Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
My standard contributions to the recurring PBT thread in GD:

I do not trust other people's large breed dogs.  I should not be expected to, and it is too much to ask of me.
I should not be expected to "know" your dog's temperament, nor how to handle your dog.  It isn't my dog.

I have no issues with any breed or individual dog.  They are animals, and will instinctively act as an animal, or they will act as they have been trained.
I DO have a problem with reckless and irresponsible owners. If you cannot contain and control your dog, you should not own that dog.

If you do not contain and control your dog, it is YOUR fault if someone is harmed by your dog, and it is your fault if someone harms your dog.
You should be held financially and criminally liable for the harm and injury that your dog causes.

If your unrestrained dog makes any aggressive moves towards my family, it will be put down.  If it comes onto my property, it will be put down.  It is too much to expect that I should seek you out and provide you an opportunity to address the issue.  We have had two children mauled in our small community over time (both Chows that were trained to be aggressive.)  My son will not be the third.

I do not believe that any particular breed should be eradicated, nor do I believe that ownership should be restricted.  I believe in freedom, and I believe in personal responsibility. You have the freedom to own the animal. You have the responsibility to contain it.  You also have the responsibility for its actions if you fail to contain it, and you bear the responsibility for the harm that may come to the dog once you force others to deal with your unrestrained dog.

Calling it the way I see it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was a kid, I saw a pit bull nearly maul to death a little black kid on a street in my grandmother's neighborhood. My brother and I watched it happen with my mom. There was blood everywhere in the street afterwards, it made me scared of dogs for a good while. I was like 6 or 7 years old. I still remember the screaming and the ambulance. Isolated incident, I know.

Sorry to here you had to see that.

So was the owner of the pit an upstanding member of society who took training his dog seriously?

What difference would that make?  We're talking about the deadly mauling of a child here.

A kid finds a gun and shoots himself. Would any of us blame the gun? No. We would blame the shit bag who did not keep control of his property. Same rules apply.

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt120/TheByrdeShow/GIFs/NOOOOOOO.gif

Not the same thing.

Why? You have a potentially deadly thing. It is your responsibility to control it. I've done everything I can to make sure my dog is not aggressive. I do not buy the "he suddenly snapped" shtick.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry I'm laughing my ass off here.. Just a few short years ago, the "dog of evil" was the german shepherd.....

Anyway I think I'll just leave this here

and say that I'm dog less right now because I want a larger dog and I don't feel right about adopting a dog until I at least have a yard to let him out in. But when I decide its time to adopt a Pitt is not out of the picture at all

Edit: Iderp won't let me embed

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why? You have a potentially deadly thing. It is your responsibility to control it. I've done everything I can to make sure my dog is not aggressive. I do not buy the "he suddenly snapped" shtick.
View Quote

You don't think an animal is different than an inanimate tool? OK  That's fine. I'm done.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Part of the problem is that it is a poorly defined breed.  To be honest, I'm not sure there is a Pit Bull breed any more.  Here is my Red Nosed "Pit Bull" when she found me years ago, the most docile animal I have ever known.

You tell me, is this a Pit Bull?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/geneevans/Hazel71107008.jpg

View Quote

And then you have people that think red nose and blue are breeds instead of colors.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]

I hate all pitbulls, and related breeds BTW...
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You don't think an animal is different than an inanimate tool? OK  That's fine. I'm done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they are different. The responsibility and the potential consequences when you do not respect what you have are the same.

I blame drunks for drunk driving.

I blame criminals for gun violence.

I blame parents for shitty little kids.

I blame bad owners for aggressive dogs.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

massive you are a huge retard fail. firearms are inanimate objects.
View Quote
Some of the above.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:59:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A breed that comprises 6% of the dog population is responsible for over 60% of the most serious attacks.

But, pit bulls are not alone.  Rottweilers, mastiff-types, chows and husky/wolf-mixes tend to round out the list when looking at serious attacks.

While some may say it's "nurture, not nature" that's at the root of these attacks, the husky/wolf-mix incidents are a strong indication to the contrary.  Statistics indicate genetic predispositions to certain behaviors.

"But my dog has never, and would never attack someone who didn't deserve it."  

One datum point isn't indicative of the whole picture.  There are a number of Arfcommers who have run with the bulls in Pamplona, others who BASE jump, others how free solo rock climbs - all of these members can make an argument that these activities are reasonably safe when undertaken by a knowledgeable person.  However, none would make an argument that these activities are perfectly safe - because we know that there are some things beyond our control - but the consequences almost always befall the participant, rather than a bystander.

With dog attacks, serious dog attacks, it's often a bystander who bears the consequences.
View Quote

The genetic predispositions of Pits do not lead them to be violent, it leads them to strive to be what their owner wants them to be. If you spend time around pits, you'll quickly find that there are few dogs that want to please their people as much as pits do.

Shithead owner= Shithead pit

Good owner= amazing dog

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:59:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I could really get on board with this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fine with the breed as long as the owners are held liable for the damage done during attacks both civilly and criminally.

I could really get on board with this.

Yup that is a great idea
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Dogs reflect their owners..............
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#12]
No. Seen a few that went demon possessed...do not trust them, doesn't matter who the owner is, it's the breed that is at fault here imo. Just like a friend who owned one said, "They are a ticking time bomb".
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:50:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Check their about page.

They're almost as legit as the Brady Campaign.  Almost.

Still, 25.  In a year (roughly doubled compared to other estimates, but never mind).  Out of millions of dogs?  Come on.  You're more likely to have a Glock kaboom on you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to this google search, pits were responsible for 25 of the 32 dog related fatalities in the US in 2013.  I don't know if the source is legit or not. Seems anti-pit.

Dem stats

Check their about page.

They're almost as legit as the Brady Campaign.  Almost.

Still, 25.  In a year (roughly doubled compared to other estimates, but never mind).  Out of millions of dogs?  Come on.  You're more likely to have a Glock kaboom on you.

Incidentally, that webpage is also skewing the numbers. Only 13 of those were actual "pit bulls". The other half were mixed breed dogs supposedly having pit bull somewhere in the mix. Those 12 properly belong under the mutt category, but to obtain the scary statistic they want, they disregard the fact that they're mutts and lump them in with the rest.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:14:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, it wasn't.   It was breed for bull baiting.

One of the key characteristics of the breed was an absolute no aggression towards humans.    FWIW they make lousy guard dogs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The breeding of gamey terriers with bull catching breeds in an effort to come up with a more capable fighting breed of dog. What do I win?
Fighting what? It certainly wasn't other dogs.  

Yes it was. The American Pit Bull Terrier was breed to fight other dogs. AMStaffs arguably were breed to catch animals but APBTs were breed for fighting, hence the "pit" part of the name. This is Piitbull 101 type discussion.

No, it wasn't.   It was breed for bull baiting.

One of the key characteristics of the breed was an absolute no aggression towards humans.    FWIW they make lousy guard dogs.

You are mistaking AMStaffs for APBTs. Quit getting your breed history off of Wikipedia. You are correct though in that for dog fighting purposes, they were not to show aggression towards humans. This trait appears to have been lost.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Did OP just go full retard?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:16:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
massive you are a huge retard fail. firearms are inanimate objects.
View Quote

If you are going to be a prick at least use proper grammar and punctuation.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No surprise that people in GD are CLUELESS.    

The APBT comes from breeding old English terriers and bulldogs to get a dog better at Bull baiting. Hence the term pit (where the bull was tied) and bull (the animal it was intended to immobilize)

No wonder you people have the wrong idea, you don't know what you're talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The breeding of gamey terriers with bull catching breeds in an effort to come up with a more capable fighting breed of dog. What do I win?

Yes it was. The American Pit Bull Terrier was breed to fight other dogs. AMStaffs arguably were breed to catch animals but APBTs were breed for fighting, hence the "pit" part of the name. This is Piitbull 101 type discussion.

The APBT comes from breeding old English terriers and bulldogs to get a dog better at Bull baiting. Hence the term pit (where the bull was tied) and bull (the animal it was intended to immobilize)

No wonder you people have the wrong idea, you don't know what you're talking about.

You need to study the breed's history a little more. You are mistaking AMStaffs for APBTs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One u totally control.

The other is under no control and breed to be vicious.

It's that simple.

Every time a cop shoots one I do a little dance of Joy...
View Quote

I'd do a dance of joy if you fell in a shallow fucking ditch.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You need to study the breed's history a little more. You are mistaking AMStaffs for APBTs. My knowledge of the breed did not come from Wikipedia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to study the breed's history a little more. You are mistaking AMStaffs for APBTs. My knowledge of the breed did not come from Wikipedia.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:59:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Put bulls have earned the reputation.

For decades they have mauled children at a higher rate than any other breed. This dog is used to fight other dogs .
Take a drive through any ghetto and most trash has pit bulls- it's a ghetto trash status symbol.
Insurance companies have a very short list of breeds that raise your home owner policy rates, pit bulls are the worst .

Talk to LEO in any area.

And for all of you people that say my pit child mauler has never hurt anyone , good for you . consider yourself lucky ...it's apparent you have kept a watchful eye and kept your animal in a controlled environment .  This is the only way you have been lucky it's not an accident.

I'm not a pussy , I don't need a mean spirited killer to make me look cool.

I love nearly all dogs except pits and chows.

I have witnessed the horror first hand. A pit ( aka good family dog ) turned on a child ( unlucky to have come for a visit ). Never gave a sign of that behavior before.

I have owned and raised many family members. All of our dogs are treated better than most people treat their children. Live inside , eat good food , get exercise with our kids - I stick to breeds that don't maul people.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:16:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Gameness = Genetic
Body type = Genetic
Violence = Not genetic

I do not believe pit bulls are genetically predisposed to be violent, but they are genetically predisposed to have drive, game, and strong body type. Violence is usually a lack of training and/or bad training.

The puppy that nips and isn't corrected turns into the dog that bites on and won't let go.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:16:13 AM EDT
[#22]
The 1st page of this thread was hilarious.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#23]
My baby eater as my mom refers to him. Achilles the wonder dog!

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I do not trust other people's large breed dogs.  I should not be expected to, and it is too much to ask of me.
I should not be expected to "know" your dog's temperament, nor how to handle your dog.  It isn't my dog.

I have no issues with any breed or individual dog.  They are animals, and will instinctively act as an animal, or they will act as they have been trained.
I DO have a problem with reckless and irresponsible owners. If you cannot contain and control your dog, you should not own that dog.

If you do not contain and control your dog, it is YOUR fault if someone is harmed by your dog, and it is your fault if someone harms your dog.
You should be held financially and criminally liable for the harm and injury that your dog causes.

If your unrestrained dog makes any aggressive moves towards my family, it will be put down.  If it comes onto my property, it will be put down.  It is too much to expect that I should seek you out and provide you an opportunity to address the issue.  We have had two children mauled in our small community over time (both Chows that were trained to be aggressive.)  My son will not be the third.

I do not believe that any particular breed should be eradicated, nor do I believe that ownership should be restricted.  I believe in freedom, and I believe in personal responsibility. You have the freedom to own the animal. You have the responsibility to contain it.  You also have the responsibility for its actions if you fail to contain it, and you bear the responsibility for the harm that may come to the dog once you force others to deal with your unrestrained dog.

View Quote

Good post.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gameness = Genetic
Body type = Genetic
Violence = Not genetic

I do not believe pit bulls are genetically predisposed to be violent, but they are genetically predisposed to have drive, game, and strong body type. Violence is usually a lack of training and/or bad training.

The puppy that nips and isn't corrected turns into the dog that bites on and won't let go.
View Quote

And that is it exactly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Dogs are dogs, every few years the world goes through the phase of which breed is the worse. Right now it is "pitbulls."

Soon another breed will pop up and give the tards something new to freak out over for a few years.
View Quote
I remember when the German Shepard was the devil.

Then the Doberman.

Then the Rottweiler.

Now the Pitt.

I also remember reading (a few yrs ago somewhere) that Dalmatians are generally high strung, and prone acting up. But since they ride on firetrucks, I guess that gives them a pass.

Yes, some dogs will attack. Hell, when I was a little kid I got bit by a weiner dog that my family owned!

A lot of jackasses who either want to look 'tough' or are criminal shitbags get these types of dogs, and want/make them mean.

Rather than putting the dog down, I think the owners should be put down. You know, for the children. This would solve a lot of problems.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Control your dog and the breed shouldn't matter.

Don't control your dog and the both of you should be punished.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

FUCK YES ANOTHER PITBULL THREAD!

http://troll.me/images/dj-crazy-dog/dj-crazy-dog.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
With so many anti-pitbull threads i came to the conclusion that there are alot of ignorant hypocrites on this website. For example, i see people complaining about pitbulls, about how they are ALL bad and they should all be put down because they are an "aggressive breed". The irony is that you guys are quick to defend your gun rights and gun owners as soon as another shooting happens. With some of your mentalities, like pitbulls for example, you think all gun owners are bad people because of the select few nutjobs that snap and go on shooting sprees. Some of you should speak on CNN, seeing as you fit right in because you "facts" are based on opinion rather than experiences. Good day.

Cool story bro

Edit. Some pictures of my horribly aggressive pitbull. It's funny, i recently went to a dog show and as all the other dogs growled and barked at him almost getting away from their owners, he just sat there and did nothing. So whos got the aggressive dog again?
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/ZEROTHOMAS/Mobile%20Uploads/655BAFA0-52DC-41B1-8AB3-9B0FC5B40B8E_zpsavzudqgc.png
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/ZEROTHOMAS/Mobile%20Uploads/E347645D-3057-4A8C-88AD-E03B43F07484_zpsnca0o1yu.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/ZEROTHOMAS/Mobile%20Uploads/BE919A5C-CE95-400E-8B86-029912236841_zpsidisrpb5.jpg
View Quote

You post shit like this is gd and then act like a whiny fucking baby when people don't agree with what you think.

Take a break from the interwebs and grab some fresh air.

For the record you comparison between a living, breathing, thinking animal and a firearm is beyond stupid.

Enjoy the rest of your day and grab some onion dip for that huge chip on your shoulder.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why are you so hung up on what insurance companies care about? Insurance companies charge more for red cars too, are they actually worse or is it the driver?  Your car insurance goes down drastically when you turn 25, does that mean 24 year olds are reckless and two days later they're responsible?

I get the point you're making but I wouldn't take what insurance companies do to heart.

Plus your stats are just that, stats. Skewed by well, lots of stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pit bulls are to Arfcom and the media as AK47s and AR15s are to liberals and the media. I'm more worried about those Sig Schnauzers, personally.

While schnauzers do have a higher fatality rate per serious attack than pit bulls - if pit bulls didn't present a non-trivial liability, then insurers wouldn't be adjusting their premiums accordingly, or excluding the breed all together.

For the record, insurers don't seem to be concerned with schnauzers.
Why are you so hung up on what insurance companies care about? Insurance companies charge more for red cars too, are they actually worse or is it the driver?  Your car insurance goes down drastically when you turn 25, does that mean 24 year olds are reckless and two days later they're responsible?

I get the point you're making but I wouldn't take what insurance companies do to heart.

Plus your stats are just that, stats. Skewed by well, lots of stuff.

The OP flatly stated that the argument against pit bulls is purely emotional - devoid of facts.

Being non-breed specific may cost State Farm $30,000,000 a year in additional settlements.  I wouldn't mind sitting in on the meeting where somebody brings this up, and others explain the business case for the status quo.  Is it an acceptable cost for expanded market share?  Is it that they simply inflate premiums for any dog to offset costs, where other insurers have a functional relationship?  Or, is it that other insurance companies are mistaken in the statistics?

And, it's worth noting that I am not singling out pit bulls.  There are a number of breeds that stand out in the severe attack statistics, notably the Chow, Huskies and Wolf-mixes.  To chalk up the inordinate number of pit bull attacks to "gangster owners" appears to run counter to the Chow, Husky, Wolf-hybrid attack rates.  I think we can generally agree that these breeds aren't your typical gangster bling.  The statistics point to breed specific patterns.

As a percent of population, the Chow is the most dangerous dog out there.  And, I don't think I'm going to get a lot of pushback on this assertion.  First, because there aren't as many Chow owners to chime in with individual datum points to the contrary.  And, because Chow owners can't point to "thug life" skewing the statistics.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#31]
My Pug can beat all your pit bulls asses. He's bred to take down lions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Man I love seeing people in GD who get it.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
You need to study the breed's history a little more. You are mistaking AMStaffs for APBTs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No I am not.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Page 1 really let Paul put his super Admin powers to the test!!

GD never fails to make me lol
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Gameness = Genetic

Body type = Genetic

Violence = Not genetic

View Quote
YES!!!!

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My baby eater as my mom refers to him. Achilles the wonder dog!
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r112/SearcherforTruth/Asher/100_2268-1.jpg
View Quote

Dem jorts tho.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Okay Shannon, but how about some hard numbers instead of your motherly gut instinct?

How many deaths by pitbull vs number of pit bulls are there?

How many deaths by golden retriever vs number of golden retrievers are there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would safely bet that they kill or seriously maim a lot more than goldens.

Okay Shannon, but how about some hard numbers instead of your motherly gut instinct?

How many deaths by pitbull vs number of pit bulls are there?

How many deaths by golden retriever vs number of golden retrievers are there?

I don't have numbers specifically for last year, but from 1982-2012/13, this is a decent accounting:

[note: I've only listed the Golden Retriever in 2 categories]

Ranked by Incidents of Serious Bodily Harm:
Pit bull 2792
Rottweiler 514
Pit bull-mix 191
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 105
German shepherd 102
Wolf hybrid 85
Husky 79
Akita 68
Boxer 62
Chow 58
German shepherd-mix 43
Doberman 18

Ranked by Deaths:
Pit bull 263
Rottweiler 81
Husky 25
Wolf hybrid 19
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 15
German shepherd 15
Pit bull-mix 12
Akita 8
Boxer 7
Chow 7
German shepherd-mix 7
Doberman 7
Golden Retriever 2

Ranked by Bodily Harm divided by Dog Category as % of Total Dog Population:
(these numbers are somewhat meaningless, but useful in this context and for ranking:
the numbers are relative, meaning that severe Pit Bull attacks are roughly 10x more
prevalent than severe attacks by Boxers, when normalized for population)
Wolf hybrid DIV/0!
Pit bull-mix DIV/0!
German shepherd-mix DIV/0!
Chow 644444
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 525000
Husky 112857
Pit bull 46533
Rottweiler 25700
Akita 6800
German shepherd 4857
Boxer 4429
Doberman 1286

Ranked by Death divided by Dog Category as % of Total Dog Population:
(these numbers are somewhat meaningless, but useful in this context and for ranking)
Wolf hybrid DIV/0!
Pit bull-mix DIV/0!
German shepherd-mix DIV/0!
Chow 77778
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 75000
Husky 35714
Pit bull 4383
Rottweiler 4050
Akita 800
German shepherd 714
Boxer 500
Doberman 500
Golden Retriever 133

Ranked by Death to Mauling Ratio:
Husky 1.04
Doberman 0.70
Wolf hybrid 0.39
Rottweiler 0.28
German shepherd-mix 0.25
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 0.25
Boxer 0.24
German shepherd 0.24
Chow 0.18
Akita 0.16
Pit bull 0.16
Pit bull-mix 0.12

Ranked by Adult/Child Attack Ratio:
Wolf hybrid 0.07
Husky 0.10
German shepherd-mix 0.43
Chow 0.46
Rottweiler 0.47
German shepherd 0.48
Akita 0.49
Pit bull-mix 0.60
Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 0.93
Pit bull 0.94
Doberman 1.00
Boxer 1.11
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#38]
All I know is if I ever see a stray pit, I will more than likely shoot it - especially if my family is around.  I have no problems with people owning pits, but they damn sure better keep them locked up.  This is one of the reasons I carry.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

For decades they have mauled children at a higher rate than any other breed.
View Quote

While pit bulls are responsible for more total child maulings, they do not do so at a higher rate.

That honor goes to the Wolf-hybrid and Husky ... by a factor of 10 when compared to the Pit Bull.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And that is it exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gameness = Genetic
Body type = Genetic
Violence = Not genetic

And that is it exactly.

No, it's not. Pitts violent tendancies have been bred into them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
All I know is if I ever see a stray pit, I will more than likely shoot it - especially if my family is around.  I have no problems with people owning pits, but they damn sure better keep them locked up.  This is one of the reasons I carry.
View Quote

Settle the fuck down cowboy. Shooting a dog simply because its a stray is beyond idiotic.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

While pit bulls are responsible for more total child maulings, they do not do so at a higher rate.

That honor goes to the Wolf-hybrid and Husky ... by a factor of 10 when compared to the Pit Bull.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how many tards have wolf-hybrids .... not many, compaired to pittards
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am no fan of pit bulls, but there is no way I'm drawing and firing in front of my family unless they are in actual danger. If the dog isn't attacking or aggressive, neither am I.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't think pit bulls are bad because they are aggressive. I think they are bad because if they do get aggressive their size an power will fuck you up. They also are more prone to lock on and not let go, vs just bite and run.

In short - keep control of your potentially dangerous dog. Just like you don't sweep me with your muzzle and tell me to "relax, it's not loaded", you don't lose control of you dog and tell me to "relax, he don't bite".
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#45]
I want a pit bull now
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just it.  Huskies, and the like, are not typically associated with malicious owners.  Furthermore, it is extraordinarily unlikely that these owners and breeders are teaching these dogs to attack children - only to turn their backs and leave these child-killer-trained dogs with their children.

But, Huskies, and such, attack children at an astonishingly disproportionate rate.

It's genetic.  It's nature overriding nurture.

This isn't to say that this is a common outcome with the breed, but if someone has this breed, they need to understand the risks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#47]
i own a pit mix.  

Even though he's the friendliest dog ever I keep him close to me on the leash so he doesn't freak out non-dog people. He loves to meet everyone and sometimes forgets his manners and tries to rear up on you and give your face a kiss. I know most dog lovers don't mind this but it can really freak out someone who's not use to large dogs or buys into the "all pits are bad"  so I keep him from doing so unless a person has specifically expressed interest on meeting and petting my dog.

I find this as common sense and being respectful to others by keeping my dog under control. Also minimized the chance i'll have some GD gun ho douche bag try to shoot my dog.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Look at him, plotting...

(My mom made him a dog friendly birthday cake one year)
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Pitbull  & Rottweiler owning inky here just checking in before the inevitable shit show/nuking of the thread.
View Quote

Does one tattoo make me an inky?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
SUDDENLY SNAP BRO  

goldens give you fair warning and send a certified letter before they bite a kids face off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem isn't that pits are aggressive all the time - it's that the sweet dog suddenly snaps and kills a child or amputee veteran.
Can't remember the last time a golden retriever did that.

You think gold retrievers haven't killed people?

SUDDENLY SNAP BRO  

goldens give you fair warning and send a certified letter before they bite a kids face off.

Actually it was Dobermans that were supposed to snap and go crazy.  The prevailing theory was the narrow skull pinched the brain causing behavioral problems.  Of course this was back in the eighties when they were the scary breed people wanted to ban.  
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top