Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I do things the Arfcom way, both depending on the side of the bed I am on when they break in will determine how they meet god
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]
My go to is the 20 mm
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:35:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use a rifle caliber pistol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to be contrary, a pistol caliber carbine.

You use a Contender?!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:57:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What do you call it when you mix slugs and buck? That's a fun one.
View Quote
Typical Alaska bear defense loading

the 00 buck is supposed to be first so you get some wounds to distract the bear from eating you and then you can use the aimed slug to break them down, repeat as needed

Some years ago my buddies were at Lake Illiamna fishing and had a bear destroy their camp during the day, then it came back. They had a 12ga and a 44mag, the shotgun was loaded with alternating 00/slug. The bear soaked up the 44mag and 00 buck with little visible effect but the slugs "stopped" the bear, breaking major bones while doing so. Eleven rounds altogether to put it down.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:00:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's the term I've heard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
'Buck and Ball' or some such

That's the term I've heard.

I thought that was a term for a black powder load mixing buckshot and a musket ball in the same load.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:00:39 AM EDT
[#7]
You know, the 50+ page thread on this very subject is better. At least that one has Afghan Man.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buck and Ball.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:47:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You know, the 50+ page thread on this very subject is better. At least that one has Afghan Man.
View Quote

No kidding....I mean we already have a classically epic thread running on the subject. I mean, a history making thread that outed a guy embellishing his history and birthed afghan man along with several other memes.

This....well.....this thread is basically fail and aids.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#10]
7/10 on the troll thread.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:54:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No kidding....I mean we already have a classically epic thread running on the subject. I mean, a history making thread that outed a guy embellishing his history and birthed afghan man along with several other memes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. That one had Afghan Man. Maybe this one will have Binky Man, if it's lucky.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:55:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
so many strawmen, gunshop myths, and opinions when faced with actual tests people have done.

i mean come on, at least say 'i could use slugs instead' or some other legitimate argument but damn.  

so, for shits and giggles, who uses what?  
View Quote

I would just throw my waifu at them.......from another thread waifu weirdness

speed
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You use a Contender?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to be contrary, a pistol caliber carbine.

You use a Contender?!

LOL, the US version of an obrez....contender in 45-70 with a 8 inch barrel, if it doesnt kill them at least they are on fire!

speed

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Eh, the truth is that a pistol is most likely to end up in my hands if something goes wrong at night.
If I were to have advance notice--I'd have the rifle.

I really don't want to see what happens to my ears if I pull the trigger on a rifle inside my home though.  Ugh.  Better than dead, but damn.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I subscribe to a 3 gun setup for HD.

1) Suppressed SBR by the bed.
2) Pistol on the night stand for back up
3) 12g Pump in the closet as a last ditch
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I use a handgun, mostly because I don't yet have a sufficient optic for my carbine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:15:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Pistol
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:15:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

You call it Winchester PDX1

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I keep a loaded four inch Ruger Police Service Six .357 in my night stand and then there is always the loaded Winchester 12 gauge Defender as a secondary go to.
I don't over think this shit nearly as much as some.
Either will be plenty potent more times than not.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Get both.  Load your 12 ga with slugs and then fill the barrel with 5.56 rounds.  Everybody is happy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:21:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Poll fail

"So, what'll it be?" "All".

FG42
FAL
AR-15
J-frame
CZ-82
War axe
Skeggox
Assegai
Gladius
Machete
Smatchet
Baseball bat
Mastiff

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oh really? Where I live the max visible range is 100 yards.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like to see what could compete against a 12 gauge, 330 grain slug traveling at a velocity of 1900 fps with an Energy load of 2600 foot pounds.  
A guy 500 yards away with a rifle.

Oh really? Where I live the max visible range is 100 yards.

What if the bad guy is attacking from a plane or helicopter at an altitude of 1500 ft.  Whatchu gonna do then huh?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't mind having either one in my hands, but I think an AR would make me look more badass.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:28:02 AM EDT
[#24]
870 with a Surfire forend.  First two rounds are #4 buck and the next 5 are 00 buck.  My biggest threat right now is a four legged critter getting into the chicken coop.  Depending on the two legged critter threat I can either send two rounds of #4 buck down range and then I'm onto 00 buck or if I have the time and distance I can also remove the two #4 bucks and replace with 00 buck from the side saddle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like to see what could compete against a 12 gauge, 330 grain slug traveling at a velocity of 1900 fps with an Energy load of 2600 foot pounds.  

Home Defense at 500yds?  I guess if you live in Kansas...

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bugs? Or Suck?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#27]
For those of you using an AR (which I do too), would there be any hearing damage from shooting a bad guy inside your homes? I accidentally shot one round outside in an open field the other day without putting my ears back on (you only make that mistake once ), and it had me ringing for a little bit. I can't imagine how bad it would be indoors where it's more confined. Would adrenaline take over and you not even notice it, or could the noise and pressure actually cause any harm to your ears?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I use a handgun, mostly because I don't yet have a sufficient optic for my carbine.
View Quote

I have one carbine with optics and one without I use the one without for the house. Optics are not that important at inside the room distances. Some people believe that if you do not have all the bells and whistles on your AR it is worthless. My 11 years in the army was iron sights until right at the end and I'm very comfortable with that. Optics were a great step up but still not required at distances in side the average house.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dynamic operating in a permissive disruptive operational environments

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For those of you using an AR (which I do too), would there be any hearing damage from shooting a bad guy inside your homes? I accidentally shot one round outside in an open field the other day without putting my ears back on (you only make that mistake once ), and it had me ringing for a little bit. I can't imagine how bad it would be indoors where it's more confined. Would adrenaline take over and you not even notice it, or could the noise and pressure actually cause any harm to your ears?
View Quote

Do you think a 12 ga is silent and has no gas expansion?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:00:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#32]
As a runner it is easier to dodge a single 5.56mm projectile than it is to dodge 13  OO Buck balls coming at you.

Shotgun has more coverage.

12 ga shotgun, 3" chamber, 00 Buck  

It's foolish to argue any long arm is better than a shotgun for home defense.

Shotgun wins on every point.

But I digress this is an AR15 forum so the Mall Ninja and Keyboard Commandos will be biased due to lack of knowledge!    

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course not, but it's not near as loud as an AR with a muzzle brake.

And I'll just leave this here...

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As a runner it is easier to dodge a single 5.56mm projectile than it is to dodge 13  OO Buck balls coming at you.

But I digress this is an AR15 forum so the Mall Ninja and Keyboard Commandos will be biased due to lack of knowledge!    

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Shucks I can put 41 .24 caliber holes in the kill zone with one shot from my 12 ga. Its called #4 buckshot 3" magnum loads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The facts that one can put 5 placed rounds center mass in the time it takes to shoot and cycle a pump action shotgun..

Shucks I can put 41 .24 caliber holes in the kill zone with one shot from my 12 ga. Its called #4 buckshot 3" magnum loads.

No, you can put 41 .24 caliber holes in something with one shot, most of which won't be deep enough to reliably stop a threat.  

It's called "not the best tool for the job".  

The shotgun will work for defensive use (ditch the turkey loads and get real ammo though), but the autoloading rifle is better suited to the task.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

When somebody else is trying to kill you the last thing you will notice is the pain and ringing in your ears. 23 years ago at Taleal air base in Iraq I busted up the side of my face pretty good and did not realize it till it was all over and one of my buddies said how is your face? Then i noticed what happened and then I felt the pain!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:06:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn... the NorCal evaders aren't even trying anymore....
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The facts that one can put 5 placed rounds center mass in the time it takes to shoot and cycle a pump action shotgun.
View Quote

I can tell you've never been to the range with a shooter who is proficient with a pump shotgun, especially a shotgun that was well tuned.

You said it yourself ....  " Never depend on the bad guy standing still. "

Do you hunt Geese with your rifle?

;)
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#41]
I prefer using Chuck Norris round house kicks to the face.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I can tell you've never been to the range with a shooter who is proficient with a pump shotgun, especially a shotgun that was well tuned.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The facts that one can put 5 placed rounds center mass in the time it takes to shoot and cycle a pump action shotgun.

Okay man, impress us.... what kind of splits are you getting with your pump shotgun?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Great.

The scattergunners have a suppressor now, and they'll never let us forget it.

Nevermind that suppressor weighs 32 ounces and is more than a foot long.  

What do you call a 10 pound gun that's four feet long and only holds 6 rounds, that you have to cycle manually?

If it's a rifle, it's a WW1 relic that nobody in their right mind would have as a first choice to defend themselves with.

Ah, but if it's a shotgun (brah), then it's the best thing evar.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/0f/0f4da38490a1408227fea40e146b6d85ca663f21ab6a5fe98317d6b86ab757b4.jpg

Somebody has to draw the fire from the idiots!  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

;)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

;)

Id like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

;)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

;)

Oh get out of here with your practical experience.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:13:57 AM EDT
[#47]
12 gauge auto with 00 buck and slugs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:14:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

;)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

;)

A Goose kicked my dog and stole my truck once.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Great.

What do you call a 10 pound gun that's four feet long and only holds 6 rounds, that you have to cycle manually?

If it's a rifle, it's a WW1 relic that nobody in their right mind would have as a first choice to defend themselves with.

View Quote

GTFO your facts and logic and shit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great.

Not all shotguns are pump.  There is this magical invention called the auto loading shotgun.  Read about it sometime.
Page / 22
Top Top