BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Life+Hacks_9ff666_4856726.jpg

Disclaimer: don't actually do this and sue me for your stupidity.
View Quote

I microwave the ice cream container for about 15 seconds.  Works fine.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#2]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crack a frozen pizza in half over the corner of a kitchen counter when you're cooking for one.

http://www.gracerivers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/God-Im-Lonely.jpg

brutal
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
3 parts regular Mountain Dew + 1 part blue Powerade (berry) = Homemade Baja Blast
View Quote

I tried making my own, but with Hawaiian Punch (green and blue) mixed with Sprite.  Didn't get as close as your recipe probably does.

Really good info to have, since Baja Blast was only released commercially for the summer time period.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

They said it accelerated wear. That's all I know. I buy 3n1 oil in bulk, so everything I own gets that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mobil 1 works just as good as "gun oil" that costs 20x as much.

I know it works for most but be advised, Crane maintains (last I asked) that motor oil is unsat for weapons.

They give any reason why?

They said it accelerated wear. That's all I know. I buy 3n1 oil in bulk, so everything I own gets that.

That's laughably absurd, given the job of oil inside of an engine.

Here's a few hacks:

If you're disassembling something with a lot of screws or bolts, and it's important where they go back in, draw the shape of your engine/part/etc. on a piece of carboard and punch holes where the screws go. Put them in the corresponding holes as you take it apart, and re-assembly is idiot-proof and you won't lose screws or bolts.

Lemon Pledge is an outstanding glass cleaner, spray it and buff it dry with a good lint-free rag and it'll resist bugs/water/dirt for visors, windshields, goggles, etc.

Keep a blank check folded up in your wallet if you don't carry your checkbook around. For the odd time you find a service or restaurant that doesn't take plastic (yes, they still exist), they often will take a check.

If you break a throttle/clutch cable or something of that nature, a great field repair is to bend both broken ends into an "L" and glob a bit of JB Weld around it. When it hardens, it'll stay secure long enough to get you home.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's one i think i invented.  Someone made a joke about chocolate-chip cookies and it reminded me of how to standardize your cookie size.
After mixing the cookie dough roll it up into a log and wrap it in wax paper.  Set it aside in the fridge.
When it's time to cook simply cut identical sized slices from the roll.  All your cookies are the same size.

I know, I'm OCD about cookie size.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crack a frozen pizza in half over the corner of a kitchen counter when you're cooking for one.

http://www.gracerivers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/God-Im-Lonely.jpg

Wife doesn't like pizza as much as I do.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mobil 1 works just as good as "gun oil" that costs 20x as much.
View Quote

How much freaking gun oil do you use that it could remotely become an issue? I'm still on a 5 year old free sample of Slip2000 or whatever it's called. I think the $7 bottle would last a family of 5 for a decade or so. Save your 25 cents per year, I'll splurge on the fancy label and convenient dispenser.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#9]
whitehack hacks:

Carry a baggie full of nitrile gloves in your car.  Have to work on your car or change a tire, dismember a body?  Grab the gloves, no dirty hands.

If you are going to be working on something dirty and don't want to use gloved?  Scrape a bar of soap with your fingernails first.  When you wash your hands after you are done the dirt won't be under your fingernails.

If you are changing out a bike tire or other tubed tire put a little talc powder in first then inflate the tube a bit.  Hell of a lot easier.

blackhat (these are intended as humor only and should never be attempted):

Getting annoying calls from someone and they just won't stop (parole officer, bill collector, etc).  Instead of getting mad, which they expect, just start talking dirty to them.  Ask if the sound of your voice turns them on.  Ask what they are wearing.  Works better if it's a dude on the other end.

Roommate stealing your beer?  Carefully open the bottle as to not damage the cap.  Drink all the beer then piss in the bottles, reinstall cap and stick back in fridge.  This won't work if your roommate is Bear Grylls or the beer is Coors.

Need a little revenge without causing (too much) harm and have access to their vehicle?  Works best on RWD/4WD vehicles.  Go to lowes and buy some big zipties.  They are about 1/2" wide and industrial strength.  Climb under car and firmly attach to drive shaft.  Wrap around shaft and loop under itself or apply a little tape to the end.  The goal is not have the end of the tie come loose until going a little bit.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It works... been doing it for years.  Buy one of those cheap spray bottles and use it to spray the H202 (also cheap).  You'll see the H202 start foaming as it immediately starts breaking down the bug proteins. If the bug splats have been there a while, I may spray twice and let the H202 soak for 5-10 min before washing normally.  

This eliminates the problem of the gritty dried bugs scratching your paint or clearcoat as you try to scrub them off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spray Hydrogen Peroxide on my Harley batwing to get rid of dried bugs before I wash it.  The H202 starts breaking down the bug proteins right away and allows you to wipe them off without scratching paint.  Works on anything with petrified bug splats.

Holy shit.  If this works, you just changed my life. The one thing I hate about living in the country is the volume of bugs that hit your car. I've tried clay bars, scrubbing vigorously, polishing compound, all with little success.

It works... been doing it for years.  Buy one of those cheap spray bottles and use it to spray the H202 (also cheap).  You'll see the H202 start foaming as it immediately starts breaking down the bug proteins. If the bug splats have been there a while, I may spray twice and let the H202 soak for 5-10 min before washing normally.  

This eliminates the problem of the gritty dried bugs scratching your paint or clearcoat as you try to scrub them off.

This is a great way to get blood up too.  We use it in the fire department for blood on the road, our stretcher etc, and I've used it in my garage for blood on the concrete .
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
A couple of kitchen-cleaning life hacks for you.

Blender: try blending hot water and dish soap.  Unless you have really sticky stuff inside it should do the trick.

Microwave: cook a cup of water for a minute first. The water will help loosen any stuck food, so you don't have to scrub as hard.  (even burned in food messes)  
I wish I'd known about that one back when I was in the Navy and had to clean the Chief & Divo's microwave; theirs always had burned-in messes they just left there for us to fix for them.

Speaking of military...

If you ever have trouble with those pin clasps ("frogs") falling off, you can use a pencil eraser in place of them.  They came in handy for inspections.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're like me and you throw a warm beer in the freezer to chill it, wrap it in a damp paper towel first. It chills a lot faster
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's also the opposite of your exhaust pipe exit. Is this reversed in England and Australia?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For those who don't know, your vehicle's gas gauge will have an arrow near it indicating which side you fill on.

http://serentipity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/gas-tank.jpg

It's also the opposite of your exhaust pipe exit. Is this reversed in England and Australia?
I must have no fuel fill, dual exhaust.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Talc on balls.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For those who don't know, your vehicle's gas gauge will have an arrow near it indicating which side you fill on.

No stupid, you have 2 fuel tanks.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Talc on balls.
View Quote

Particularly in a hot weather climate, absolute game changer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#17]
When you open that new bar of soap don't use it for a day or two.  Let it sit somewhere with plenty of ventilation. The moisture and fragrances will mostly evaporate away and it won't get all mushy the first time you use it.  It will last longer but work just as good.

Come to think of it, i might have learned that one here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you run across the industrial type toilet paper rolls that dont have a tube (Center less), grab a small roll (The end of the roll) about 2-3" worth to keep in your car.

There is a ton of paper in those last few inches and it is very compact.

ETA, this is the kind.

http://randomwithjenn.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/up.jpg

View Quote

Where I work, we call the last 1 inch or so a "manpon."

You can put the whole thing in your crack if your ass gets sweaty.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you run across the industrial type toilet paper rolls that dont have a tube (Center less), grab a small roll (The end of the roll) about 2-3" worth to keep in your car.

There is a ton of paper in those last few inches and it is very compact.

ETA, this is the kind.

http://randomwithjenn.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/up.jpg

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I've worked on cars since I was in high school and I hadn't thought of this until a few months ago. When replacing the oil filter or removing the oil drain plug, wrap a shopping bag around your hand. That way your glove doesn't get covered in oil.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife's and my car both have dual exhaust.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Clean car windows with windex and black and white newspaper.
It may just change your life.
View Quote

A guy i knew in high school used to do that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#23]
...bump, or something.

Navigate a large bank of life hacks by going to buzzfeed dot com and searching "life hack."  -Suggested by the Wife.

If you have a flashlight, a length of 550 cord or at least 2 zip-ties, and a patch of leather the approximate volume of the flashlight, you can attach the light temporarily to almost any weapon you own (ETA: will not really work on semi-auto pistols).  Wrap the light in the leather, use a cord or zip-tie to secure the leather to the light, then use another cord/zip-tie to attach it to the barrel handguard, whatever.  -Suggested by me.

Not sure how many shots it'll withstand, but hey, for less than $5 in materials, that ain't bad!  

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Just saw this last week...  For assistance when using a Porta John at night, put a light stick bracelet in the urinal. Not only does it give you something to aim at, because its a ring, it's easy to retrieve with a branch the next day.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

With a wicked sharp knife, the tears are kept at bay. I'll bet he hardly noticed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought everybody knew this.

You do need a wicked sharp knife, and honing a cheap POS won't cut it.

the guy in that video doesn't give two shits about onion tears.

for those of you who are more concerned with doing it tear-free instead of the right way - do it under water

With a wicked sharp knife, the tears are kept at bay. I'll bet he hardly noticed.

most people here, who would benefit from that advice, do not have a wicked sharp knife that is also thin enough for the job/not serrated. people here have fighting knives, bayonets, pocket knives, and tools - not typically kitchen cutlery.

except XCR, I bet that crazy woman has every imaginable kinda knife.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Got chewing gum stuck in your favorite shirt? This happened to me once at school.

Scrape off as much as you can, then apply cooking oil (olive oil was what I had at the time). This will help dissolve the gum.

Got candle wax on your clothes? Scrape as much as you can, then sandwich the wax stain with a paper shopping bag, and apply a warm iron. The iron melts the wax, and the bag will wick the wax away.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Gardening: In Nuevo Mehico we have lots of thorny plants. Thorns range in size from epic sword-sized thorns (actually 1 1/2 inch or more) to tiny almost microscopic thorns. These tiny ones get through the regular gardening gloves and make them useless.

To defeat the thorns, before you put your gardening gloves on, put on a pair of blue nitrile gloves (like the docs, nurses and EMTs use). They are specifically designed to be puncture-resistant*, and the thorns won't disturb you.

*NOT puncture-proof, but they are lots better than latex!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What do you use to remove the peanut butter?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use peanut butter to remove sticky substances left over from stickers on merchandise.

Cooking oil.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Water bottle sports caps fit nicely on oil containers for a nice clean pour.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Cooking oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use peanut butter to remove sticky substances left over from stickers on merchandise.

Cooking oil.

Yellow Labrador

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yellow Labrador

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cooking oil.

Yellow Labrador

It doesn't have to be a yellow, DAMHIK.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:17:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A couple of kitchen-cleaning life hacks for you.

Blender: try blending hot water and dish soap.  Unless you have really sticky stuff inside it should do the trick.

Microwave: cook a cup of water for a minute first. The water will help loosen any stuck food, so you don't have to scrub as hard.  (even burned in food messes)  
I wish I'd known about that one back when I was in the Navy and had to clean the Chief & Divo's microwave; theirs always had burned-in messes they just left there for us to fix for them.

Speaking of military...

http://oi60.tinypic.com/k3t2bq.jpg
If you ever have trouble with those pin clasps ("frogs") falling off, you can use a pencil eraser in place of them.  They came in handy for inspections.
View Quote

Yep. Also a piece if cardboard will work
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I once bought a fancy solvent/degreaser. I opened the can, and I knew right away all it was was xylene. I could have saved a few bucks by buying the xylene.

I was going to buy some solution to get water out of my ear. I looked at the contents; it was rubbing alcohol with food coloring.

Moral of the stories: check the contents before you buy something pricy or you may be that sucker that's born every minute.
View Quote

Seems like you may have been born twice.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here's one i think i invented.  Someone made a joke about chocolate-chip cookies and it reminded me of how to standardize your cookie size.
After mixing the cookie dough roll it up into a log and wrap it in wax paper.  Set it aside in the fridge.
When it's time to cook simply cut identical sized slices from the roll.  All your cookies are the same size.

View Quote

Use waxed dental floss to cut the cookie log into cookie disks. Loop it around the log, cross the ends, and pull like a garrote. That keeps the log from squishing due to hand/knife pressure. Unflavored floss works best, unless you want that extra bit of minty freshness in the cookies.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Use waxed dental floss to cut the cookie log into cookie disks. Loop it around the log, cross the ends, and pull like a garrote. That keeps the log from squishing due to hand/knife pressure. Unflavored floss works best, unless you want that extra bit of minty freshness in the cookies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

use a disher. The flat cookies don't cook right imo. plus, then you don't have to put all that crap in a log. (Do put the dough in the fridge for a while, though)

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#37]
A 1:1 mix of sweet pickle relish and diced jalapeños is the best hot dog topping ever.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And cornbread. Yum! Thanks, OP, now I'm hungry and it's too soon for lunch!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I save bacon grease to use when I have fresh green beans to add flavor

And scrambled eggs.

And cornbread. Yum! Thanks, OP, now I'm hungry and it's too soon for lunch!

To keep cornbread from becoming crumbly, as soon as you take it from the oven, cover it with a damp towel.

And yes,my mouf is watering too!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah, and what do now with the pinless grenade?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pull the pin on a grenade and set it underneath a paint can in your garage.

What does the pin do under the paint can?

Yeah, and what do now with the pinless grenade?

1. Buy a soda can safe.

2. Put grenade into soda can safe.

3. Leave in your sock drawer for thieves to find.

4. Win!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about dual exhaust cars? Do they not need gas?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For that matter, if I don't realize where my filler is, what makes anyone think I can see the exhaust from the driver's seat?

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

For that matter, if I don't realize where my filler is, what makes anyone think I can see the exhaust from the driver's seat?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of makes sense though, since my mouth is located on the opposite end and side from my butthole...
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#43]
To make a 50 gallon ziplock bag:

Take 6 feet of 3/4" or 1" clear plastic hose. Cut it in half. Take one half and slit it lengthwise, preferable along the inside of the curve left behind when it was on a roll.

Take the open end of your trash bag, roll it around the uncut tube, and slide the cut tube over the uncut tube and bag.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
interesting.  I've seen rumors that it is fish oil, but Snopes says "No" based on the MSDS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When fishing inshore saltwater or brackish water, spray your bait with some wd40.

interesting.  I've seen rumors that it is fish oil, but Snopes says "No" based on the MSDS.

Wish someone had told my dad. He said it helped the arthritis in his hands.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Seriously, though, a banana and peanut butter sammich is heavenly!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Mag Meter
Learned this one right here on ARFCOM.

Take an empty mag and load five rounds
Slide a zip tie down into the back spine of the mag until it stops
Mark the tie where it meets the top of the last round
Repeat by adding five rounds and marking until the mag is full
You now have a handy tool for doing round counts for easier mag top off.

ETA: this works on all mags except straight PMAG 20, for some reason the tie will slid all the way to the floor plate.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
To make a 50 gallon ziplock bag:

Take 6 feet of 3/4" or 1" clear plastic hose. Cut it in half. Take one half and slit it lengthwise, preferable along the inside of the curve left behind when it was on a roll.

Take the open end of your trash bag, roll it around the uncut tube, and slide the cut tube over the uncut tube and bag.
View Quote

Uhh...

Is this for containing those dead call girls hookers until they can be properly disposed?

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I believe his end result was banana bread.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#49]
OK now I feel stupid for not knowing this even with labels on the damn box.

http://www.globetoday.com/the-top-secret-about-tin-foil-plastic-wrap-they-dont-want-you-to-know/

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OK now I feel stupid for not knowing this even with labels on the damn box.

http://www.globetoday.com/the-top-secret-about-tin-foil-plastic-wrap-they-dont-want-you-to-know/

View Quote

Who the shit is that guy?

His sign-off is almost a direct pull from FPSRussia.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top