BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My stomach is lined with lead.  Fast food? Prunes? Nuclear chiles? A entire box of Fiber One bars?

Big. Fucking. Deal.
Applebee's garlic mashed potatoes? Gastric holocaust. It's the only food that does it. There's something wrong with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they use the same Insta-poop chemical in their food that Pizza Hut uses.

My stomach is lined with lead.  Fast food? Prunes? Nuclear chiles? A entire box of Fiber One bars?

Big. Fucking. Deal.
Applebee's garlic mashed potatoes? Gastric holocaust. It's the only food that does it. There's something wrong with them.

Lead lined?  Eat three bowls of Kashi "Go Lean" cereal and then get back to us.

You won't. You'll be dead.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

*heavy exasperated sigh*

Look.  I've eaten at Michael Jordan's restaurant here in Chicago.  I've eaten at the Chicago Firehouse restaurant, which is a Zagat rated 22(which must be good, it's pretty expensive.)  I've eaten at Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah, GA.  I've eaten at her brother's restaurant, Uncle Bubba's.

I think Applebee's is decent, for a chain.  I've never gone there and thought "Well, that was the best thing I've eaten in forever."  For what it is, and what you're paying, it's decent.  And it's not a place I'd suggest going to on my own.  

Please, tell me all your experience about fine dining. And no, Sizzler doesn't count.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The food is decent you say

The "food" is junk

*heavy exasperated sigh*

Look.  I've eaten at Michael Jordan's restaurant here in Chicago.  I've eaten at the Chicago Firehouse restaurant, which is a Zagat rated 22(which must be good, it's pretty expensive.)  I've eaten at Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah, GA.  I've eaten at her brother's restaurant, Uncle Bubba's.

I think Applebee's is decent, for a chain.  I've never gone there and thought "Well, that was the best thing I've eaten in forever."  For what it is, and what you're paying, it's decent.  And it's not a place I'd suggest going to on my own.  

Please, tell me all your experience about fine dining. And no, Sizzler doesn't count.

Have you had your taste buds checked lately?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
because it sucks

their "steaks" are gristly and flavorless
View Quote

Who orders a steak at Applebees?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Have you had your taste buds checked lately?
View Quote

Yes, according to the epicureans in AR15.com General Discussion, something must be wrong with me as I don't think Applebee's is the most putrid stuff ever.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
because it sucks

their "steaks" are gristly and flavorless

Generally I just get their chicken or burgers, which is what I did 2 out of the last 3 times I went there. Pretty hard to fuck up both.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Because when a glass breaks around the ICE BOX, the employee did not empty the entire ice box to make sure that no glass fell in. Then they served iced water to a patron, and said patron ended up swallowing glass, and cutting the inside of their throat....
View Quote

In fairness, any restaurant can have that lazy employee.

I worked at an applebees for 2 years in high school. 3 times while I was working somebody broke a glass.. and I was the one who had to empty the ice bin. Twice it was during dinner rush and I was on the dish tank at the time. That was fun.

Eventually I moved to fry cook which also did most of the microwaving (and then I moved to flat top, then realized I hated working there). 90% of the stuff that was microwaved was desserts (which were frozen) or vegetables (which were prepared in house and then frozen). Fried stuff was frozen and brought in in bulk then prepped into individual orders.

Pastas were kept on the steam table. Soups were kept hot in a sealed plastic bag in a kettle of simmering water and as necessary bags were emptied into hotel pans and served off the steam table.

Yes, most of the stuff came on a sysco truck. Some of the food was decent. A lot of it was very low quality. But the experience came down to how much the cook cared about his job at the time, who was running expo (that can make all the difference) and if the servers were running food on time. i.e. the factors that influence EVERY restaurant. It's just that Applebees tends to be lowest common denominator in virtually every area (wait staff, cooks, managers and hence food orders) so the experience tends to be consistently bad. One day a coworker was freaking out because the managers lost his application and needed him to fill it out again for their records and he couldn't remember which of his felonies he'd written down. One of the waiters used to sling coke behind the dumpsters behind the restaurant. etc, etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
If there was one within 100 miles if me, I wouldn't mind eating there every week.  Then again, I've ordered the same app and meal there for the past 15 years.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Because I can microwave food better than they can,
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I worked at an Applebee's 20 years ago. I've been back maybe 3 times since then, and they were all because the group whom I was with chose to go there. Once was because it was right next door to the hotel most of a friend's wedding party was staying in and we all went there to drink after the reception. The last time was after a gun show and it was close and the couple I was with wanted to go there. I ordered a steak, which came out to me grey. Steak shouldn't be grey.

I've eaten in some nice restaurants (such as Todd English's Olive in Aspen) and have had the distinct pleasure of knowing and working for other excellent chefs, who've allowed me to eat their food. I know what quality food tastes and looks like. Applebee's is not it.

Applebee's is what is, cookie cutter food for people who either don't care enough to want better, or who don't know enough to expect better. One of the selling points of any chain restaurant, whether it's Applebee's, McDonald's, or even Wolfgang Puck Express, is the fact that you can walk into any of their restaurants, in any city, and the food should be the same.That's good if you're traveling and don't want to play "Dinner Mystery," where you have to wonder if the restaurant is going to have something you'll like on the menu, or if the cook is a semi-literate mouth-breather who can't figure out how to boil water, much less combine ingredients in a pleasing way. At least with Applebee's, the semi-literate mouth-breather slapping the grey steak on the plate, beside the microwaved broccoli, and baked potato will have color pictures to tell him how to make your dinner. If you are traveling and are more willing to accept minimal quality, in exchange for minimal risk, more power to you. If you actually think, however, that Applebee's is anything but minimal quality food, your opinion of food is so low that I wouldn't take it with any one of the more-than-excessive grains of salt Applebee's routinely puts on there steaks.

One thing is certain: Never in my life will you ever hear me utter the words, "Hey, how about Applebee's for dinner tonight?"

I almost forgot to tell you about the dishwashers who worked at the Applebee's where I worked. Both of them, a man and a woman, were borderline retarded and would routinely eat off of the plates the servers and busboys brought back to be washed. Fucking nasty fuckers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Their food just tastes like frozen food to me.  I'm not a chain food hater either.
View Quote

It's Sysco. My wife owns Sysco stock.

But we don't eat there. I ate in the one here once after it opened and when I bit into the chicken it squawked.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I worked at an Applebee's 20 years ago. I've been back maybe 3 times since then, and they were all because the group whom I was with chose to go there. Once was because it was right next door to the hotel most of a friend's wedding party was staying in and we all went there to drink after the reception. The last time was after a gun show and it was close and the couple I was with wanted to go there. I ordered a steak, which came out to me grey. Steak shouldn't be grey.

I've eaten in some nice restaurants (such as Todd English's Olive in Aspen) and have had the distinct pleasure of knowing and working for other excellent chefs, who've allowed me to eat their food. I know what quality food tastes and looks like. Applebee's is not it.

Applebee's is what is, cookie cutter food for people who either don't care enough to want better, or who don't know enough to expect better. One of the selling points of any chain restaurant, whether it's Applebee's, McDonald's, or even Wolfgang Puck Express, is the fact that you can walk into any of their restaurants, in any city, and the food should be the same.That's good if you're traveling and don't want to play "Dinner Mystery," where you have to wonder if the restaurant is going to have something you'll like on the menu, or if the cook is a semi-literate mouth-breather who can't figure out how to boil water, much less combine ingredients in a pleasing way. At least with Applebee's, the semi-literate mouth-breather slapping the grey steak on the plate, beside the microwaved broccoli, and baked potato will have color pictures to tell him how to make your dinner. If you are traveling and are more willing to accept minimal quality, in exchange for minimal risk, more power to you. If you actually think, however, that Applebee's is anything but minimal quality food, your opinion of food is so low that I wouldn't take it with any one of the more-than-excessive grains of salt Applebee's routinely puts on there steaks.

One thing is certain: Never in my life will you ever hear me utter the words, "Hey, how about Applebee's for dinner tonight?"

I almost forgot to tell you about the dishwashers who worked at the Applebee's where I worked. Both of them, a man and a woman, were borderline retarded and would routinely eat off of the plates the servers and busboys brought back to be washed. Fucking nasty fuckers.
View Quote

To that last bit... apparently every other DW at the place I worked had been an idiot or had too short a fuse. Initially I was a host. One Friday night the DW walked out and the kitchen ran out of clean plates. I made the mistake of being in the kitchen as the manager was trying to figure this out and said "Hey GM, I worked tank at my last job. Want me to tag in?"

After that I was switched to BOH where I was promised the managerial track based on the initiative I'd displayed, but I'd need to work tank for a month or so until a slot opened up. Even back then I was a workahaulic and figured out how to optimize every part of what I did, to the point that I'd figured out optimal plate stacking so that at the end of the dinner rush I was current, had my prep work done, everything that could be pre-cleaned was clean, cans were empty, and the GM caught me reading a magazine. He started rattling off all my responsibilities, each of which was answered with "Done!" After a moment of him looking confused, then checking up on my work, he told me to continue... and continue I did, for 3 fucking months. Every week they kept scheduling me on tank until I threatened to quit unless they started me on the crosstraining program he promised. He flat out said the problem was I was better at tank than anybody they'd had before. Finally I said "Don't you think I'll bring that to the line?"

Eventually they did switch me, but the same thing repeated as fry cook for months. Eventually they let me start cross training on mid but only during lunch and kept scheduling me for fry for dinner... that is exactly what I mean about lowest common denominator on every level, including management. Last time I was in my hometown, I was delighted to see the building boarded up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Garbage food and I can get food for the same price that's way better from a local pub.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

But we don't eat there. I ate in the one here once after it opened and when I bit into the chicken it squawked.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Their food just tastes like frozen food to me.  I'm not a chain food hater either.

SSSSSSSSYYYYYYYYYSSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Decent place to eat in Williston,ND and a fun party in Minot ,ND
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't hate them, just don't eat at chains all that much.

Sysco food is Sysco food - no interest in the bullshit on the walls.

View Quote

This is my main gripe with most 'greasy spoon' restaurants. Everyone's hash browns taste the same, but there's a small war going on between McDonald's fries and Seasoned Curly fries. Ummm...an enterprising breakfast chain could make a BFD out of thier seasoned hash browns, but no one does AFAIK.

Bring on the tasty hash browns!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#18]
haven't had a good wing or fried shrimp there....
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]
What ever happened to Camp Ninja? I think he was a manager there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I have no particular hate against applebee's in particular, but I don't ever get a desire to eat at that *type* of establishment. Plenty of places serving much tastier food with less than 3000 mg of sodium to a serving. Most times I'll prefer to eat at a hippie joint and put up with them if their food actually has some nutritional value.

I've been so far removed from the type of food Applebee's, chili's, etc serve, I feel like shit for a day or two after having it. I think so many people continue to eat that garbage because they have no idea how good it feels to refrain from consuming it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Cold beer and cute girls, what's to hate. If you want good food then obviously AB's isn't the spot, but the one here is miles ahead of tgifs and chilis.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Actually this is true.

The people who never left town (not the ones who establish good lives but the ones who still work at dominos), have three kids with three different dads, or are still wearing letter jackets hang out at Applebys
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a friend who loved one of their cajun alfredo dishes. She ordered it and I ate it. Next week I made one that she absolutely loved, she calls me when she wants alfredo. Seriously most of the dishes you are served at this place can be made at home or damn close to it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We do(next town north) and I like Portillos, but I'm sure the guy I quoted didn't mean chains.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're in the Chicago area, you have to have a Portillo's near you. It is the single thing I miss about not living in Crook county. Burgers, chicken sandwiches, Italian beef sandwiches, are all great. Their chocolate cake is out of this world. If you haven't been there, find one and fo.

We do(next town north) and I like Portillos, but I'm sure the guy I quoted didn't mean chains.

I hit the one here every week or two.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Because this is GD?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#26]
The last four or so times I have gone there the service has sucked.  I have gone a couple of times when there were literally only five people in there dining, that is also counting me and a friend.  Took forever just to get them to come to our table.  The waiters and waitresses were all huddled at a table gossiping and just staring at us.  When a Waiter finally showed up he acted like he had better things to do.  The entire experience sucked.

They can't make up their mind how they will cook your food.  I.E. medium rare.  I usually ask for medium rare, it seems like they can only cook meat that way on certain days at certain hours or some other bullshit like that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I like them. I wish less people did because there is usually a wait on the weekends.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:43:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because they use the same Insta-poop chemical in their food that Pizza Hut uses.

Big. Fucking. Deal.

Done it. The Crunch version used to be my favorite cereal.... before I pretty much quit eating cereal all together. That and Grape Nuts.

No, I'm not shitting you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:46:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Eat and drink local.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:51:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:14:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Food is decent and good deals during happy hour. Cold beer. The bar atmosphere is pretty decent. It's not a Michelin rated place but it's not bad as some make it out to be.
View Quote

I don't drink, thus have only gone there for their overpriced, sucky food.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Wall to wall microwaves in the store in Springfield, MO.  Everything gets put in the microwave before it hits the window.  Grilled food, fried food, sirloin, chicken, veggies, everything.w.  Everything.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I hate chili's Nasty food!

I live Applebees way better
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Food is bad.  Like really bad.  From their microwave to your mouth.  No fucking thanks.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Food is terrible. Happy hour is good
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Applebee's sucks because their food is of lower quality compared even with their direct competitors (which aren't that great themselves).
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#37]
We try to avoid chain restaurants when we can.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Applebee's sucks because their food is of lower quality compared even with their direct competitors (which aren't that great themselves).
View Quote

Barely better than TGI Friday's, which is the best way to waste $20 on microwaved food and weak drinks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#39]
The place does not market itself as a top self joint, therefor, I'm never disappointed.  I'm paying for mid grade food and service and that's what they provide.  The beer is cold and that's what I'm after when I'm there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I used to work in a kitchen one summer that used a wholesaler similar to Sysco and I interned in a retirement village that shared the activities office with the dining coordinator's office; so I've seen all the Sysco food charts(the ones from 4 years ago, anyway) and what you buy to make certain meals.

While I'm sure that Sysco probably has prepackaged meals, yes, they package mass quantities of stuff and send it to chain restaurants.

And for those of you bitching about Sysco, go watch a few episodes of the US Kitchen Nightmares show sometime.  And you'll realize that at one point or another, 'ol Gordon is complaining about canned or packaged ingredients at some point or another, in all those awesome Mom and Pop places that ARFCOM seems to love whilst chastising Applebees at the same time.  Don't get me wrong, I love Mom and Pop places, but one time they can be good and the next time it'd be completely terrible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sysco might deliver the raw meat/potatoes but they're not delivering whole meals that are microwaved.

I used to work in a kitchen one summer that used a wholesaler similar to Sysco and I interned in a retirement village that shared the activities office with the dining coordinator's office; so I've seen all the Sysco food charts(the ones from 4 years ago, anyway) and what you buy to make certain meals.

While I'm sure that Sysco probably has prepackaged meals, yes, they package mass quantities of stuff and send it to chain restaurants.

And for those of you bitching about Sysco, go watch a few episodes of the US Kitchen Nightmares show sometime.  And you'll realize that at one point or another, 'ol Gordon is complaining about canned or packaged ingredients at some point or another, in all those awesome Mom and Pop places that ARFCOM seems to love whilst chastising Applebees at the same time.  Don't get me wrong, I love Mom and Pop places, but one time they can be good and the next time it'd be completely terrible.

This is a good post.  I've eaten at PLENTY of mom and pop places that were not only expensive but the food plain sucked.  Applebee's, like all chain restaurants, aims to provide consistency and in my experience of eating there many times they largely succeed (you can have a bad experience at any restaurant) .  It's not five star food but it tastes good enough and is cheap enough for the non-pretentious.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#43]
They are breaking ground on one here in my town and a few blocks from me. I doubt I will go. We have
several 'bar food' type places like that. They all suck to a degree, and the fucking rednecks
here will make sure to go the extra mile to add some additional suck to it.

Will just stay with Hate Chicken
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#44]
14 years ago my wife was the director of a 160 person call center/claims center for a major health care ins co.
A VP in corporate decided that company wide employees who exceeded goals were to be rewarded with $25 dollor gift certificates for Applebees.  

He told my wife to take one for herself and hand out the rest (29) as she saw fit..
She did.

We went to the local one. We made a mistake and brought our then 2 year old daughter. We made a second mistake and mentioned the gift certificate.

An heated discussion took place among the wait staff. No one wanted to serve us "they have a gift certificate" "they have a kid"
We walked out.

On Monday my wife told corporate and returned the gift certificates.
No more gift certificates for Applebees were given out nation wide.

Fuck Applebees.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SSSSSSYYYYYYYSSSSSSSCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm ok with Applebees though I view it as nothing more than a notch above McDonald's with beer.  Whether or not it is a good value totally depends on where you live.  Hard for some to believe, but lots of people do not live in an epicenter of high quality yet affordable restaurants.

Having said that, if there are options, there are quite a few other chain restaurants I'd rather go to.  Friday's, Texas Roadhouse, Carraba's, etc., and there are quite a few other diner like places around me I'd rather go to with better food.

But that's not the case for everybody.  There are still a lot of towns in America that have one stoplight and a McDonald's.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#47]
What kind of beer and drink prices does Applebee's have during happy?  There is one near our house and I'm always down for cheap beer and eats every now and then.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

What kind of beer and drink prices does Applebee's have during happy?  There is one near our house and I'm always down for cheap beer and eats every now and then.
View Quote

They only have sysco drinks.

DO YOU WANT TO DRINK SYSCO DRINKS???

SYSCO!!!!

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

SYSCO!!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SYSCO!!!!

As long as Sysco serves alcohol I could care less...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#50]
sSSSSSSYYYYYsssssSSSSSsCCCCCOOOOoooooOOOOOqqqQQQQ111!!11!!!11!!!!1!!!!1!!!!1
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top