Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Did it come with reach around?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You only graduate high school once.  If she is happy, you did you job dad.
View Quote

The OP wasn't the one who approved this purchase.  His wife did it behind his back.

Dads, particularity rich dads with daughters, have a duty to set expectations for what the real world is like.   The stories I could tell about my dear ole aunt....

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
never spent 34 dollars on pics
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

She is only 17
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So where the fuck are the pics?

She is only 17

Sooo..... wait till after her birthday to divorce her mother?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know who to feel more sorry for, you or your future son in law.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Wife is happy
Daughter is happy
They had a great time together for the pictures.

The family will survive.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have four children and nine grand children, lucky for me I store all my memories of their lives
in my brain.
I couldn't afford three grand a pop.
View Quote

Thats the main point of this thread I believe.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Jebus. I have only one question. Why?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You could have bought a nice canon or Nikon... some prime lenses... paid for a nice beach vacation somewhere, and taken the shots yourself, and had money left over. Just sayin...
View Quote

He bought someone a hella nice camera...
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
When is the divorce?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

To paraphrase...  

A five year old who thinks she's a princess is charming.  An adult woman who thinks that is insane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
pro photographer here, can you just tell me his pitch? I must be dong something seriously wrong.

Four hours for the shoot

10 clothes changes and  multiple locations

6 framed pictures of her choice

One long framed picture with 8 photos in motion

80 photos in the book, 5 books total

Every photo he took on a flash drive and disk

A book?

A book of high school graduation photos?

I'm seriously missing something there.

I don't know your daughter (obviously), but I would be very concerned that you are throwing her lifelong expections waaaaay out of whack here.

To paraphrase...  

A five year old who thinks she's a princess is charming.  An adult woman who thinks that is insane.

But it's ok if you're Queen Bavmorda, because then you can have anyone who calls you insane executed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Money isn't valued much by those who aren't busting their ass in the salt mines to make it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The day they were out, the cook was in the kitchen.   We have a cook prepare meals four days each week.  It frees up time to do other things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
how does your wife spend $3,400.00 from the kitchen?????

The day they were out, the cook was in the kitchen.   We have a cook prepare meals four days each week.  It frees up time to do other things.

Oh, so you're not upset about the money, you just wanted an excuse to tell us you're filthy stinking rich! Carry on then, enjoy your happy family and nice pictures.

eta

Quoted:
Wife is happy
Daughter is happy

The family will survive.

In that case, it's kinda yucky how you started this thread to brag.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I apologize in advance if this sounds hurtful.  Here is my question:

What the fruitcake was she smoking?  

That is one of the most retarded financial decisions I've ever heard of.  Assuming you can afford to just drop that kind of cash without missing any bills or mortgage payments, all of you (especially your daughter) would have been far better off putting that money in a trust for college expenses or something along those lines.

Life isn't all about money, but you have to live, eat, and pay bills.  Decisions like that SINK people.  Even if you CAN afford it, as someone else pointed out you could have purchased all the gear that guy brought, done the shoot yourself with a little research on the internet, and had enough money left over to buy her a car.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wife is happy
Daughter is happy

The family will survive.
View Quote

Surviving is one thing.

Thriving in the REAL world, where your daughter is likely not going to be able to live according to the expectations her family has established for her, is another thing entirely.

If you have any conscience at all, you will be at the door to warn every single potential suitor of her lifestyle expectations.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Holy shit that is a huge fucking waste of money.

Did she consult with you about the price before-hand, if you're the primary earner of the house? If not, I'd be pissed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

She is an honor student

Wants to be a doctor

She likes to shoot

She has a great circle of friends

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You only graduate high school once.  If she is happy, you did you job dad.

She is an honor student

Wants to be a doctor

She likes to shoot

She has a great circle of friends

How much chemistry, biology, and physics has she had? If she hasn't already had an AP class for each, then she better cram it in this year or her first two years of college will suck, and her chances of holding a high GPA will be slimmer. Ask me how I know...
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You could have bought a nice canon or Nikon... some prime lenses... paid for a nice beach vacation somewhere, and taken the shots yourself, and had money left over. Just sayin...
View Quote

ouch
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's all this thread was.

OP and his wife must have not let their daughter in on the little secret that no one cares about their or anyone elses senior pictures 5 years a year later.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I just spent $960.00 on my daughters senior pictures,and i thought that was alot of money!!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife would never ever spend that kinna $ for soemthing that retarded.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kinda, yep.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Why?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just think though, when your daughter is older and your wife plans her wedding.  You will look back and think her senior pics were a bargain.
View Quote

Ouch! Good point.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Kinda, yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda, yep.

I'm over the shock. Gd showed me some laughs at my expense
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Oh, so you're not upset about the money, you just wanted an excuse to tell us you're filthy stinking rich! Carry on then, enjoy your happy family and nice pictures.

eta

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

eta

Quoted:

Wife is happy

Daughter is happy

The family will survive.

No shit!  I will bet his next thread will be how much he suffered filling 300 gallons of diesel for his yacht!

Poor, poor pitiful me

These young girls won't let me be

Lord have mercy on me

Woe is me.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Holy shit
View Quote

And you could have spent $1000 on the pictures and bought a SR-15, or an NRA Life Membership and a BCM Recce with the difference.

Ho Lee Fuk
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Something to think about...

If the photographer was a true Professional, studio location, employees, business license, pro equipment, pro lab services, etc... and not some weekend Walley or Debbie Digital.... "I bought this profeussional camera and now i can take profeussional snap shots. Six months ago I couldn't spell photographer now I are one.  I can see the money the OP paid was worth it capturing the moment in time that the professional photographer captured of his daughter.

Points to ponder;
I was in the profession of selling pro equipment to photographers in the Southeast US and beyond from the late 70's to 2010...Large format to medium format to 35mm, manual focus to autofocus medium format, film to scanning film to digital capture...I saw all of those transitions in the industry. I'm out but my wife is still in as a shooter.  So I may bit a bit biased or bitter.

I learned from the pro photographer that a customer will pay what you charge them.  

A wedding photographer capturing a one time event is much like a sniper taking a cold bore shot on a bad guy...they each only get one shot/chance to get it right.  That's why a pro-photographer gets paid the "big" bucks...they always produce.  Not like a weekend Wally who shoots a couple thousand shots and gets a few good ones...sprays & prays  A pro photographer only shoots what counts and makes them count.

In the film days you had to call your shots because processing & printing from film cost $$$.  So you had to make each shot count.  Typical medium format cameras were 10, 12 or at best 16 shots per roll double that if you shot the longer rolls of film.  Again you had to make each shot count.  

Now days a memory card in a full frame 35mm format at best resolution will store a few hundred images...so you can spray & pray but you spend time (=$$$) editing all those images.

Okay I'm really biased.
My wife is a pro shooter with a extensive background shooting people from former Presidents, Astronauts, music people, CEO's, Senators, Mayors, professional people, kids, weddings and even high school seniors.  And she is very good at what she does however in my opinion she is too busy because she doesn't charge more $$$...ie charge an amount that gives her more time to spend with fewer customers.  Then she could spend quality time capturing "that moment" in a family members special time (wedding, beach house trip, high school senior). Then create a special piece of art that all of the family can share to remember that moment in time.

TL;DR
Its the Indian not the arrow,
its the shooter not the gun,
its the eye of the photographer not the brand of the camera,
You get what you pay for...

7mm
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Fuuuuck...I mean it's your, er your wife's money but still.  I think 10 years ago we paid less than 1/10th of that, maybe even less than a 1/100th.  

And i went to a high school FULL of rich kids..
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#31]
For my pics, my parents thought the ones done by the company the school uses were crappy and overpriced, so we just took my cap & gown down to J.C. Penny's. They turned out fine. Then again, I've never really thought much of my image anyways.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#32]
3-day right of recision?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#33]
$3,400 for some photos for your daughter? Woopty-doo.

My daughter loved taking French classes so much in high school that I flew her to Paris for some of her senior pictures.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just spent $960.00 on my daughters senior pictures,and i thought that was alot of money!!  
View Quote

No.  You are Poor.  

I spend more on senior pics than you earn in a Month.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#35]
The pragmatic side says that was money better spent elsewhere.
The other side of me thinks it is not so bad. You are capturing images of your daughter in her youthful prime. Giving her something to show her grandchildren who she used to be at their age.  Young. Healthy.  The world before her.  She's only there once.  It is an important thing for girls. They know that time is rarely kind to them and we live in an age where we can literally capture moments in time.

It is important to have a reminder of young innocent days.  Were I in your position,  I'd have done the same.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Obviously the OP is pretty well fucking off.  I mean, "regular" people who don't make the kind of money he makes won't understand why his wife spent that much money on senior pics. You wanna know why she spent that much? Because they can. That's it.

I am curios, though, OP, how much do you make a year? A million plus?? Please indulge this poor bastard who only makes $85,000 working one job and a small side gig. Humor me ya rich bastard!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#37]
For my Senior pictures, my mom bought a $15 package through the school.  The school's photography teacher walked me outside to a couple trees behind the school and took some pictures.     Hell, I thought that was too much...
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Lmao!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Pics loading for anyone else?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:29:14 AM EDT
[#40]
WTF!?!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Pics loading for anyone else?
View Quote

He was blind the whole time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
She is only 17
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So where the fuck are the pics?

She is only 17

And?

We're not asking for nude pics, man.  There's nothing creepy about sharing graduation pictures of a high school senior.

But hey, it's your daughter.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#43]
This is a very well disguised "Look how much money I have" thread.

Well done.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:39:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Begging for attention, aren't ya?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The day they were out, the cook was in the kitchen.   We have a cook prepare meals four days each week. It frees up time to do other things.

Begging for attention, aren't ya?

Jealous much?

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Four hours for the shoot

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
pro photographer here, can you just tell me his pitch? I must be dong something seriously wrong.

Four hours for the shoot

You and your wife need your head's examined.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The pragmatic side says that was money better spent elsewhere.
The other side of me thinks it is not so bad. You are capturing images of your daughter in her youthful prime. Giving her something to show her grandchildren who she used to be at their age.  Young. Healthy.  The world before her.  She's only there once.  It is an important thing for girls. They know that time is rarely kind to them and we live in an age where we can literally capture moments in time.

It is important to have a reminder of young innocent days.  Were I in your position,  I'd have done the same.
View Quote

At this time next year, she will be 15 pounds heavier after her freshman year of college and will have a lot of baggage that she earned the hard way in guys dorm rooms and frat houses.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:55:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Something to think about...

"I bought this profeussional camera and now i can take profeussional snap shots. Six months ago I couldn't spell photographer now I are one.

View Quote

Hey, that's me!

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:56:59 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Wat?
View Quote

What wat?

Which witch?

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top