Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The internet is one of the greatest inventions of all time.

So, no.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Around 30 or so I started hating getting phone calls.  Always someone asking for something from you.  Never "Hey!  Want to go to a party?"  Never "Hey, let's do something this weekend!"  Always "Come pick me up at the airport" or "Are you free to help me move this weekend?"  "I left my lights on, my battery's dead can you drive across town to give me a jump?"  "Can I borrow $500?  I won't be able to pay you back for a couple of months."

View Quote

So I never carry my phone around.  I leave it at home like a land line, unless, I need to do personal business I don't want to handle at my desk where my co-workers can hear what I am saying.

I hate the expectation, some people seem to have, that you should always be contactable.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I hate the expectation, some people seem to have, that you should always be contactable.  

View Quote

AND THIS.

But actually I am contactable. You just have to know how.

Text me, email me, send a voicemail to my cell, or call the landline. I will get back to you. I check the phone often (or at least I try) but I don't leave it on all the time. (I am paranoid about the battery dying and me not catching it in time. That's happened a few times because I'm a dumbass.)

If you are a charity or some other person I don't really want to talk to, you only have the landline number which has no voicemail. If I'm home, I'll answer. If I'm asleep or sick, I won't.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Smart phones DO have an off button.

However, most people are too narcissistic and worry about missing "something" and responding the moment a phone call, text, message, tweet arrives.

Takes a bit of discipline, but the off button is liberating, and allows you to enjoy moments more.

Friends and I go hunting in the foothills of the Rockies and cell coverage due to terrain is spotty. Everyone in the group enjoys it when everyone is forced to go without cell service. That is, except the wives and girlfriends back home who HATE not being able to text something trivial every 5 minutes and get a response. Makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

When we had no internet or cell phones?  I miss those days sometimes.
Oh and I'm only 42 years old.
View Quote
Yeah I remember. I was bored shitless. Don't really care much about cell phones though other than the convenience. I am not on mine much and some months I have 0 minutes used.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I like it better now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:27:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Remember when you had to go to a friends house to see if they were home and if they wanted to hang out.

Im with you I kinda miss those days too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember when you had to go to a friends house to see if they were home and if they wanted to hang out.

You can't simply do that now? Do cellphones magically keep you locked in your house until its used to locate your buddies for an activity?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:29:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

80s were awesome  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The thought is only romantic due to the nostalgia of the past.  Time warp back to the '80's and you'd go crazy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
80s were awesome  
Thats just the cocaine talking.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:29:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Some days yes....most days no.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Mixed feeling...

I am 46, and I remember my pre-internet days reading books, being outside more, and just in general doing more activities, either solo or with other people..to be fair, I also did my share of vegging in front of the television.

Post internet days?  Read very few, if any books (even though I have a stack here I've been trying to get around to reading), outside a lot less, and do fewer activities either solo or with other people (to be honest I really don't like being around people to begin with, so there is that).  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:49:57 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife and I were in the living room earlier. She looks at my daughter and her boyfriend who are sitting on stools facing each other, both on their phones. One probably on instagram and the other on facebook.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My Kidd 14 and 16 are here for the summer and haven't taken their phones out of their face yet!
View Quote

You know how you solve that problem?  Get prepaid phones, limited money on the account.  When they use up the minutes, THEY have to pay to put more minutes on them.  They'll whine how it isn't fair. Sure it is. You get a job and pay to fill it so you can run your mouth off or text til your fingers bleed.

I think that unlimited minutes plans instill an FSA mentality in teenagers.  There's basically unlimited call/text minutes, and someone else is paying for it. How awesome is that?   When they turn into 18, they still want someone else to pay for it, plus everything else, for the rest of their life.  I bet few of them suddenly at age 18 say "wow, it's great that I now have to pay for my own stuff".  Nope, they just want to force someone else to pay for it.

Make them pay for their own stuff - as they get older you make them pay for more and more on their own.  That way it isn't such a massive transition from Mommy and Daddy paying for everything, to Junior suddenly having to pay for everything.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:19:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I like my phone - I just don't like that people can call me.    <<introvert here
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:21:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Guess I'm doing it wrong..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm well over half a century old, and don't miss the pre-internet/pre-cell days at all.

If modern technology bothers you - You're doing it wrong.

Guess I'm doing it wrong..

I'm on your lawn too
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:31:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My wife and I were in the living room earlier. She looks at my daughter and her boyfriend who are sitting on stools facing each other, both on their phones. One probably on instagram and the other on facebook.
View Quote

My sisters kids would do the same thing, bury their heads in their phones and generally be douche bags to each other..

She bought 2 cheap phone cases and superglued them together back to back.. "Get along phones"..

They were still douche bags to each other but I hear it was entertaining..
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:33:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a old flip Trak phone. I only turn it on when I want to use it.

I simply don't want people to think that I am at their disposal anytime some retarded notion passes through their head.

I've never seen anything that can't wait till I get home.

If someone is sick or dead they won't be much sicker and definitely won't be any deader when I get home.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:35:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah.  Sometimes I marvel of how difficult it could be just to figure out where your friends were hanging out once people had left their homes for the day.

That's just one of many simple but profound differences between then and now.

ETA:  Yup, see post above mine.

View Quote

Funny thing is, my friends and I still got together even without all the tech.  We just figured it out.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:41:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a old flip Trak phone. I only turn it on when I want to use it.

I simply don't want people to think that I am at their disposal anytime some retarded notion passes through their head.

I've never seen anything that can't wait till I get home.

If someone is sick or dead they won't be much sicker and definitely won't be any deader when I get home.

View Quote

"Hey man you there?"

five minutes later?

"hey did you get my text?"

15 minutes later?

"hey man, are you getting these?"

Now that my boss has my cell phone number, and has been texting me over the weekends I just keep that shit turned off most of the time.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:44:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I love receiving/paying bills electronically.

Talking to my family via Skype who are on the other side of the world, for free, and there's no lag!

Being able to check the weather forecast in real time so I know if I can go to the range, etc

Not having to wait for a vehicle service manual to be available at the library.

And so much more.

The world pre-internet was spent taking ten times longer to do tasks that used up perfectly good relaxation time.
View Quote
Me too.  Because you can actually knock it out quick and it doesn't take a couple hours on a Sunday.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:47:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Not to be nitpicky, but the internet is mostly anonymous conversation.  (Granted its awesome for what you can do with it)   But, human interaction requires the ability to look at someone and gauge reaction by body language and facial expressions. Which is hard to do when people these days can't be bothered to look up from their phone screens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True human interaction is fading.

You're interacting right now.

You've probably received more human interaction in the last 15 minutes than the average person of 1965 got in an entire week.

Not to be nitpicky, but the internet is mostly anonymous conversation.  (Granted its awesome for what you can do with it)   But, human interaction requires the ability to look at someone and gauge reaction by body language and facial expressions. Which is hard to do when people these days can't be bothered to look up from their phone screens.
Overrated.  Humans, by and large, are assholes.

I will say this, too; interacting with people who are semi-anonymous is interesting, because they are much more candid in many instances.  As long as you're not a shut in and it's not your only form of contact, I think it's a net positive.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:48:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

80s were awesome  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The thought is only romantic due to the nostalgia of the past.  Time warp back to the '80's and you'd go crazy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
80s were awesome  
Concur.  Anyone who doesn't realize it wasn't there.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:14:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I miss gas under a dollar   and the taste of real beef on the grill
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm older than the OP by three years, I remember having a beeper, calling back if you wanted. Cell phones were convenient, now their a hassle. People are always on them checking Facebook, Instagram. Taking selfies or posting crap.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Holy fuck there was a time before internet?

I can't imagine how one would search and read journals without the internet.
View Quote

Yes, we call it TBI
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:19:08 AM EDT
[#28]
In the bad old analog days getting information was a pain in the ass. Particularly for niche hobbies/interests. Mailing lists (the paper, USPS kind) and 'zines were the medium for communication. It was really hard to find model railroaders who enjoy imitation crab meat back then.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:23:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You can always walk away from a cell phone or a computer to get away from it.

I sure as hell don't miss having to order a certain part and waiting 3 weeks just to find out it's going to be another 6 weeks before it will ship.

Oh, wait.....

View Quote

But you can't get away from the monthly bill.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of paying $150 for two smartphones.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm 39, and dont mind one bit leaving the cell phone at home.

As for internet, it has become a very useful tool, but that's it. I can live without a hammer, I can live without the interwebz.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:31:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I totally feel ya, bro and I'm 44. I make it a habit now of leaving my phone in the car or at home when I'm out and about to be free of it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm older than the OP by three years, I remember having a beeper, calling back if you wanted. Cell phones were convenient, now their a hassle. People are always on them checking Facebook, Instagram. Taking selfies or posting crap.
View Quote

they're
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'll tell you what I miss.

Leaving the house at 8am on the bike, and riding to your buddies house to see if he can ride around and get into shit with you.

If he isn't around, you ride to your second choice. Then your third.

I miss when we all got together and were up to no good...which was nearly always.

Swimming in a private lake. Throwing rocks at the "rail police." Using CrossMan WristRockets to shoot paint balls at each other. Using Crosman 760's with a "3 pump rule" (lol) to play BB wars.

"Just be home by dark, or call."

"Hey mom, we're staying at Jason's house tonight. I'll ride home in the morning." lol

View Quote

amen brother that's what I miss - but that's gone because we got old not because of phones
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You mean the days when people wanted to have a serious conversation they did it face to face..?

They were nice...
View Quote

To this day I will go see people face-to-face for work if I can.  I asked one of my Marines the other day for a Guard Mail envelope.  They looked at me like
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:57:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You can't simply do that now? Do cellphones magically keep you locked in your house until its used to locate your buddies for an activity?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you are the OIC you HAVE to be in contact.  Heaven forbid you turn off your phone on the weekend!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That would be so awesome except for paying bills, conducting banking, Go to a Branch/ pay bill in person

managing my house/alarm/surveillance while away, Get to know your neighbors, let them know you're headed out

checking the weather, Look out the window

business and personal communication, Office hours, office phone fax and so on.

shopping, movies/music, Go to store, Go to theaters,

mapping/navigation, Atlas, road map & compass

researching anything, and a few other things. Library, Encyclopedias, ask an expert  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That would be so awesome except for paying bills, conducting banking, Go to a Branch/ pay bill in person

managing my house/alarm/surveillance while away, Get to know your neighbors, let them know your headed out

researching anything, and a few other things. Library, Encyclopedias, ask an expert  

And all those alternatives take time away from the internet.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#38]
When I was taking a road trip I would call AAA and they would send me a map with the route highlighted already.  Now we have Bitching Betty telling us to fucking make a u-turn all the fucking time!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When I was taking a road trip I would call AAA and they would send me a map with the route highlighted already.  Now we have Bitching Betty telling us to fucking make a u-turn all the fucking time!
View Quote

Trip-Tics!! I think I still have a few of those in the basement.

I have a teenage cousin who lost his GPS. So I gave him the road atlas out of my truck and the fool had no idea what it was or how to read a street map!

I miss the good old days, and I just turned 40
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have a teenage cousin who lost his GPS. So I gave him the road atlas out of my truck and the fool had no idea what it was or how to read a street map!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still keep a road atlas in my vehicles!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And all those alternatives take time away from the internet. are slower, less effective, and more bothersome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

managing my house/alarm/surveillance while away, Get to know your neighbors, let them know your headed out

And all those alternatives take time away from the internet. are slower, less effective, and more bothersome.

fify
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#42]
My grandparents all remembered how grand it was when automobiles were rare.

Grand, except all the horse manure in the street and the flies that bred in it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm well over half a century old, and don't miss the pre-internet/pre-cell days at all.

If modern technology bothers you - You're doing it wrong.
View Quote

I'm old and out of touch. I made my living in the industrial electrical field.
IMO, about half of modern technology is justified. The other half is hype to scrape the most $$$ from the gullible public as possible.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My grandparents all remembered how grand it was when automobiles were rare.

Grand, except all the horse manure in the street and the flies that bred in it.
View Quote

I've heard horses get pretty good gas milage and don't require oil changes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Technology has done a lot for us. My life would be pretty empty without funny pictures of cats.      
View Quote
And access to limitless misinformation.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Technology has done a lot for us. My life would be pretty empty without funny pictures of cats.      

What?  Everything on the net is true and can't be disputed!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Hang up the phone and don't look at the internet.  Is that really difficult?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That would be so awesome except for paying bills, conducting banking, managing my house/alarm/surveillance while away, checking the weather, business and personal communication, shopping, movies/music, mapping/navigation, researching anything, and a few other things.
View Quote

all of which we managed to do/do without in the before time
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That would be so awesome except for paying bills, conducting banking, managing my house/alarm/surveillance while away, checking the weather, business and personal communication, shopping, movies/music, mapping/navigation, researching anything, and a few other things.

Back in the 80's I went to the bank to deposit some money.  Handed the Teller my bank book and she run's it through the back machine thing.  Hands it back to me and instead of $30 it said $300.  I was like  I didn't get to keep it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top