Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/7/2014 10:59:06 PM EDT

Had a skewed view of bikes. I never remembered then being above $300. I guess that's changed. I can't afford any of the suggestions. I figured everyone was being a brand snob. Sorry guys.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Craigslist

Eta wrenching a bike is pretty easy
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Nashbar 29er

I have one of these.  Hard to beat for the money, bombproof and rolls over anything.  Otherwise buy used. Don't buy a bike from Walmart or Target.

ETA: The frame size, seatpost length, handlebar reach, and pedal length on a bike might all vary due to height, but you can ride any size wheels you'd like.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Craigslist  

Eta wrenching a bike is pretty easy
View Quote

Well, yeah, but I meant "able to work on " as in,  doesnt use proprietary parts. unusual threads, etc. I've read about that being a problem with big box store biikes.,
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to buy a bike that's 80 bucks like in the 90's, you're going to have to buy a bike from the 90's....
Box store bikes are junk, they are cheaper versions of the better quality bikes of the same name sold in bike stores, find what fits and buy a 3-5 year old quality bike for a couple hundred bucks on CL.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Check CL. Should be able to find a Stumpjumper or Rockhopper(instert Trek or Garry Fisher equivalent, I happen to ride Specialized) hardtail for a few hundred. Take it to your local bike shop for a tune up and ride it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you want to buy a bike that's 80 bucks like in the 90's, you're going to have to buy a bike from the 90's....

Box store bikes are junk, they are cheaper versions of the better quality bikes of the same name sold in bike stores, find what fits and buy a 3-5 year old quality bike for a couple hundred bucks on CL.  
View Quote

so riding around on a dirt path with a regular bike will fall apart or something?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Craiglist
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Check CL. Should be able to find a Stumpjumper or Rockhopper(instert Trek or Garry Fisher equivalent, I happen to ride Specialized) hardtail for a few hundred. Take it to your local bike shop for a tune up and ride it.
View Quote

this sounds like very good advice
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
so riding around on a dirt path with a regular bike will fall apart or something?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but it'll feel like your brakes are constantly dragging and when you finally get tired of everything feeling mushy and junky and start sourcing upgrades it'll come out to being the same price as getting a 5-10 year old top of the line bike with really nice components.

Unless stuff does just up and break, the walmart bikes actually do have that happen.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:21:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No, but it'll feel like your brakes are constantly dragging and when you finally get tired of everything feeling mushy and junky and start sourcing upgrades it'll come out to being the same price as getting a 5-10 year old top of the line bike with really nice components.

Unless stuff does just up and break, the walmart bikes actually do have that happen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why not just fix it so it doesn't drag?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bike shops tend to sell top of the line bikes for serious users, and represent the high end of the.scale.  The bikes at Walmart or Target aren't regular bikes, they are the bottom of the barrel, and are designed for the typical American who will ride it to the end of the driveway, get winded, and park it in the garage for the next ten years.

You can find lots of new bikes online for a few hundred bucks and actually read user reviews. I would consider $300-700 the going rate for a "regular" bike of good quality.  You can find them used for half of what they go for new if you look around.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bike shops tend to sell top of the line bikes for serious users, and represent the high end of the.scale.  The bikes at Walmart or Target aren't regular bikes, they are the bottom of the barrel, and are designed for the typical American who will ride it to the end of the driveway, get winded, and park it in the garage for the next ten years.

You can find lots of new bikes online for a few hundred bucks and actually read user reviews. I would consider $300-700 the going rate for a "regular" bike of good quality.  You can find them used for half of what they go for new if you look around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

anywhere besides CL?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Send them to school.
But em books,
Teach em to ball.
And they still swing at a 3-2 pitch.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Please don't buy a walmart bike. In the 90's it was still a bad idea.

Also, that sounds weird for a bike shop not to have a bike under 4k. My bike store has plenty under 500.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#15]
go to your local CL, search Gary Fisher, I bet you can find something you'll like better, will be higher quality, and be less expensive than what you're looking at in the department stores
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
go to your local CL, search Gary Fisher, I bet you can find something you'll like better, will be higher quality, and be less expensive than what you're looking at in the department stores
View Quote

Cannondale....

Fixed
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't get a full suspension bike from Walmart, target, etc.  A hard tail from there could serve you "ok" as long as you're not doing the extreme.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Trek 820.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

anywhere besides CL?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

anywhere besides CL?

Ebay, pawnshops, classified ads, bike-specific websites with exchanges, garage sales.  Pretty much the same places you would look for anything used, but most people will likely be using craigslist.  I know reading is for faggots, but do some research on the bike forums, they all have stickied threads addressing this very question because it gets asked every day.

The Nashbar 29er is typically recommended as best budget 29er.  Figure out what you want and then research it.  Zero people who actually ride bikes will recommend something bought from a store that also sells groceries.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Cannondale....

Fixed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cannondale....

Fixed

well sure, I just recommended the Gary Fisher because it seems like it could be less expensive, but I'm not really sure.  I was trying to price it at or under what he's looking at now, say $200 or less.  I'm not sure what Cannondale prices are like
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I said feel, the brakes won't actually be dragging.  It'll just feel like it because all the components are so cheap and crappy.

And to fix it would be the cost of buying all the nicer stuff that comes on more expensive bikes.  

Then you'd be left with nice components on a crap frame.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I said feel, the brakes won't actually be dragging.  It'll just feel like it because all the components are so cheap and crappy.

And to fix it would be the cost of buying all the nicer stuff that comes on more expensive bikes.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What;s the absolute minimum for this?

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I forget which model, but I've had a Giant mountain bike for the past 5 years I take on the trail quite often. It's comfortable and has held up to some pretty rough terrain. I think I spent no more than $500 from a local bike shop. Mine is a hard tail with front only suspension. I'm not flying down hills while running over boulders so I'm sure someone here will say whatever I have isn't close to being a real mountain bike. It's just the way of GD.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

well sure, I just recommended the Gary Fisher because it seems like it could be less expensive, but I'm not really sure.  I was trying to price it at or under what he's looking at now, say $200 or less.  I'm not sure what Cannondale prices are like
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cannondale....

Fixed

I picked up a Cannondale 29er hardtail new 2 years ago for $700 and put $300 into great disc brakes (the stock had dic but they were mushy)
I'm sure you could find that bike used for half that price or less. It's a great bike and I've done some pretty wild trails on it. My last Cannondale stayed in great shape for 15 years. The only reason I bought the new one is some as swipe stole my old one.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:24:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Fuck Walmart and Target, you can get something decent at Performance Bike.

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mIndex?storeId=10052&catalogId=10551
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:24:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll just walk over spendingi $700 on a bike.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I bought a $500 something Diamondback Response 26" that was on sale for $275. Im 5'10 200lbs. Fits me like a glove. Front and rear Shimano brakes, front and rear locking hubs etc etc. Is it a high end bike? No. But its a little nicer and lighter than any Walmart bike that I could find.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I bought a $500 something Diamondback Response 26" that was on sale for $275. Im 5'10 200lbs. Fits me like a glove. Front and rear Shimano brakes, front and rear locking hubs etc etc. Is it a high end bike? No. But its a little nicer and lighter than any Walmart bike that I could find.
View Quote

Aluminum body?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:27:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Aluminum body?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aluminum body?

Yep. The stock seat sucks and one of the plastic pedals broke already but they arent expensive to replace.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#30]
To the OP: can't you accept that, like firearms, it's better to buy once and cry once? Wouldn't you steer someone away from buying an Olympic Arms rifle, knowing they will just have to buy something better later?

Same thing here.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Buy a $300 bike on CL and put $500 into it.

Or buy an $800 and rock out with your...........

I still say Cannondale.
I havent put a dime into mine.
Rode if for years.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:31:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
To the OP: can't you accept that, like firearms, it's better to buy once and cry once? Wouldn't you steer someone away from buying an Olympic Arms rifle, knowing they will just have to buy something better later?

Same thing here.
View Quote

2 mins apart.
Exactly what I was trying to say.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are you talking about? Here in GD, $700 is only enough to buy a kids tricycle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#35]
The LBS might only have $4k+ rigs on the floor, but the big name builders (Trek, Specialized, etc,) make plenty of sub $1k bikes that are going to be much much better than anything you'd get from a big-box store.

My current main bike is a "used" (I think the guy rode it maybe twice...) Trek 6500 hard-tail that I've got maybe $900 into, even after upgrading the brakes to mechanical discs. Unless you're racing or riding 40+ miles a ride, you don't need a squishy back end.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Enjoy the walk.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Same thing here.
View Quote

Explain PSA.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can do that.  The thing about the very low cost bikes is that they come out of adjustment much more easily.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Enjoy the walk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy the walk.

I do as it is.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:44:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I always considered a $700 mountain bike to be a fairly decent mountain bike.

Big box retailers sell junk.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Don't buy a bike from Walmart, Target, etc.. .

Find a Giant or Raleigh dealer near you. Both   companies sell decent bikes for less than 500 bucks.

My Giant Boulder is 10  years old and I've never had an issue with it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have an unrealistic view of what a bicycle should cost.

Think of all the parts and machining involved in a bicycle and how precise it all needs to be to function.  Think about the equipment and skilled labor involved manufacturing each piece and the skilled labor to assemble it.

The Chinese bikes at the big box stores are cheap because they have cut every corner on every component and the labor to assemble them.  

People like PSA because they typically work and can always be upgraded like every other AR.  If they fell apart or only accepted proprietary parts no one would like them.

This isn't a case of judging a bike on cost but on its components.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:04:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You can do that.  The thing about the very low cost bikes is that they come out of adjustment much more easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Though you do learn how to adjust a grouping...

Since you do it every time you ride.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Been looking at the Walmart and Target.

I noticed Mongoose,Schwinn have nice prices. but don't trust the assembly of them by the employees.

should i buy the box and build it myself?

Local Bike shop has cheapest bike at 4,000 and above.

I remember in the 90's bikes were 80 bucks, and lasted us for a decade until they eventually rusted from neglect.

Hard tail? Full suspension?

im 5 foot 8, tire size? 26, 27.5, 28 or 29?

Looking for something i can work on myself if it breaks.

This cought my attention.

a mongoose 2.5 ledge with 27.5" ,disc brakes and shimano hardware.

of the mongoose models, the 26 felt to small, the 29 felt too unwieldy, but this model felt just right.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/86/75/41/0003867541588_AV2_500X500.jpg
View Quote

bikes from the 90s costing 80 bucks?  Dont remember that...

Do yourself a favor and just forget the cheap bikes from walmart and target and look into used bikes...

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#45]
$700 buys a hell of a better bike than $200 at Walmart does. Find a local bike shop that stocks trek, giant, c-dale, all the big names. Try a lot of different bikes and sizes, talk to the people at the store. They can get you set up.  $700 is about the minimum I would spend on a bike.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:54:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Do some reading over here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/forum.php

Its the Arfcom for mountain bikes.  Check the classifieds as well on that site.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:57:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I wouldn't put any more effort into helping the OP on bikes, looks like he's moved on in his needs....

link
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
You'll be totally fine on a wal-mart bike on that, you'll get exactly what you want out of it.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:11:47 AM EDT
[#49]
I have a haro mountain bike that I paid 400 for and have beat that thing senseless and it keeps on going
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:38:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Another vote for Craigslist.  I picked up a 1981 Schwinn Super Sport Touring bike for $125.  As for $80 dollar bikes from the 90's, my bike retailed in 1981 for $699.00!  For the equivalent quality today I would have to shell out $1800 and up.
This is how she looked when I picked it up:

And after my upgrades:
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top