Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/27/2014 9:45:27 PM EDT
Hi, my name is Dan, and Im a beef jerky addict.

Been looking online for places to buy bulk quantities of jerky for cheap.  No such thing, apparently.  So I guess Im going to pick up a dehydrator and start making my own.

London broil seems like a popular affordable option.  Any favorite marinade recipes or tips for a beginner?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Update.  Dehydrator should be here tomorrow, according to the tracking.  Went and got everything I was missing to make the marinade, and got some whole eye round for $2.99/lb.  I'm going with this Alton Brown recipe for my first go (minus the box fan, of course).

'Nother update.  Got the meat in the marinade.  

'Nother update.  Just started 4 trays in the dehydrator.  My stomach has an erection.

'Nother update.  Done.  A little tougher than I like, but it tastes really good.  Still got more to make tomorrow, too.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Making your own is the answer.  I mix 1/2 cup soy sauce per lb of lean beef, and add lots of black pepper and onion powder (two tablespoons-ish each for about 4 lbs beef).  Marinate up to 12 hours, dehydrate.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
You mean this guy. (obscure reference to Jethro Bodins stage name) for a btt.

Put your oven on it's lowest setting, lay the meat out on the racks. put something to hold the door open a little and let it go till it is dry. Don't cook it. You don't have to get all elaborate on the seasonings either. Salt pepper and a dab of liquid smoke and marinate it for a few days in the fridge.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't need a dehydrator, but I use one - you can do it in the oven.
Good stuff Maynard....

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to do a mix of different marinades.

Basic: soy, garlic powder
Sweet: Soy, brown sugar, and honey (sticky but so good).
Hot: soy,cayenne, garlic powder

I have also put dry ranch dressing mix and grippo bbq chip powder after dehydration

Just remember to cut on the bias of the muscle for easy to eat jerky.

I have used a cheap walmart dehydrator for years with no problem.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I do mine in my smoker.  Marinade over night, lay out on racks.  Sprinkle on different seasoning such as lemon/pepper or Cajun, etc.  140d for about 8-9 hours.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Give Italian salad dressing a try as a marinade. Brand doesn't really matter. Or just make your own.

My favorite though is just salt, a lot of ground black pepper and a bit of cayenne. If you can find nice smokey paprika add that too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not somebody that likes deer meat more than beef except when it comes to jerky. Deer meat makes awesome jerky. Just about every recipe I've seen is virtually the same if you want to google some.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#8]
No Mans Land

It's fucking awesome

Do it

http://www.nmlbeefjerky.com/
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not somebody that likes deer meat more than beef except when it comes to jerky. Deer meat makes awesome jerky. Just about every recipe I've seen is virtually the same if you want to google some.
View Quote

Venison is the superior jerky. Nothing better.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Good stuff.  Im sure Ill end up trying a bunch of different recipes along the way.  The pics are making my mouth water.

Alton Brown has a good sounding marinade recipe for his "box fan beef jerky".  Ill have to find the link.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I use deer meat for most of my jerky.  It's really lean to begin with and I like to snack on my kill for a long time I like to slice it while it's still pretty much frozen. I don't have a meat slicer, so I can get it really thin this way.  

I use this stuff for spices

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Mountain-Jerky-36237-00001/dp/B0040RYFVO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1406514202&sr=8-5&keywords=beef+jerky+kit

Normally I will chop up a bunch of chili peppers from my garden and add those to it while I let it marinate it overnight.  When I use the dehydrator I make sure all the pepper pieces are stuck on the meat to make it even spicier. About 8 hours will make it tough as nails, which is how I like it.  After 5 hours I suppose it's jerky but it's a bit tender for me.  

Here is the dehydrator I use.  Sometimes my wife dehydrates green peppers for salads but mostly I just use it for jerky.  I think it's held up pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-Snackmaster-Food-Dehydrator-FD-75A/dp/B0090WOCN0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406514396&sr=8-2&keywords=dehydrator

Sometimes I'll add some Chipolte tabasco as well.  Even gone so far as to chop up those peppers that come in the little sauce for your collard greens.  Reminds me I need to make some more
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Making your own is the answer.  I mix 1/2 cup soy sauce per lb of lean beef, and add lots of black pepper and onion powder (two tablespoons-ish each for about 4 lbs beef).  Marinate up to 12 hours, dehydrate.
View Quote
Yup.

We use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce...but pretty much the same.

So much cheaper....dehydrator pays for itself pretty quickly.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Here is the dehydrator I use.  Sometimes my wife dehydrates green peppers for salads but mostly I just use it for jerky.  I think it's held up pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-Snackmaster-Food-Dehydrator-FD-75A/dp/B0090WOCN0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406514396&sr=8-2&keywords=dehydrator
View Quote

Have the same dehydrator...very good. They've about doubled in price since we bought it a few years ago. They go popular and got more expensive

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

deer is best. I just made and consumed about 8lbs two weeks ago.

Imo if you make burger jerky the dehydrator is the way to go. It cooks slower and not as likely to overdry it. If you make lean steak jerky the oven works better. It takes half the time (about 5-7 hours) and seems to do the same job as the dehydrator. Use a wooden spoon to prop the door open. You can even cook it up to 240-250 without negative results. Time is important when you have to keep an eye on something to me, less is better. I've had steak jerky dry in a dehydrator for up to 24 hours. That's way too long.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a big fan of AZ deer meat for much of anything (Elk on the other hand...), but it does make acceptable jerky (and stew).
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Ive had venison jerky and bear jerky.  Both were excellent.

Ive never been hunting.  Would like to go someday and take a deer myself and make venison everything.  But Im not a morning person.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ive never been hunting.  Would like to go someday and take a deer myself and make venison everything.  But Im not a morning person.

View Quote
They move more in the evening.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]
So in.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Box can jerky after a cold smoke is my next endeavor.  Need to kill a few extra deer this year for jerky and summer sausage.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Deer meat taste varies by what they eat in whatever part of the country they are in.
I grew up in MN and deer meat there was excellent, IMO (Mule Deer in AZ not so much) - but if you kill it it's still better than anything else...

ETA: When I'm hunting the "bitch-in-the-box" (talking alarm clock) goes off at 0230....
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Mingua Brand Cajun or Hot jerky.

Its like homemade but maybe better.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  I'd say it's 4:1 deer I've taken in late afternoon vs. around sunrise.

And don't turn it all into jerky. Venison sausage is not to be sneezed at.

I have a friend who makes venison sticks. Think a fat Slim Jim made of spicy venison.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Venison is awesome.  The best stew I ever had on this planet was off a beef stew I replaced with venison.  

Any, back on post, the best jerky is definitely what you make at home.  Nothing store-bought compares.  They have to add too much crap to keep people from getting food poisoning, which means processed.

The homemade stuff may not last as long as the stuff you get in the bags with the little chemical pouch in it, but it doesn't last me long at all anyway.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a fan of Robertson Hickory smoked beef jerky.  It is up to $37 / lb now though - too expensive now days.  Never had thought about using my smoker to make jerky, but we crank out brisket and ribs.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#28]
You really aren't saving too much by making it yourself.  My final dry weight is about 1/4 of the start weight.  So even at $4 a pound for round you are still paying $16 a pound for jerky.  If you can get the meat cheap/free then it is great.

This is my favorite jerky recipe. It is for venison but it works well with beef too.

Grandpa's Venison Jerky

Ingredients list:

• 3/4 cup soy sauce

• 1 Tbsp brown sugar

• 1 tsp liquid smoke

• 1 tsp salt

• 1/2 tsp minced garlic

• 1/2 tsp grated ginger

• 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

• 1 pound venison strips

Mix all ingredients together with the exception of the venison strips. Allow the ingredients to sit 15 minutes for flavors to blend. Add strips. Marinate at least one hour. For longer marinating sessions, place in the refrigerator in a covered container or an air-tight plastic bag. Remove from marinade and place in your dehydrator until dry.

<em style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">A special thank-you to Mary Bell for this recipe, author of "Just Jerky" ©1996[/span]

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#29]

A different way to do that, which I prefer, is to put the meat on a couple baking or cooling racks, wrap it well with paper towels, and put it on the fan. You need a few layers of the towels both lengthwise and across b/c they act as the dust filer, and they also will wick up some of the juices and help with drying. If you stack multiple racks you'll want to unwrap it and swap them out when its about half way done.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I am surprised at the number of you that use soy sauce as the base in your marinade. I much prefer watered down Worcestershire sauce and morton quick cure.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:42:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Alton Brown's Beef Jerky

Even though he uses a fan you can use a dehydrator.

I let it marinade for 3-4 days. I add in some Tabasco to give it some spice.

It's delicious, made a big batch on Friday and have been slowly eating through it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I am surprised at the number of you that use soy sauce as the base in your marinade. I much prefer watered down Worcestershire sauce and morton quick cure.
View Quote

I grew up making it with Worcestershire sauce but now it is only soy sauce.  I'm not the fond of Worcestershire any more, not sure why.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have a friend who makes venison sticks. Think a fat Slim Jim made of spicy venison.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone I know who hunts, hunts in the morning.  And since I don't know shit about hunting, I need to go with someone else.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You need to try buffalo jerky seasoned with some hickory

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to try buffalo jerky seasoned with some hickory

I'm sure I'd like it.  I've had buffalo burgers and they were delicious.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Good stuff, guys.  Keep the recipes coming.  Hopefully going to get a dehydrator this week.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the ideas

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#37]
How thick are you guys slicing your beef?

Also, what cuts are best.

This thread has me sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hungry
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use either London Broil or Flank Steak sliced about 1/4".

I like London Broil better because it seems to be leaner (if you don't use lean meat or trim all the fat the fat will turn rancid).

I made a batch about two weeks ago. My supermarket had London Broil on sale and I picked up 4 pounds for about $8.00.

When it was done it yielded almost 3 pounds.

I use a Ronco Food Dehydrator.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Top round works well, slice 3/16 of an inch.  Smoke it, don't deydrate.  I use alder wood, awesome smokey flavor.
1 cup of soy sauce, 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of brown sugar or season to taste for that terriaki, garlic salt
and I put some hot sauce in my marinade.  Marinade for a minimum of 24 hours and the leaner the meat the
longer you should marinate it.  Make sure when you rack the beef there is room between the slices, DO NOT
let the meat touch each other.  Smoke the meat with one pan of wood and then dry for the the rest of the time.
Heat should be around 155 degrees.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much this, but I like Teriyaki sauce better and I usually put in some brown sugar.

If you want to really ramp up production get a meat slicer too. I can prep about 6 lbs of venison roast in just a few minutes and have it in the fridge and soaking.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Everyone I know who hunts, hunts in the morning.  And since I don't know shit about hunting, I need to go with someone else.

View Quote

Ask 20 people get 20 answers.

They move around all day here, you just have to be patient enough to wait for one to walk by.

I don't deer hunt much anymore because it is incredibly boring. I would rather go out duck hunting and get in the action multiple times per hunt, plus get to work the dog.

I do fill my tags though, basically the first deer to walk out gets popped and tossed in the freezer, repeat until all tags are full.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#42]

For those of you that make homemade jerky............

How do you store it and how long does it keep?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

For those of you that make homemade jerky............

How do you store it and how long does it keep?
View Quote

I have had it start to mold on me in about 3 weeks before. You can portion it out and freeze it though, then just thaw a batch when you want it.

You can also brine it with a ton of salt, but then you have really salty jerky.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#44]
I made a batch a few weeks ago and used a bottle of teriyaki and half a jar of chili garlic sauce(the one made by the people that make sriracha) and some onion powder for about 4.5 lbs of meat. My only complaint is that the family ate it way too fast. Dehydrators are awesome, you can do all sorts of stuff with them. When I get the urge to make some jerky I usually also pick up some bananas and make banana chips over night the night before I make jerky while it marinades.

A lot of people use soy or teriyaki not only because they are good but because of the salt content. So if you don't go with a sauce with a high salt content make sure you get that salt in there somehow to help preserve the meat.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They move around all day here, you just have to be patient enough to wait for one to walk by.

I don't deer hunt much anymore because it is incredibly boring. I would rather go out duck hunting and get in the action multiple times per hunt, plus get to work the dog.

I do fill my tags though, basically the first deer to walk out gets popped and tossed in the freezer, repeat until all tags are full.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should have clarified; It's not because they are saying the hunting is better in the morning.  It's just because of life schedules.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Can't find any cheap london broil around here at the moment.

But I did find whole eye round for $2.99/lb.  Google says it's commonly used for jerky?  That will probably what I go with, aside from finding london broil on the cheap.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#47]
try biltong

cider vinegar
salt
coriander seeds

more or less pickled jerky
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

But I did find whole eye round for $2.99/lb.  Google says it's commonly used for jerky?  That will probably what I go with, aside from finding london broil on the cheap.

View Quote

go for it. I use what ever cut is on sale that week, sometimes it's london broil, sometimes it's round eye, sometimes it's bottom round. Round eye is probably the best. It's lean, so less trimming other than the fat cap. With bottom round you  have to split it up to get the vein of fat out.

After trimming, cut it into 2 or 3 pieces, freeze them for an hour or two (NEVER frozen solid). It'll make slicing easier.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#49]
I have never made my own Beef Jerky so I can't help you with recipes.

But I DO love the Ostrim Teriyaki Beef Jerky snacks from GNC...

Give them a try if you ever go to GNC...They are great!

http://www.gnc.com/Ostrim-Beef-Ostrich-Snack-Teriyaki/product.jsp?productId=2774110
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

You want a pretty lean cut.

If you go to the butcher and tell him what you are looking for he might have something with very little marbled fat in it. Much easier to process.

I don't know much about beef cuts since I don't eat it very often, but my favorite off the deer is usually some of the hind quarter muscle groups, all the fat is eternal so the inside is all lean.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top