Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2014 11:48:13 AM EDT
Guys,

This happened to me two days ago in San Diego. I was there all day Sunday on business and saw something strange.

Sometimes I get my hair cut at this place in Horton Plaza on Broadway. (It's an indoor/outdoor mall.)

As I was leaving, I was walking over a footbridge sort of thing with lots of other people. These bridges are as wide as a staircase. Coming towards me was this tall Asian dude...dressed well, but sort of edgy. Wearing stylish jewellery, etc.

When he was less than ten feet from me, he took two large semi auto pistols out from his belt line and held them each by his side. The one in his left hand, he held by the slide, not by the pistol grip. I don't remember how he was carrying the one in his right hand.

I'm no firearms expert, but from the relatively quick glance I got, they looked real to me.

Out of the small crowd of people, only three others and I saw this. Three other people and I came to a dead stop and watched this guy. He walked right by us in an instant....and the four of us stood there and watched him walk to the other side of the walkway to access the other half of the mall.

Before he got out of sight, the Asian guy put the pistols back in his belt line under his shirt and disappeared into a store.

The others who noticed said, "woah, did you see that?" And other similar comments.

I stood there for a second and didn't know what to do. My first reaction was to follow him/speak to him, but I quickly decided against that. I'm an auxiliary police officer back home, but standing there in some mall in San Diego in sneakers, T shirt, and shorts...unarmed, it was a no go.

Believe it or not, my second reaction was to do nothing. Comic Con was in town and there were costumed people nearly everywhere. Maybe they were Airsoft guns. Maybe I'd only add to the chorus of the "Oooooh look, it's an icky gun. I don't feel safe" gun grabbers.

Everyone else who noticed the guy walked away mumbling. I started to leave the mall....but I went back in and mentioned it to a security officer I found on the lower level.  By then, the Asian guy was nowhere to be found.

What do you think you would have done?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Get my ass out of the area and inform security.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Cosplayer...

But still inform security and eject.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If he wasn't pointing the guns in a threatening manner, I would have done nothing.   Just another dude carrying a gun, or guns in this case.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cosplayer...

View Quote

My son just explained Cosplay to me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get my ass out of the area and inform security.
View Quote

Leave California OP.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
ComicCon.

Probably something from The Matrix.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If he wasn't pointing the guns in a threatening manner, I would have done nothing.   Just another dude carrying a gun, or guns in this case.

View Quote

I guess, but then it's on my conscience if the dude shoots up the Footlocker.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he didn't.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Run to the state line OP and it will be okay
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But he didn't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he didn't.

Yeah, that's true.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Why were you unarmed?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Informed security.

A guy walking around handling real guns in a public place is a threat.

A guy walking around handling fake guns in a public place is stirring shit and deserves to get hassled.

Initiating contact with someone who doesn't immediately present a threat is a job for the people who get paid to do that shit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why were you unarmed?
View Quote

I can't legally carry in California.

32 other states, yes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If someone had seen that kid walking towards the Sandy Hook school with his AR, he could just have been bringing an Airsoft gun for a fun show-and-tell.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he didn't.

Yeah, that's true.

If someone had seen that kid walking towards the Sandy Hook school with his AR, he could just have been bringing an Airsoft gun for a fun show-and-tell.  

Doubtful, since schools have a zero tolerance policy against even replica firearms.

He would have been out of place.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Auxiliary police officer fail on a grand scale. If anything that guy should be arrested for brandishing, fake or not.

When this jackoff shoots women and children in the mall try explaining to their family what you "never" reported.

This is also the exact reason these nut jobs that shoot up school and malls go unnoticed and everyones so shocked it happened. Yet afterwards people come out and say "oh ya everyone knew the guy was nuts and talked about shooting up the theater", REALLY!! And you dont take that serious?

Carry in a open holster is one thing, doing as you described is on a whole other level.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Auxiliary police officer fail on a grand scale. If anything that guy should be arrested for brandishing, fake or not.

When this jackoff shoots women and children in the mall try explaining to their family what you "never" reported.

This is also the exact reason these nut jobs that shoot up school and malls go unnoticed and everyones so shocked it happened. Yet afterwards people come out and say "oh ya everyone knew the guy was nuts and talked about shooting up the theater", REALLY!! And you dont take that serious?

Carry in a open holster is one thing, doing as you described is on a whole other level.

View Quote

I did report it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
While I agree that the Sandy Hook example is more obvious, I would argue that a man walking towards the entrance of a mall who unholsters two pistols is also pretty out of place.

It's not like the OP described someone who was open carrying, or a concealed carrier who briefly exposed his gun - but rather someone walking purposefully towards an area with lots of people, who then takes out two pistols.  
I wonder what would have happened if the OP had yelled to the other bystanders to "get him" and tackled him, and sat on him while the police were called.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By VBC

But he didn't.

Yeah, that's true.

Doubtful, since schools have a zero tolerance policy against even replica firearms.

He would have been out of place.

While I agree that the Sandy Hook example is more obvious, I would argue that a man walking towards the entrance of a mall who unholsters two pistols is also pretty out of place.

It's not like the OP described someone who was open carrying, or a concealed carrier who briefly exposed his gun - but rather someone walking purposefully towards an area with lots of people, who then takes out two pistols.  
I wonder what would have happened if the OP had yelled to the other bystanders to "get him" and tackled him, and sat on him while the police were called.  

Might have gotten his ass shot out from under him, or charged with assault.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's not like the OP described someone who was open carrying, or a concealed carrier who briefly exposed his gun - but someone walking purposefully towards an area with lots of people, and takes out two pistols.  

View Quote

Maybe he pulled them out to readjust because his carry rigs sucks.

If he wasn't giving off any clues he was up to something, it wouldn't have set-off my oh shit meter.  Him being Asian, dressed like a pimp with a determined look is not enough of a threat in my book.

If he was pointing or presenting his gun in a manner to purposely threaten or evoke fear into somebody, then yes, he's "brandishing" and should be reported.

Otherwise, he's just another guy with a gun.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

If the pistols were fake, I'd be facing assault charges. Perhaps more...depending on local laws. Civil stuff too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Informed security.  

A guy walking around handling real guns in a public place is a threat.

A guy walking around handling fake guns in a public place is stirring shit and deserves to get hassled.

Initiating contact with someone who doesn't immediately present a threat is a job for the people who get paid to do that shit.
View Quote

Even if they were fake, the guy ran a real risk by whipping them out. He could have gotten shot by LE.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Carrying is one thing.  Unholstering/drawing, in public, with no threat, is something completely different.  Plus, Mexican carry isn't what I expect rational CCWers, in public, to use.

Me?  I would have unassed the area PDQ.  If the guy was approaching me, eyeballing me, within 10-15 feet. and did that, an immediate full-on body check/tackle would have been in order.  Hit hard, hit fast, hit first.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#26]
911. How does it work?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#27]
FPNI
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#28]

How often are you casually pulling your firearm out as you walk down a crowded street?

It certainly would have raised an alarm with me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Why do you get your hair cut at a salon?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#30]
If my family want an issue I would have followed the guy... Ready to take him out. And hopefully found a cop before that happened. Sounds like a test run or chickened out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Carrying is one thing.  Unholstering/drawing, in public, with no threat, is something completely different.  Plus, Mexican carry isn't what I expect rational CCWers, in public, to use.

Me?  I would have unassed the area PDQ.  If the guy was approaching me, eyeballing me, within 10-15 feet. and did that, an immediate full-on body check/tackle would have been in order.  Hit hard, hit fast, hit first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one thing the incedent showed me was the following:

Since 2007, I've only had one hobby....firearms training. I used to have others, but such is life. I got my brother into firearms. Most of my friends are shooters....so I'm around firearms all the time.

I've often thought, because I'm around firearms all the time, would I immediately notice one if I saw one where one didn't belong? Would I react or would I, out of habit, think....."Hey, nice M&P" or "I wonder if that's a Norinco?"

I noticed those pistols immediately and saw that they were out of place.

That's all.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How often are you casually pulling your firearm out as you walk down a crowded street?

It certainly would have raised an alarm with me.
View Quote

When ComicCon is in town?  Probably every 5th person.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why do you get your hair cut at a salon?
View Quote

There's this great "urban" barber shop called Fresh Up in that mall. Good dudes. Good haircuts. I don't always understand the things they say, but I'm a 50 year old White dude from the suburbs.

When in Rome....
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Some guy pulls out guns min a mall. Draw and shoot.

Can't belive you guys shoot dags but would not drop somebody pulling out guns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Cosplayer...

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Overcoming cognitive dissonance and getting off the X is a very large psychological hurdle. We all are born (to a greater or lesser extent) with a tendency to go through the "this isn't really the threat it appears to be" when confronted with such a thing.

Occasionally playing Walter Mitty in your mind... "what would I do if that guy suddenly whipped out a MAC" is a known good way to work through it.

Don't tell anyone else, though. Normal folks'll think you're all jacked up.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Brandishing is waiving about in a threatening manner, simply holding the pistols in his hand in a non threatening manner is not brandishing, odd yes, but not brandishing.

Well dressed?  Calm?  Not acting nutty?  Not making threats?  Not brandishing?  Not behaving as if agitated?  Not doing anything other than carrying the guns that seems out of place to you (and not even carrying them in a firing grip from the way it was described)  Non threat.  Observe if you like, but as it stands: ignore.

Most likely scenarios?

1: He has doing cosplay at comiccon.
2: He was really carrying, and had to shift/reposition the guns for some reason, he was an idiot for doing it the way he did, but that's all.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If he wasn't giving off any clues he was up to something, it wouldn't have set-off my oh shit meter.  Him being Asian, dressed like a pimp with a determined look is not enough of a threat in my book.

If he was pointing or presenting his gun in a manner to purposely threaten or evoke fear into somebody, then yes, he's "brandishing" and should be reported.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not like the OP described someone who was open carrying, or a concealed carrier who briefly exposed his gun - but someone walking purposefully towards an area with lots of people, and takes out two pistols.  

This.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What do you think you would have done?
View Quote

Left.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Some guy pulls out guns min a mall. Draw and shoot.

Can't belive you guys shoot dags but would not drop somebody pulling out guns.
View Quote

Because drawing the guns from the holster in, and of it'self is not threatening, it's unusual, and bears monitoring, but it is not a threat.  Had he raised them, or otherwise set of my threat alarm with his actions yes, maybe, but just producing the pistols (and not even forming a firing grip), then re holstering while continuing to walk, and mind his own business?  No, that is not a threat, no action is required.  My assumption is it was just a carrier who had to re position (probably because he was mexican carryingg), and while he should have been more discreet it is far from threatening.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
ComicCon.

Probably something from The Matrix.
View Quote

My very first thought when reading this.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

28 other states, yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why were you unarmed?

28 other states, yes.

Well I guess this experiance just proved to you how much protection (legal) offers you in the real world.

You could have been shot to shit and then to the media you would have been one of the next poster boys for gun bans.

I would have gone on about my business. Stray bullets from mall security can kill people the same as crazy MFer bullets. I'd Guess the guy was a comiccon dildo and leave it be.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#44]
In before Zaminsky
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Not one damn thing , proved time and time again
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Guys,

When he was less than ten feet from me, he took two large semi auto pistols out from his belt line and held them each by his side.

Comic Con was in town and there were costumed people nearly everywhere.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

...tall Asian dude...
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...tall Asian dude...

I know, but I'm a frickin' elf......so height is relative.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This will be good.  

In before OCT supporters and libertarians.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I would stop bidding San Diego layovers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top