Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#1]
HMMWV's cannot necessarily " go anywhere ".

I recall in a blizzard here in Maryland some years ago, the Maryland National Guard and their HMMWV's we deployed.

However it was soon learned that even the might HMMWV was not match for a lot of snow.

Seems as they rode up a non-plowed road, they snow would load up under the undercarriage and bring them to a halt.

That is the only time I know of where they had a problem.

This is an actual MD NG  HMMWV stuck in the snow ....

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I recall in a blizzard here in Maryland some years ago, the Maryland National Guard and their HMMWV's we deployed.

However it was soon learned that even the might HMMWV was not match for a lot of snow.

Seems as they rode up a non-plowed road, they snow would load up under the undercarriage and bring them to a halt.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4067/4343864807_de754450c5_b.jpg
View Quote

They just don't know how to drive it in the snow...

As long as IED's aren't a threat in your precinct, they will make for good vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Lots of rural areas are getting these and once they get them painted and fixed up they mostly park them until there is a mother nature hissy fit.

I think part of it will depend on who might get to drive it but for deep water or lots of snow it might have some uses.

I figure for a good winter storm with power off for a week or two you would be helping out with everything so having a hummer to break a path or just pull everyone else out might be useful.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lots of rural areas are getting these and once they get them painted and fixed up they mostly park them until there is a mother nature hissy fit.

I think part of it will depend on who might get to drive it but for deep water or lots of snow it might have some uses.

I figure for a good winter storm with power off for a week or two you would be helping out with everything so having a hummer to break a path or just pull everyone else out might be useful.

View Quote

The same kind of mother nature hissy fits that take power out for a week also bring out the Guard with their vehicles.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Why would the fire department be off-roading? Justify they budget by responding to everything?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why does an FD want a military truck? Are they trying to play soldier?

Ambulances/Fire apparatus can't go on the beach/sand, Humvees can...

Ambulances/Fire apparatus can't drive in the woods, Humvees can.

Ambulances/Fire trucks can't really handle severely rutted, unpaved, overgrown rural roads...Humvees can.

Many departments build/spec out 4wd trucks to use for such type of situations. They are heavily modified and cost $$$$ to do so. A Humvee solves that problem..

Why would the fire department be off-roading? Justify they budget by responding to everything?

Bush fires that occur more than 20' off the road, off road car accidents, rescues, and snow storms are all good reasons.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#6]
LOL unless you have unlimited access to replacement parts and maintenance personnel, don't.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LOL unless you have unlimited access to replacement parts and maintenance personnel, don't.
View Quote

That is precisely my concern.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any reservists from 6th Motor T in New Haven in your Dept?
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Your budget guys will hate you in about 3-6 years when the maintenance bills come due.   That also goes for MRAPS.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ambulances/Fire apparatus can't go on the beach/sand, Humvees can...

Ambulances/Fire apparatus can't drive in the woods, Humvees can.

Ambulances/Fire trucks can't really handle severely rutted, unpaved, overgrown rural roads...Humvees can.

Many departments build/spec out 4wd trucks to use for such type of situations. They are heavily modified and cost $$$$ to do so. A Humvee solves that problem..

We are certified R1 first responders. We roll for just about every emergency.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Beaches
Mountains (not sure if this applies in CT)
Wilderness Search & Rescue
Snow
Floods

OP will have to look at his borough and the types of incidents the FD has to deal with, and see if the vehicle can be useful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beaches
Mountains (not sure if this applies in CT)
Wilderness Search & Rescue
Snow
Floods

OP will have to look at his borough and the types of incidents the FD has to deal with, and see if the vehicle can be useful.

Our borough/district is about 21 square miles. 50% rural woods/farmland and 50% suburban commercial district. We also are mutual aid responders to all surrounding towns, which are mostly very rural.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You're kidding me, right? Because off-roaders off-road and get injured doing it...
I've responded to dozens upon dozens of ATV, 4x4, hiking injuries and/or illnesses in two State parks in my AOR where only 4x4's can access the area...Wharton State forest, which has legal ATV/4x4 trails, is 123,000 acres in size and you are NOT getting an ambulance or Fire apparatus in there to do a technical rescue when someone rolls a 4x4 and is pinned in the vehicle....

Its not about justifying the budget.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding me, right? Because off-roaders off-road and get injured doing it...
I've responded to dozens upon dozens of ATV, 4x4, hiking injuries and/or illnesses in two State parks in my AOR where only 4x4's can access the area...Wharton State forest, which has legal ATV/4x4 trails, is 123,000 acres in size and you are NOT getting an ambulance or Fire apparatus in there to do a technical rescue when someone rolls a 4x4 and is pinned in the vehicle....

Its not about justifying the budget.....

Actually, it's just the opposite for us. If this thing will strain our budget, I don't want it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Your budget guys will hate you in about 3-6 years when the maintenance bills come due.   That also goes for MRAPS.
View Quote

I am the "budget guy."

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#14]
How are you currently accessing your rural scenes?  Is there any area of your responsibility your vehicles can't access?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Take it, (don't use it) and sit on it until you can auction it off to raise money for your department.  .mil HMMWVs go for stupid amounts of money given what they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backstory:

Our town is comprised of three boroughs/districts. Our borough is by far the largest of the three, encompassing 70% of the land mass of the entire town. This week I was notified that three DRMO DOD Humvees are being offered to the town and my district can have one of them. While our borough oversees all police/fire emergency services within our district, we only operate a fire department, so naturally that would be our application for this vehicle.

I'm not sold on the idea, A) because we don't really have a need for one (even though it's free), and B) I want to protect our operating budget and if this thing is a maintenance hog, I want nothing to do with it.

Any thoughts, opinions? Experience?

With all the threads on MRAPs and APCs and such, I thought the timing of this is interesting.

Take it, (don't use it) and sit on it until you can auction it off to raise money for your department.  .mil HMMWVs go for stupid amounts of money given what they are.

This.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The same kind of mother nature hissy fits that take power out for a week also bring out the Guard with their vehicles.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Towns quickly learn that there are never enough of the go guard to go around in some states, CT being one, especially where OP is from. In a place like CA or TX with much larger guard units, you absolutely have a point.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How are you currently accessing your rural scenes?  Is there any area of your responsibility your vehicles can't access?
View Quote

Yes, but we manage. Accessibility isn't a big problem, except during weather events like Hurricane Irene and big snowstorms.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backstory:

Our town is comprised of three boroughs/districts. Our borough is by far the largest of the three, encompassing 70% of the land mass of the entire town. This week I was notified that three DRMO DOD Humvees are being offered to the town and my district can have one of them. While our borough oversees all police/fire emergency services within our district, we only operate a fire department, so naturally that would be our application for this vehicle.

I'm not sold on the idea, A) because we don't really have a need for one (even though it's free), and B) I want to protect our operating budget and if this thing is a maintenance hog, I want nothing to do with it.

With all the threads on MRAPs and APCs and such, I thought the timing of this is interesting.

This.

Depends on the source program. If it is through FEPP it cannot be sold. It has to go back to the state forester that it was loaned to from DOD. If it is FEP it can be sold after the dept. has had it for a certain period of time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What model are they? M1097's?  

I would say avoid anything with armor especially anything earlier than a M1151.  

M1097's are great

M998 the original Humvees are crap.

As for maintenance... You can always talk with local guard units and see if they can loan you a light wheel mechanic and a tool box to work on it.   Reserve and Guard units are willing to work with local agencys and generally always have Soldiers that need to come in and make up missed drill days in order to get paid.  

Officially they might not be able to help you with parts BUT assuming they can order the parts they will help you out if you are willing to help them out in the future with training or what not.  

Get a copy of the -10 operators manual and PMCS the vehicles.  Its all written at a 9th grade level and super simple to follow.  

When you recieve the vehicles they will be up to date on all services and supposed to be fully mission capible.  Check and make sure the filters, oil plugs, transmission pan and oil pan bolts are all tight.  Those areas are often half assed by contracted maintenance guys.   They are NOT supposed to be leaking any fluids dispite what everyone says about diesels.  Army vehicles are considered deadlined/non-useable if they even leak a drop of fluid.
View Quote

This. We need more specifics about which model it is. Absolutely pass on it if it's an uparmored model.

A 1097 might have some good applications for rescue and recovery in the event of a natural disaster. The uparmored  models are just maintinence and fuel hogs that aren't very good off road due to the weight.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kinda like a sojer tryin' ta play grownup.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Give it to fadedsun.

He's building one. He needs the parts.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Give it to fadedsun.

He's building one. He needs the parts.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4067/4343864807_de754450c5_b.jpg
View Quote

I rode with a sgt once who chased down a flock of turkeys in a 1025. Didn't catchem' but we got really close. Mud and snow didn't stop us.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They just don't know how to drive it in the snow...

As long as IED's aren't a threat in your precinct, they will make for good vehicles.
View Quote

Fixed...they are Marylanders after all.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#25]
For deep snow, CT NG used our LMTVs and some HMMWVs to transport home bound dialysis patients to hospitals for their eat ents during the big blizzard earlier this year. Like anything else, they can get stuck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah they will be there a week later.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backstory:

This seems the obvious answer to me. If it's free and you can eventually sell it for funding, then get the thing and decide what to do with it later.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Depends on the one you get.
I picked one up a few months back.
It came from an AL National Guard MP unit and had never been overseas.
It has 80K miles on it but had been gone through.
No leaks from engine or tranny. New transfer case, glow plugs, glow plug relay and other stuff.
One of my reservists has got an in and we have a ton of extra parts including turret and door seals so the leaks are not too bad.
I only put liability insurance on it so the insurance cost is a little under $500 a year.
We got the blue lights and sirens donated from another agency and we did all the paint, graphics and installation ourselves.
We are stocking it with a generator, scene lights, chainsaws, shovels, axes, blankets, water and MREs, first aid and trauma gear.
Gonna use it when the weather gets bad and for dog and pony shows.
My area shuts down when winter weather hits so we will use it for evac when the ambulance can't get there and such.
Total cost to tax payers at this point $310
Hosting a charity 5K run to buy all the stuff to stock it with.

What it was day 1
<a href="http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/jakoury256/media/V__10451_zpsf1cc80d6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd461/jakoury256/V__10451_zpsf1cc80d6.jpg</a>

What it is now
<a href="http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/jakoury256/media/IMG_1749_zps001ce3c0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd461/jakoury256/IMG_1749_zps001ce3c0.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/jakoury256/media/WP_20140606_004_zps735ca8f5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd461/jakoury256/WP_20140606_004_zps735ca8f5.jpg</a>
View Quote

If you're in VA, let me know. I can help with graphics.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Join Steelsoldiers.com forum.  Its a great place and a wealth of information.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After Katrina my unit had a jet on the ground less than 24 hours after the storm passed that brought in 65,000 MREs and 8,000 gallons of jet fuel and I can guarantee that we weren't the first through the door.

In the end we show up when we are asked to.  If your governor can't be bothered to ask don't blame us when we don't show.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I am the "budget guy."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am the "budget guy."

Clearly it varies with size/population, but I get the distinct impression most of Arfcom doesn't realize the scale of municipal budgets.

Population roughly 250k, 3000ish vehicles.
Our maintenance budget is in the millions.
I have no idea what our replacement budget is.
We spent a half million on tires last year, minus labor, and those installed by vendors, the vendors probably add another 100k in parts alone.
Spending over 20k in maintenance across the life of a patrol car is par for the course, for refuse trucks it can run over 100k.
A special use Humvee that gets used once a month will only come under scrutiny because it is so visible to the constituents and aldermen, not because it's actually exceptional.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If it's intended to be used as a disaster assistance vehicle why the hell did you paint it black with subdued lettering?  One would think bright and high contrast would be the preferred scheme.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No leaks from engine or tranny. New transfer case, glow plugs, glow plug relay and other stuff.
One of my reservists has got an in and we have a ton of extra parts including turret and door seals so the leaks are not too bad.
I only put liability insurance on it so the insurance cost is a little under $500 a year.
We got the blue lights and sirens donated from another agency and we did all the paint, graphics and installation ourselves.
We are stocking it with a generator, scene lights, chainsaws, shovels, axes, blankets, water and MREs, first aid and trauma gear.
My area shuts down when winter weather hits so we will use it for evac when the ambulance can't get there and such.

What it was day 1
<a href="http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/jakoury256/media/V__10451_zpsf1cc80d6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd461/jakoury256/V__10451_zpsf1cc80d6.jpg</a>

What it is now
<a href="http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/jakoury256/media/IMG_1749_zps001ce3c0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd461/jakoury256/IMG_1749_zps001ce3c0.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/jakoury256/media/WP_20140606_004_zps735ca8f5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd461/jakoury256/WP_20140606_004_zps735ca8f5.jpg</a>

If it's intended to be used as a disaster assistance vehicle why the hell did you paint it black with subdued lettering?  One would think bright and high contrast would be the preferred scheme.

Because the bed liner and primer I shot it with is a hell of a lot cheaper. The budget for my whole agency is 60K a year. Every penny counts!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#33]
UPDATE: headed off to see the vehicles now. Will post pics later.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#34]
On a positive note, these vehicles use the blood of angry protesters as lube.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OP,

The vehicles will be fully serviced and probably depot rebuilt.  Not good as new BUT damn close.   Sometimes the contractors they hire to service/rebuild the equipment are shitty but odds are you will get good trucks.  The Army is very by the book when it comes to releasing serviceable equipment.
View Quote

Just got back from inspecting two of the Humvees. They are most definitely not "depot rebuilt." It looks like they were simply stripped of anything not vehicle-specific (radios, etc) and parked. One is a 2009 and the other is a 2004. The '09 is in better shape than the '04, as would be expected.

Pics incoming.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Both are M1025s. Not familiar with this model. Anyone chime in?

The '04 has this light colored sand/grit EVERYWHERE. The engine also has a skip while running. Are these GM 6.5Ls?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#37]

The '09.

What is that contraption? Must have been a comms vehicle?

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Humvee1.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Humvee2.jpg

The '04 has this light colored sand/grit EVERYWHERE. The engine also has a skip while running. Are these GM 6.5Ls?
View Quote

No - it's the old 6.2 L.  150 horsepower stock, 190 turbo.  Most of the up-armored ones were turbocharged.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I drove and lived in the older 996 for 8 years and now rarely drive the newer ones.  The 09 in the pic looks like a rebuild when they converted the older ones and put in the new engine and trans to make it a 1024 or what ever the new designation is now.  Looks from the load out that it was a scout truck with all the tie downs for 50 cal cans and what looks like a power amplifier (but not 100% sure on the electrical box.)  What ever the miles are on its odomitor is a lie.  That is only the miles for that engine.  If I am right that frame most likely has 200K hard miles on it.  What ever you convert it to, is gona cost mad money to wash it down proper, paint, and then add new seats that people will want to sit in with out a tetnus shot.  Unless you have a need for a disaster vehicle for huricanes and such I say you are looking at a money pit to get these going proper.  Parts availability is a bitch.  We always had 6 - 10 down awaiting parts constantly.  

That said if it was my money and my dept I would jump all over this.  Pressure wash the shit out of it.  Spray paint it black and red.  Last mount a fire house on the turret for riots and forest fires and have at it.  That back area can house a pretty decent water tank and the power amp should be enough to run the pump and any radios you will need.  Also remember it is a 24 volt system, plenty of juice for loud speakers and theme songs while doing hero work.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Backstory:

If it's DRMO can't be resold.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Humvee1.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Humvee2.jpg

View Quote

You can always tell a shit paint job when they don't paint the door sills
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
You know FD's have been using hummer's since the day they hit the scene right?

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://www.emergencyrigs.net/users%5C14%5C1280_0001273.jpg  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OH NOES militierization of da FD

FD's have been modding out old military vehicles for a long time. Especially broke ass rural VFDs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Just got back from inspecting two of the Humvees. They are most definitely not "depot rebuilt." It looks like they were simply stripped of anything not vehicle-specific (radios, etc) and parked. One is a 2009 and the other is a 2004. The '09 is in better shape than the '04, as would be expected.

Pics incoming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP,

The vehicles will be fully serviced and probably depot rebuilt.  Not good as new BUT damn close.   Sometimes the contractors they hire to service/rebuild the equipment are shitty but odds are you will get good trucks.  The Army is very by the book when it comes to releasing serviceable equipment.

Pics incoming.
Yes they were, you can see on the data plate when they were re-manufactured.

That truck is from the 80's or early 90's.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

http://indianafiretrucks.com/pictures/greene/taylor_township/brush-11-ds.jpg

FD's have been modding out old military vehicles for a long time. Especially broke ass rural VFDs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://indianafiretrucks.com/pictures/greene/taylor_township/brush-11-ds.jpg

I want a weapons carrier bad.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What it was day 1

What it is now

That appears to be City of Nelson, GA, not Nelson County, VA.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If it's DRMO can't be resold.  
View Quote

Found out today it's NOT DRMO. After seven years, they're ours to keep and then do whatever we want, even sell.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

Pics incoming.

I meant that "they were not depot rebuilt to make ready for sale/distribution." They look like they were used up until recently and then simply stripped and driven to us.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:  Found out today it's NOT DRMO. After seven years, they're ours to keep and then do whatever we want, even sell.
View Quote

That changes the equation a bit.  Since the diesels are pre-2006, they're legal for civilians to own.  As little as you would drive it, the depreciation is about nil.  After 7 years, you might break even on the maintenance or even come out ahead.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top