Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Winchester model 52
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Do not consider the Sig 522, unless you intend to use an optic on it.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The Marlin 39A in its presafety configuration is quite a rifle. The 10-22 is not a bad gun as long has you don't weigh it down with a heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have no 10/22, you need at least 1 10/22 to muck with.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Something is wrong with the rifle or shooter then. They're MUCH more accurate than that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh on 10/22.

Strongly considering shit canning mine.

Thing can't hold 4MOA at 25yds.

Something is wrong with the rifle or shooter then. They're MUCH more accurate than that.

Stock 10/22s are 3-4 MOA guns. Best groups I've gotten at 25 yds are around an inch with Tech Sights. I could probably do better with a scope.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That is the correct answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't mind a Marlin 39A.

That is the correct answer.

Don't get a new one
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Look at a Henry .22 lever action. I have the Octagon barreled model. I love shooting CB shorts through it in my backyard, very quiet
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Rifle, No. 2 Mk. IV*.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Look at a Henry .22 lever action. I have the Octagon barreled model. I love shooting CB shorts through it in my backyard, very quiet
View Quote

My dad has one of those.  Super fun to shoot, and I love the weight of it.  It doesn't feel like other .22 rifles, feels very solid.  I just hate reloading the tube.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My dad has one of those.  Super fun to shoot, and I love the weight of it.  It doesn't feel like other .22 rifles, feels very solid.  I just hate reloading the tube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the tube is a pain in the ass. Small price to pay for how fun it is though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Remington nylon 66
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#12]
The Henry is a lot of fun to shoot, for sure. What about the CZ 455 with the interchangeable barrels so you can shoot .22mag and .17?  

Also heard really good things about the Soviet rimfire as pictured previously.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This or get a basic 10/22 and upgrade it.  I had a lot of fun swapping out parts on my 10/22.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
M&P 15-22

Good times

This or get a basic 10/22 and upgrade it.  I had a lot of fun swapping out parts on my 10/22.

This.  In addition to the aftermarket support there are plenty of DIY mods that will greatly improve the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

I have always lusted for one of those Brownings
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I do notice you need a precision .22. Perhaps a Soviet CM-2 to get your toe in the water.

http://oi49.tinypic.com/25alpxu.jpg
View Quote
I was going to suggest the same.  I have one for me and one for my daughter.  Buy it even if has a cracked wrist, that is pretty easy to fix.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#16]
One of the most accurate .22's I have is a Mossberg Model 702 semi-auto that I bought last year for $109 new. Damn thing shoots like a laser.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Can't go wrong with the Marlin 39A. Here are some others that should be on the short list of any .22 collector/enthusiast:

Winchester 52 of some flavor
Ruger 77/22, not for its accuracy but more for its feel/operation
10/22, just because everybody's doing it
Marlin 25N, simple and straightforward
Win 94/22
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
currently have the following:

Savage Mark II
1931 Remington Model 33
2008 Marlin Model 60
CZ 452 Training Rifle
Romanian M1969 Training Rifle
1938 Remington Model 121
1992 Marlin Model 60
Taurus Model 63R
Ruger American Rimfire
Marlin Model 20-S slide action----haven't shot it yet, picking it up when I go home on leave

Buckmark Rifle. Sounds like you would be happy with the Sporter model.

Wouldn't mind a Marlin 39A, Winchester 72, or a 10/22
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I would love one of those as my favorite pistol to shoot is a buckmark, but I have to go with 10/22 since OP doesn't have one yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Browning Buckmark

http://i.imgur.com/VqduBq6.jpg  

I would love one of those as my favorite pistol to shoot is a buckmark, but I have to go with 10/22 since OP doesn't have one yet.

I have one of those rifles (actually my second, first was stolen) and of all my guns-even my full auto and my belt fed .22-the Buckmark Carbine is my favorite. It has a Tactical Solutions aluminum barrel which they only made 19 of, and Shepherd 3-10 power scope with a .22LR BDC in the reticle that goes to 500 yards. It's a fantastic rifle and I'll never part with it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
10/22 Takedown
Henry lever action
View Quote

My 'stainless' 10/22 takedown rusted like you wouldn't believe.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#21]
My M&P 15-22 is one of may favorites.  Its very accurate and fun to shoot.  I also like an old Browning BAR 22LR, its got a really short lever stroke and fun to shoot, accurate too.  Both these guns are set up with open sights and rarely do I go to the range that one isn't with me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Stock 10/22s are 3-4 MOA guns. Best groups I've gotten at 25 yds are around an inch with Tech Sights. I could probably do better with a scope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh on 10/22.

That's ridiculous. I shot a stock 10/22 last week that did better than 1" at 50. You guys must suck at shooting.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm going to upgrade my 10/22 with tech sights, volquartsen trigger parts, and an M1 Carbine stock. Seems like fun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Annie
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

utter fucking garbage.
Threw mine away
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The other idea, is to grab a Chiappa M4-22 Upper, and plop it on a lower.  I like the one I got my wife.

how reliable are those

I've read some horror stories about some Chiappa products

utter fucking garbage.
Threw mine away

thanks for reminding me haven't gone over to Gun Blast in quite a while.....
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I recommend you get another .22 rifle
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#27]
77/22!

One of the few .22LR rifles that is manufactured like a proper centerfire rifle instead of an upscale airgun.  You will pay though...

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#28]
If you're looking for something nice, new, and well crafted, another CZ or one of the Brownings already suggested is in order.

If you're looking for something cool and old as a neat addition to your collection, I suggest a military trainer of some flavor.

If you want something new to play with a bunch, I think this is a good time to grab a 10/22. This is the 50th anniversary, and all the 10/22s coming out of the factory are marked accordingly. Get you one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Henry.  mine shoots everything I feed it...Long, LR, short, sub-sonic....all without even a hickup
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, the tube is a pain in the ass. Small price to pay for how fun it is though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
That's ridiculous. I shot a stock 10/22 last week that did better than 1" at 50. You guys must suck at shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh on 10/22.

2MOA on a stock Ruger 10/22 is pretty darn good.  Maybe they have stepped up their barrel quality in recent years.

It's tough to shoot under 2 MOA consistently with any open sight system, but you already know this having shot the 1 MOA all day challenge.

I could barely get under 2 MOA with a Remington 512-T target rifle.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the pump. I really love it and shoot it a lot. It is way way better than 3-4MOA in my experience but I haven't shot targets to prove it.

I do not like the pot metal receiver cover especially in its stock painted form. To do it over I'd be more interested in the 39a or the 9422.

That being said, the pump action is great and I really like it over a lever for this gun. I like to tie stuff up at various elevations and distances in the back wood lot and have a little gallery fun from the back yard. Shorts are great, and I was able to get them much more easily for regular price (slightly more than what LR used to be) than LR during the height of the panic.

ETA: The tube is very easy to load. Just pop them in right side up. If you are having trouble seating the brass piece, just continuously rotate it back and forth as you are going down and it will ride over the rounds much better.

I stripped the receiver cover of paint and treated it with mustard (you can't hot blue or case color it correctly):

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Find a Mossberg 44 training rifle
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#35]
New;  M&P 15-22  (super fun to shoot and works like a AR)

Old;  Ithaca M-49   (single shot lever type that runs shorts, longs or long rifles)
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

2MOA on a stock Ruger 10/22 is pretty darn good.  Maybe they have stepped up their barrel quality in recent years.

It's tough to shoot under 2 MOA consistently with any open sight system, but you already know this having shot the 1 MOA all day challenge.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh on 10/22.

I helped a lady sight in her new 10/22. It had a 3x9 on it so it wasn't with open sights, but I have to say I was impressed. Very decent shooter. It liked federal classic. Much better than I expected from posts like the one above.

My stock 1970 10/22 will do under 1" reliably with tech sights but it is quite a challenge. That is a .5" rifle at 50 with a scope and wolf mt. Only mods are to the trigger group and bolt.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Moar 10/22 if you can find a good used one.
View Quote

Or just get a new one.....$189.99 around here.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....But truthfully, I regularly search at the local Pawn Shops for good used (metal TG) 10/22s.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, 10/22's are a lot of fun to dink with. Have go with that.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top