Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/22/2014 8:30:55 PM EDT
When we had no internet or cell phones?  I miss those days sometimes.

Oh and I'm only 42 years old.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm well over half a century old, and don't miss the pre-internet/pre-cell days at all.

If modern technology bothers you - You're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm well over half a century old, and don't miss the pre-internet/pre-cell days at all.

View Quote

Guess I'm doing it wrong..
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I feel the same way.  Contemplate reverting back to a generic nothing phone almost every day.

My oldest kid doesn't understand what the big deal is.  But it seems like everyone is just stuck with a phone in their face 24/7 now days.  True human interaction is fading.

I told her that when she has kids, by the time they are grown they'll probably have implant phones and video, and be talking and watching stuff all in their heads, while staring off into space.

ETA: I'm just about to turn 40
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I've already told the wife that when I retire, the phone is going ballistic into the nearest large body of water. Then it's land line only.

I'm still working on her to shit can the TV, and then I'll get rid of the computer.

Yep. One of these days.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I feel the same way.  Contemplate reverting back to a generic nothing phone almost every day.

My oldest kid doesn't understand what the big deal is.  But it seems like everyone is just stuck with a phone in their face 24/7 now days.  True human interaction is fading.

I told her that when she has kids, by the time they are grown they'll probably have implant phones and video, and be talking and watching stuff all in their heads, while staring off into space.

ETA: I'm just about to turn 40
View Quote

My Kidd 14 and 16 are here for the summer and haven't taken their phones out of their face yet!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
That would be so awesome except for paying bills, conducting banking, managing my house/alarm/surveillance while away, checking the weather, business and personal communication, shopping, movies/music, mapping/navigation, researching anything, and a few other things.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
You can always walk away from a cell phone or a computer to get away from it.

I sure as hell don't miss having to order a certain part and waiting 3 weeks just to find out it's going to be another 6 weeks before it will ship.

Oh, wait.....

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Technology has done a lot for us. My life would be pretty empty without funny pictures of cats.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can always walk away from a cell phone or a computer to get away from it.

I sure as hell don't miss having to order a certain part and waiting 3 weeks just to find out it's going to be another 6 weeks before it will ship.

Oh, wait.....

View Quote

Not .mil.  "Did you get my email?". " did you get my text?"
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Amen brother!

The only folks that don't like technology are those too stupid to use it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
True human interaction is fading.
View Quote

You're interacting right now.

You've probably received more human interaction in the last 15 minutes than the average person of 1965 got in an entire week.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy fuck there was a time before internet?

I can't imagine how one would search and read journals without the internet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You've probably received more human interaction in the last 15 minutes than the average person of 1965 got in an entire week.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know if this can be classified as true human interaction...

Mostly because I don't know if most of GD can be defined as human.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Someone beep me when this gets to page 2.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#15]
No. Do you remember having to finger fuck a phone book for hours making phone calls to find someone that had something you wanted?

Remember when you got stuck at work for 45 minutes and had plans with friends afterwards and you didn't have their office number to let them know to wait for you?

Car runs out of gas? Better have a good pair of shoes in the trunk.

How about having to write and or dictate directions to get to a new place?

Need to update that software? Better call and get the CD update in two to three weeks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember it well.

I remember when a long - distance call was a big deal.

I remember how cool I thought it was when I was given a pager at work. Though I soon learned to hate the fucking thing.

Not a luddite by any means, but yeah.. we got along fine with libraries and phone books.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I remember it well.

I remember when a long - distance call was a big deal.

I remember how cool I thought it was when I was given a pager at work. Though I soon learned to hate the fucking thing.

Not a luddite by any means, but yeah.. we got along fine with libraries and phone books.

View Quote

Yup!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I love receiving/paying bills electronically.
Talking to my family via Skype who are on the other side of the world, for free, and there's no lag!
Being able to check the weather forecast in real time so I know if I can go to the range, etc
Not having to wait for a vehicle service manual to be available at the library.
And so much more.

The world pre-internet was spent taking ten times longer to do tasks that used up perfectly good relaxation time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to be nitpicky, but the internet is mostly anonymous conversation.  (Granted its awesome for what you can do with it)   But, human interaction requires the ability to look at someone and gauge reaction by body language and facial expressions. Which is hard to do when people these days can't be bothered to look up from their phone screens.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Technology has done a lot for us. My life would be pretty empty without funny pictures of cats.      
View Quote

You know, to be honest, if it wasn't for the funny cats I could probably walk away from it too.

That being said, I built a heck of a good career around technology.

I  do know to turn that off in private social situations though and will engage in things that don't include "tech" at all whenever I get the chance.

Sometimes that pisses off co-workers but hey? Left my phone at home over the w/e kinda thing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Just look at all this interaction from the pre-cell phone days! These people were truly in touch with one another in a way that the mobile phone generation can never hope to appreciate.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not to be nitpicky, but the internet is mostly anonymous conversation.  (Granted its awesome for what you can do with it)   But, human interaction requires the ability to look at someone and gauge reaction by body language and facial expressions. Which is hard to do when people these days can't be bothered to look up from their phone screens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could also argue that internet anonymity provides more interaction than a face-to-face.

People will tell you things on the internet that they wouldn't dare say in person - for better or worse...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#23]
There's no going back. Nor do I want to. And I'm over 50.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a friend who is a wanna-be Luddite, he bitches about the Internet and cell phones. He barely uses the Internet (mainly gets it through his smart phone) and swears he will ditch his smart phone at some undetermined point in the future.

I tell him that it's all about how much you use it, how you deal with it. No one forces you to become married to it.

I'm guilty of being glued to the Internet too much at home, but I don't turn on the freaking phone all the time, and I somehow manage.

The things I love about the Internet is that it allows opportunities for more creative people, who before would have been shut out or would have assumed they never would have a chance—authors, musicians, artists who before would never be known—are now known. They can sell their work and become discovered, on at least a modest scale, via the Internet. They don't have to depend on a record label, a publisher, a gallery or an agent if they don't want to, or can't find one. And on the flip side of that, we the consumers have access to more talent, more great stuff, more awesome non-mainstream stuff, because we can find the people who create them, where before we wouldn't even know where to look.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You could also argue that internet anonymity provides more interaction than a face-to-face.

People will tell you things on the internet that they wouldn't dare say in person - for better or worse...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is probably true.  

FWIW, I'm not really talking about the internet in general, but mainly about people who cant step away from their phones for 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Around 30 or so I started hating getting phone calls.  Always someone asking for something from you.  Never "Hey!  Want to go to a party?"  Never "Hey, let's do something this weekend!"  Always "Come pick me up at the airport" or "Are you free to help me move this weekend?"  "I left my lights on, my battery's dead can you drive across town to give me a jump?"  "Can I borrow $500?  I won't be able to pay you back for a couple of months."

So I never carry my phone around.  I leave it at home like a land line, unless, I need to do personal business I don't want to handle at my desk where my co-workers can hear what I am saying.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm pretty much the same age as OP but agree with you. It's a balance and like everything else in life moderation is key. Limit how many people you give access too for calls and text and don't fall into the facebook share my whole life to the world bullshit and it's not so bad..

I don't answer my phone at lunch hour even if the CEO calls me which is often and zero business calls after I'm out of the office. Even family and friends get cut off by 8-9 so I can spend time with the wife before bedtime.

Sure beats the hell out of post HS days looking for a damn phone booth to call some jackwade that paged you 911 I freaken hated pagers, worst thing ever.

Having essentially a computer on my person all the time as a tool has changed my world. Makes me smarter every day and saves me tons of money shopping for new toys.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Nope, I love having cool shit that keeps me in touch. If someone calls my cell, they are either a long time friend or family.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Life was simpler. Not always better, but definitely simpler.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah.  Sometimes I marvel of how difficult it could be just to figure out where your friends were hanging out once people had left their homes for the day.

That's just one of many simple but profound differences between then and now.

ETA:  Yup, see post above mine.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm pretty much the same age as OP but agree with you. It's a balance and like everything else in life moderation is key. Limit how many people you give access too for calls and text and don't fall into the facebook share my whole life to the world bullshit and it's not so bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty much the same age as OP but agree with you. It's a balance and like everything else in life moderation is key. Limit how many people you give access too for calls and text and don't fall into the facebook share my whole life to the world bullshit and it's not so bad.

In 1975, we didn't have the ability to program our landline phones to automatically reject calls from anyone who wasn't a friend or family member after 9:00 PM.

We felt compelled to answer the phone whenever it rang, because we didn't have caller ID or voice mail.

We may have more opportunities for privacy invasion nowadays - but we also have more tools for thwarting it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Almost same age.  I have traded cable/landline for internet/broadcast tv/cell phones.  No intention of ever going back.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Remember when you had to go to a friends house to see if they were home and if they wanted to hang out.

Im with you I kinda miss those days too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Remember when you had to go to a friends house to see if they were home and if they wanted to hang out.

Im with you I kinda miss those days too.

dtt
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I would agree OP...but I was born in '81, and I'm not sure what life would be like now.

I'd say it can't get much worse, but me and my bank own a home, and I only experience complete misery when I drink too much and I actually wake up.

ETA We had beepers.

ETA2 those of us who had some money aka worked anyways.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#37]
A friend and I were just discussing some of the problems that this type of technology brings about.

I'm 30, he's 26.

As a corporate pilot he has a pretty good idea of how a lot of the younger generation have issues with problem solving and rely so heavily on technology that they have trouble trusting their actual senses.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#38]
The thought is only romantic due to the nostalgia of the past.  Time warp back to the '80's and you'd go crazy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#39]
My nephews, the oldest was born in '98, look at me and their parents like we're speaking Zulu or something when we reminisce about pre-internet life. Pre cell phone.

Stretching the cord on the phone to make it into your bedroom to talk to your girlfriend in privacy.. lol

We had an interesting discussion a few months ago when the youngest asked, "But how did you do your homework BACK THEN?"
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll tell you what I miss.

Leaving the house at 8am on the bike, and riding to your buddies house to see if he can ride around and get into shit with you.

If he isn't around, you ride to your second choice. Then your third.

I miss when we all got together and were up to no good...which was nearly always.

Swimming in a private lake. Throwing rocks at the "rail police." Using CrossMan WristRockets to shoot paint balls at each other. Using Crosman 760's with a "3 pump rule" (lol) to play BB wars.

"Just be home by dark, or call."

"Hey mom, we're staying at Jason's house tonight. I'll ride home in the morning." lol

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed. We are the same age as well.

I'm still working on that time machine to take me back to the 20th century...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm 38, and think smart phones and such are really dumbing down Americans. The only really good things about the technology is buying stuff online and getting in touch with people you would not be able to without the tech .  It really pisses me off when some tard walks into me at a store because they are only paying attention to their phone.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Eh, I'll take the technology, even though it is an additional complication/distraction in an already busy world. It is nice to to be able to get out of your recliner, walk over to the desk, sit down and research something thoroughly, without having to go to a library or multiple places to do so. The key is to not become obsessed with it and use it as you would any tool.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Nobody blows my phone up because I don't deal with idiots. If someone starts to bother me, I cut them off.

Same with Facebook.

It's why my personal FB page has around 100 friends and my non-person FB page has almost 1k.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nobody blows my phone up because I don't deal with idiots. If someone starts to bother me, I cut them off.

Same with Facebook.

It's why my personal FB page has around 100 friends and my non-person FB page has almost 1k.
View Quote

Mine has 68, and about 30 of those could disappear without me noticing. I keep track of some former coworkers and acquaintances for networking purposes though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I miss the old days too.

I realized how much it has changed when my son asked me the other day how I lived without "speed dial"?  I told him I just pushed the buttons or rotated the dial real fast.

He was also baffled that I had more than about 4 phone numbers memorized.  I can still remember about 20 or so from 30 years ago (school buddies).
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Around 30 or so I started hating getting phone calls.  Always someone asking for something from you.  Never "Hey!  Want to go to a party?"  Never "Hey, let's do something this weekend!"  Always "Come pick me up at the airport" or "Are you free to help me move this weekend?"  "I left my lights on, my battery's dead can you drive across town to give me a jump?"  "Can I borrow $500?  I won't be able to pay you back for a couple of months."

So I never carry my phone around.  I leave it at home like a land line, unless, I need to do personal business I don't want to handle at my desk where my co-workers can hear what I am saying.

View Quote

Sounds like you need better friends.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, 90% of those calls were from my brother and mother.  It was crazy.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#50]
You mean the days when people wanted to have a serious conversation they did it face to face..?

They were nice...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top