Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2014 10:44:41 AM EDT
I am trying to find out when the last day a dealership can put in an order for a 2014 Tacoma is, and I am not sure if the dealerships are just jerking me around.  It is doubly frustrating since I am here in Afghanistan while I am truck shopping- but I sold my vehicle before I left, and I know what I want.  

A lot of dealerships are telling me that they "can't" order or get me an access cab that doesn't have the SR or SR5 package, but just the convenience package.  They claim SR or SR5 is as basic as they come, which I know is BS because I've seen 2014 Tacoma's on Autotrader with just the convenience package.  I've also been told they don't make access cab V6 Tacoma trucks in green (spruce mica) which I know to be BS, as I have seen them both on Autotrader and in person.  

I'd like to order one.  I could finance it, or I could pay cash now. I know what I want and am ready to throw the money down.  I'd fly anywhere in the United States to pick it up, and if it takes 6 or 12 weeks for it to come from the factory, I am ok with that.  I can't find one anywhere.  I want a 4x4, V6,auto transmission access cab Tacoma in Spruce Mica with a Convenience Package and that is it.  Is that too much to ask?  Am I totally being given a BS line on them not making them that way or what?

I fail to believe Toyota won't allow its dealers to order specific trucks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you going through USAA?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#2]
You'd probably hate car shopping less if you'd stop making things so difficult.  Buy what's for sale - it'll be cheaper and WAY easier.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
With the 2015 due out in the next few(?) months you might be too late already. Find out whats available and buy it!

Thank You for your Service
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Dealers can sell just about any Taco they have on the lot.   I never found a dealer of any make that liked special orders.  A popular vehicle like the Taco with just the basic package is going to be very hard to find.  The big money is in the add ons.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dealers can sell just about any Taco they have on the lot. I never found a dealer of any make that liked special orders. A popular vehicle like the Taco with just the basic package is going to be very hard to find. The big money is in the add ons.
View Quote
Exactly why I don't want stuff that I don't need.  Not going to pay several extra grand for stuff I don't want.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I just looked through the Toyota website and they don't seem to offer that combo. Any particular reason you don't want the SR5 package?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#7]
IM mac3
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Exactly why I don't want stuff that I don't need.  Not going to pay several extra grand for stuff I don't want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dealers can sell just about any Taco they have on the lot. I never found a dealer of any make that liked special orders. A popular vehicle like the Taco with just the basic package is going to be very hard to find. The big money is in the add ons.

I feel your pain. I only want the sport features. Dont need power windows, curz control, sunroof and navagation.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I just looked through the Toyota website and they don't seem to offer that combo. Any particular reason you don't want the SR5 package?
View Quote

yeah...you know how it asks for your zip code?  Apparently different areas get offered different combos, but I haven't figured out the method to the madness yet.  I have seen one exactly as I described in the OP, however it sold before I could get to a phone to call them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe try a Canadian Toyota dealer right over a US border.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

yeah...you know how it asks for your zip code?  Apparently different areas get offered different combos, but I haven't figured out the method to the madness yet.  I have seen one exactly as I described in the OP, however it sold before I could get to a phone to call them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call them anyway.

Find out where they got it.

Profit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#12]
i'm on it
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#13]
just spent about 45 mins in the gm's office, and i've come to the conclusion that you can't get the configuration that you are looking for.  might be a zip code thing or something, buy my store can't place an order for a 4x4 v6 extended cab green tacoma with conv. package.  

sorry man.

on a side note, if you do end up getting a tacoma and want some accessories, i'll sell them to you for cost plus tax and shipping, at least give you a qoute to see if its better than buying them locally
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you tried truecar.com?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#15]
AFAIK, the SR5 is the basic setup. I know it is on the 4runner and Tundra
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm buying a 2014 4runner Trail Premium with KDSS and was told a couple of weeks ago it was too late to order exactly what I wanted in a 2014 from Toyota. They said they could find one already allocated in port or currently being built in Japan (which is what they did) or I could order a 2015 and have it in late October.
Since this info was from a salesperson it should be taken with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

AFAIK, the SR5 is the basic setup. I know it is on the 4runner and Tundra
View Quote

This is my understanding as well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#18]
you can get a 4x2 prerunner with a 4 cyl in the convience package or sr5 or trd, sr5 is only basic in certain configurations
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought the sr5 was the base package on the prerunner and 4x4 models?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Toyota
View Quote

Problem identified.

Toyota dealers are the Paris Hiltons of the car world - They think their shit doesn't stink.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A lot of dealerships are telling me that they "can't" order or get me an access cab that doesn't have the SR or SR5 package, but just the convenience package.  They claim SR or SR5 is as basic as they come, which I know is BS because I've seen 2014 Tacoma's on Autotrader with just the convenience package.  I've also been told they don't make access cab V6 Tacoma trucks in green (spruce mica) which I know to be BS, as I have seen them both on Autotrader and in person.  

I'd like to order one.  I could finance it, or I could pay cash now. I know what I want and am ready to throw the money down.  I'd fly anywhere in the United States to pick it up, and if it takes 6 or 12 weeks for it to come from the factory, I am ok with that.  I can't find one anywhere.  I want a 4x4, V6,auto transmission access cab Tacoma in Spruce Mica with a Convenience Package and that is it.  Is that too much to ask?  Am I totally being given a BS line on them not making them that way or what?
View Quote

I just (weeks ago) purchased a convenience package 2014 Tacoma. The dealership had it shipped from Oklahoma to Texas since there were none to choose from locally. Like you, I wanted an access cab body and I didn't need the SR or SR5 package. Unlike you, I opted for the 2.7L engine and two wheel drive. The dealership informed me that a 4.0L in the access cab body would probably require a wait for the 2015 model (unlike the double cab, which had plentiful V6 equipped trucks available). I didn't investigate the four wheel drivetrain or Spruce Mica color, so I have no idea if that's a difficult combination or not.

I used the Costco auto buying program to get connected with a fleet sales agent. Maybe a similar option would help your search? I also looked into the USAA auto buying program and the price estimate was very similar, so that might also be worth a try to find a starting point.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#22]
The Tacoma IS available in the green you want but only when very specifically optioned.  The access cab has to have the graphite sport fabric interior or the SR5 grey or sand for the green to be unlocked and that color combo is not available with just the SR and/or conv. package.  Not sure why they set it up that way, but they did.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:01:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

just spent about 45 mins in the gm's office, and i've come to the conclusion that you can't get the configuration that you are looking for. might be a zip code thing or something, buy my store can't place an order for a 4x4 v6 extended cab green tacoma with conv. package.

sorry man.

on a side note, if you do end up getting a tacoma and want some accessories, i'll sell them to you for cost plus tax and shipping, at least give you a qoute to see if its better than buying them locally
View Quote

If you are a sales guy, and will give me a good deal (not even the best deal on the planet, but one I think is even "good")-  and can get me something close to what I want (Green and I guess SR or SR5 then?) that is a 2014 I'll fly to Utah and buy it from you if you'll get the commission (since you are an ARFCOMMER...you have to spend some of the money on gun stuff or no deal).  

Send me an email?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:12:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Dude, I was trying to order a 2014 double cab 4x4 in green. The dealers I tried here in NC would only ask around to other dealers in the region to see if they had one. They wouldn't order from the factory. Each time I heard this, Id walk out. I bought a used tundra and Im happier for it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Good luck.

Toyota dealers act like their shut is made of gold. One reason I don't own a toyota is their attitude.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you are a sales guy, and will give me a good deal (not even the best deal on the planet, but one I think is even "good")-  and can get me something close to what I want (Green and I guess SR or SR5 then?) that is a 2014 I'll fly to Utah and buy it from you if you'll get the commission (since you are an ARFCOMMER...you have to spend some of the money on gun stuff or no deal).  

Send me an email?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
just spent about 45 mins in the gm's office, and i've come to the conclusion that you can't get the configuration that you are looking for. might be a zip code thing or something, buy my store can't place an order for a 4x4 v6 extended cab green tacoma with conv. package.

sorry man.

Send me an email?

don't work in sales, sent you an im
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top