Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#1]
As a new father of a 5 week old daughter, I say just don't leave the house!  No, the lists are all pretty good, I would add a thing of hand sanitizer (for you) and maybe a small travel first aid kit with some band-aids, etc.  Remember, 2 is 1 and 1 is none.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I forgot what it's called, but that pain reliving/numbing gel for teething gums.  Not necessary for a newborn of course, but down the road

edit:  Oragel, or something like that
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#3]
some meds: gas drops, baby Tylenol, etc
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I forgot what it's called, but that pain reliving/numbing gel for teething gums.  Not necessary for a newborn of course, but down the road

View Quote

That has changed.   Pediatricians do not recommend that anymore due to possible gum sensitivity later on

Kinda like sleeping on back then only stomach. Then no only the back.....they are always changing the guidelines

Amazing any of us lived.   As I grew up without seat belts in my parents cars
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#5]
We started with a laptop bag as we shopped for the bag we wanted, the Maxpedition is good to go in my book. That laptop bag is what now transports my AR Pistol, as I've posted photos of in the past. We were going to possibly buy a range bag but was bought one for Christmas.

I'd keep 8-10 diapers in there at all times and at least 3 sets of season appropriate clothing - children have no concern for messes and rather enjoy themselves more the messier they are.

I posted in a thread how we make our own wipes on the cheap and we use them for everything. If you are interested in how to do so I'd be happy to share, it takes little effort or time and is made from stuff you will already have in your home.  Instead of packages of wipes maybe consider tupperware containers that can also be use later. The paper towel tubes and dryer lint make fire starters which, in the past, I've sold for .25¢ each wrapped in wax paper or tissue paper we get with items shipped at our yard sales and the flea market the wife usually goes to.

Considering your forward thinking of a purposeful bag after the baby is a child makes this seem somewhat relevant but I'll digress, PM me if your interested in hearing more. You will want to add two recieving blankets to your list.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Save yourself the money and use your wifes bag.   Spend that money instead on 10,000 wipes.    You will use them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got a girl due Sept 20th myself. Have the Mongo Versipack stored in my Amazon cart at the moment for the exact same reason.

Save yourself the money and use your wifes bag.   Spend that money instead on 10,000 wipes.    You will use them.

Make 20,000 wipes and save over 50%.

16 oz water
1 T Baby oil
1 T baby wash

Don't use the baby oil if you are fighting a rash as it helps keep the area moist.

Store upside down overnight and pour off excess in morning. We use viva towels so our cost is slightly higher but the quality of the towel, IMO, is unsurpassed.

Maybe consider cloth diapers; while we use disposable diapers in the diaper bag we use cloth at home. We have a 5 gallon bucket with a 1" hole drilled into the lid with water amd oxiclean. Toss diaper in, plung for a minute and let soak until the next load. Pour the bucket out into the toilet when you do your wash and mix up a fresh solution. With a kid you'll be doing a lot more laundry anyway.

My son has more than he needs because we saved boatloads of money on wipes, formula and diapers. Maybe it's the bit of native in me or the green libtard mother but I don't like letting things go to waste.  Actually, the only reason I still have firearms and ammo to shoot is because of this, he'd have this stuff either way.

Once again, PM me if you are interested in more details. A penny saved is a penny earned, right?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As a new father of a 5 week old daughter, I say just don't leave the house!  No, the lists are all pretty good, I would add a thing of hand sanitizer (for you) and maybe a small travel first aid kit with some band-aids, etc.  Remember, 2 is 1 and 1 is none.
View Quote

No sanitizer, it kills all bacteria while the soap in wipes kill bad bacteria.  A critical part in growing up is building that immune system!

ETA: Add a booger sucker to your bag.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That has changed.   Pediatricians do not recommend that anymore due to possible gum sensitivity later on

Kinda like sleeping on back then only stomach. Then no only the back.....they are always changing the guidelines

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to ARF, "Rules is rules. Do you mind if I pay you in pennies?"
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#9]
didnt read... so ignore if already mentioned

put you a blowout kit in the bag
take a pair of gym shorts and a shirt if you dont have a vaccum sealer get one
vaccum seal the above and its not much thicker than cardboard
slip it in the bag as well

kids dont always explode but when they do chances are it will be covering you
the above items will cover you or the wife in the event of explosion
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I use the same actually. I'm out of the diapers game (mostly, still have night pull-ups) but it works well for the purpose. I'd suggest 3-4 diapers daily with a lot of wet-wipes and a large ziplock bag. Outside of that, you're list looks pretty good...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#11]
one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition;
four days' concentrated emergency rations;
one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills;
one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible;
one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold;
nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.

Oh, and baby wipes.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Flask for whiskey! Seriously! Other than that, skip wet rag, more wipes, some of that white diaper rash stuff, $20 bill. A couple small dry towels and sun block.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine has the following:

Minimum 8 diapers
2 spit rags
Changing pad
Wipes
2 fresh onezies
6 plastic grocery bags
Baby blanket
Bib - he drools like crazy with teeth coming in

I'll post a picture later.

There is still extra room in this thing for whatever else the mission demands.
I went with a cheap UTG bag, $30ish and it works great.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Grocery bags for used diapers.  Ziplocks probably won't be large enough.  

Once on a trip, we stopped to change a foul diaper.  It smelled so bad that I put it in a grocery bag and tied it to the outside the car.  

I didn't want it inside the car, and didn't want to leave it on the road.  

Make certain that you get a Diaper Genie for stinky diapers at home.  Who ever designed that Diaper Genie should get a Nobel prize.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats and looks good OP, only thing is maybe save grocery or newspaper bags for dirty diapers instead of the ziplocks...

Grocery bags for used diapers.  Ziplocks probably won't be large enough.  

Once on a trip, we stopped to change a foul diaper.  It smelled so bad that I put it in a grocery bag and tied it to the outside the car.  

I didn't want it inside the car, and didn't want to leave it on the road.  

Make certain that you get a Diaper Genie for stinky diapers at home.  Who ever designed that Diaper Genie should get a Nobel prize.  

Diaper Genie = gross shit/piss sausage in your house.   Diaper goes into a empty grocery bag, and into the trash can outdoors.  :)

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As a dad of a 2 year old.  Once you get sleep deprived and have had 5 blowout diapers...plastic grocery bags are your friend

Find a cheap, vinyl lined diaper bag....that way you won't look like a mall ninja at the playground
Toss it when kid is older

View Quote

doggy poop bags make good diaper disposal bags too, for when you cant find a place to toss the poopy and have to carry with you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I plan to aquire children when they are no longer leaking fluids.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#17]
All that "gear" is cool, but spend some time on tactics.  Children are a huge tactical liability.

Keep your draw hand free.  Keep your head on a swivel when loading them and unloading them from vehicles.  I've caught myself with my back to the world for a good 2+ minutes getting a kid buckled in.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This! I buy wipes from Amazon by the case, carry your wife's bag.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is anybody currently selling these?

I NEED one.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is anybody currently selling these?

I NEED one.  

I currently have the exact one in that picture in my possession.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Desitin.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I decided on getting the 5.11 Bail out bag.  It works like it should but I wish it was just a little bigger.  maybe I just pack too much shit.

For the 16 week old daughter I carry the following:

6 spare diapers
roll up changing pad
baby wipes
extra binky
3 bottles with powder made.
20 oz of purified water
extra powder or extra pre-made formula
hand sanitizer
ziploc bag with extra onsies
2 extra ziploc bags
butt paste

After I shove everything in, it's usually pretty full.  not bursting at the seams, but full.  I figure I can use the bag after she gets potty trained.....if it lasts that long.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a lil boy due in December.  So I'm looking into info like this as well.

I was thinking about getting a maxpedition versipack

Versipack

I also found these:

Just don't know how durable it is.

Daddy Bag

And here is another

Mancrate Bag
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Subscribed! I am writing this down as the time mine is here this will be long gone.

I like the suggestion of no sanitizer for soap, but I think it more for others. Never rule out for the little one but don't want to make it a practice.

Keep the good ideas coming!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a wife.  Works perfect.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Burp rags/towels or whatever. Powder and diaper rash paste. We used A&D ointment. Pacifier holder and spare ones. Fun times while they lasted. Now that they are 13 and 18.....I wish they were little again.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top