Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:<a href="http://s55.photobucket.com/user/zac_squatch/media/BB15315F-B6BA-47DF-B3D3-44E9CC27B0D5-3272-0000029C29AE8C1D_zps07a91bea.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g155/zac_squatch/BB15315F-B6BA-47DF-B3D3-44E9CC27B0D5-3272-0000029C29AE8C1D_zps07a91bea.jpg</a>
The crate and about 50 more like them to ship tents in conex's and planes
View Quote

We should have you building internment camps for illegal immigrants.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:<a href="http://s55.photobucket.com/user/zac_squatch/media/BB15315F-B6BA-47DF-B3D3-44E9CC27B0D5-3272-0000029C29AE8C1D_zps07a91bea.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g155/zac_squatch/BB15315F-B6BA-47DF-B3D3-44E9CC27B0D5-3272-0000029C29AE8C1D_zps07a91bea.jpg</a>
The crate and about 50 more like them to ship tents in conex's and planes

Funny, because I managed this FEMA camp all winter.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Duratothemax you do some amazing work! I wish I could afford such a thing. Some of my projects-
<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/CDALY05/media/IMG_0557_zps97085da1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/CDALY05/IMG_0557_zps97085da1.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/CDALY05/media/IMG_0539_zpsb4e2ae6e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/CDALY05/IMG_0539_zpsb4e2ae6e.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/CDALY05/media/IMG_0396_zps998a756e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/CDALY05/IMG_0396_zps998a756e.jpg</a>
View Quote

Those look great! Simple but effective, I really like them
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Did everything but the metal roof, plumbing and plaster.

How do you like my crane?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't physically built "made" anything, but as a musician I have made music.

This song that I wrote the entirety of (with exception of the solo) that my band recorded in January of last year. It's melodic death metal, most of you will probably dislike it. It's not major label stuff, but I'm proud of it nonetheless
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Looks good from on top of my 5 gallon bucket!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

BTDT  

LMAO release is a bit tricky in some cases

I will dig up the picture I have of me on a 16' extension ladder  that's resting in the bucket of a backhoe 3/4 raised with a 10 year old holding the break / bucket lever
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Resident vintage dirt bike nut here. 73 Maico 400 that I built as a replica of Bob Fox's original bike that he used to design, test and build the first ever Fox Shocks. Lots of details and modifications not to mention tracking down numerous rare pieces including a nice set of original single pressure Fox Air Shox. Sits in the Fox Factory Museum in Scotts Valley Ca. along with a Replica of Marty Smiths 77 Championship winning RC Works Honda that I built using Brad Lackeys 78 RC500 GP bike that I tracked down and purchased out of Australia and had flown over. Also in there is Kent Howertons actual 1976 500cc National Championship winning Husqvarna 360 that I was able to arrange the sale of along with a good detailing to get it ready for the museum. Kent got the bike as a championship trophy from Husky and kept it for 36 years unrestored and original.

This project came about after the guys over at the Fox Racing caught wind of the two 1977 team replica bikes I built and made me a deal I couldn't refuse to add them to the collection hall over at their new world headquarters in Ca. What an amazing place to have my junk displayed. Pat Richters watercooled 1977 RM125 and Steve Wise's 1977 CR125 Honda.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

I rike it a rot.

More pics
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#10]
My work/reloading bench I finished this afternoon. Now I need to buy a press.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Some grips

Knife from a finished blank.  Sheath is all me...

Camp stoves and pot stands.  Maybe not awesome, but neat.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#12]

That's perfect.

You're going to beat the shit out of it, so it's silly to spend thousands on a work bench. If you're scared to scratch it you spent too much!

eta: unless you used ferrous screws. Then it's a complete piece of shit

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Flies!

I wish my dad posted here. He's a fly fishing lifer and has somewhere around 10k flies he's tied himself. It's just ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's perfect.

You're going to beat the shit out of it, so it's silly to spend thousands on a work bench. If you're scared to scratch it you spent too much!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's perfect.

I used deck screws whatever they are
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's perfect.

Non-ferrous. You're back in the circle of trust.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's perfect.

It's not as square as I wanted but I think some of the materials weren't totally straight. Plus I'm not a carpenter/deck builder like you.

It's 8' long by 27" deep. 2x4s every 24" for the top frame which is screwed to the 4x4 posts by 6 3.5" deck screws for each post. 3/4" plywood for the working surface which was stained/varnished.  The top shelf is 2 layers of 3/4" plywood screwed from both sides with stainless steel 1.25" screws for more stiffness since there is no support between the outside posts and the center post.

Honestly, my friend surveyor01 could tapdance the whole river dance show on it, I'm not worried.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn205/thecanuck11/watchinu_zpsbf427648.jpg

It's not as square as I wanted but I think some of the materials weren't totally straight. Plus I'm not a carpenter/deck builder like you.

It's 8' long by 27" deep. 2x4s every 24" for the top frame which is screwed to the 4x4 posts by 6 3.5" deck screws for each post. 3/4" plywood for the working surface which was stained/varnished.  The top shelf is 2 layers of 3/4" plywood screwed from both sides with stainless steel 1.25" screws for more stiffness since there is no support between the outside posts and the center post.

Honestly, my friend surveyor01 could tapdance the whole river dance show on it, I'm not worried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's perfect.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn205/thecanuck11/watchinu_zpsbf427648.jpg

Yep it's more than strong enough for anything you'll ask of it. Simple and functional.

Mine would look a bit different since I'm CDO (that's OCD with the letters in the proper order) when it comes to building things, but there would likely be zero difference in utility.

Not surprising that some of the materials weren't totally straight. Dimensional lumber rarely is, and the longer the stick the more noticeable the bend, cup, twist, etc. I always sort through the stack to find the straightest material, sometimes I'll leave and go somewhere else if the entire unit is fucked.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It is IED Countermeasure Equipment (ICE)--an IED jammer that was fielded in Iraq.  
It was one of the winners of the US Army's invention of the year in 2004.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are we looking @ here?  The back of a Humvee?  You figured out how to strap a water cooler into a Humvee?  You're a GENIUS!  

It is IED Countermeasure Equipment (ICE)--an IED jammer that was fielded in Iraq.  

I thought that looked familiar I got to go to the training on how to use that thing and never used it
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#19]
This is a "Roubo" style (18th century french, maybe earlier) workbench I have been building since last fall.  It is a little further along now, with a wood screw leg vise installed, and a shelf underneath.  The top is ash, about 4" thick, 8' long and about 22" wide, and the legs are red oak (4"x5" or so) that I cut and milled with my alaskan chainsaw mill several years ago - they were still no cut dry when I milled them to size.  The stretchers are draw bore tenoned, something like the earlier timber frame joint.  Made my own dowels with my old Stanley 77 dowel machine.  The through tenons and dovetails were all cut by hand tools - hand saws, chisels, and some wood files/floats to fit the joints.  The top is secured to the legs with the joinery, west systems epoxy, and wedges driven in from the top.  
When I glued up the top - I wish I had taken a couple photos of it with about 24  bessey K body clamps on it - that was an impressive sight, I hand planed both surfaces flat and reasonable parallel entirely with hand planes,  no power sanders.  It was a good work out.   I did the tenon holes first with a brace/auger - again all hand tool work.  I think it was about 64 holes, I drilled through about halfway from each surface, then pared to the line with chisels.  It felt like a had a welt on my forehead from using the brace.  It was kind of a full body workout.  I think I drilled all the holes in one evening.
It does not rack or wobble like my previous bench.  Hopefully someone 100 years from now might still be able to use it.  There will be no painting or glueups on this bech- it is only for joinery.  That's what the lower table behind it is for - its a torsion box assembly table, about 4'x7'.
The tail/wagon vise is made by a company called BenchCrafted - it runs very smooth, but I had to mill away a lot of wood from the bottom to fit the acme screw.  The leg vise screw is made by Lake Erie Toolworks - it is old-school, had maple, thread are about 2.5" diameter.  The end pieces are claro walnut - I wanted a little contrast and some mildly figured wood.  The ends are fitted with a large tenon on the bench ends.    I also made all the hardwood flooring for my workshop - about half is ash that I cut from blow over trees, the rest I bought rough lumber.   It will get a linseed oil finish, that's all.
</a>" />

" />
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#20]

some things (normal and oddball) that i have done...

ar-jedi

workshop:

backyard firepit:

corner desktop and drawer support:  (this was not trivial...)

amateur radio box:

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I thought that looked familiar I got to go to the training on how to use that thing and never used it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are we looking @ here?  The back of a Humvee?  You figured out how to strap a water cooler into a Humvee?  You're a GENIUS!  

That's pretty awesome!

Had the version in the M2A2, told my driver to turn it on once.  The on/off switch was right next to the fire suppression switch.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep it's more than strong enough for anything you'll ask of it. Simple and functional.

Mine would look a bit different since I'm CDO (that's OCD with the letters in the proper order) when it comes to building things, but there would likely be zero difference in utility.

Not surprising that some of the materials weren't totally straight. Dimensional lumber rarely is, and the longer the stick the more noticeable the bend, cup, twist, etc. I always sort through the stack to find the straightest material, sometimes I'll leave and go somewhere else if the entire unit is fucked.
View Quote

I didn't get to sort through them because I had them delivered since... I don't own a truck any more

Like you said however, it'll be strong enough for whatever I'll do to it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is a "Roubo" style (18th century french, maybe earlier) workbench I have been building since last fall.  It is a little further along now, with a wood screw leg vise installed, and a shelf underneath.  The top is ash, about 4" thick, 8' long and about 22" wide, and the legs are red oak (4"x5" or so) that I cut and milled with my alaskan chainsaw mill several years ago - they were still no cut dry when I milled them to size.  The stretchers are draw bore tenoned, something like the earlier timber frame joint.  Made my own dowels with my old Stanley 77 dowel machine.  The through tenons and dovetails were all cut by hand tools - hand saws, chisels, and some wood files/floats to fit the joints.  The top is secured to the legs with the joinery, west systems epoxy, and wedges driven in from the top.  
When I glued up the top - I wish I had taken a couple photos of it with about 24  bessey K body clamps on it - that was an impressive sight, I hand planed both surfaces flat and reasonable parallel entirely with hand planes,  no power sanders.  It was a good work out.   I did the tenon holes first with a brace/auger - again all hand tool work.  I think it was about 64 holes, I drilled through about halfway from each surface, then pared to the line with chisels.  It felt like a had a welt on my forehead from using the brace.  It was kind of a full body workout.  I think I drilled all the holes in one evening.
It does not rack or wobble like my previous bench.  Hopefully someone 100 years from now might still be able to use it.  There will be no painting or glueups on this bech- it is only for joinery.  That's what the lower table behind it is for - its a torsion box assembly table, about 4'x7'.
The tail/wagon vise is made by a company called BenchCrafted - it runs very smooth, but I had to mill away a lot of wood from the bottom to fit the acme screw.  The leg vise screw is made by Lake Erie Toolworks - it is old-school, had maple, thread are about 2.5" diameter.  The end pieces are claro walnut - I wanted a little contrast and some mildly figured wood.  The ends are fitted with a large tenon on the bench ends.    I also made all the hardwood flooring for my workshop - about half is ash that I cut from blow over trees, the rest I bought rough lumber.   It will get a linseed oil finish, that's all.
http://<a href=http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/jonquinn66/imagejpg2_zps9c59cd5a.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/jonquinn66/imagejpg1_zps17950503.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Neat desk.

Is that maple for the ledger/joists?
View Quote

it's poplar -- support for a granite top.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I feel horribly lacking....
View Quote

Me too. I don't think I can make anything worth mentioning.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#28]
turned this
" />

into these

" />

" />

hand built my solid fuel forge
" />

she burns metal pretty good if i do say so myself
" />
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I didn't get to sort through them because I had them delivered since... I don't own a truck any more

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm fortunate to have a lot of lumberyards in my area. I've been working with the best one for about 16 years and I still hand pick all my stuff. They know how picky I am and custom order material for me all the time.

Recently I phoned in and order, specified nice material from the salesman I've known forever, was assured it'd be top notch and come delivery day they dumped a load of garbage on my jobsite I sent it back.

Even if you don't have a truck you can hand pick your stuff, I do it all the time for large orders.

I visit the stacks of material I need, pick out what I want, set them on stickers and have a fork put it all in one area. They band it up and ship it to my site.

It takes a bit longer but in 16 years of building stuff I've never had a call back.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm fortunate to have a lot of lumberyards in my area. I've been working with the best one for about 16 years and I still hand pick all my stuff. They know how picky I am and custom order material for me all the time.

Recently I phoned in and order, specified nice material from the salesman I've known forever, was assured it'd be top notch and come delivery day they dumped a load of garbage on my jobsite I sent it back.

Even if you don't have a truck you can hand pick your stuff, I do it all the time for large orders.

I visit the stacks of material I need, pick out what I want, set them on stickers and have a fork put it all in one area. They band it up and ship it to my site.

It takes a bit longer but in 16 years of building stuff I've never had a call back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll do that next time, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

nice! well done. I used to do the tandy leather thing when I was younger. more like wallets and keychains only. now I wish i had stuck with it, because those are great !!

do you sell them ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

nice! well done. I used to do the tandy leather thing when I was younger. more like wallets and keychains only. now I wish i had stuck with it, because those are great !!

do you sell them ?

I have but nothing I've pursued doing it all by hand is a heck of a lot of work.  It started because Iddidn't want to pay custom leather workers prices but I assure you the prices that guys whonturn out a quality product charge are very fair.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Ballasted tracking system? Very nice, I don't see those very often  
View All Quotes
Yep Zomeworks trackers.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Pics are a little blurry, but from what I can tell that looks better than most work I've seen on other jobsites.

You guys wouldn't believe the shit people will do to a house and walk away from.

eta: Damn, you even locked in that corner. Bonus points if you installed blocking on that 2x6 in the joist bay.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Egyptian FN-49?  

Neat!  But why?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#36]

I'm jelly. Good work!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#41]

work in progress.  Hope to be driving it this weekend!

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The satellite TV station that I helped build from nothing.

The Navy control room.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Misc/01Navy.jpg

One of four production studios.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Misc/02ControlRoom.jpg

Technologist monitoring area.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Misc/03Technologist.jpg

The data center project that runs the place.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Misc/08DataCenter.jpg
View Quote

Please tell me that is the extent of your involvement in anything AFN related.

I'd hate to think anyone here made the "don't rape your battle buddy" commercials.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Next time you're down, we'll turn it up to 200 degrees and go relax in it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Next time you're down, we'll turn it up to 200 degrees and go relax in it.

We use to always go when we visited my grandpa. Heat up those rocks and dump some water on them. The fizzing sound and the blooming steam as well as the smell are memories I hold dear.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The satellite TV station that I helped build from nothing.

The Navy control room.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Misc/01Navy.jpg

One of four production studios.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Misc/02ControlRoom.jpg

Technologist monitoring area.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Misc/03Technologist.jpg

The data center project that runs the place.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Misc/08DataCenter.jpg
View Quote

Do you even RJ45, bro?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#46]

Well done.  We have a seasonal sauna in Texas.  We call it Houston.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:51:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Mora sheaths:

Fallkniven F1 sheath:

My first holster:

Pocket holster I slapped together from scrap leather:

Built up a $399 Springfield Armory WWII GI:
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This is a "Roubo" style (18th century french, maybe earlier) workbench I have been building since last fall.
View Quote

I love stuff like this
I want to build myself a kitchen table using similar methods
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#49]
bump

<add addition construct pics >
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top