Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 7/29/2014 3:05:00 PM EDT
About once a week my wife and I go to the river where people tube, where we fish and swim.

NEVER fails at least half want to paddle over and touch my dog, from young kids to seniors, they just can't seem to leave him alone.
It's one thing to say that he's good looking, or "cute" as they float by, but really what posseses them to try and pet an animal they know nothing about?.
He's a good guy, and not aggressive towards folks unless we tell him to be, but these idiots just think it's fine to come over and try to touch him.
I've had people get mad when they purposly come over to touch him and I tell them he might bite, then they get angry and have the audacity to say I shouldn't bring a mean dog to the river.

I mean really, if you saw this guy walking down the street you wouldn't run over to pet him, but these morons leave their common sense at the shore (or beer filled ice chest).

Pics of the evil child slobbering monster...

Him ignoring a Kayaker

120 pounds of dork, but yeah, let's paddle over and slap him on the head (hey what could go wrong?).

And yes, I mentioned wife, so here's a pic of her and dawg...

It's not easy mauling all those kids (the ride home)...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That appears to be one blood thirsty killer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll admit sometimes I forget to ask people and just put my hand nearby for the dog to sniff and then pet him/her.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Same here. People love to try to grab and pet my Mal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to be honest with you buddy.  If you are taking an unleashed dog to the river that might bite people seems a bit foolish.

edit spelling
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]
PITBULL THREAD

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]
She seems to be handling your pole well.

I mean, uh, nice doggie.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are taking an unleashed dog to the river that might bite people seems a bite foolish.
View Quote

Hmmm, maybe I should make sure YOU never go out as you MIGHT have the ability to kill someone!

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Some people LOVE dogs.

Take it as a compliment, just warn folks he might be grumpy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a weird looking Pit Bull...

...but it's DEFINITELY a Pit Bull.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hmmm, maybe I should make sure YOU never go out as you MIGHT have the ability to kill someone!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If you are taking an unleashed dog to the river that might bite people seems a bite foolish.

Relax francis. He is right. If your not 100% certain your dog wont nip some one keep him on a leash. Does AZ have leash laws?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
About once a week my wife and I go to the river where people tube, where we fish and swim.

NEVER fails at least half want to paddle over and touch my dog, from young kids to seniors, they just can't seem to leave him alone.
It's one thing to say that he's good looking, or "cute" as they float by, but really what posseses them to try and pet an animal they know nothing about?.
He's a good guy, and not aggressive towards folks unless we tell him to be, but these idiots just think it's fine to come over and try to touch him.
I've had people get mad when they purposly come over to touch him and I tell them he might bite, then they get angry and have the audacity to say I shouldn't bring a mean dog to the river.

I mean really, if you saw this guy walking down the street you wouldn't run over to pet him, but these morons leave their common sense at the shore (or beer filled ice chest).

Pics of the evil child slobbering monster...

Him ignoring a Kayaker
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/Gunslinger8O8/grryak.jpg

120 pounds of dork, but yeah, let's paddle over and slap him on the head (hey what could go wrong?).
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/Gunslinger8O8/grrrriver.jpg

And yes, I mentioned wife, so here's a pic of her and dawg...
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/Gunslinger8O8/anngrr.jpg

It's not easy mauling all those kids (the ride home)...
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/Gunslinger8O8/grrrride.jpg
View Quote

Some of you are the most anti-social people on the planet. For the record I wouldn't pet your dog
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Relax francis. He is right. If your not 100% certain your dog wont nip some one keep him on a leash. Does AZ have leash laws?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, leash it if you're not sure if your dog wont bite!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Goddamned people touch my dog.

In public!

Then they put their finger on my side of the car!!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks exactly like one of my parents dogs

We think he has some great dane in him....not sure but he's a big boy
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of stupid people think ALL dogs should be breed for a good temperament my GF included.  Bot of my dogs bite.  That's their job!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Do the police ever patrol that river?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#17]
People always ask me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A lot of stupid people think ALL dogs should be breed for a good temperament my GF included.  Bot of my dogs bite.  That's their job!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#19]
That is not a Pitbull so there is no way it could ever bite/mual/kill anyone or anything.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#20]
When meeting a new dog I just put my hand out and leave it to the dog to decide what to do. If they want an ear scratch, great. If not, then I don't bother them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. You are on public land. Bottom line if he bites your ass is responsible.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#22]
No one is 100% sure their dog won't bite FYI. It's a dog. Mine has never bitten anyone and generally likes people, has never ever snarled at a human. (2 yr old black lab)

When I take her out (often, both leashed and unleashed when I can) I tell people to stay away from her if I don't know them.

"Please don't touch her."

"Oh is she dangerous?!"/ "Oh does she bite?!"

"No, I don't think so."

""

"Have a good day."

It's just not worth the trouble, especially if they have kids.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#23]

OP, maybe it's best you keep your dog at home?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Let me clarify (for those that didn't read my whole post).
This dog has NEVER bitten ANYONE unless told to do so.
Every dog, just like a person has the ability to maim or kill, especially when approached by a stranger in an aggressive way.

The key word here is "might", pretty broad word.
In this enviorment which is out in the middle of no where (not a Disney Land ride) anything can happen, and people have become belligerent and evil tempered toward us in the past.
I take a firearm to the river also, does this mean since I "might" have to use it I should be banned from going there as well?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Every dog, just like a person has the ability to maim or kill, especially when approached by a stranger in an aggressive way.

In this enviorment which is out in the middle of no where (not a Disney Land ride) anything can happen, and people have become belligerent and evil tempered toward us in the past.
I take a firearm to the river also, does this mean since I "might" have to use it I should be banned from going there as well?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you bring your trained attack dog out in public, don't leash him, and complain when people approach?  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#26]
So you bring your trained attack dog out in public, don't leash him, and complain when people approach?
View Quote

Yers, that's it!
i just can't wait for people to get close so I can sic him on them!
The body count is horrendous, and the carnage draws the fish, please report me now!

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yers, that's it!
The body count is horrendous, and the carnage draws the fish, please report me now!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yers, that's it!

You stated that your dog has not bit anyone unless commanded to do so.  Was that true or false?

Why not muzzle your dog when out in public?  People might understand a bit more clearly that they should not approach.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have to be honest with you buddy.  If you are taking an unleashed dog to the river that might bite people seems a bit foolish.  

edit spelling
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#29]
You're not disabled are you?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Sometimes when I go out people try to talk with me. It makes me mad !!

One time this guy tried to touch my hand with his hand  !! WTF ???

When I go out in public the last thing I want to do is have to talk with people and be social. I am not very good at it and I would rather just hit them.

WTF is wrong with people? I hate people !!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#32]
You are probably one of those people that take your dog into crowds and festivals aren't you? If you don't want people to ask to pet your dog, then don't take it where people are. I can't stand it when people think that their fucking dog is superior to people, kids, etc. It's always someone else's fault when some jackasses dog bites a kid. It isn't your baby, it is your pet... a fucking animal!!! Keep it on a damn leash. Get over it and yourself!  

I have come to believe that dog fanatics are some of the most anti social, self righteous people I have ever met.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#33]
You stated that your dog has not bit anyone unless commanded to do so. Was that true or false?
View Quote

Sarcasm, can ye smell it?
Yes he will bite on command (and fetch too FWIW).
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
You stated that your dog has not bit anyone unless commanded to do so. Was that true or false?

So your dog bites on command?

Is that sarcasm too?

Clear it up.

You know what?  It doesn't matter.  You dont trust your own dog yet still bring him out in public unleashed and unmuzzled.  Be a responsible pet owner for Christs sake.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#35]
If you don't want people to ask to pet your dog, then don't take it where people are.
View Quote

Asking would be cool, these folks just want to come up and pet a dog they don't know.
Really, next time you see a strange dog, please go up to it and try to pet it.
It's not like they have to go right next to him, these folks go out of their way to try and get to him.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#36]
You have no control over what people will or will not do.

You do have control over where you take your dog.

If this is so upsetting, leave the dog home.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

edit spelling
View Quote

+1
Why bring the dog to a public place if you can't trust him in public?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
She seems to be handling your pole well.

I mean, uh, nice doggie.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh my, the horror, it must be unbearable.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Even worse is when people let their dogs run loose - and their dog comes running up to my leashed dogs.  They usually laugh and say something like "oh don't mind him, he's a sweetheart"

Maybe so, but my dogs can be super protective (our Aussie/Heeler mix) or just stupid (JRT) and letting your dog charge up to us is going to start a fight.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#41]
You know what? It doesn't matter. You dont trust your own dog yet still bring him out in public unleashed and unmuzzled. Be a responsible pet owner for Christs sake.
View Quote

Yes he will bite on command (clear enough?).
I trust my dawg, I trust him off the leash, I trust him to protect us.
YOU seem to be the one with a problem having a dog that you need to yank around on a leash.
You'd rather be angry with me for having a dog that protects me and my wife, has NEVER bitten anyone without the order, and does in fact walk away from strangers.

The whole point to my thread was why do people feel the need to approach animals they know nothing about.
Project much?

ETA:
Even worse is when people let their dogs run loose - and their dog comes running up to my leashed dogs.
View Quote

He knows better than that also, when faced with a strange animal (other dog or whatever) he will come to my or my wife's side.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I love dogs and they love me.  I tend to greet a dog before I do the owner, probably because I know I'll like the dog better.  Also, why should I ask the owner if I can pet the dog when the dog is perfectly capable of deciding for himself if he wants me to pet him or not?

All that crap being said, I rarely approach people I don't know even when their dog signifies they're ok, which unfortunately means I don't get to pet the dog.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

YOU seem to be the one with a problem having a dog that you need to yank around on a leash.
You'd rather be angry with me for having a dog that protects me and my wife, has NEVER bitten anyone without the order, and does in fact walk away from strangers.

The whole point to my thread was why do people feel the need to approach animals they know nothing about.
Project much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You know what? It doesn't matter. You dont trust your own dog yet still bring him out in public unleashed and unmuzzled. Be a responsible pet owner for Christs sake.

Project much?

Never bitten anyone without the order?

So is that sarcasm or not?

People approach your dog because they don't know better.

You know better yet still don't leash or muzzle your dog out in public.

What exactly am I projecting?  My dogs are on a leash when out in public and have never bitten or attempted to bite anyone.  I also don't approach other peoples snowflakes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#44]
People like dogs. Does that answer your thread. People like to pet dogs, does that answer the point of your thread. Jesus, it is really not that complicated.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Make an thread about dump people with your dog while being one of those people yourself. OP wins somesort of prize there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Whatever, that's a good looking pooch, and apparently a good companion.  Honestly happy for you.  If I saw him, I'd ask to pet him.  
"Is he friendly?  May I?"  If no, I move along, no hard feelings.  Our last dog got pretty grumpy as a senior, but tremendously loving to folks she knew.  Enjoy your dag.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#47]
I feel you.  

People are always wanting to pet my akita (he's fluffy, and he's a very good example of an american akita....would be show quality if his temperament was right for showing well....which it's not), which I usually don't have an issue with......but.......shit....come and ask me before you drop your hands on a dog that can tear you up PDQ.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Also, why should I ask the owner if I can pet the dog when the dog is perfectly capable of deciding for himself if he wants me to pet him or not?
View Quote

The owner decides, not the dog, why would you feel comfortable coming up to ANY unknown animal?
Respect, it goes a long way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The owner decides, not the dog, why would you feel comfortable coming up to ANY unknown animal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Also, why should I ask the owner if I can pet the dog when the dog is perfectly capable of deciding for himself if he wants me to pet him or not?

Not only that, but dogs key off their owner.  Not asking the owner can be a huge no-no especially with some breeds.  Akitas like to see a handshake, or other proper indication of acceptance by their master before they are comfortable being touched......

If it's not yours, don't touch it without permission.  The dog isn't legally allowed to choose, and it's not legally responsible for it's actions......I am.  Ask ME.

Yes, I've publicly scolded people for running up to my dog and petting him w/o asking, or even getting a non-spoken "yes" with eye-contact.....he doesn't like it, and contrary to what a few people have posted.....most people are completely in the dark about how a dog feels about it.  Mine doesn't like it.  Puts him on edge if people come up to him without my OK.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I always make eye contact with whoever the dog seems to "belong" to, ask if I can approach, and approach slowly (but not creepily) with one hand extended and the fingers lightly curled under, making sure to get my hand below the dogs nose (even if I have to kneel). I let the dog sniff first. They will right away let you know if it's OK to proceed, if you need to back off, or you need to run the fuck away.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top