Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2014 11:52:29 PM EDT
So, I was looking up some gun control statistics when I made a very "strange" discovery.

The Brady Campaign's State Scorecard is so filled with inaccuracies that it can only be explained by downright retardation, or purposeful lies.

Example: The Scorecard rates California as an A-, and Alabama as a D-.

California is listed as a "Top 10 states with the lowest gun death rate" and Alabama is listed as a "Top 10 states with the highest gun death rate."

Taking a cursory glance as the FBI's 2012 CIUS lists California as having 1304 firearm murders in 2012. Alabama had 1.

The population of California is estimated at 38,340,000. Alabama: 4,833,722

That gives us a murder rate of 1304/38,340,000, or 3.401 per 100,000 in California.

And 1/4,833,722, or .021 per 100,000 in Alabama.

ETA The numbers from this are off; the Alabama data is incomplete.

Even then, look at Alaska, also one of the "10 Highest." It has a rate of 11/735132 or 1.5 per 100,000. California's rate is 226% higher.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Silly OP, you think the public actually takes time to investigate the numbers produced.  

Lying to push one's agenda will never go out of style.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#2]
That FBI CIUS report has a note next to the Alabama entry saying 'Limited supplemental homicide data were received.', so the data must be incomplete.

Alabama is a nice place, but I find it tough to believe there were only two murders in all of Alabama in 2012. There are several other sites that do list Alabama as above the national average for murders (although still way behind Louisiana).
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#3]
OP has obviously never been to birmingham.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#4]
op is obviously a gun loving troll.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:23:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That FBI CIUS report has a note next to the Alabama entry saying 'Limited supplemental homicide data were received.', so the data must be incomplete.

Alabama is a nice place, but I find it tough to believe there were only two murders in all of Alabama in 2012. There are several other sites that do list Alabama as above the national average for murders (although still way behind Louisiana).
View Quote

Didn't catch that.

Even then, look at Alaska, also one of the "10 Highest." It has a rate of 11/735132 or 1.5. California's rate is 226% higher.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
op is obviously a gun loving troll.
View Quote

Do I get a prize?

Not really trolling. Even if I were, a gun loving troll is better than some on here...
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Pro-tip.

Their statistics are not being used ON us, so it doesn't matter if they think we're dumb or not.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:39:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Ummmmm. You're looking at the wrong table. Check table number 5. It clearly shows that Alabama has one of the worst homicide rates in the US.

Here are some numbers for you from 2012:

Alabama:      Population 4,822,023 -  Murders and Non-Negligent Manslaughters 342  -  Homicide rate: 7.1 per 100,000 population

California:      Population 38,041,430 - Murders and Non-Negligent Manslaughters 1,884 - Homicide Rate: 5.0 per 100,000 population

The only states or territories with worse homicide rates were:
MS:  7.4
LA: 10.8
DC: 13.9
PR: 26.7
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:42:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was going to post this.  Between Birmingham and some other smaller parts of the state, we get a nice little number of murders here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Gun bans don't bring down the murder rate but that does not mean the murder rate will be lower in every case as the rate tens to be more dependant on a host of other factors that make up society.

The utility of the RTKBA is not that it will win out in a ad hoc murder rate comparison but what type of society it will create in the long term.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:43:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ummmmm. You're looking at the wrong table. Check table number 5. It clearly shows that Alabama has one of the worst homicide rates in the US.
View Quote

I was referencing gun homicides, not overall. Regardless, someone pointed out that their data is incomplete. Alaska is a better example.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Silly OP, you think the public actually takes time to investigate the numbers produced.  

View Quote

This x 1,000

The only way they win is by lying through their teeth, using neural programming techniques (ASSAULT RIFLE ASSAULT RIFLE ASSAULT RIFLE ASSAULT RIFLE ASSAULT RIFLE ASSAULT RIFLE ASSAULT RIFLE ASSAULT RIFLE ASSAULT RIFLE ASSAULT RIFLE ASSAULT RIFLE ASSAULT RIFLE) and having a long-term plan focused on instilling fear in the masses.

They've got the mainstream liberal media on their side as well.  The average schmuck has no pro-freedom filter.  They might know something is a bit 'off', but they will never figure it out without a concerted and unified push from fact driven, logical, responsible gun owners who push back.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:44:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gun bans don't bring down the murder rate but that does not mean the murder rate will be lower in every case as the rate tens to be more dependant on a host of other factors that make up society.

The utility of the RTKBA is not that it will win out in a ad hoc murder rate comparison but what type of society it will create in the long term.
View Quote

To be blunt and honest about the matter, the murder rate in any area of the lower 48 depends almost entirely on the Black and Hispanic percentage of the population and not on "a host of other factors".

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:45:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

To be blunt and honest about the matter, the murder rate in any area of the lower 48 depends almost entirely on the Black and Hispanic percentage of the population and not on "a host of other factors".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait a minute! You can't say stuff like that! That's not politically correct. Even though it's true.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry bro

Statistics dont lie...

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bite.

Give me that link
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah as someone that has lived in Alabama since 2009 on and off I can tell you there's a whole hell of a lot more then 1 in 2012 (not that I'm defending Brady)
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:58:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'll bite.
Give me that link
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bite.
Give me that link

Years ago, I can remember reading of a study conducted by .gov during the Carter administration (not exactly "pro-2nd"), which determined that the size of the black population of a given area was the one statistic which most directly correlated with the violent crime rate.

As I recall, they weren't too happy about that, and it didn't exactly make the front page. Have things gotten better? Who knows? One simply doesn't discuss such things in America anymore.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:01:55 AM EDT
[#19]
eta: nm. covered.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:06:44 AM EDT
[#20]
The Brainless Campaign isn't directed at thinking people.  It's designed to appeal to the emotionally manipulated.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:13:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Only one murder in 'bama? Must be one hell of a prison system
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:17:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.   Pull numbers out of your ass, get a result....
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:23:18 AM EDT
[#23]
It's the Brady Campaign. What did you expect?

Like all of their ilk the actual results aren't nearly as important as the intention. Bottom line to them  - California more heavily restricts rights, so California wins - although they are obviously lacking somewhat since they only got an A- .

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:41:02 AM EDT
[#24]
OP, you weren't skeptical about that number when there was 1 murder in Alabama?

It's obvious that either the FBI screwed the pooch or those numbers don't mean what you think they mean.

All other sources put 2012 Alabama Murders at around 325.  With a rate of about 6.7 murders per 100,000.

I hate the brady campaign as much as the rest of you but let's not say anything that will make us look so obviously stupid that the gun grabbers can point to it and say "they are blinded by the NRA can how stupid could they be to believe...."
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:44:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP, you weren't skeptical about that number when there was 1 murder in Alabama?

It's obvious that either the FBI screwed the pooch or those numbers don't mean what you think they mean.

View Quote

I mentioned that in the edited OP and added the Alaska example as how the numbers are still odd.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:49:44 AM EDT
[#26]
They don't care what  gun owners think.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:54:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Looking at how OP did his research they might think we are really dumb
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:56:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Personally I am all for the Brady Campaign.  I just can't wait to see the Monkees play at our high school's upcoming dance.  And I just love that Davy Jones.... He's just the best....ever.
"Girl....look what you've done to me..."
Go Marcia!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:56:34 AM EDT
[#29]
We aren't their  targets.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:59:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looking at how OP did his research they might think we are really dumb
View Quote

I mentioned that in the edited OP and added the Alaska example as how the numbers are still odd.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:01:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey 14er. Up is down, down is up. Good is evil, evil is good. Yes is No. F=A.

What you are looking for is a state with an F.

Using the work of your enemy against him is hard.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:03:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

The blatant truth is the Left in the US can in no way, shape, or form push any of their agenda, not one iota of it, without lying about it.

It is why they are reliant on emotion rather than fact to garner support to further their causes.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:19:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Brady and his bunch of whackos can go pound sand
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:39:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pro-tip.

Their statistics are not being used ON us, so it doesn't matter if they think we're dumb or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pro-tip.

Quoted:
The Brainless Campaign isn't directed at thinking people.  It's designed to appeal to the emotionally manipulated.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:42:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:51:18 AM EDT
[#36]
What the anti-gunnies do is lump ALL deaths involving firearms together:

Suicides (there were 11 people who jumped from the GWB this year; time to ban bridges?)

Legal shootings by law enforcement personnel (time to disarm the police?)

Legal shootings by citizens in self-defense ( what's so bad about an armed home invasion?)

These people are nuts!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:04:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Hamas is in charge of the Brady Camp's stats and information.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:08:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Especially on the left...
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:29:41 AM EDT
[#39]
And Chicago doesn't report everything either to skew the numbers to keep them from being the murder capital of the US.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:30:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Definitions.

OP is talking murder. Antis talk gun deaths, regardless of cause. Police shoot someone, anti counts it as a gun death. FBI doesn't count as murder.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:32:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#42]
They dont need you to be dumb, just 52% of the public.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top