Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2014 2:06:39 PM EDT
Just a random thought, what would be the practicality of coming up with a "modern" cap, and ball revolver design for those living behind enemy lines?

I'm thinking something along the lines of a conventional modern revolver, except with a Cap, and ball cylinder instead of a regular one.  To reload you would simply pull the entire spent cylinder off the spindle, and replace it with a pre loaded replacement one, kind of like changing a magazine.  Obviously it would have to have a unique "cap and ball only" frame instead of being a simple conversion in order to skirt around being called a "modern" firearm, and still be sellable as an "antique".

Cap, and balls can be converted to fire modern cartridges, why not the other way around?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#1]
NAA did something like that already, they made a cap and ball version of their .22 mini revolver
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Just a random thought, what would be the practicality of coming up with a "modern" cap, and ball revolver design for those living behind enemy lines?

I'm thinking something along the lines of a conventional modern revolver, except with a Cap, and ball cylinder instead of a regular one.  To reload you would simply pull the entire spent cylinder off the spindle, and replace it with a pre loaded replacement one, kind of like changing a magazine.  Obviously it would have to have a unique "cap and ball only" frame instead of being a simple conversion in order to skirt around being called a "modern" firearm, and still be sellable as an "antique".

Cap, and balls can be converted to fire modern cartridges, why not the other way around?
View Quote
You mean like a Remington 1858, only with a swing out cylinder?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Go for it
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't Ruger have one?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
In my own experience--specifically, when I lived in NJ--pellet guns, paint ball guns & cap n ball ALL required a license from local town cops.

Muzzle loaders were exempt, but not cap n ball.

Ergo--it's a great idea, but many states "behind enemy lines" may have laws that make it illegal anyway.

Come on, BB guns & paint balls requiring a permit? Yes, in NJ.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Doesn't Ruger have one?
View Quote

Not any more.  Plus, it was more of an update on an old design.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In my own experience--specifically, when I lived in NJ--pellet guns, paint ball guns & cap n ball ALL required a license from local town cops.

Ergo--it's a great idea, but many states "behind enemy lines" may have laws that make it illegal anyway.

View Quote

Not exactly. Air guns and muzzle loaders are considered firearms here so you needed a Firearms Purchaser ID to purchase one. Typically everyone just goes over the border to buy them in PA. No permit is needed to own any firearms in NJ, just to purchase them.

Airsoft and paintball are not considered firearms, you can walk into any sporting goods store and buy them like anywhere else.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Uberti also makes a cap and ball 1873.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically yes, but smaller without the need for a rammer arm, and double action.  A better analogy would be a cap, and ball J frame.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doesn't Ruger have one?

Got a link?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#11]
https://www.google.com/search?q=ruger+old+army&client=firefox-a&hs=ziv&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aP3RU_f7OYWZyATJo4HIBA&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=720

OP - this is NOT a random thought.  I read your Czech thread.

How about a Webley style DA/SA w/ break-open action?  Just pluck the cylinder out & drop a new one in?  But with the weight of your reloads, you're 1/3 to 1/2 the way to a 2nd gun, unless you're going to engineer aluminum cylinders or very expensively go w/ titanium.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cap and ball guns ARE muzzle-loaders. It's just that cap and ball revolvers are loaded from the "muzzle" of the cylinder.

IIRC, the statute doesn't refer to "muzzle-loaders". It refers to firearms that do not use fixed ammunition.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ruger+old+army&client=firefox-a&hs=ziv&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aP3RU_f7OYWZyATJo4HIBA&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=720

OP - this is NOT a random thought.  I read your Czech thread.

How about a Webley style DA/SA w/ break-open action?  Just pluck the cylinder out & drop a new one in?  But with the weight of your reloads, you're 1/3 to 1/2 the way to a 2nd gun, unless you're going to engineer aluminum cylinders or very expensively go w/ titanium.
View Quote

that is a damn fine idea. Surely someone could come up with an aluminum and synthetic cylinder.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Airsoft and paintball are not considered firearms, you can walk into any sporting goods store and buy them like anywhere else.
View Quote

Well, at least there's that.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Remington beat you to it on the changing of the cylinders by about 150 years.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#16]
We have a few gunsmiths making these for us here in the UK.

They use .38 wadcutters, Herco powder and a shotgun primer. Spare cylinders can be supplied for competition shooting.

Just open the cylinder, pull it off and replace with a loaded one.

I'm in no way connected to the company: http://westlakeengineering.com/15105.html

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:25:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Like this?

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:26:12 AM EDT
[#18]
IIRC, pinfire guns aren't considered firearms. If someone started making some ammo that could be interesting...for a while, until the ATF "rectifies" their oversight.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:32:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not exactly. Air guns and muzzle loaders are considered firearms here so you needed a Firearms Purchaser ID to purchase one. Typically everyone just goes over the border to buy them in PA. No permit is needed to own any firearms in NJ, just to purchase them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are Nerf and poptart guns required to be registered too?

Damn..
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:36:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Damn..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn..

Now I  want pop-tarts .

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:02:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I met an old fellow recently that CC's a cap and ball revolver.  He said, "I practice and I'm good with it and if I need more than 5 shots I'm screwed anyway."
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:52:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I met an old fellow recently that CC's a cap and ball revolver.  He said, "I practice and I'm good with it and if I need more than 5 shots I'm screwed anyway."
View Quote

Would love to know why someone would chose a C&B revolver to CC. If you practice with a C&B you would be good with a modern revolver with a much more reliable ignition system.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:00:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Doesn't Ruger have one?
View Quote

Old Army... yep, I owned two when I lived in NYC
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doesn't Ruger have one?

You obviously did not have any loading components for it ;)

I think that 200 gr Conicals flying at 800 fps would ruin any NYC robber's day.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We have a few gunsmiths making these for us here in the UK.

They use .38 wadcutters, Herco powder and a shotgun primer. Spare cylinders can be supplied for competition shooting.

Just open the cylinder, pull it off and replace with a loaded one.

I'm in no way connected to the company: http://westlakeengineering.com/15105.html

http://youtu.be/_AjzhlYc7RA
View Quote

That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Doesn't Ruger have one?
View Quote

Ruger Old Army. I've got one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top