User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good advice that every employee needs to read.

Supervising people isn't always easy.  The best and easiest to supervise are those employees that are married and have kids.  These people know how to compromise and understand/accept  that things might not always go their way.  Employees that are married but with no kids are a bit more difficult to handle.  They usually don't understand how to compromise and have difficulty handling change.  The most difficult employees to supervise are those that are getting up there in age and have never been married.  A supervisor is really screwed if this person is an only child.  This employee is convinced that the world revolves around him and constantly rejects authority.  God help you if you hire one of these primo donnas.
View Quote

I had two exactly like  that this past year.  Older women, no kids, and absolutely defiant.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#2]
As a business owner, I can narrow it down to one item, and it's the hardest thing to find in an employee.

COMMON SENSE
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As a business owner, I can narrow it down to one item, and it's the hardest thing to find in an employee.

COMMON SENSE
View Quote

Because it's a bull shit cop-out. When people say they want "common sense" what they, nearly invariably, mean is: "I want other people to think, act and behave like I do and prioritize the same things I think are important in the same order I do."

If you want your employees to meet your expectations all you have to do is clearly define them. Part of being a leader is communicating the path to success to everyone involved. Part of setting your crew up to fail is to "wish" they were all just clones of you and expect them to behave "your way" without guidance.

That said, if you find yourself surrounded by people who simply can't follow instructions, no matter how loosely defined, your hiring practices and candidate pool suck and you should feel bad.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#4]
After 12 years in the medical field, I've decided manager=soulless demon.  A miserable entity from the deepest bowels of hell.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When people say they want "common sense" what they, nearly invariably, mean is: "I want other people to think, act and behave like I do and prioritize the same things I think are important in the same order I do."
View Quote

I've had similar thoughts before but you put them into words. I'll have to use that one! The phrase "common sense isn't common" just makes me shake my head.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good info here.   For the TLDR crowd, just read the first line... it may help you!    

8 Things Your Boss Won't Tell You (But Wishes You Knew)

Have you ever noticed that when people are promoted to a management position, their whole perspective on workplaces issues often changes? That’s because, as managers, they see things that they might not have been exposed to as employees. As a result, they view workplace questions through a different lens than the one they used before.
Understanding that shift in perspective can help you get along better with your boss, have more insight into her actions and decisions, and even perform your job better.

1. Your Attitude Matters Almost as Much as Your Work
You might think that if you do great work, that’s all that matters—but attitude and interpersonal skills can matter a great deal. Healthy organizations have low tolerance for difficult personalities, in part because managing a team can be exhausting, and it gets significantly harder when a team member is resistant to feedback, difficult to work with, or just plain unpleasant.
If you complain frequently, regularly shoot down ideas, or act like the office prima donna, your boss probably considers you a pain to deal with, even if she never says so. That could result in you getting less interesting work assignments, less flexibility, lower raises, and a higher chance of ending up at the top of the list if cuts ever need to be made—yes, even if your work product is stellar. To be clear, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t speak up if you disagree or are unhappy. Good managers value input. But if you find yourself resisting more projects than you embrace or if you get feedback that you’re coming across as negative or combative rather than constructive, there’s a problem. Speaking of which...

2. You can disagree—if You Go About it the Right Way
Good bosses want to hear when you have a different take on a project, or how realistic a deadline is, or the best way to deal with a difficult client—but you need to be emotionally intelligent about how you present your input. In fact, when I’ve heard people complain that their managers don’t welcome dissent or feedback, it’s nearly always been because they’ve been offering that dissent or feedback in the wrong way.
The key is to present your stance calmly and unemotionally—similarly to how you might if you were a consultant observing a situation, rather than like someone with a strong emotional stake in the outcome. Tone is really crucial here; it can be the difference between sounding like a collaborative partner in solving a business problem and sounding like a frustrated adversary. "I’m concerned by the number of errors I’m catching in the other team’s drafts and wonder if we need to give them better guidelines” will go over a lot better than "I’m sick of having to fix Beth’s errors all the time.”
And no matter the issue, you’ll get the best results if you frame the conversation in a way that demonstrates that you understand that in the end, your boss will make the final call—and that you’re willing to go along with it even if it’s different from yours.

---snip --- [edited for conduct code]

8. We Want You to Ask for Help When You Need It
Most managers want to hear when you’re struggling, whether it’s with a particular problem on a project, a difficult client or an overwhelming workload. Don’t hide your problems in the hopes that they won’t be noticed—speak up when you’re struggling and ask for advice. Good managers will welcome it.

Source
View Quote

I don't know how much I can stress that. I would take 1 employee with a great attitude over 10 with crappy attitudes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

14. My job is to make promises to the client without looking at facts.  Your job is to make my promises into reality regardless of the facts.  At no time do facts enter into this equation.
View Quote

I work as the only salesperson at our company.  Our controlling partner once made a comment to me "Salesmen promise outrageous things to new clients to land deals.  It's operations' job to figure out how to get it all done."

I treat that like my "get out of jail free card"

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you want your employees to meet your expectations all you have to do is clearly define them. Part of being a leader is communicating the path to success to everyone involved. Part of setting your crew up to fail is to "wish" they were all just clones of you and expect them to behave "your way" without guidance.

View Quote

Crazy talk.  The proper procedure is as follows:

1. Don't tell new employee you need him to come into work on a Saturday.  Don't call or email employee to come into work on Saturday.    

2. Email recruiter who sent you new employee with passive-aggressive email saying "Here I am, all alone by myself on a Saturday again."

3. When employee comes into work on Monday and informs you that (1) you did not ask him to come in on a Saturday; and (2) none of the projects you gave required weekend work to complete, you respond by saying that you "Wanted the employee to be the kind of guy who wants to come in and work on a Saturday."

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
  12. All of my economic problems can be solved by screaming at you louder and asking for more work in less time, but still with zero mistakes.  

13. I can fire you at the drop of a hat, but if you even think of taking another job you are a disloyal scumbag.  

14. My job is to make promises to the client without looking at facts.  Your job is to make my promises into reality regardless of the facts.  At no time do facts enter into this equation.  

15. Wanting to take time for family, children, medical problems, or tornado warnings = lazy and disloyal to the company.  
View Quote

We must have worked for the same firm...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Working for an elementary school, we only have 190 days to do our jobs. I work with a woman who misses 20-30 days a year and sometimes can't be found within the hour. She isn't in the classroom but doesn't seem to be held accountable to any metric, even though it's the law. I miss a day (my only one) and it's the Spanish Inquisition. Her? Fuck - my kid has a stomach ache, Out. I pulled my ankle. Out. Every bullshit excuse. I've been at my job for 5 years, and with her combined time out, it would equal a working year. Sad part is, I know after so many days, she doesn't get paid, but she doesn't care, her husband is the breadwinner. So my job is affected by lazy cunt and she doesn't even care to be there!

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#11]
That article is the purest form of bullshit ever produced.

Notice the tone.  All of the pronouns are feminine.

That shit might work in the pink ghettos that most businesses have turned into, but it's cost the company a huge amount of unseen loss in productivity.

If you set your metrics low enough you can accomplish anything, all the while accomplishing nothing.

My fave is this one:  "We Want You to Ask for Help When You Need It."  It's always been my experience that the boss wants to know that stuff so that they can exploit it for their own benefit & career advancement.

Hey, family guys, who do you suppose has to cover for you while you're out doing the important family stuff?  Sure we now have FMLA, etc. but what about the people who don't have kids, elderly parents to take care of, etc.?  I've never heard of a boss saying "Hey, you don't have kids.  Everybody else has taken off quite a bit of unaccounted for family time.  Why don't you take the next week off to make up for it."

...and I never will.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

12. All of my economic problems can be solved by screaming at you louder and asking for more work in less time, but still with zero mistakes.  

13. I can fire you at the drop of a hat, but if you even think of taking another job you are a disloyal scumbag.  

15. Wanting to take time for family, children, medical problems, or tornado warnings = lazy and disloyal to the company.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10.  If you don't work the 'voluntary' overtime you will get a poor review summary even if each item in your review is 'above average'.
Just because I don't like you.

11.  I (manager) get a bonus and you don't.  O and no raises either for the mere pions.
Especially if the company spent $60million on stock buybacks and hundreds of millions on other crap(paying off debt in the lowest interest rate era EVAH).

eta; I am not a manager, just a coder.

Truth spoken
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Reread no 1.

It's says your boss is female.

And she doesn't like you.

Fuck that bitch!
View Quote

You gonna supply the paper bag to get her done?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The most difficult employees to supervise are those that are getting up there in age and have never been married.
View Quote

I've found I get more work out of them because they tend to be workaholics (no family shit to do at home ... may as well work).

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That shit might work in the pink ghettos that most businesses have turned into, but it's cost the company a huge amount of unseen loss in productivity.

If you set your metrics low enough you can accomplish anything, all the while accomplishing nothing.

My fave is this one:  "We Want You to Ask for Help When You Need It."  It's always been my experience that the boss wants to know that stuff so that they can exploit it for their own benefit & career advancement.

Hey, family guys, who do you suppose has to cover for you while you're out doing the important family stuff?  Sure we now have FMLA, etc. but what about the people who don't have kids, elderly parents to take care of, etc.?  I've never heard of a boss saying "Hey, you don't have kids.  Everybody else has taken off quite a bit of unaccounted for family time.  Why don't you take the next week off to make up for it."

...and I never will.
View Quote

The pronouns are feminine because the author is a female. Generally, I prefer gender neutral writing when you don't know your audience but, I give chicks a pass for writing feminine leaning work.

Everything else you typed is sad, sad bull-shit and if that tells the story of your professional experience I'm saddened that you lack the self-esteem to not work in shit-holes for ass-holes like your description brings to mind.

Life s too fucking short to sell it an hour at a time to people you hate.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
10.  If you don't work the 'voluntary' overtime you will get a poor review summary even if each item in your review is 'above average'.
Just because I don't like you.

11.  I (manager) get a bonus and you don't.  O and no raises either for the mere pions.
Especially if the company spent $60million on stock buybacks and hundreds of millions on other crap(paying off debt in the lowest interest rate era EVAH).

eta; I am not a manager, just a coder.
View Quote

No Kidding?

Your first statement rings a little close to home, and perhaps you should ask what your boss really wants you to accomplish during the regular work week than he thinks needs done on OT. I can't think of a single manager that WANTS to pay OT, but I can think of a bunch that think that OT is needed to hit their goals.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#17]
My 2 cents as a manager is that it is incredibly hard to find people who have adult sensibilities in the work place.

Everybody's an adolescent now, even at age 50.  We don't do shame in our culture anymore, so people aren't embarrassed to act like a child at work.

Adults should be able to work out the minutiae of daily interaction with each other without having somebody intervene.  There are so many people who can't do that.

If you have maturity, a bit of self control and discretion (like adults are supposed to) I think you are the exception and not the rule.

This goes for managers, too, not just employees.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I got lucky here.  Most of those lessons I learned when I got a great boss.  He's no longer my boss, so instead I merely have a good boss.  The old boss is now the boss's boss.  

The overtime coder is going to hate me for this, but I'm also a software developer.   The unofficial policy in our department, as established by the old boss and reinforced by the new, is that if you're working more than 40 hours in a week, it's because you aren't doing your job properly or management isn't.  And since we haven't fired you yet, you're probably doing your job.  Which means management needs to do a better job.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got lucky here.  Most of those lessons I learned when I got a great boss.  He's no longer my boss, so instead I merely have a good boss.  The old boss is now the boss's boss.  

The overtime coder is going to hate me for this, but I'm also a software developer.   The unofficial policy in our department, as established by the old boss and reinforced by the new, is that if you're working more than 40 hours in a week, it's because you aren't doing your job properly or management isn't.  And since we haven't fired you yet, you're probably doing your job.  Which means management needs to do a better job.
View Quote

I'm fucking stealing that!

I used the same sort of logic when people would lament to me that they were too busy to take time off around "use it or lose it" time. I'd simply reply "that sounds like horrible time management, to me. Is it your fault or is your boss the problem?" To be frank, I don't care where the problem is, I want it fixed.

Paying *anyone* time and a half as a matter of course over a protracted period is a fucking crying shame, for a host of good reasons. I can, generally, take the extra .5 an hour I'm paying someone and hire a whole new human for a little while to do BETTER work than the poor asshole working 70 hours a week. Even factoring in training and orientation. Then I have a happier employee and a cheap whipping boy who also gets a shiny spot on his resume for the duration of the project. Payroll dollars are seldom a key consideration in our business BUT, when it comes down to it, I'd rather spend a few extra bucks to keep from killing my crew.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I used the same sort of logic when people would lament to me that they were too busy to take time off around "use it or lose it" time. I'd simply reply "that sounds like horrible time management, to me. Is it your fault or is your boss the problem?" To be frank, I don't care where the problem is, I want it fixed.

Paying *anyone* time and a half as a matter of course over a protracted period is a fucking crying shame, for a host of good reasons. I can, generally, take the extra .5 an hour I'm paying someone and hire a whole new human for a little while to do BETTER work than the poor asshole working 70 hours a week. Even factoring in training and orientation. Then I have a happier employee and a cheap whipping boy who also gets a shiny spot on his resume for the duration of the project. Payroll dollars are seldom a key consideration in our business BUT, when it comes down to it, I'd rather spend a few extra bucks to keep from killing my crew.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, with the "use or lose it" vacation (which I hate, btw)*, our boss also has had to habitually come around to those of us who don't take vacation and pretty much demand we either start scheduling it now or start taking it now.  Pretty hard to manage workload for Nov/Dec when half your staff still has a good 2 weeks of vacation to blow randomly there.  

*My last job had the "accrue and use" policy.  You built it up and it never expired.  Worst case you would just stop accruing.  I always had ~8 days built up, which was very nice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Milf tech?  some nice dressed ladies in those photos, no fatties or snarlaxes of any types.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Managing is an interesting job.  I manage lawyers, CPAs, and EAs.  Guess what.  Even they  have their share of "babies."
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Excellent post.

While there have been many sarcastic additions from people who either work at shitty companies, or are the employees who don't seem to grasp those 8 concepts presented, I do have one serious addition.

If your boss wasn't part of your recruiting, hiring, or training, and if he or she didn't speak at your high school career day, then it's probably not going to do any good to blame him or her for your misunderstanding about the job expectations. The expectations are what the are, despite how they may have been represented prior to taking the job. A good boss will make them known as soon as possible. A good employee will get to a point where he or she is okay with them, or will seek employment elsewhere. Refusing to do either doesn't hurt your boss, it hurts your coworkers, and there's a good chance they can find a way to hurt you back.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#24]
#18... Success is what your boss achieves through your hard work.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you worked with a few of my friends at that firm.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

I would love to tell someone I work with that the boss/owner fucked up and that's why we're working more than 40 hours haha.
I guess reading this thread makes me appreciative of the type of work I do. It's non corporate work, there are no managers, and no fucking HR person/department. We have a boss, he is the owner. He tells you what needs doing and it's your job to get it done. Period. There's no checking up on you or none of that. It just has to get done. The schedule is the same as always, quick as possible. We work when something broke or someone really fucked up and blew something up at a refinery or chemical plant. I've never had a boss in 25+ years that wasn't the owner. The owner contracts out a HR person that does our insurance and shit like that. Everyone in the office on a work day, is doing actual work.  I work in an office with 15 people, the average time of employment is 22 years. It went down slightly recently because I came on and quit working contract for them and I replaced the guy who had worked there 30+ years.
Of course the flip side is when Exxon says "money is no object, get it done now" they are one of the few companies that literally mean money is no object.

Everyone at work, including the 75 guys in the shop LOVE when we hear overtime even tho everyone in the office is on salary. That means that big paycheck each June is getting bigger and bigger. Everyone gets a bonus, even the hourly guys. I got one this year that was 30% of my gross pay and that was for being here 6 months. My dad retired from the same company and he often got 50% give or take as a bonus each year.

I don't know how you guys with middle management, paper pushers, and HR departments handle it. Of course we don't run thru people which helps a lot. I was the first new hire in the office in almost 20 years.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Again I guess I'm really lucky. My boss works as hard as I do and everyone else. Many days when the shit hits the fan he's up on a tower or pressure vessel when it's 100F out and the steam is everywhere right beside me measuring something or he's measuring and I'm making a sketch. There's nothing in the shop I haven't seen him do in a pinch from weld, help unload trucks, fit, run the press brake, angle roll etc...He's been the owner 45+ years and he gets here normally within 5-10 minutes of when I do in the morning and 90% of the time him and his son are the last two people there. When work gets hectic for a long period he just tells you to take off and you still get paid. I had a medical deal earlier this year and missed almost a month of work after having only been there 2 months. Got paid for every week, had a stack of checks in the vault when I returned.

About the only thing he won't do is screw with a computer, but he can produce the same drawing I can on a piece of paper if needed.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:54:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Ha.  They never met my boss.   Here's his rules:

1) Fix it yourself, so I can take credit.

2) I can't help you, I got my own stuff to deal with.

3) If you're wrong, it's your fault.

4) If you're right, it's because you listened to me.

5) When management comes down on both our heads, I'll sell you out faster than crack dealer peddling rocks at a rehab center.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:53:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ha.  They never met my boss.   Here's his rules:

1) Fix it yourself, so I can take credit.

2) I can't help you, I got my own stuff to deal with.

3) If you're wrong, it's your fault.

4) If you're right, it's because you listened to me.

5) When management comes down on both our heads, I'll sell you out faster than crack dealer peddling rocks at a rehab center.

View Quote

Why would you work for someone like that?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The pronouns are feminine because the author is a female. Generally, I prefer gender neutral writing when you don't know your audience but, I give chicks a pass for writing feminine leaning work.

Everything else you typed is sad, sad bull-shit and if that tells the story of your professional experience I'm saddened that you lack the self-esteem to not work in shit-holes for ass-holes like your description brings to mind.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and I never will.

Wow, just wow.

You sure make a lot of assumptions.

Apparently you've mastered the fine art of living in that environment.  It speaks poorly of you that you live a life like that, in the pink ghetto & seem to have mastered it.

Have you ever had to actually deal with men?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I would love to tell someone I work with that the boss/owner fucked up and that's why we're working more than 40 hours haha.

I guess reading this thread makes me appreciative of the type of work I do. It's non corporate work, there are no managers, and no fucking HR person/department. We have a boss, he is the owner. He tells you what needs doing and it's your job to get it done. Period. There's no checking up on you or none of that. It just has to get done. The schedule is the same as always, quick as possible. We work when something broke or someone really fucked up and blew something up at a refinery or chemical plant. I've never had a boss in 25+ years that wasn't the owner. The owner contracts out a HR person that does our insurance and shit like that. Everyone in the office on a work day, is doing actual work.  I work in an office with 15 people, the average time of employment is 22 years. It went down slightly recently because I came on and quit working contract for them and I replaced the guy who had worked there 30+ years.

Of course the flip side is when Exxon says "money is no object, get it done now" they are one of the few companies that literally mean money is no object.

Everyone at work, including the 75 guys in the shop LOVE when we hear overtime even tho everyone in the office is on salary. That means that big paycheck each June is getting bigger and bigger. Everyone gets a bonus, even the hourly guys. I got one this year that was 30% of my gross pay and that was for being here 6 months. My dad retired from the same company and he often got 50% give or take as a bonus each year.

I don't know how you guys with middle management, paper pushers, and HR departments handle it. Of course we don't run thru people which helps a lot. I was the first new hire in the office in almost 20 years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Again I guess I'm really lucky. My boss works as hard as I do and everyone else. Many days when the shit hits the fan he's up on a tower or pressure vessel when it's 100F out and the steam is everywhere right beside me measuring something or he's measuring and I'm making a sketch. There's nothing in the shop I haven't seen him do in a pinch from weld, help unload trucks, fit, run the press brake, angle roll etc...He's been the owner 45+ years and he gets here normally within 5-10 minutes of when I do in the morning and 90% of the time him and his son are the last two people there. When work gets hectic for a long period he just tells you to take off and you still get paid. I had a medical deal earlier this year and missed almost a month of work after having only been there 2 months. Got paid for every week, had a stack of checks in the vault when I returned.

About the only thing he won't do is screw with a computer, but he can produce the same drawing I can on a piece of paper if needed.

Sounds like you've got a pretty nice gig going.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Leaders are far and few between. Bosses are a dime a dozen.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wow, just wow.

Apparently you've mastered the fine art of living in that environment.  It speaks poorly of you that you live a life like that, in the pink ghetto & seem to have mastered it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and I never will.

Wow, just wow.

From Auto Shop to Chemical Plant to Federal Law Enforcement to Tower Construction/Operations ... yeah, I sure have had a "pink ghetto" career.

I'm not sure what environment you're referring to. I was pointing out that your worldview as it pertains to working for a living sounds sad and horribly broken. You should feel good enough about yourself to find employment somewhere the things you described in the post I replied to don't happen.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Here's a few things employees know & wish their boss did:

Know when to tell your bosses to "Fuck off". If corporate wants to cut hours & then have you ride us when they want more stuff done in a shorter period of time, the correct response to them is "bitch, I have the keys to this building & will have this place looted as barren as it was when we built it."

If you lack that key ability, you have no place being even the manager of a gas station. Your the same type of ignorant cocksucker who would say "just following orders" when shoving folks into ovens.

If you put enough stupid regulations in place, we can unionize & in the current political climate, it will hurt YOU as much as us. Best anti-union method is to not make them sound like an attractive option.

Know when to overlook things. We just lost a good employee in a already short staffed department, because one day she came to work in pants that were kaki'ish in style but a darker color & was threatened with a write up. She more or less said "Fuck you" & left.

Bottom line, don't give us flak over something unless we've just stabbed a customer in the neck. Then you may complain.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#36]
my old boss was great and he left me alone

my new boss is by far one of the worst people i have ever dealt with on a business scale ever. by far the most vindictive, grudge holding person i have ever met

she needs to take a anger management class and get adjusted, hell even her boss is starting to get wind of her crap

hell she even riped the guy in the building who is just about the nicest guy i know.

i cant wait till i finish my degree soon. I am so going to tell her to go fuck her self, seriously

but in the mean time ill behave
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Dear (my boss)

1. Amen bro.
2. I don't cry wolf.  When I say there is a problem, there is a problem.
3. Helicopter and talk about schedule all you want.  Lives depend on my decisions, and you will wait until we do it right. (or find someone else to get people killed).
4. You're busy, we can catch up anytime.  Don't worry about it.  Just know I'm working towards goals WE set. (and you forgot about)
5. Constructive criticism is ALWAYS welcome.  I want to do my job better, so I can make the company more money, so they will pay me more money.
6. I'm an engineer, fuck that emotional bullshit.  It's right, or it's wrong.  I'll tell you my professional opinion either way.
7. As long as "Jane" is putting in every bit as much effort as I am, "she" is cool with me.  If she is getting special treatment?  Fuck you, this company, and I'll help your competitor beat you out of future contracts.
8. lololololol.  We both know you told management your 3 engineers could do the work of 10, and that help isn't coming.  Don't worry bro, I'll get it done, but you better remember that at my performance review.

Sincerely,

Caboose314

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#38]
My boss just retired.
41 years with the government and not a bad guy but most definitely not a people person.
Good-bye Rick, I will miss you.
My new boss is a good old boy who will go far. Good with people.
I have always tried my best to make my boss happy and to make them look good. It's worked for more than 40 years.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah but you'd be surprised how many people (old or young, skilled or unskilled, educated or uneducated) don't get a lot of this.

Quoted:
Should be called "8 things anyone with a little gray matter in their noggin already knows"
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#41]
While there ARE plenty of people who really do lack common sense and the associated critical thinking skills.....

I'm going to agree with HKUSP45C on this.

ETA:  over a 22 year professional career in IT, I can think of FAR FAR more bad managers than bad staff members.  

Funny how that works.

Quoted:

Because it's a bull shit cop-out. When people say they want "common sense" what they, nearly invariably, mean is: "I want other people to think, act and behave like I do and prioritize the same things I think are important in the same order I do."

That said, if you find yourself surrounded by people who simply can't follow instructions, no matter how loosely defined, your hiring practices and candidate pool suck and you should feel bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

COMMON SENSE

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top