Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2014 11:37:02 PM EDT
Two planes (identical) flying side-by-side, one is carry substantially more weight then the other.  Both planes engines turn off.

Which plane land first/farther?

I asked a former Navy Aviator (EA-6) 0-5 and he said the lighter plane travels much farther.

I also asked a current Marine Aviator (CH-53) 0-3 and he said the same thing.

I'm only asking because someone said here in GD a couple days ago that they both land at the same place but the heavier plane lands faster than the lighter plane.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Do they land on a treadmill?

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#2]

In a vacuum they would land at the same time
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do they land on a treadmill?

View Quote
great question.  no

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I flew in a plane once, i was high
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The lighter plane flys farther.   It's common sense.   Jesus Man, look up "induced drag".
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The lighter plane flys farther.   It's common sense.   Jesus Man, look up "induced drag".
View Quote
If I don't know what induced drag is, I must ask the question

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's when you convince a guy to dress up like a girl. Duh.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Oh, I get it now
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Light plane lands farther out.  I cant really break it down typing on my tablet but trust me. Glide ratio is based on tested weight. Angle of attack, induced drag, and best glide can all be effected by weight.

In before the treadmill tards and physics professors
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#11]
If you can change airspeed to the best glide then A heavier plane will have a better glide angle but require more airspeed.  So the heavier plane will go farther, fly faster, descend faster, and land earlier than a light plane.  This is why gliders have water ballast tanks for cross country racing, more distance and higher airspeed.  

If you fly at a random airspeed and don't change airspeed then it depends on the shape of the climb-descent curves.  You can't say for certain because it depends on where on the curves you are operating and the shape of the curves.  In other words you could get one answer near stall and a different answer near vne.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:22:20 AM EDT
[#12]
My dual engine failure procedure says 265 knots minimum airspeed. If they're both at 265 knots, the heavier plane will have to descend faster to maintain that speed.  So heavy plane has to descend at, say, 3000 feet per minute from 30,000 feet and light plane gets to descend at a leisurely 2000 feet per minute.  

One plane lands in 10 minutes, one gets to cruise around for 15.  The lighter plane will always be able to stay aloft longer and go further.  Less lift required= less drag=fly further.

Despite the weight differences, the swearing will be equal.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:46:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Despite the weight differences, the swearing will be equal.
View Quote

Interesting point
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:41:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Other things being equal, less mass = longer glide.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:42:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Two planes (identical) flying side-by-side, one is carry substantially more weight then the other.  Both planes engines turn off.

I asked a former Navy Aviator (EA-6) 0-5 and he said the lighter plane travels much farther.

I'm only asking because someone said here in GD a couple days ago that they both land at the same place but the heavier plane lands faster than the lighter plane.

View Quote

It depends which plane as a better glide slope. one plane being lighter has nothing to do with how far it can glide, but how much lift it generates and its optimal speed at glide slope.

to everyone saying the lighter plane goes further, what if the heavier plane produces more lift?

also balance and trim.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:22:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It depends which plane as a better glide slope. one plane being lighter has nothing to do with how far it can glide, but how much lift it generates and its optimal speed at glide slope.

to everyone saying the lighter plane goes further, what if the heavier plane produces more lift?

also balance and trim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

also balance and trim.

They're the same plane. How does the heavier plane just "produce" more lift without sacrifice? Slats and flaps? Sure more lift (along with drag). But the lighter plane can do that also. Anything the heavy plane can do, the light plane can do more efficiently.

We're talking two 747s. One max gross weight. One stripped down with minimum fuel. You're saying it's possible for those two planes to stay in the air for the same amount of time and go the same distance from equal altitudes?

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

also balance and trim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

also balance and trim.

Heavier plane has to have greater angle of attack to maintain same glide ratio. So more drag.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:23:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

also balance and trim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

also balance and trim.

Here's a hint.....the "Glideslope" will be the same for any airplane flying the same instrument approach.   After all it's published.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:26:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In a vacuum they would land at the same time
View Quote

I declare this the honorary first post.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Beware, the GD armchair aviation experts will be along shortly to tell the professional aviators that they are wrong and don't know what they are talking about.... never fails...
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:29:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Come n, every one knows it the heavy plane.

Look at a Road Runner cartoon.  The Coyote and the Road runner run of the cliff together, the coyote is heavier and falls to the bottom of the valley.  The lighter weight roadrunner doesn't.  QED.

Beep Beep
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:30:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#23]
and we wonder how obama was elected

glidslope and all
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:46:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#27]
"So, if two aircraft are identical other than weight, the lighter one glides further.
Incorrect ! Absolutely wrong!
Glide ratio (L over D or L/D) is NOT effected by aircraft weight."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_glide_ratio_not_change_with_aircraft_weight
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you can change airspeed to the best glide then A heavier plane will have a better glide angle but require more airspeed.  So the heavier plane will go farther, fly faster, descend faster, and land earlier than a light plane.  This is why gliders have water ballast tanks for cross country racing, more distance and higher airspeed.  

If you fly at a random airspeed and don't change airspeed then it depends on the shape of the climb-descent curves.  You can't say for certain because it depends on where on the curves you are operating and the shape of the curves.  In other words you could get one answer near stall and a different answer near vne.
View Quote

this is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Physics how does it work?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Since no one has mentioned how big an effect a good pilot can have in this scenerio ill add this.

Both pilots are idiots, cause a stall, and auger in due to a flat spin.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Because heavier things fall faster than lighter things.  Duh.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#33]
There are enough variables unaccounted for that I will say 'depends'.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Which direction are they headed?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#35]

drag polar of the glider

What in the wide, wide world of sports does a queer bear have to do with the angle of the dangle?

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You're one of those guys that dress for the drag, eh?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

drag polar of the glider

What in the wide, wide world of sports does a queer bear have to do with the angle of the dangle?

You're one of those guys that dress for the drag, eh?

If both airplanes had vortex generators, one having AC and one having DC, which one would glide farther?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Read this:  http://www.rjplancaster.net/documents/PrinciplesOfGliderFlight-LiftDragPerformance.pdf.  The last couple of pages explain the effect on the drag polar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read this:  http://www.rjplancaster.net/documents/PrinciplesOfGliderFlight-LiftDragPerformance.pdf.  The last couple of pages explain the effect on the drag polar.

I'll go ahead and take credit for making the original statement OP is asking about. As usual, AeroE is the aerodynamics master of the subject.

But I'll add this before people start rioting; This is more of a theoretical statement so don't get too wrapped around the axel with shit like "which airplane has the better pilot?" My statement is backed up by the last paragraph on page 40 of the hotlink; that being that glide ratio is not effected by weight but the airspeed for best glide ratio changes with weight.

Now I'm going to sit back and enjoy the shit show.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shoulda asked a glider pilot. But next time you talk to your military buddies, refer them to a manual they should be familiar with. Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators, first paragraph on page 371. Being a government publication it's a free download.

I'll harvest this one sentence from it:
"Thus, the maximum glide performance of a given airplane configuration will be unaffected by gross weight and altitude when the airplane is operated at (L/D)."
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Shoulda asked a glider pilot. But next time you talk to your military buddies, refer them to a manual they should be familiar with. [url=http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/00-80t-80.pdf]Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators[/url], first paragraph on page 371. Being a government publication it's a free download.

"Thus, the maximum glide performance of a given airplane configuration will be unaffected by gross weight and altitude when the airplane is operated at (L/D)."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoulda asked a glider pilot. But next time you talk to your military buddies, refer them to a manual they should be familiar with. [url=http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/00-80t-80.pdf]Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators[/url], first paragraph on page 371. Being a government publication it's a free download.

This is a most excellent publication!
I have a couple of them, one at home and one at the airport.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoulda asked a glider pilot. But next time you talk to your military buddies, refer them to a manual they should be familiar with. " target="_blank">Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators, first paragraph on page 371. Being a government publication it's a free download.

I always hated it myself. Makes the topic of aerodynamics incredibly boring and delivered in a damn near unreadable manner. It's both ridiculously detailed and frustratingly vague. But it does come in handy upon occasion.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#42]
The heavier plane will have a higher stall (AOA) speed due to the increased weight so it will have to be faster on final.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Depends on what the pilot does.  

I'd prefer my AC be lighter rather than heavier if the engine must go out while I'm flying it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Edit
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

Two aircraft Identical in Performance when at the same weight will not land in the same spot when one is loaded to max gross. Basically it boils down to energy, as weight goes up optimal glide speed and stall speed increase accordingly. As optimal glide speed goes up glide ratio will go down, because without power the heavier aircraft will have to pitch down and loose more altitude to maintain its glide speed. the heavier plane will land first but short.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Depends on what the pilot does.  

I'd prefer my AC be lighter rather than heavier if the engine must go out while I'm flying it.
View Quote

I prefer to have a scotch in my hand. Other than that I hope to make it an entertaining show and I'm avoiding the beach.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Tell your survivors to get back to us after your first ILS approach with zero power flown to the chart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a hint.....the "Glideslope" will be the same for any airplane flying the same instrument approach.   After all it's published.  

Tell your survivors to get back to us after your first ILS approach with zero power flown to the chart.

<-- I mean what would you know   sarcasm
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There are enough variables unaccounted for that I will say 'depends'.

View Quote

Either pilot may consider 'Depends' to be a valuable item to have equipped themselves with, in that scenario.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#49]
If that fan quits there is no question that the aircraft is going to land whether the pilot wants it to or not.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#50]
treadmill
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top