User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This here.  I've owned and modified many classic cars.  Some just beg for it, but this one should be left alone.  Get it running and enjoy the hell out of it.  I am at the point now where I would just love to have a nice, clean OG classic.  Turn the key and drive.  Not worrying about repolishing this, replating that, yada yada.  This was your grandfathers car, just enjoy it the simplicity of it.  It's a straight six, it won't take anything to get it going.  Some people are saying it has too many doors, that doesn't matter anymore.  A clean classic is all you need.

That being said....I do hate that 3 on the tree  A buddy bought a barn find '61 Impala Convertible last year.  REAL beauty.  It was the OG 283 mated to a 3 speed trans of all things.  Loved that car, hated that transmission.

Have fun with it dude.
View Quote

Well, hopefully I can start doing some work on it soon.  I really thought it was in much worse shape.  I need to hop back to the homestead to finish replacing outlets at the house, so I'm trying to come up with a plan.  I'm thinking next trip get it up on jack stands, pull the tires, get a good look at the undercarriage, drain the fuel tank, put on a missing belt, replace the battery and make sure power and lights come on.  If I've got enough time, take some of the tips here and see if it can at least start.  In a perfect world if I can get it up and going by October maybe drive it from TX to AZ or look at getting it on a truck and hauled out.  I would stomp a puppy to be able to have it by NOV for the Good Guys show here in AZ.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Well, hopefully I can start doing some work on it soon.  I really thought it was in much worse shape.  I need to hop back to the homestead to finish replacing outlets at the house, so I'm trying to come up with a plan.  I'm thinking next trip get it up on jack stands, pull the tires, get a good look at the undercarriage, drain the fuel tank, put on a missing belt, replace the battery and make sure power and lights come on.  If I've got enough time, take some of the tips here and see if it can at least start.  In a perfect world if I can get it up and going by October maybe drive it from TX to AZ or look at getting it on a truck and hauled out.  I would stomp a puppy to be able to have it by NOV for the Good Guys show here in AZ.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This here.  I've owned and modified many classic cars.  Some just beg for it, but this one should be left alone.  Get it running and enjoy the hell out of it.  I am at the point now where I would just love to have a nice, clean OG classic.  Turn the key and drive.  Not worrying about repolishing this, replating that, yada yada.  This was your grandfathers car, just enjoy it the simplicity of it.  It's a straight six, it won't take anything to get it going.  Some people are saying it has too many doors, that doesn't matter anymore.  A clean classic is all you need.

That being said....I do hate that 3 on the tree  A buddy bought a barn find '61 Impala Convertible last year.  REAL beauty.  It was the OG 283 mated to a 3 speed trans of all things.  Loved that car, hated that transmission.

Have fun with it dude.

Without going through the motor some, this would likely lead to having to have it flatbed towed anyhow.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Without going through the motor some, this would likely lead to having to have it flatbed towed anyhow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun with it dude.

Oh yeah.  Truck is the preferred way to go, but a kid can dream, can't he?  Probably didn't help that we just drove some of the Route 66 stuff on Sunday and Monday, so I've got the full blown madness.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#4]

There was a Clardy a/c shop here in Ft. Worth a long time ago. Dad had them install a/c in his '69 Chevy p/u. It blew some cold air!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Please don't change that car.  Polish her and bring
the rest up to snuff and drive her.  We didn't need
disk brakes then; they were better but we still managed
to get around just fine with the drums.  That mill's just
broken in-no engine needed.  

Drive that Biscayne all you want but just freshen it
up first;  she's a survivor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Clean car, too bad it has two many door's to make worth much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
it worth ALL of 1200.00 and DO NOT touch the dirt...
makes it  worth 26,000.00.... like one from
the
http://www.autonews.com/article/20130930/RETAIL07/130939994/lambrecht-chevy-auction-of-rare-cars-draws-$2.8-million-in-bids

I figgered I'd see if I could get it up and running and then, you know, drive it.  

Fuck loading all of your friends into a two door. In high school I inherited my grandfather's 4 door 63 Impala and my friends and I had a great time loading into it and rolling all over town
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Depends.  I've been trying to find a 1967 Impala 4-door for a week now for a decent price.  2-doors are everywhere...Not so their quad-brothers.  I'm in California, first one I found was in Texas...for $17K.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
it worth ALL of 1200.00 and DO NOT touch the dirt...
makes it  worth 26,000.00.... like one from
the
http://www.autonews.com/article/20130930/RETAIL07/130939994/lambrecht-chevy-auction-of-rare-cars-draws-$2.8-million-in-bids

I figgered I'd see if I could get it up and running and then, you know, drive it.  

Depends.  I've been trying to find a 1967 Impala 4-door for a week now for a decent price.  2-doors are everywhere...Not so their quad-brothers.  I'm in California, first one I found was in Texas...for $17K.

Quadroports are rarely desireable to most people, most people want that hot little number they lusted after at some point in their life, the one they fantasized about taking Janie Rottencrotch to the passion pit with, not the family truckster mom brought home the grocerys in.  Four doors and (gasp) wagons can be cool in their own right especially in clean survivor condition like the op's apears to be in.   Those can be fun as long as you don't try to make them what they are not, clean them up fix the front drum breaks and roll that bitch up and down the block. But please dont try to give it a flashy modern style paint job with custom wheels a $5000 stereo with a 1000 horse engine and try to pull 11:00's at the street strip event.  I mean you could for much money but that money would be better spent on booze, women and guns in any order you choose and still have coin and dignity left in the end, but if that makes you happy who am I to stand in the way. These beast are best left as cruisers or sleepers with devestaing effect.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:22:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest that clean more doors are becoming rarer then their 2 door brethren.
What gets chopped up to save 2 doors and hi po cars?
What can you not get repro parts for?

Then again I am somewhat biased, have a pretty much all original 67 Buick Special 4 door here at the house. Been in the girlfriend's family since new.
It is going to get the restomod treatment here in the near future.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:30:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#10]
That looks like a late 50's/early 60's Impala.  Brother had a 1962, pale yellow with black/yellow stripe seats.  That thing rocked!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#11]
It's a 1949 Buick Roadmaster. Straight 8. Fireball 8. Only 8,985 production models. Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway. But not on Monday, definitely not on Monday.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:11:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Really?  We've gone from safe threads to "barn find" threads now?  

View Quote

but he delivered... it makes a difference
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#13]
That could very well be my old car.  My wife bought one like it while I was deployed to the Med in 1961.  She drove it from CA to Norfolk with two small kids and this was before Interstates.  She was on the dock when we returned.  Then we drove it to Key West, FL and then to San Diego.  Traded it in on a new VW in 1964.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top