Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
So has any of the "hang the pilot" crowd sacked up yet and admitted they might be wrong on this one?

Page 12 ownage with a dead stick edit, suck it
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So has any of the "hang the pilot" crowd sacked up yet and admitted they might be wrong on this one?

View Quote

Who might have been wrong?  The pilot who killed two people?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll bite.  

So let's get this straight.  The pilot admitted he saw groups of people on the beach, still made the decision to land there, attempts to just "navigate" around them, fails, kills a 10 yr old child in the process, and you're cool with this...
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'll bite.  

So let's get this straight.  The pilot admitted he saw groups of people on the beach, still made the decision to land there, attempts to just "navigate" around them, fails, kills a 10 yr old child in the process, and you're cool with this...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bite.  

No, he saw people on the beach, so he landed in the water.  There were people there, too, which he didn't see.   RIF  
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'll bite.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bite.  

Uh he landed in the water

Unfortunately he could not see the two people standing in four feet of water (not surprising).

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, he saw people on the beach, so he landed in the water.  There were people there, too, which he didn't see.   RIF  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bite.  

The plane is sitting on sand.  Tide in or not, that's not ditching it in the water.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'll bite.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bite.  

Yes.

He saw people on the beach and ditched in the water (not going to argue with you on that point, take it up with the NTSB) and unfortunately there people in the water.

Now before you get your panties in a bunch, Its sad that the dad and daughter lost their lives, but as a pilot and as a passenger who has flown over water, I can guaranfuckingtee its a damn sight harder to spot people/objects in the water then on land (and thats not always easy either.)  When the prop stops turning, thats the loudest silence you will ever hear, your adrenalin goes through the roof, time speeds up and you get tunnel vision. Now this may not apply to a military jet jock, but to a recreational GA pilot without 10s of 1000's of hours of simulator and actual flight time, an engine out is a very real emergency.

So yes, while it is a tragic situation for all involved, the world is a big scary place and life is tough, if the consequences of life are to much for someones delicate sensibilities, then maybe opting out is something they should think about. If he had aimed at them because he thought killing a guy and his kid would be fun, then yeah, fuck him, unfortunately, sometimes shit happens.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The plane is sitting on sand.  Tide in or not, that's not ditching it in the water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bite.  

The NTSB report stated that he landed in the water.  There  is no rut, or tracks in the sand, and the nose is not dug in.  The High water mark is way above where the plane is resting.  But, I'm sure you know best.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]

I'm not sure I could pass up a crowded soccer field.  I mean, come on, it's ... soccer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bite.  

You do realize that once the pilot put the aircraft in the water (likely near stall speed) that (A) he was no longer in control of the aircraft and (B) it still has a hell of a lot of energy left due to the speed you have to carry not to stall.  That means (as is stated in the article) that he eventually came to rest on or near shore (tide went out for the photo).
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bite.  

Read the damed NTSB preliminary report and stop being obtuse

Selected parts of the article follow:  

" In a preliminary report (PDF) released on Thursday, the NTSB said the pilot, identified by local media as Karl Kokomoor, told investigators he saw groups of people along the beach and attempted to navigate around them. He said he aimed for a spot where he thought there weren't any people and landed in the water near the waterline.

However, the aircraft, a 1976 PA-28-181, struck and killed Ommy Irizarry, 36, and his nine-year-old daughter, Oceana, who were swimming in shallow water off the beach.

Witness reports, which the NTSB characterized as consistent, reported that the airplane glided over groups of swimmers in the water before coming to rest without clearing all members of one group. When it impacted the water, the airplane turned sharply to the right before coming to rest partially on the beach."

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bite.  

The plane will float for a short time.  Probably long enough to wash it up on the beach, because of wave action.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think he was pointing out the absurdity of That post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He put his life and his passenger's life over and above the people's lives on the ground.
Guess what?
You don't get to do that because of your hobby.
Simple as that.

i agree with this guy, this is the same as adam lanzas mom having an ar 15 for use in her hobby of target shooting. had she never had an ar 15 those school
childeren would still be alive. ban the evil high capacity assault single engine planes, and the right wing plane nuts.

Wow. Five posts and "click" .  fucking teener disease.

I think he was pointing out the absurdity of That post.

im glad someone got it. thank you. it is the same argument gun grabbers use just replace the word plane with gun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So yes, while it is a tragic situation for all involved, the world is a big scary place and life is tough, if the consequences of life are to much for someones delicate sensibilities, then maybe opting out is something they should think about. If he had aimed at them because he thought killing a guy and his kid would be fun, then yeah, fuck him, unfortunately, sometimes shit happens.
View Quote

Dude, I don't get this attitude at all.  

Yeah, life is tough, it's tougher when some idiot hobbiest drops his airplane on you and your kid's head.

The question is, why was he dropping his airplane where he could hit you and your kid's head instead of BFE where there were no people?

Because the pilot was a coward.  

He didn't want to ditch far off shore because it'd put his life in danger...but those groundlings just gotta suck it up, because the world is a scary place and life is tough.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, life is tough, it's tougher when some idiot hobbiest drops his airplane on you and your kid's head.

The question is, why was he dropping his airplane where he could hit you and your kid's head instead of BFE where there were no people?

He didn't want to ditch far off shore because it'd put his life in danger...but those groundlings just gotta suck it up, because the world is a scary place and life is tough.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said there Amazing Kreskin, Why are you wasting time with us when you could be out reading minds and making the world a utopia? He put it in the water because he saw people on the beach, now he didn't put it far enough in the water, NOTHING will be good enough for your type short of the death penalty, you people are arguing like liberals after the 2A
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow, GD never fails to entertain. The "class envy" up in here sounds just like a libtard's bleatings about guns.

Single-engine aircraft? Must be the "hobby" of one of those 1%-ers. A veritable Thurston Howell III of the air.

Hang 'em high, eat the rich!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because there is no part of the world where there is no possibly to not hit anyone.  Additionally, unlike some of the slower posters in this thread, one does not automatically forfeit their life once they climb into a plane.

Pilots should make reasonable efforts to minimize injuries when they crash land and based on the preliminary report it looks like he did.  Sometimes bad outcomes can happen despite making the best choices at the time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, if you're not engaged in business, you're calling it a "hobby." Does it follow in your logic that if you get in your car and go for a ride and unfortunately hit someone that you're a "coward?"

Obviously, you left the driveway with the sole purpose of smashing your vehicle into someone without prior warning and with no regard for anyone.

See why you're a dumbass?

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I ain't reading all 12 pages, but if he saw people on the beach, why didn't he ditch it in the water?

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The NTSB report stated that he landed in the water.  There  is no rut, or tracks in the sand, and the nose is not dug in.  The High water mark is way above where the plane is resting.  But, I'm sure you know best.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bite.  

Groups of people on the beach, you have to assume some are in the shallows/surf.  Put that fucker down 100 yds out to sea.  But if you're down for risking (and in this case killing) others lives to decrease your odds of injury, then good luck in life fella.  I can't argue with that type of mentality.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Because there is no part of the world where there is no possibly to not hit anyone.  Additionally, unlike some of the slower posters in this thread, one does not automatically forfeit their life once they climb into a plane.

Pilots should make reasonable efforts to minimize injuries when they crash land and based on the preliminary report it looks like he did.  Sometimes bad outcomes can happen despite making the best choices at the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

You forfeit your life over the innocents on the ground if something goes wrong with your toy.

Doesn't matter if it's a twin turbo prop, or an experimental ultralight powered by a Subaru engine.

If it's the populated beach or the empty sea, it's your duty to put that bitch down in the sea.

Like I said before, as soon as the pilot saw people on the beach, that should have automatically disqualified that site for an emergency landing.

It should have been an instant reaction, "People, can't land there."

Instead, this dude thought he could thread the needle and wound up killing two innocents...which apparently is a price that groundlings should gladly pay for the miracle of flight.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Well that's your opinion man.  My belief is that the pilot will not see any charges, damages will be limited to insurance, and unless he did something stupid to cause the engine to fail will keep his ticket (whether he chooses to keep it is another story).
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well that's your opinion man.  My belief is that the pilot will not see any charges, damages will be limited to insurance, and unless he did something stupid to cause the engine to fail will keep his ticket (whether he chooses to keep it is another story).
View Quote

I'm not arguing what's going to happen to the dude, I'm arguing the dude shouldn't have landed anywhere near that beach.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm not arguing what's going to happen to the dude, I'm arguing the dude shouldn't have landed anywhere near that beach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whether or not he should have landed there will be assessed by a prosecutor, a civil jury, and the FAA.  Unless you expect that they are all going to be unreasonable then perhaps you are the unreasonable one on this.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#25]
After reading the new info, I stick with my original assessment: he should have put it further out.

Also, I'm a pilot.

Crowded beach, many people, he went for the water (apparently) but not far enough out. It's not like it was a secluded beach and he had bad luck. He tried to see the people and avoid them instead of getting further off shore.

I hope I never have to hear that silence, but if I do, I hope I have the courage to do everything I can to preserve the lives of those who didn't choose to fly with me that day.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Whether or not he should have landed there will be assessed by a prosecutor, a civil jury, and the FAA.  Unless you expect that they are all going to be unreasonable then perhaps you are the unreasonable one on this.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to take your daughter to the beach and go swimming without having to be worried about being hit by a plane.  

But again, I'm just a groundling and not a lofty pilot who soars on the wind, like a bird, untethered by gravity or morality...
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't think it's unreasonable to take your daughter to the beach and go swimming without having to be worried about being hit by a plane.  

But again, I'm just a groundling and not a lofty pilot who soars on the wind, like a bird, untethered by gravity or morality...
View Quote

Worrying about getting hit by a falling plane would be unreasonable since it happens so often.

You should try slipping the surly bonds of Earth and touching the face of God.  It's a fun hobby.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to once was a private pilot.  No fucking WAY do I get anywhere near the beach with people on it...not for the plane and not for me or my pax.  Flying is lots of fun, but it carries with it certain hazards.  The pilot knew or damn well should have known this and accepted his responsibilities like a man.  He should have picked a spot in the water with no swimmers, put down full flaps and landed with the stall alarm screaming and the stick-shaker just about jumping out of his hands.  A water landing at about 45mph should have been survivable.

Bad...very bad.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm thinking about a couple of military ejections in the past few years where the MA crashed in residential areas.  My daughter wasn't too far from one of these incidents when it occurred.

When you're out of speed, you're out of speed.  

Sounds like there was a larger group of swimmers, more than just the two that were struck.  Hard for me to say how visible they were with the waves, lighting, and stuff.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Worrying about getting hit by a falling plane would be unreasonable since it happens so often.

You should try slipping the surly bonds of Earth and touching the face of God.  It's a fun hobby.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, I don't know if I like the Pilot Tribe, kind of reminds me of cops....automatically defending the questionable actions of one of their own, blaming the victims, and circling the wagons.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone flying a plane automatically forfeits their survival/well being over a person on the ground. People on the ground shouldn't give up their lives so some idiot can get his recreational high while putting other people in danger.

View Quote

By extension, anyone driving a  car automatically forfeits their survival over a cyclist or pedestrian, right?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Groups of people on the beach, you have to assume some are in the shallows/surf.  Put that fucker down 100 yds out to sea.  But if you're down for risking (and in this case killing) others lives to decrease your odds of injury, then good luck in life fella.  I can't argue with that type of mentality.
View Quote

Thanks, but my life is good, sport
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

By extension, anyone driving a  car automatically forfeits their survival over a cyclist or pedestrian, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone flying a plane automatically forfeits their survival/well being over a person on the ground. People on the ground shouldn't give up their lives so some idiot can get his recreational high while putting other people in danger.

If you have a flat, you had better man up, and put it into the guardrail.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:10:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Versus crashing into a full playground?  Damn straight.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:22:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But what if he hits the guardrail bounces off then spins off the road while still traveling at 50mph then flips 5 times and lands on the playground?

Your such a reckless driver.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Eh, I don't know if I like the Pilot Tribe, kind of reminds me of cops....automatically defending the questionable actions of one of their own, blaming the victims, and circling the wagons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've never sat in one of our club's safety meetings if you think pilots blindly defend their own.  Most of the pilots in here are just giving facts to try to counter some of the hysterics that are in play.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, bullshit.  No matter what, because there might be someone you don't see.  Only a coward would take that chance.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:59:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No, bullshit.  No matter what, because there might be someone you don't see.  Only a coward would take that chance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any groundlings have any ideas what we can call the pilot's Thin Blue Line?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#39]
It was wrong for that man to kill that family.  And avoidable, too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:04:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

The large watch line or just "awesome" would work.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Want to know what's more awesome?

These two:

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:07:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see anythign resembling a "pilot's thin blue line" here.  What I do see is you and some others ignoring every piece of evidence that comes out in this story and sticking to your criminal negligence meme regardless.

"He should have landed in a place with less people"

"Oh, it was the least populous place on the beach, and a small miracle that only two were hurt so badly?  Well,  he should have landed on water."

"Oh, he did land on water, despite the much greater risk to himself and his passenger that entailed?  Well, he didn't land deep enough into the water!  Yeah, that's the ticket!"
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't see anythign resembling a "pilot's thin blue line" here.  What I do see is you and some others ignoring every piece of evidence that comes out in this story and sticking to your criminal negligence meme regardless.

"Oh, it was the least populous place on the beach, and a small miracle that only two were hurt so badly?  Well,  he should have landed on water."

"Oh, he did land on water, despite the much greater risk to himself and his passenger that entailed?  Well, he didn't land deep enough into the water!  Yeah, that's the ticket!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the pilot:

Important parts:

"on the shore"

"rest on the waters edge"

Dude killed that kid and her dad to save his worthless hide.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:24:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
From the pilot:

http://wfla.images.worldnow.com/images/4339445_G.jpg
http://wfla.images.worldnow.com/images/4339446_G.jpg

Important parts:

"on the shore"

View Quote

You completely ignored the part where he identified a section of beach that he observed to be empty and like a dog with a bone jump right on the little bits that support your hysterical position even though the additional information from the NTSB, which does not contradict anything in the letter, only disproves your position.

Perhaps you and some like minded folks can start a Million Groundling March and demand common sense aviation regulations.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:30:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You completely ignored the part where he identified a section of beach that he observed to be empty and like a dog with a bone jump right on the little bits that support your hysterical position even though the additional information from the NTSB, which does not contradict anything in the letter, only disproves your position.

Perhaps you and some like minded folks can start a Million Groundling March and demand common sense aviation regulations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the pilot:

http://wfla.images.worldnow.com/images/4339445_G.jpg
http://wfla.images.worldnow.com/images/4339446_G.jpg

Important parts:

"on the shore"

Yes, it is hysterical to think flying your neighbor around on a sightseeing tour is worth these two people's lives:

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:32:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes, it is hysterical to think flying your neighbor around on a sightseeing tour is worth these two people's lives:

http://3b4efb995be6c5c64252-c03f075f8191fb4e60e74b907071aee8.r12.cf1.rackcdn.com/1836366_1406638984.6737_multi.jpg
View Quote

hys·ter·i·cal
hi'sterik?l/
adjective
adjective: hysterical

deriving from or affected by uncontrolled extreme emotion.
   "hysterical laughter"
   synonyms:overwrought, overemotional, out of control, frenzied, frantic, wild, feverish, crazed; More
   beside oneself, driven to distraction, distraught, agitated, berserk, manic, delirious, unhinged, deranged, out of one's mind, raving;
   informalin a state

Psychiatry
   relating to, associated with, or suffering from hysteria.
   "the doctor thinks the condition is partly hysterical"
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#47]
"Show us on the doll where the bad pilot touched you."

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

hys·ter·i·cal
hi'sterik?l/
adjective

"hysterical laughter"
   synonyms:overwrought, overemotional, out of control, frenzied, frantic, wild, feverish, crazed; More
   beside oneself, driven to distraction, distraught, agitated, berserk, manic, delirious, unhinged, deranged, out of one's mind, raving;
   informalin a state

Psychiatry
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://3b4efb995be6c5c64252-c03f075f8191fb4e60e74b907071aee8.r12.cf1.rackcdn.com/1836366_1406638984.6737_multi.jpg

hys·ter·i·cal
hi'sterik?l/
adjective

"hysterical laughter"
   informalin a state

Psychiatry

Want to know why I'm heated about it?

Because I can see myself with my daughter playing in the surf.  

To lose my life and my kid's life because someone was basically showing off for his neighbor, a sightseeing tour....is bullshit.

You guys are looking at it from the perspective of the pilot, I'm looking at it at the perspective of the victims.

Dude should have ditched it far from any people.  He saw people and still decided to risk landing near them....and you pilots are expecting me to take on that risk.

Fuck that.

Auger your toy into the sea or into a dune, but leave me the fuck out of it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:48:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

To lose my life and my kid's life because someone was basically showing off for his neighbor, a sightseeing tour....is bullshit.

You guys are looking at it from the perspective of the pilot, I'm looking at it at the perspective of the victims.

Dude should have ditched it far from any people.  He saw people and still decided to risk landing near them....and you pilots are expecting me to take on that risk.

Fuck that.

View Quote

Per his letter you posted he saw an open stretch of beach on which to land.  Forget pilot vs non-pilot.  This is basic risk management, two souls on board versus what appears to be open beach.  Only an overly emotional person would say that the two people should just kill themselves because there is a chance that someone else may get injured.

Just because there is a bad outcome doesn't mean that the action was negligent or incorrect.  Sometimes unfortunate things happen.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Per his letter you posted he saw an open stretch of beach on which to land.  Forget pilot vs non-pilot.  This is basic risk management, two souls on board versus what appears to be open beach.  Only an overly emotional person would say that the two people should just kill themselves because there is a chance that someone else may get injured.

Just because there is a bad outcome doesn't mean that the action was negligent or incorrect.  Sometimes unfortunate things happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that.

Yeah yeah, you gotta break some eggs if you want an omelet.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top