BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Arfcoms new obsession with rating countries good betterer or bestestest in geopolitical alliances is fucking ridiculous and juvenile.

View Quote

I think it's pretty much human nature to rate things good, better, best. Everyone wants to know where everyone else stands.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure it's a tossup between Canada and Britain.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Arfcoms new obsession with rating countries good betterer or bestestest in geopolitical alliances is fucking ridiculous and juvenile.
View Quote

IMO, the intent of these threads is to encourage anti Israeli sentiment.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Israel will do what's best for Israel.  I have enormous respect for that.  When Netanyahu talks about protecting the people, he means it.  I wish we had a man at our helm with the same conviction.  We're allies as long as we have similar goals.  We should have similar goals.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Israel is for Israel and will sell out the US if it works in Israel's interest.  Does OP realize how much spying and lobbying they do here?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turn off the news.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nonsense.

I think that one of the leading Conservative voices in the country making the claim that Israel is our closest ally warrants discussion among conservatives.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Israel needs the USA more than we need them.
That being said it's the only nation in the Middle East that's not run like it's 200 B.C.
And maybe even all of the African Continent or the other neo Asiatic Muslim nations.
And there are millions of people in this country including myself that would make quite a showing if some President actually gave real thought of throwing Israel to the figurative wolves.

We can count on Israel pretty much if both nations interests are aligned for that sphere of the world.
But maybe it's just my older generation thinking here but I believe we can count on the Brits to do the right thing with us more than most.
That's my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think it's pretty much human nature to rate things good, better, best. Everyone wants to know where everyone else stands.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

comparing apples oranges and potatoes and then asking what the best BBQ place is.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

comparing apples oranges and potatoes and then asking what the best BBQ place is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Israel will do what's best for Israel. I have enormous respect for that.  When Netanyahu talks about protecting the people, he means it.  I wish we had a man at our helm with the same conviction.  We're allies as long as we have similar goals.  We should have similar goals.
View Quote

Agreed. Israel is a good democracy surrounded by savages and mad men. I support them 110% but I'm not naive enough to consider them a close ally. They will support us when it's in their best interest, much like we do them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Not even close.  I would not even call them an ally in the traditional sense.  We are tied to them for largely domestic political reasons, and actually gain very little from them.....they on the other hand gain much from us. It is more of a parasitic relationship like many of our ME allies.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Is Israel our closest ally?
View Quote

Haha, no!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It was never about the Cold War.  Your argument might make sense if we were talking about Turkey.

IMO, the Western world still needs another generation of self-flagellation and guilt for the Shoah.

Regardless of what justifications and rationalization are raised, the civilized West needs more penitence to erase the horrifying stain on modern civilization that the Holocaust represents.  Sure, it reared its head in Germany, but who is to say the same couldn't have happened somewhere else, given similar economic circumstances and a charismatic leader?  Anyone who believes so is fundamentally ignorant of human nature.  

Israel may not be the perfect vehicle for that, but it's the best we got.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

lol - That's stupid! Of course they're are closest ally!

or

lol - That's stupid! They aren't an our closest ally at all!

I'm European and therefore, by definition, anti-Semitic - so take a guess.  

Actually, I think the US is an Israeli ally, but Israel is not a US ally, so it's a very one-sided "alliance"

But I am okay with that. Israel should be supported.

Why?

Now that the Cold War is over, they serve no purpose.

It was never about the Cold War.  Your argument might make sense if we were talking about Turkey.

IMO, the Western world still needs another generation of self-flagellation and guilt for the Shoah.

Regardless of what justifications and rationalization are raised, the civilized West needs more penitence to erase the horrifying stain on modern civilization that the Holocaust represents.  Sure, it reared its head in Germany, but who is to say the same couldn't have happened somewhere else, given similar economic circumstances and a charismatic leader?  Anyone who believes so is fundamentally ignorant of human nature.  

I empathize for the Jews who suffered the Holocaust but I sure as fuck don't feel any guilt.   Fuck.   That.

I probably had an ancestor who owned slaves.  At that point in time, family of mine in Georgia were of some means.   You know what?   Same story.  I feel empathy for victims but no guilt whatsoever for the deeds of the perpetrators.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Great Britain and Canada
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

So is that like white guilt but different?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#21]
No.  They're not our best ally.  Our intelligence services cooperate, and they buy some weapons from us (with our money), but beyond that, they're out for themselves.  How often do we catch the Aussies or the Canadians spying on us or selling our technology to China?  And how many times have Israeli soldiers fought alongside ours?  The answer to both questions is never.  I don't blame the Israelis for their conduct against the Palestinians - it's a zero-sum conflict - but I don't buy the Zionist propaganda about Israeli purity that passes for insight in America, and I certainly don't get a thrill up my leg at the thought of them smiting the Arabs.  Their fight isn't ours except insofar as we interject ourselves into it.  We don't gain as much from our special relationship as it costs us, either.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's generalized western civilization guilt.  

We have basically EVERYTHING ELSE to feel good about and brag about, but that one stain should give us pause.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have basically EVERYTHING ELSE to feel good about and brag about, but that one stain should give us pause.

The perpetrators are long dead and buried.  Brave men and women in your home country suffered at their hands to protect fleeing Jews and help them escape to England and Sweden.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel we repaid whatever share of that guilt we had by firebombing the german civilians repeatedly
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'd say Canada, Australia or England
View Quote

And.

All hail the Anglosphere.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not even close.  I would not even call them an ally in the traditional sense.  We are tied to them for largely domestic political reasons, and actually gain very little from them.....they on the other hand gain much from us. It is more of a parasitic relationship like many of our ME allies.
View Quote

This. Those fuckers spy and have sold us out before.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

And.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know what the Hell for! How many people died destroying The Nazis?

If The West should feel bad about anything then it should feel bad for turning over half of Europe to the goddamn Russians after WWII.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Canada, Limeys, Australia, and Poland.

I'm almost sure that from time to time there is a Canadian general at the helm in NORAD right here in the good old USA.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So should the killing of literally millions of non-Jews during that period.  This myopic obsession or concentration with the suffering of Jews is a bit tiring honestly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That being said it's the only nation in the Middle East that's not run like it's 200 B.C.
And maybe even all of the African Continent or the other neo Asiatic Muslim nations.
And there are millions of people in this country including myself that would make quite a showing if some President actually gave real thought of throwing Israel to the figurative wolves.

We can count on Israel pretty much if both nations interests are aligned for that sphere of the world.
But maybe it's just my older generation thinking here but I believe we can count on the Brits to do the right thing with us more than most.
That's my opinion.
View Quote

You can insert any country we are allied with in there, and the statement is still true.
the main reason I think this new "rating" trend is silly.

Ffs the definition of alliance is a pact to secure common interest.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure that I would classify the Holocaust as the "one" stain that should give pause to the West?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#33]
We got your hat.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm not sure that I would classify the Holocaust as the "one" stain that should give pause to the West?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never forget... Neanderthalis...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.

Anglo-sphere or bust.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It was a great start.

But I feel that the guarantee of the Jewish state of Israel should be a western (mostly European) obligation for the next hundred years or so.  Or maybe thousand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel we repaid whatever share of that guilt we had by firebombing the german civilians

It was a great start.

But I feel that the guarantee of the Jewish state of Israel should be a western (mostly European) obligation for the next hundred years or so.  Or maybe thousand.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, shall we go through the long list of countries that want to see Israel wiped off the map, that the US has and continues to give money to?
The entire leadership of the EU has been tapped by the nsa.
We'd sell out the Brits tech (lol) to Australia in a heartbeat if it were in our best interest to.

Point being, we do what's best for us first, and what's best for everyone else second. As it should be.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Did the US join the war in 1941 for the purpose of saving the Jews?

I'm not saying the US should be primarily responsible.  I believe Europe should be primarily responsible for protecting Israel - but I am happy to see the US carry that burden.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If The West should feel bad about anything then it should feel bad for turning over half of Europe to the goddamn Russians after WWII.

I'm not saying the US should be primarily responsible.  I believe Europe should be primarily responsible for protecting Israel - but I am happy to see the US carry that burden.  

Um... what percentage of blame do you think the USA carries for the holocaust, exactly?

NM.  I mistook you.   At least, I hope I did.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Lol no
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, we did agree that the primary focus of the war should be to defeat the Nazis, when what brought us into the war in the first place was a Japanese attack. And we kept quiet about having to re-conquer the Pacific, pretty much single handed.

I'm just saying.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, and add the Poles. They really want a US base there
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not in the world, but definitely in the region.
View Quote

This ^

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

lol - That's stupid! Of course they're are closest ally!

or

lol - That's stupid! They aren't an our closest ally at all!

I'm European and therefore, by definition, anti-Semitic - so take a guess.  

Actually, I think the US is an Israeli ally, but Israel is not a US ally, so it's a very one-sided "alliance"

But I am okay with that. Israel should be supported.

Why?

Now that the Cold War is over, they serve no purpose.

I understand your answer and Euro guilt, yet if that is your argument... then they should have been given a state carved out of Germany, not the Middle East.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More like generalized Germany's hat guilt...

Religious nuttjobbery seems to be the reason the Israel first crowd has so much steam in the US. Not out of some repressed, mass guilt or culture specific psychological disorder.

The lesson that should be taken away from the Holocaust is that genocide and oppression demands action, regardless of who the victim is. Not that we some how owe "the Jews" as if Israel represents the complete Jewish diaspora.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're going to need a much longer Internet post if you're going to condemn western civilization on past transgressions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Not that my opinion means a fuckstain in the world, but I think we, the US, should gladly take on the role of protecting the Jews in Israel from certain genocide by the arabs & Muslims, even if it may be politically burdensome to do so.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You can insert any country we are allied with in there, and the statement is still true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my opinion.

In all things military what country has more common interest with us than Canada?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I were single and we put a base in Poland, I'd join the Army tomorrow if they could guarantee me a post there.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top