BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So let me get this straight. Pilot instructed to try to land on beach. Crashes. Debris hits bystanders, and you somehow extrapolate that into intentionally aiming near people to save his own skin?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dick should have went for the water

This is my thought too.

Killing people to save your own life is fucked up when the option exists to keep innocents safe.

So let me get this straight. Pilot instructed to try to land on beach. Crashes. Debris hits bystanders, and you somehow extrapolate that into intentionally aiming near people to save his own skin?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

You sure he didn't hit them with the plane?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
hauslp mentioned that the pilot followed ditching procedure.  I would argue that ditching on a beach with people would hardly be procedure.  Also, my first two links demonstrate that it's possible to land in water and in doing so wouldn't mean certain death for the pilot/passengers on the plane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By 96ZGuyu

Both of your actual examples the plane is 13 - 25 nm over water already.  The plane was going to crash, ditching was the only option.  For the AOPA link it actually states that the beach is a good place if expected to not be covered with people, like an undeveloped beach.  There was just as much chance of swimmers or a jetskier/boater as someone on that beach.

I want you to wrap your head around this so I'll explain it to you slooowwwwlllllyyyyyyy.  

hauslp mentioned that the pilot followed ditching procedure.  I would argue that ditching on a beach with people would hardly be procedure.  Also, my first two links demonstrate that it's possible to land in water and in doing so wouldn't mean certain death for the pilot/passengers on the plane.
Want to know how I know you're not a pilot or qualified to discuss aircraft emergency procedures?  

Depending on his altitude, that pilot had very little time to select a landing site. But I suppose because your on genius level at the basement ground school, you have already plugged in all the variables to determine that he hit them on purpose.

Tell me, Mr. Smart guy, did he avoid a building with families in it? Did he miss a parking lot because he saw a lady and her toddler walking across it?

Could he have made it to ditch in the water?

I'm going with you don't know. In fact, you don't know much of anything in regard to the accident unless you were there.

I don't know a pilot that given the chance, would willfully take the life of someone on the ground in a situation like this.

Too bad you weren't in there with him to help him see the right thing to do. I'm sure your intellect alone would have saved the day with only the most excellent decisions that you are obviously capable of handing out.

Wrap your head with that.
He chose a strip of populated beAch to land.  I can safely say that was a mistake.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

He chose a strip of populated beAch to land.  I can safely say that was a mistake.

View Quote

Not sure if you have any flying experience, but when you're flying a plane without engine power, you don't have much choice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not sure if you have any flying experience, but when you're flying a plane without engine power, you don't have much choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding, it's not like he wanted to land on the beach for a picnic.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh.  He put it down pretty much on the waterline if that photo is accurate and the tide was similar.  Wouldn't have taken much effort to put it 50 yards offshore.

Contrary to popular belief, fixed gear aircraft rarely flip when ditched... and survival rates for GA ditchings are 90%+.  Being a low-wing Cherokee would've been a benefit also.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Shit happens why is this thread full of blame?  The pilot did his best land away from people as evidenced by being a feet from the water.  Landing in the shallow water would have been harder for people in the ocean to evade. It sucks that the someone died.  Did he not know there was a plane in distress, was he physically limited?  Either way, I feel bad for the pilot and think it's premature to say he made the worst decision of what little options he had.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you read the article?  He planned to land on the beach when he experienced engine trouble.  The beach was populated with people.  I can safely say that was a mistake

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Just goes to show you that when your number is up there isn't a damned thing anyone can do about it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#9]
beach guys name was  in book. it was his time . GRHS
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The pilot is responsible for that operation of the flight and if he's found negligent will be held responsible.  The idea that you guys just want pilots to fly straight into terra firma at the first sign of trouble rather than taking reasonable actions to minimize injuries and damage overall is incredible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Instructed?    

"But there's people on the beach!"

"fuck em"

Nice way to shirk responsibility.

I didn't say he intentionally aimed for people, but he intentionally landed on a beach with people on it.

The pilot is responsible for that operation of the flight and if he's found negligent will be held responsible.  The idea that you guys just want pilots to fly straight into terra firma at the first sign of trouble rather than taking reasonable actions to minimize injuries and damage overall is incredible.

Anyone flying a plane automatically forfeits their survival/well being over a person on the ground. People on the ground shouldn't give up their lives so some idiot can get his recreational high while putting other people in danger.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did you read the article?  He planned to land on the beach when he experienced engine trouble.  The beach was populated with people.  I can safely say that was a mistake  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You assume too much.   We don't know what choices the pilot really had.  He could have hit the nearby water and still killed people.  Sometimes it just sucks, and we should not be so quick to blame.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone flying a plane automatically forfeits their survival/well being over a person on the ground. People on the ground shouldn't give up their lives so some idiot can get his recreational high while putting other people in danger.

View Quote

Well that certainly is an....interesting....opinion.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is your statement, Bettendorf;

"Oh I get it. The mans life was less important than the asshole and his passenger"

Quit trying to "safely" cover your stupid ass.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shit happens why is this thread full of blame?
View Quote

Because GD knows everything better than everyone.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You assume too much.   We don't know what choices the pilot really had.  He could have hit the nearby water and still killed people.  Sometimes it just sucks, and we should not be so quick to blame.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not assuming the fact that he planned to land on the beach populated by people.  It's in the article .  That was a mistake

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#16]
According to the FAA's Airmen Database, this guy got his private pilot certificate in 1990 and his last 3rd class medical in 2008.  Assuming the information on the database is up-to-date, this guy was flying without a valid medical certificate.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#17]
This situation sucks....hard.

Guy I went to High School with was driving at 50 or so on a 55 mph County Highway. He saw a girl in the road.and hit the ditch. Flipped his car on a culvert pipe and landed in the girls yard. He was unhurt but his car was totaled. He was so happy he hadn't hit the child he told the mother that he didn't care her daughter was OK and that was what was important. Once the mother got her wits about her she realized that her son was missing.

His car was on top of the boy.

It, like the plane crash, was an accident. Stuff happens fast in a car wreck and, no doubt, a plane crash. My classmate did his best in the accident and I'm sure the pilot did too. He likely was out of airspeed to trade for altitude. There was nothing left to do but hit the ground.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
According to the FAA's Airmen Database, this guy got his private pilot certificate in 1990 and his last 3rd class medical in 2008.  Assuming the information on the database is up-to-date, this guy was flying without a valid medical certificate.
View Quote

Are you going off the name on the registration?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ok.  I'll defer to you.  I don't even have a passing understanding of how small airplanes operate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's some random shit. Wonder if the pilot had any chance to turn the plane away.

Down low and out of energy he would have likely just balled it up trying, potentially making things much worse.

Ok.  I'll defer to you.  I don't even have a passing understanding of how small airplanes operate.

A lot of GD doesn't, apparently.  It's very hard to see the ground under an airplane in decent.  (There are literally calculations to know how far and out and down one can seat depending on the plane, the pilot's position, etc.  I flew a Piper Cherokee, and did those calcs in ground school.)  Throw in an emergency situation like an engine failure and spotting a dude in your flight path from a few hundred feet up is rather difficult, especially considering that the landing zone is in a huge blind spot until the last few seconds.

The odds of this happening are pretty astronomical.  But, as John Travolta said in Pulp Fiction "It's freaky, but it happens."
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  Which I know doesn't necessarily mean he was the PIC, but there's a damn good chance.  Just wanted to do some googling
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Diane Power Peecher · Works at Loami Christian Church

I am a family member of the family in this trajedy. I would like to think the pilot had no choice. I am praying for my family and this pilot and passenger as well. Please put aside all negativity and focus some positive energy toward the family and lift them up in prayer. Thank you!

Reply · Like

· 6 · Follow Post · about an hour ago
View Quote

Let it go guys.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A lot of GD doesn't, apparently.  It's very hard to see the ground under an airplane in decent.  (There are literally calculations to know how far and out and down one can seat depending on the plane, the pilot's position, etc.  I flew a Piper Cherokee, and did those calcs in ground school.)  Throw in an emergency situation like an engine failure and spotting a dude in your flight path from a few hundred feet up is rather difficult, especially considering that the landing zone is in a huge blind spot until the last few seconds.

The odds of this happening are pretty astronomical.  But, as John Travolta said in Pulp Fiction "It's freaky, but it happens."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's some random shit. Wonder if the pilot had any chance to turn the plane away.

Down low and out of energy he would have likely just balled it up trying, potentially making things much worse.

I don't know what kind of Piper Cherokee you flew, but I've been able to see the touchdown zone in every landing I've made in the last 15-20 years.  One of the basic principles of landing is being able to pick out your touchdown zone and keep it in the same relative position during the entire descent.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'm not assuming the fact that he planned to land on the beach populated by people.  It's in the article .  That was a mistake  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Focus! You're off target again. You made incredibly stupid statements and you're still trying to wiggle out.

You "safely" said:

"Oh I get it. The mans life was less important than the asshole and his passenger"

And then you kept going with more stupid comments.

Man up and admit you should have "safely" kept your comments to something you could defend.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I find it amazing that everyone finding fault with the pilot were not there, they have no idea what actually occurred, and they are taking a story from the media as the gospel. They aren't know it alls, they are know it nothings.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow.  There are some real classy pieces of work in this thread.  

Lets think a little before damning the pilot.

Lets see here.  Low power or no power going to the prop,  even at altitude you have very little time to pick a safe landing spot.  

So lets say he picked a spot on that undeveloped beach,  lined up on the beach while watching his gauges and trying to maintain control all while communicating with the tower and looking out his side windows.  Yes side windows,  The last mile or so of that approach he will have a very hard time looking at what is in his path due to the cowling in his way.  

Short of having a glass fucking floor.  He may have never known that that poor father and child were there.  You can't avoid what you cant see.  Even on a power on controlled landing in some (most) planes it is hard to see below and in front of you.

I have never met a pilot that has said he will kill a person on the ground before he kills himself.  

But by all means,  Spout off with all your MSFS stick time.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not taking sides in this debate because there's not enough info to go on and it's pointless anyway. But I want to know where the fuck some of you came up with the idea you can't see where you're landing over the cowling of a piper? I've given many hours of instruction in Cherokee 140's and 161's and currently co-own a Piper Lance and a Piper Comanche 250. I just flew the Lance twice this weekend. It's got the 300 horse Lycoming with the LoPresti cowling and a baggage compartment in-between the fire wall and cabin. That cowling is freaking loooooong. And yet I've never had a problem seeing my touch-down zone throughout power on or off landings.
Whatever the reason may be for why this pilot elected to crash where he did doesn't have anything to do with not being able to see where he's going to land. You can see just fine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#27]
This "pilot" was full of fuck.

He failed, badly.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

For some reason I was expecting RC plane or heli or something. Not an actual plane.
View Quote
A plane gliding in they should have seen the family

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Oh I get it.  The mans life was less important than the asshole and his passenger  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, he shouldn't have.
Why not?  

Do you know what happens when a fixed gear aircraft touches down on water? They're not just going to settle in. Most likely the aircraft flips, and the people on board get knocked unconscious and/or drown.
Oh I get it.  The mans life was less important than the asshole and his passenger  

That's pretty huge fucking assumption to presume that the pilot figured "kill or be killed" were his two options upon surveying the landing sight.  

You have no idea what he saw or what the conditions were in his intended landing zone.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm not taking sides in this debate because there's not enough info to go on and it's pointless anyway. But I want to know where the fuck some of you came up with the idea you can't see where you're landing over the cowling of a piper? I've given many hours of instruction in Cherokee 140's and 161's and currently co-own a Piper Lance and a Piper Comanche 250. I just flew the Lance twice this weekend. It's got the 300 horse Lycoming with the LoPresti cowling and a baggage compartment in-between the fire wall and cabin. That cowling is freaking loooooong. And yet I've never had a problem seeing my touch-down zone throughout power on or off landings.
Whatever the reason may be for why this pilot elected to crash where he did doesn't have anything to do with not being able to see where he's going to land. You can see just fine.
View Quote

Are you a giraffe?    

I'm 5.5 and i can see well enough,  but there sure as shit is a good portion ahead and below that is blocked by the cowling when I am in the plane.  Just about every one I have been in too.

I would imagine he was plenty preoccupied in that plane.  I wont be the one to damn him.  That is what the FAA is for.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So it is morally acceptable to risk the death of uninvolved persons rather than your own?
View Quote

Engine out, you are coming down one way or another in an amount of time that is prescribed by physics, not your own agenda.  There is no "zero risk" option when powered flight to a designated runway is no longer an option.  He was directed to the location deemed the safest and unfortunately it didn't work out.  If he pitched into the surf and hit an unseen swimmer, people would still be huffing about it in this thread.

It's a no win scenarios.  Sometimes bad shit happens.  It'd be one thing if he saw the guy and lined him up but you sure as shit don't know that.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Are you a giraffe?    

I'm 5.5 and i can see well enough,  but there sure as shit is a good portion ahead and below that is blocked by the cowling when I am in the plane.  Just about every one I have been in too.

I would imagine he was plenty preoccupied in that plane.  I wont be the one to damn him.  That is what the FAA is for.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you a giraffe?    

Same here.

I own and fly a Cherokee 235. It has a long cowling- if due to other conditions he didn't see the beachwalkers higher up on approach, he very well may have never seen them down closer to the ground and especially during his flare for landing. Especially when frantically watching an airspeed indicator or anything else in the cockpit.

Even if he did see them at the last minute, already committed to a power-off landing and possibly flaring, there is NO energy left to change course. And that plane sure as hell isn't going to pedal steer on sand once it's on the ground.

Lots of fuckstains in this thread that know NOTHING about physics or even the most basic principles of flying a plane.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Instructed?    

"fuck em"

I didn't say he intentionally aimed for people, but he intentionally landed on a beach with people on it.

Name a place within gliding distance in this story where you are CERTAIN there are no people.  If there are people on the beach, there are people in the water.  Everything else around that area is dense residential.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit happens why is this thread full of blame?

We were there after all and we have access to all the facts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Instructed?    

"fuck em"

What in the herpidty-derpity fuck?

Click.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Edited: Not worth it

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Whathafak?

Nothing is safe. A dude trying enjoy the fruits of his life with his kids, gets run down on a secluded beach by a fucking plane.
View Quote
the golden BB has many forms?

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This is my thought too.

Killing people to save your own life is fucked up when the option exists to keep innocents safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my thought too.

It is July.  There could be swimmers or snorkelers.  What would be said if he killed someone in the water?

I have come to believe that if it is your time, you will be taken.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ditching in a fixed gear plane has a very high likelihood of a pad to horrible outcome.  Absent more information about the beach and its conditions it's pretty tough to tell if this was a worse choice given the information the pilot had at the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He was supposed to land on a populated beach rather than in the water?

Ditching in a fixed gear plane has a very high likelihood of a pad to horrible outcome.  Absent more information about the beach and its conditions it's pretty tough to tell if this was a worse choice given the information the pilot had at the time.

Don't neglect that you can't see what is directly under the nose, especially during a glide.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They need to put horns on those fucking things..
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Bullshit

ETA: I love all the posters with zero aviation knowledge thinking they have a clue what was involved in the accident and what the pilot could or could not do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

ETA: I love all the posters with zero aviation knowledge thinking they have a clue what was involved in the accident and what the pilot could or could not do.

Well I've got over 12,000 hours and the pilot was a self centered fucking idiot.  At 100' of the ground he could clearly see the people on the beach and decided to land straight ahead into them.  Even at that altitude he could have maneuvered to avoid them.  Of course he would have balled the aircraft up possibly, but he chose to run over the people clearly visible 300" in front of him.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#44]
We certainly don't know all the details but it sure doesn't make any sense to me that he wouldn't have been able to see the people on the beach. He would have had to been flying pretty dang low for putting her in the water not be an option.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Whistle tips... louder pipes

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They need to put horns on those fucking things..

Whistle tips... louder pipes

TRG

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Want to know how I know you're not a pilot or qualified to discuss aircraft emergency procedures?  

Depending on his altitude, that pilot had very little time to select a landing site. But I suppose because your on genius level at the basement ground school, you have already plugged in all the variables to determine that he hit them on purpose.

Tell me, Mr. Smart guy, did he avoid a building with families in it? Did he miss a parking lot because he saw a lady and her toddler walking across it?

I'm going with you don't know. In fact, you don't know much of anything in regard to the accident unless you were there.

I don't know a pilot that given the chance, would willfully take the life of someone on the ground in a situation like this.

Too bad you weren't in there with him to help him see the right thing to do. I'm sure your intellect alone would have saved the day with only the most excellent decisions that you are obviously capable of handing out.

View Quote

Beaches generally have this shit called "water." In fact, they have tons of water. We could even go as far to say that beaches are right next to "oceans" of water.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:57:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well I've got over 12,000 hours and the pilot was a self centered fucking idiot.  At 100' of the ground he could clearly see the people on the beach and decided to land straight ahead into them.  Even at that altitude he could have maneuvered to avoid them.  Of course he would have balled the aircraft up possibly, but he chose to run over the people clearly visible 300" in front of him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Were you there? Flying the Plane? How do you know what the Pilot saw or where the people were? So far the reports are pretty sketchy........  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:59:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Beaches generally have this shit called "water." In fact, they have tons of water. We could even go as far to say that beaches are right next to "oceans" of water.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beaches have people swimming in the water next to them & sometimes have boats operating in that water, too.....

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:13:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Bullshit

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit

People could be in the water as well as on the beach.  People in the water cannot move as fast.  If knocked unconscious in the water, they will easily drown.  

Yes, he should have tried to land on a road but those frequently have obstruction like power lines or traffic signals.

You do what you have to do, that is why you have insurance.

This is still quite rare.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top