BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, according to you, borders don't exist so we're safe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please try to keep the personal attacks at the level of friendly bickering and good-natured ribbing.

Wait, so personal attacks are allowed?

Yes, as long as you don't cross any borders.

Well, according to you, borders don't exist so we're safe.

Yes. That's exactly what I said. Borders don't exist.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes. That's exactly what I said. Borders don't exist.
View Quote

Sure seemed like it. I figured you were one of those "One World" hippies.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I get the whole maritime border argument, but counting an EEZ as a country's territory for border purposes is a bit sketchy. Foreign ships can just traipse into them and the country that has economic rights can't really do much if they aren't engaging in commerce. The 12 nm limit I can totally see. (Nautical mile not nanometer)

ETA: Wikipedia says that surface waters of an EEZ are international waters.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_economic_zone
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Maritime, yes. Land, no.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I get the whole maritime border argument, but counting an EEZ as a country's territory for border purposes is a bit sketchy. Foreign ships can just traipse into them and the country that has economic rights can't really do much if they aren't engaging in commerce. The 12 nm limit I can totally see. (Nautical mile not nanometer)

View Quote

Still a border. Not to mention the fact that EEZ doesn't really come in to play in most of the Baltic.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I asked them to (either him or swede1986) because it was totally clogging up the Anti-Semitism thread, and because I was really curious what people thought.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really sure why dbrowne1 felt it necessary to start a thread about it, ..

I asked them to (either him or swede1986) because it was totally clogging up the Anti-Semitism thread, and because I was really curious what people thought.  

I wonder why he thought it had something to do with antisemitism in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Still a border. Not to mention the fact that EEZ doesn't really come in to play in most of the Baltic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a Swedish ship carrying snus and Swedish fish went into Russian waters and opened up a huge can of surströmming could the Russians exert any control over them to stop the smell? I'm not saying there isn't technically a border but does it really mean anything? I just find maritime law interesting.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#10]
This thread has been going round and round for hours.

Will someone please pull this thread over and just ASK FOR DIRECTIONS?

I gotta pee.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If a Swedish ship carrying snus and Swedish fish went into Russian waters and opened up a huge can of surströmming could the Russians exert any control over them to stop the smell? I'm not saying there isn't technically a border but does it really mean anything? I just find maritime law interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It means everything. The Swedish Coast Guard can stop and search any vessel on our side of the border, and the Russians can do the same on their side.

It's why the NSA helps fund Swedish SigInt operations in the Baltic. Our ships can remain on our side of the border, while still being close enough to Kaliningrad to listen on what they're up to.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm just excited to discover that Denmark doesn't just border Germany, but also Great Britain, Poland and Canada - in addition to Sweden and Norway.
View Quote

It's impressive for such a small country as Denmark.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It means everything. The Swedish Coast Guard can stop and search any vessel on our side of the border, and the Russians can do the same on their side.

It's why the NSA helps fund Swedish SigInt operations in the Baltic. Our ships can remain on our side of the border, while still being close enough to Kaliningrad to listen on what they're up to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#16]
The amount of stupid in this thread is fucking staggering........
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

GD at its finest.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

How do you figure ?  

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit, it's not like the concept of maritime boundaries is unheard of, if your country's maritime boundary and the maritime boundary of another country meet, it's a shared border.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

No shit, it's not like the concept of maritime boundaries is unheard of, if your country's maritime boundary and the maritime boundary of another country meet, it's a shared border.

http://internationalmapping.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Poster.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you need a passport to cross it?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

winner winner halal dinner.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#22]
http://youtu.be/ApxnAr6pRt0

On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore.

So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,

For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not America's, anymore.

But seriously the passport is to get you passed the "port" of entry, which are the approved places to cross the borders, you can cross the border illegally all you want but most countries take issue with it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Are we really this retarded?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

[div style='text-align: start;']On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore.

[div style='text-align: start;']So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
[div style='text-align: start;']For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing.

View Quote

IDF should blast that to every rubber dick in Gaza.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Perhaps & a shit load of dimes.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#30]

They are admiring my post.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I think we need some more people to answer yes to the poll to get it to 87. Then Sweden will in fact share a border with Russia.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think we need some more people to answer yes to the poll to get it to 87. Then Sweden will in fact share a border with Russia.
View Quote

Opinions mean shit. They share a boundary.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yes, y'all are. I have a masters in Cartography.

Sweden does share a border in Russia,

View Quote

Y'all finally someone who uses it correctly.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the US borders mauritania. just look what's right across the water from puerto rico.

Reading is for faggots.

http://images2.memedroid.com/images/UPLOADED29/51d5d9020e249.jpeg

and so is clenching formalism. funny you have not figured that out yet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In most of the World, and by historical precedent, it is. Just like maritime borders exist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is my 1875 Martini-Henry (that I will be shooting tomorrow) a firearm?

Legally - where I live - the answer is NO.

Yet, I believe it is a firearm.  

In most of the World, and by historical precedent, it is. Just like maritime borders exist.

This is still getting into legal definitions that are a bit abstract. An EEZ? Fine, that certainly has fiscal importance. I think you have got to agree that a border based upon EEZ is at least substantially different than the more commonly thought of land border.

Or let's say from a defensive standpoint as that seems to come up a lot with Russia… What does a defending General consider a border for his purposes? I guess that depends on the country to be worried about. In that case Samoa doesn't border Sweden, but General Tiki can consider the ocean an insecure border if you suddenly decide you need more tropical drinks.

Or howabout a cruise ship? How soon can they start serving alcohol to 18 yo after departing the US for open seas?

I think what you have to do is define terms here. What manner of border are we talking about? Dbrowne obviously has a different type of border in mind. Meanwhile you have the most legalistic definition in mind. Have you thought about moving to Germany?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#39]
No, Sweden doesn't border Russia, but Norway does. And Norway is a NATO member, while Sweden is not.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Right now 81 people on arfcom need to learn how to use Google Maps. (OP as well since this could have answered his question quicker)

https://www.google.com/maps/@61.7688194,31.4930388,4z
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You should call the US State Department.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maritime borders do not count.

You should call the US State Department.

So the US doesn't border Sverige even though the water is all connected? I wanted to be bros, bro.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#42]

An argument about pure semantics, where no actual facts are in dispute.  And it is four pages in counting.  GD, you are truly living up to your stereotype.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Fwiw, I recalled that Sweden mobilized some armor to an island over which I believe they exert authority, specifically to counter Russia's recent agression. I believe that there was some historical context for Sweden being concerned that Russia may (again?) attempt to lay claim to the territory, as their contention was that it lays within the Russian maritime boundaries.

So, if both Sweden and Russia believe they share a border, who they hell am I to say that they don't?

Voted Yes, didn't read the thread. At some point I'm going to have to look this up to see if I was paying proper attention.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fwiw, I recalled that Sweden mobilized some armor to an island over which I believe they exert authority, specifically to counter Russia's recent agression. I believe that there was some historical context for Sweden being concerned that Russia may (again?) attempt to lay claim to the territory, as their contention was that it lays within the Russian maritime boundaries.
View Quote

Fighting over a disputed island doesn't mean that a border exists. If anything, it underscores the point that "maritime boundaries" are fuzzy math and do not a border make.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#45]

During the course of the Northern War with Sweden, Russia's forces gradually moved from Lake Ladoga down the Neva River to the Swedish fort of Nienchanz. After an 8-day siege on May 1 1703, the Swedish garrison surrendered. To protect the newly conquered lands on the Neva delta Peter the Great needed a fortress, but Nienchanz was small and badly damaged. Looking for a site for his new fortress Peter the Great chose the Island of Enisaari (Hare's Island), which was known to the Russians as Zayachii ostrov. On May 16 1703 (May, 27 by the modern calendar) St. Petersburg's fortress (the Peter and Paul Fortress) was founded and that day became the official birthday of the city. Several days later a wooden Cabin of Peter the Great was built, and became the first residential building in the new city.

The original clay walls and bastions of the fortress were completed by the end of summer 1703 under the careful supervision of the Tsar and his close associates. The builders of the fortress (mostly soldiers and peasants) worked in very primitive conditions, since the climate was very damp, good housing nonexistent and food in very short supply. Working from dawn to dusk, they died in great numbers, but the war still went on and the fort had to be completed as soon as possible.

By August 1703 the new settlers in Peter's city had already encountered the infamous St. Petersburg floods. Due to the boggy nature of the terrain, the area was considered unhealthy for a town, but it had tremendous strategic importance, so Peter the Great continued constructing the city despite all the losses and extra expenditures. For its first few years the St. Petersburg of Peter the Great was limited to a small town around the fortress, but by 1712 it had grown enough to become the new Russian capital.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Fighting over a disputed island doesn't mean that a border exists. If anything, it underscores the point that "maritime boundaries" are fuzzy math and do not a border make.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The maritime border of Sweden and Russia is defined in several treaties.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which are obviously highly effective at establishing an actual border given the belligerent booger-flinging going on over the island described above.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Which are obviously highly effective at establishing an actual border given the belligerent booger-flinging going on over the island described above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Land borders are never violated or contested though, that's why there have never been any invasions over land, only sea.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

When MOST people - especially in a huge land-mass like the U.S. - think of the word "border" they often think of a land border, and so the idea that France and Britain "border" each other is a bizarre concept to many, and Sweden/Russia seems even more far-fetched.

View Quote

People need to play more RISK.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top