Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 6:18:37 PM EDT
I came home from work to find my property not in the same state I left it. My bucket I keep wood soaking in next to my smoker was knocked over and my propane grill was moved a couple feet and the igniter cable was disconnected. This happened between the time I left after lunch (I cooked a steak on the grill) and when I got home. The only thing I can think would do this is a bear. I think he came right after I left but got a surprise when he licked a hot grill and took off. What should be my next course of action?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a twink, bears love twinks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not that kind of bear, at least what I am assuming after googling that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Are you in Grizzly country?
Or just pesky black bears?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Licking the hot grill may have taught it a lesson. Ouch.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Are you in Grizzly country?
Or just pesky black bears?

View Quote

Both, but griz are transient moving between Glacier and Yellowstone so I would almost guarantee it is a black bear. Also, I an only a couple of miles from town so I doubt a griz would come through here as it isn't a good corridor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Cheap game camera.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder....

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Potential solution?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bahahahahahahaha.  My new step brother is a bear, he has a twink.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cheap game camera.
View Quote

Good idea.  I don't own one currently though as they are illegal equipment when used in conjunction with hunting. If it is a bear I have a feeling he will come back.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Did he get your picinic basket?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#13]
You don't say.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Your only choice is to take the cooking grate off the grill, take it inside and clean it immediately after each use.  Wife's younger brother had a brand new Grillmaster destroyed by a large black bear that wanted the grate after they had grilled out one evening.  Of course that brother also learned about leaving out the turkey fryer with the oil still in it, too.  The bear got the fryer pot stuck on its head as it was going after the used cooking oil and nearly destroyed the deck and everything on it before he found the steps and left.

They never did get the fryer pot back and I imagine that bear had one helluva case of the runs as that peanut oil worked its way through him.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Your only choice is to take the cooking grate off the grill, take it inside and clean it immediately after each use.  Wife's younger brother had a brand new Grillmaster destroyed by a large black bear that wanted the grate after they had grilled out one evening.  Of course that brother also learned about leaving out the turkey fryer with the oil still in it, too.  The bear got the fryer pot stuck on its head as it was going after the used cooking oil and nearly destroyed the deck and everything on it before he found the steps and left.

They never did get the fryer pot back and I imagine that bear had one helluva case of the runs as that peanut oil worked its way through him.
View Quote

My grill is absolute filthy and I also have a charcoal smoker next to it that is well seasoned. I suspect it was going after the drippings pan on the smoker when it knocked over the bucket and for some reason it moved over to the grill when it licked the bottom, disconnecting the igniter and getting a surprise from it being hot. If it was cool I suspect it would have tore the grill up. Yeah, FWP says clean your grills but that is a huge PITA. Hopefully I can haze this thing out of here without having to shoot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top