't start at all.  I re-installed my old starter and it worked fine.  

Also, plan on converting to 12V.  I have done it several times.  I can't see your photos from work, but if your stuck is stock, I could rewire it in about an hour.  It isn't hard.  

I recently had a starter problem with a V8 equipped 48 Ford.  I thought the Optima was dying and had been on the shelf for a couple years while I built the truck.  I found out after a tow truck ride that the starter was slowly shorting and on the final trip was a dead short.  A key indicator of this is the starter housing will be very hot, very quick.  The new starter is now click, boom...instant start.

Also, dump the floor starter.  Use a solenoid and then any type of ignition switch will work.  Again, convert it to 12V ASAP.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing to add but I hope you get it figured out and that's a great looking old truck.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]
So is the floor starter switch part of the starter or a stand alone part?  I assume stand alone.

Is that an old part?  How are the connections?

Replacing that with a solenoid wouldn't be a bad idea.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I fixed it. Looks like when they rebuilt the starter they added a bushing to the shaft and that stopped the pinion gear from engaging the flywheel fully. Not sure what the thinking was on that. Tiny little bushing caused a big headache. Thanks to all who helped!

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad you got it sorted out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Glad you got it sorted out.
View Quote

Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad you got it fixed.

On this ones first trip, a 14 year old yellow top Optima failed:

I think I got my money's worth on that battery.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top