BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In all seriousness, any lower of standards and there wouldn't be any standards other than "Showed up - Check".
View Quote

We call that "NYPD".
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's fucking clown shoes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<<<SNIPPED>>>
+ hangover

I thought that was implied.

If I can figure out an an Illinois Agility Run is I might try that at 7:00 am on Saturday just for kicks.

ETA Oh my various gods, really?

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/images/illinois.gif

Holy shit. I thought it'd at least be climbing through a window, crawling through a 2 foot high opening at ground level, jumping over a table/counter, and jumping over a 4 foot fence.

Jebus.

That's fucking clown shoes.

I'm sorry, I don't believe I'm quite familiar with that phrase.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll try to translate.

*cough*

Amateur hour.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a cop and I workout everyday. Bad food being lazy makes you put on pounds quick. Just 30 minutes a day can make a huge difference.what a lot of guys forget is we get older criminals will be of all ages. Gotta stay fit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am s cop and I workout everyday. Bad food being lazy makes you put on pounds quick. Just 30 minutes a day can make a huge difference.what a lot of guys forget is we get older criminals will be of all ages. Gotta stay fit.
View Quote

Dafuq's an s cop? Is that anything like an s-corp?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel safer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'll try to translate.

*cough*

Amateur hour.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll try to translate.

*cough*

Amateur hour.

Fair enough. I was just trying to it within what I thought PA's testing standards are.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/department_of_justice_declares_math_to_be_racist/

The U.S. Justice Department has found that the math portion of the Virginia Beach Police Department’s entrance exam discriminates against black and Hispanic applicants.
View Quote

If you buy 8 jelly donuts, 2 sourcream donuts and 4 Long Johns and each Police Officer eats 2 donuts; how many Police Officers can you feed donuts to?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:41:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I thought we had that already?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want a police force comprised solely of male roid ragers.

I thought we had that already?

We do... and they have cargo pockets.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:42:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lower the bar? In many places the bar can't get much lower. ..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time to lower the bar.

Liberals will demand that paraplegics be accepted into the SEALs within the next 10 years.

Lower the bar? In many places the bar can't get much lower. ..

In some places, they'd have to dig it up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:55:35 AM EDT
[#12]
"Your department's MRAP has a carrying capacity of 3 tons. Officers
John, Demarqus, Shontavius and Raul weigh two hundred and fifty pounds
each. They each carry twelve pounds of gear. How much carrying capacity
is left over for pastries, doughnuts and other baked goods that must be
transported to the policeman's ball?"

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#13]
But but but, women are equal.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:01:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Even better would be to glue the 100 question application test to a 20x12 piece of 2" steel plate. Give one to every one and put them on a 1 mile obstacle course. Gotta carry that thing the whole way. Deduct a half a point every minute
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is so weak.....

You should have to pass a physical standard to be selected.

You should have to maintain a basic fitness level to keep the job.

Scale it by age but getting hired and never doing another push-up, sit-up or run is ridiculous.

Don't scale it by age, some sports are anti scaled by age. look at pro cycling, the best guys are in their LATE 20's or mid 30's. while the younger guys are behind.
simply say "ok on X day we will be letting 100 candidates take the written test. if you want a shot at the job, get your background check packet in by XYZ date, if you get approved you will get a letter to meet at XYZ place in running gear at 8 am".
Guy with bullhorn shows up, and at 8:01 he says, "OK well there are 500 of you, there are 100 paper tests at X location that is 1.5 miles away, you need to be the top 20% of the runners to get a paper test, GO".

Background checks are racist though so my idea is a flop.

Even better would be to glue the 100 question application test to a 20x12 piece of 2" steel plate. Give one to every one and put them on a 1 mile obstacle course. Gotta carry that thing the whole way. Deduct a half a point every minute

I'm shit at math but that plate weighs as much as most females.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:09:01 AM EDT
[#15]
So the feds are going to set up a course for fatty scooter riders to pass
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:13:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Now if this was required for a job doing office work i can see it being a issue.
View Quote

As many hours as we spend writing reports, it essentially already is
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:15:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Well....tell it to the hoods who do nothing but work out and play ball all day why you are soft and weak.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well....tell it to the hoods who do nothing but work out and play ball all day why you are soft and weak.
View Quote

I have a feeling that those who couldn't pass wouldn't be dealing with them much anyway. They usually tended to land inside positions within a year of being hired.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:20:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Lol
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:23:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have a feeling that those who couldn't pass wouldn't be dealing with them much anyway. They usually tended to land inside positions within a year of being hired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.  Buy some people might screw up and actually police. And sometimes when you police you might screw up and actually have to work. Like actual work!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Serious question for the cops in the thread: If you start to notice one of your officers is too out of shape to be effective, what can you do about it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

True. Buy some people might screw up and actually police. And sometimes when you police you might screw up and actually have to work. Like actual work!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. Buy some people might screw up and actually police. And sometimes when you police you might screw up and actually have to work. Like actual work!

We had people who made avoiding work into an art form.  They worked in laziness the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was their true medium; masters.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:26:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Serious question for the cops in the thread: If you start to notice one of your officers is too out of shape to be effective, what can you do about it?
View Quote

Nothing where I worked.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:26:35 AM EDT
[#24]

It's literally the warm up exercise that they do in pewee soccer for 3-5 year olds.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:26:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

17.48 mile and a half?

Oh dear lord.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is absolute bullshit. This is also a disgrace to the 71% of women who busted their ass and prepared themselves physically to pass the exam. I REALLY REALLY hope they fight this and win.

Edit:
This is really messed up, their standards are incredibly low compared to MANY agencies out there. If you can't meet these requirements you have no place in law enforcement regardless of sex.

Taken from the PA State Police website

Test Applicant Standards
Vertical Jump 14 inches, 3 Attempts
Illinois Agility Run 23.5 Seconds, 2 Attempts
300-Meter Run 77 Seconds
Push Ups 13 Repetitions (no time limit)
1.5 Mile Run 17 Minutes and 48 Seconds

17.48 mile and a half?

Oh dear lord.

To make it more interesting, applicants should have to run the first 300M of the 1.5 mile in 77 seconds, then limp through the balance of the run in what's left of the 17:48
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Because you need more cops like this...

Sorry, they gotta be at least in better shape than ME to wear a uniform and be part of the "special protected class of society".

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:28:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We had people who made avoiding work into an art form.  They worked in laziness the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was their true medium; masters.
View Quote

I really can't hate a master of the skate.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:28:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing.
What do you expect the average line officer to do?
Define "effective". Even an overweight officer can show up on calls and take a report, work accident scenes and do pretty much anything the job entails.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:33:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, that's reassuring. I guess I grew up in a town where even the bigger boys could hustle. I get that not many cops wearing 35 pounds of shit are going to run down a 145 pound kid in basketball shorts and Nikes, but damn. The job can be a physical one. Some semblance of physical fitness should be required.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:35:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like UPS distribution hubs.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:58:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Don't worry, it's happening in EMS and the fire service too.  The population keeps getting fatter yet we're still expected to move patients and rescue people.  Part of the "solution" is powered stretchers, which sounds great on paper until you have to lift the damn thing with your fatass patient- powered stretchers tend to weigh more than non-powered stretchers thus adding to the total amount of weight you have to move.  That's not to say all of the women are weaker, sometimes quite the opposite is true as there are also a lot of males who shouldn't be doing the job too.  By and large though the males will end up doing most of the heavy lifting or getting hurt themselves as weaker partners lose control of the load or cause it to shift.  Accordingly the number of workman's comp claims will continue to climb as employees get hurt by these sorts of policies.  One of the things that actually lowers worker's comp claims, and thus government costs, is to have a fit staff.  Needless to say I don't see those costs going down in the future as we strive to make everyone a special snowflake and respect their personal best.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:21:18 AM EDT
[#32]
We had 2 female officers here who lost their day shifts because they couldn't pass the mile run time limits. They were bumped to 3rd shift. Both quit the force.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Absolutely nothing; at least on the federal side. If they meet the agency standards, no matter how obese they become...they are within those standards. Although, I think that is the same regardless of what career you are in (assuming they have a PT standard). I place the blame on garbage agency/department standards which allowed these types of people to get hired to begin with.

Quoted:
We had 2 female officers here who lost their day shifts because they couldn't pass the mile run time limits. They were bumped to 3rd shift. Both quit the force.

This is why I love Texas, at least there was some negative repercussion.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I place the blame on garbage agency/department standards which allowed these types of people to get hired to begin with.
View Quote

Standards are racist.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

FPNI.

Compromise public safety for PC. Makes sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FFS

FPNI.

Compromise public safety for PC. Makes sense.

Become a crook.

Runaway from police.

Profit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This is absolute bullshit. This is also a disgrace to the 71% of women who busted their ass and prepared themselves physically to pass the exam. I REALLY REALLY hope they fight this and win.

Edit:
This is really messed up, their standards are incredibly low compared to MANY agencies out there. If you can't meet these requirements you have no place in law enforcement regardless of sex.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Edit:

Test Applicant Standards
Vertical Jump 14 inches, 3 Attempts
Illinois Agility Run 23.5 Seconds, 2 Attempts
300-Meter Run 77 Seconds
Push Ups 13 Repetitions (no time limit)
1.5 Mile Run 17 Minutes and 48 Seconds

You expect someone to be able to run 12 minute miles AND do THIRTEEN push ups? GTFO

Those standards are lower than we had in 3rd grade gym class, seriously.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Meh, they only take reports anyway.
View Quote

Obviously that's all you did.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*whoosh*
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nothing where I worked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing where I worked.

Just because you were a shit-bird doesn't mean every other cop and department abides by your shit-bird-edness.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Just because you were a shit-bird doesn't mean every other cop and department abides by your shit-bird-edness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing where I worked.

Has nothing to do with his question. He asked what could be done and the answer for my PD was/is nothing.
Feeling a little crabby today?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Has nothing to do with his question. He asked what could be done and the answer for my PD was/is nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing where I worked.

Nope. Just tired of you pretending to be a ex/cop and acting like you know a damn thing. Crabby though, nope....
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just tired of you pretending to be a ex/cop and acting like you know a damn thing.
View Quote

I'm verified by Site Staff, you on the other hand.......
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If I can figure out an an Illinois Agility Run is I might try that at 7:00 am on Saturday just for kicks.

ETA Oh my various gods, really?

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/images/illinois.gif

View Quote

Holy shit.  

Yeah, I'm totally out of shape and I could do that test.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just tired of you pretending to be a ex/cop and acting like you know a damn thing.

Well then, your obvious hatred for peace officers leaves you in a league of your own then. Well done.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#45]
You must have been a transit cop or something similar.... I understand your angst...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Well then, your obvious hatred for peace officers leaves you in a league of your own then. Well done.
View Quote

Answering a member's question honestly is hatred? I guess the other verified LEO who answered the same way about his own department hates peace officers too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Out in the T where there are no local PD, the PA Staties are real police.

My brother has responded to a number of "real" incidents over 20 years, including two bank robberies ending in gunfights.

At the Philly barracks, you're right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Out in the T where there are no local PD, the PA Staties are real police.

My brother has responded to a number of "real" incidents over 20 years, including two bank robberies ending in gunfights.

At the Philly barracks, you're right.

I live (and grew up) out in the T, the town I grew up had State Police coverage after the single town cop retired in the late '80s, they moved the barracks almost in town a couple years before so the response times actually went up pretty dramatically, even though the town wasn't exactly a hotbed of crime in the time that the Troopers were covering it until I left for college they had 2 high speed chases, a bank robbery, a murder investigation and then your normal small town random crime. When I was in college I got to watch a PSP SWAT team take down a house by the numbers.

Just last year a Trooper was seriously wounded in a multi-agency standoff/gunfight a county over from where I live now. State Police in PA aren't just interstate ticket writers by a long shot.

Having said all that, those standards hardly seem onerous to me, hell I'm 42 and could pass that without too much of a problem...so I'm not really seeing the problem with them except for the fact people want standards for just about everything lowered in the name of "fairness."

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Answering a member's question honestly is hatred? I guess the other verified LEO who answered the same way about his own department hates peace officers too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watch your posts... It's apparent on just about every thread you post in. You must have been fired....
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

*whoosh*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*whoosh*

lol
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I watch your posts... It's apparent on just about every thread you post in. You must have been fired....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next time, look up. Maybe you'll see it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top