BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It may be just my bias but the average GD poster seems to be pretty sensitive to recoil.  I think that may have something to do with the GD opinion regarding revolvers.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ounce for ounce the revolver is way more powerful than a pistol.

There's no comparison of the common .357 and .44 magnum ballistics against those of the 9 mm/.40/.45.

It may be just my bias but the average GD poster seems to be pretty sensitive to recoil.  I think that may have something to do with the GD opinion regarding revolvers.  

FIFY

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

My implication was that there was a massive advantage to having 17 + 1 rounds (or a similar number) on tap vs 5-6. I always carry a spare mag for a total of 37 rounds (19 round spare in my case).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You notice nobody ever seems to ask the question "how many 100's of rounds do I need to fire through my revolver until I can trust it?"

Obviously not obsolete and in many ways superior to the pistol. From my perspective, the pistol has a very narrow niche to fill and the revolver is far more versatile.

You notice nobody ever seems to ask the question "is 17 rounds of ammo in a single mag for my carry pistol enough?" Everything has pros and cons. If you shoot avidly, the question you pose is a non issue because you'd already know whether your pistol is reliable or not. The fact that probably 99% of law enforcement officers use a semi-auto high capacity pistol should tell you your assertion that semi-autos fill a very narrow niche is one hell of a fantasy.

Yes, but you never carry an auto with a single mag, regardless of how many rounds are in it due to the fact that if you have a failure you need another mag to get back into the fight after clearing your gun.

My implication was that there was a massive advantage to having 17 + 1 rounds (or a similar number) on tap vs 5-6. I always carry a spare mag for a total of 37 rounds (19 round spare in my case).

But how many people carry a full size pistol for concealed carry? Most peopl seem to go for the smallest gun they can get.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Still buying them................

And I've yet to find a semi auto that will shoot through a coat pocket more then once or twice.

The other side of that, it's harder then most people think to find a RELIABLE semi auto the weight and side of S&W 36 or an Agent. They are FAR more reliable at popping off  cheap .22 rimfire ammo then most .22 semi autos are and on the other end of the spectrum, they can't come close to competing with revolver cartridges like the .454 and .500 without being ridiculously huge and heavy.

Semi auto JHP has come a long LONG way in the past 20 years but a .357 SJHP from 50 years ago is just as effective as anything put out today.

I'll buy "obsolete"  guns like this all day long for hundreds less then the latest new whizbang brass tosser. Both will do just fine at saving your life if you practice with them.

[/img]

Of course if I really wanted an edge, I'd carry a damn rifle over a handgun and put both of them [pistol/revolver in their place as a defensive or offensive weapon.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You notice nobody ever seems to ask the question "how many 100's of rounds do I need to fire through my revolver until I can trust it?"

Obviously not obsolete and in many ways superior to the pistol. From my perspective, the pistol has a very narrow niche to fill and the revolver is far more versatile.

You notice nobody ever seems to ask the question "is 17 rounds of ammo in a single mag for my carry pistol enough?" Everything has pros and cons. If you shoot avidly, the question you pose is a non issue because you'd already know whether your pistol is reliable or not. The fact that probably 99% of law enforcement officers use a semi-auto high capacity pistol should tell you your assertion that semi-autos fill a very narrow niche is one hell of a fantasy.

Yes, but you never carry an auto with a single mag, regardless of how many rounds are in it due to the fact that if you have a failure you need another mag to get back into the fight after clearing your gun.

Read this if you haven't already and then tell me about your spare mag.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes. Anyone that says otherwise has drank too much of the kool aid.

Could I use a typewriter to write papers for college? Sure I could. However that doesn't change the fact that it's obsolete.

Could I use a double action revolver for self-defense? Sure. It's still obsolete though.

Same goes for single action cartridge revolvers, cap and ball revolvers, flintlock pistols, etc.

Revolvers are cool, sexy, and fun to shoot, but are outperformed by semiautomatics in virtually every category.

Semiautos have better triggers, higher capacity, faster reloads, are lighter in weight, etc.

In before someone posts a video of Jerry Miculek reloading his revolver and says "See!!! Revolvers are totally not obsolete guyz!!!!! I mean if one of the world's greatest shooters can reload one fast, then surely my amateur ass can as well!!!"
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There's no comparison of the common .357 and .44 magnum ballistics against those of the 9 mm/.40/.45.
View Quote

I don't think anybody in their right mind is going to argue that getting shot by a 9mm, .40, or .45 is worse than a .357 or 44 magnum. Can you show me where somebody has? Most people saying a modern semi-auto is better say so because of the speed and ease with which to reload it and the number of rounds on tap at your disposal should you need them which outweighs the benefit of more crushed tissue per shot since you get double or even three times the number of rounds in a single reload with more controllable recoil and usually a better trigger leading to more accurate fire.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Just try telling me that this is obsolete. I actually feel a resurgence in the wheel gun coming honestly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly are you implying? You're better off with a revolver because you might get shot  in your hand and might not be able to manage a reload? I mean if that's your point it's a rather poor one since you're probably in the same boat with the revolver and you have even less ammo to put to use. Or are you just saying you can't depend on reloads in general? Because that still doesn't really have much bearing on the fact that you're still ahead in the reserve ammo department. Or are you trying to say that since you possibly might not be able to reload because you could possibly be shot in the hand and if you possibly have a mag failure a revolver is a better choice because it's less likely to experience a failure? I'll stick with my odds using a semi-auto rather than counting on getting shot in my hand.

The poster in question was lucky the aggressor didn't have a Glock or similar gun with a spare mag. Not to mention a thumb safety and grip safety are a detriment in a high stress situation. Those are the points I took from that thread. He also let the fact that he had a gun become known before he used it. Maybe I'm just slow, but I'm not really understanding your point in bringing up that thread. It's a lesson for sure, but I don't think it's the one you're trying to teach.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#9]
i like my S&W model 10.  Need to get a better holster for it.  If I do carry it, it rides in a galco speed scabbard descgned for another revolver.  IT will hold it snugly, but still doesnt fit it exactly right.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Obsolete =/= no longer viable for use as intended.

The revolver has been obsolete for a long time, but is still a perfectly good option for a defensive firearm.
View Quote

This.

I have a snubnose Model 10.  For the same size and weight I can have a Glock 19 sized semi auto, with a much larger capacity of similar performing rounds, that my wife can also shoot and operate.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just try telling me that this is obsolete. I actually feel a resurgence in the wheel gun coming honestly.
View Quote

It's obsolete

$1,300 (~$1,000 street price?) for an 8-shot handgun that weights 35 ounces empty.

Meanwhile for ~$500 I can buy a Glock 20 (10mm) which holds 15+1 rounds and weighs 30 ounces empty.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Overpriced and with a Hillary Hole.

Yup, it's obsolete.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#13]
hell no.......... my CCW is a .357 revolver....it won't ever fail to rack a round
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Good triggers, more accurate than many autos out of the box, makes for fun range trips.
Truly powerful chamberings in a reasonable to carry package keeps the big ones relavent.
Small one fill a niche that some people just don't trust an auto to.
Duty size in non-magnum chamberings, well they pretty much just suit that first thing I said, duty size autos are superior in almost every significant way.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
That is a failure due to Hillary Hole.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#16]
No, my nickel plated S&W Model 10 is still very useful. It doesn't jam and it goes bang every time I pull it's sweet trigger. It's more accurate than my Glock pistol too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't think so,they have their pros and cons like anything else.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Oh my! !!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Show me an auto loader that throws a 125 gr JHP at 1707 fps.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I recently decided on a revolver over an auto, because the auto wouldn't do what I wanted, but the revolver would. I was looking to get a .22 pistol for pest control and plinking on my property. I ended up buying a 10 shot S&W 617.

(not my pic)

It functions fine with all of the ammo that won't feed or cycle in semi auto pistols. 22 short, long, rat shot, Aquila Colibri powderless rounds, CCI Quiet 22 and other subsonic ammo.

It will eat the cheapest shittiest .22 LR ammo and ask for more. This means that if all the good 22 is being neckbearded by fat basement dwellers and all I can find are crappy thunderbolts or golden bullets, it isn't a problem.

A loading block and a speedloader may even be faster and more fun than loading mags, plus I really didn't feel like manually cycling the above ammo after every shot anyway.

The 617 is a great gun, and it certainly is not obsolete.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Still can be found reasonably priced too. Found this Model 60 in 357 that someone bobbed the hammer on  for 325$

Slightly longer barrel and a bit more heft. It goes tomorrow for a action job and a set of springs. Should be GTG.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Then you are shooting some weak shit!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heavy revolvers with 8" barrels have no recoil. At least not for me.

Then you are shooting some weak shit!

The only revolver that I've ever fired that had punishing recoil was an Airweight snub, shooting full power .357 magnum loads.

I've never fired anything more powerful than .357 mag out of a wheelgun, though. My 6" with .357 mag loads is fairly easy to shoot, and 38's have no recoil whatsoever.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I recently decided on a revolver over an auto, because the auto wouldn't do what I wanted, but the revolver would. I was looking to get a .22 pistol for pest control and plinking on my property. I ended up buying a 10 shot S&W 617.

http://semper.xenxnex.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/SW-M617.jpg
(not my pic)

It functions fine with all of the ammo that won't feed or cycle in semi auto pistols. 22 short, long, rat shot, Aquila Colibri powderless rounds, CCI Quiet 22 and other subsonic ammo.

It will eat the cheapest shittiest .22 LR ammo and ask for more. This means that if all the good 22 is being neckbearded by fat basement dwellers and all I can find are crappy thunderbolts or golden bullets, it isn't a problem.

A loading block and a speedloader may even be faster and more fun than loading mags, plus I really didn't feel like manually cycling the above ammo after every shot anyway.

View Quote

I have a 317 and absolutely love it.

Talk about a fun gun.

Me thinks the OP is talking about defensive side arms,  w / their higher capacity, whilst ignoring the sportsman's needs. No biggie.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Given my EDC I'd say no.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Talk about a fun gun.

Me thinks the OP is talking about defensive side arms,  w / their higher capacity, whilst ignoring the sportsman's needs. No biggie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(not my pic)

Talk about a fun gun.

I was actually looking for a model 63 at first but I couldn't find one. And unfortunately for people like me in ban states, the capacity is a non-issue. I'm limited to 10 rounds no matter what.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I like that they are self contained, no mags to stock. The load versatility is cool too. I wouldn't say obsolete, just different.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

1911 was obsolete as soon as double stack auto's showed up to trump its revolver capacity magazines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is a 1911a1 obsolete because it doesn't carry more than 7+1? Not obsolete at all. Seriously, wheel guns just aren't "cool". Not on TV with the ninjas enough.

I have an SP101 tricked by Chuck Weigand's shop (old gun). If it's kissing distance, what happens when the auto gets shoved into a target's gut? I think it's called out-of-battery. Wheel gun goes bang. It isn't what's in my hand that you should fear.....It's what's in my head.

1911 was obsolete as soon as double stack auto's showed up to trump its revolver capacity magazines.

This is an interesting take and probably demands its own thread.  Keep in mind there are double stack 1911s if that is what you feel you need.  So would you say the double stack was obsolete as soon as an AR pistol with surefire 100 rd mag became available?  Where are you drawing the line on what is enough and what obsoletes what?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I like revolvers ,  but I carry a semi most of the time
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#29]
You need to trade that 2nd one to me

Quoted:

I don't have nearly as many wheel-guns as I do semiautos, but here's an old pic...

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/Revolvershelf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/Revolvershelf.jpg</a>

Added a few since that pic...

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SW60left.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SW60left.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SWM19-4left.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SWM19-4left.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SW36-13inleft.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SW36-13inleft.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SW64-1left_zpsfa6453ee.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SW64-1left_zpsfa6453ee.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/OldK-38left_zpse9af1a4d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/OldK-38left_zpse9af1a4d.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/Pythonleft_zps34526056.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/Pythonleft_zps34526056.jpg</a>

There are some revolver enthusiasts here with many, many more than that, of course.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm just here for the revolver porn...

I don't have nearly as many wheel-guns as I do semiautos, but here's an old pic...

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/Revolvershelf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/Revolvershelf.jpg</a>

Added a few since that pic...

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SW60left.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SW60left.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SWM19-4left.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SWM19-4left.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SW36-13inleft.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SW36-13inleft.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SW64-1left_zpsfa6453ee.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/SW64-1left_zpsfa6453ee.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/OldK-38left_zpse9af1a4d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/OldK-38left_zpse9af1a4d.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/Pythonleft_zps34526056.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Revolvers/Pythonleft_zps34526056.jpg</a>

There are some revolver enthusiasts here with many, many more than that, of course.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#30]
For some of you worried about capacity or speed of revolvers (sorry, can't figure out how to embed video on iPhone)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ce2lXteUDB4

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I carry mine on the farm sometimes, but would rather have 2-3X the capacity if I get in to the weeds with a crew of ghetto goblins.

There's a damned good reason why PDs don't issue them any more.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not everyone is Jerry Miculek. That guy shoots thousands upon thousands of rounds a year lol. It's his job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For some of you worried about capacity or speed of revolvers (sorry, can't figure out how to embed video on iPhone)

Not everyone is Jerry Miculek. That guy shoots thousands upon thousands of rounds a year lol. It's his job.

Everyone on here is
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#34]
"Is the revolver obsolete?"

It does what I want done.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If a semi can shoot a full power 44 Mag load (which is the "weakest" of the big game revolver ammo), then yes.

The DE doesn't count because it's a finicky bitch that can't shoot lead.
View Quote

https://www.google.com/search?q=Grizzly+.44%22&client=firefox-a&hs=AhQ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LfXOU8qVLI6syAStvILgBg&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=720
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was actually looking for a model 63 at first but I couldn't find one. And unfortunately for people like me in ban states, the capacity is a non-issue. I'm limited to 10 rounds no matter what.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(not my pic)

Talk about a fun gun.

A 617 is on my short list, the only question is, six or four inch ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Definitely not. I dealt with plenty of people who wanted to carry something simple and didn't want to spend the extra time learning the manual of arms for an auto. A revolver  was perfect for them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

A Browning M2 makes a good choice for a precision rifle too. Carlos Hathcock used one in that role afterall!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a semi can shoot a full power 44 Mag load (which is the "weakest" of the big game revolver ammo), then yes.

The DE doesn't count because it's a finicky bitch that can't shoot lead.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Grizzly+.44%22&client=firefox-a&hs=AhQ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LfXOU8qVLI6syAStvILgBg&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=720

Won't work, according to GD the 1911 is also obsolete
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A Browning M2 makes a good choice for a precision rifle too. Carlos Hathcock used one in that role afterall!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm ok with that, but GD must really hate him:

Hathcock generally used the standard sniper rifle: the Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle with the standard 8-power Unertl scope. On some occasions, however, he used a different weapon: the M2 Browning machine gun, on which he mounted a 10X Unertl scope, using a bracket of his own design. Hathcock made a number of kills with this weapon in excess of 1,000 yards, including his record for the longest confirmed kill at 2,500 yards.] Hathcock carried a Colt M1911A1 pistol as a sidearm.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In my most humble opinion; no it isn't. I still see the revolver as a useful tool for self defense. I personally own and carry revolvers. Even as a BUG when I worked as a patrol cop in Miami-Dade. I carry a well weather worned S&W 642 on my ankle. It served me well.

The compact revolver isn't a gun for a novice shooter. It is a small platform with a big punch. Accuracy is good if you do your part. The J-Frame models like the 642 are perfect for pocket carry. Excellent for a coat pocket because you can have you hand on it ready to go without drawing it. It will function while a small semiauto will jam.

The larger size revolvers still are good for home defense and woods carry. The classic K-Frame in the even more classic .38 Special can still be used to put bad guys down when needed. A .357 Magnum like a 3" Ruger GP100 makes a great woods gun or even a IWB CCW piece.

Right now I have a 3" GP100 had my bedside gun. I rotate my HD guns. Last week was my Gen4 GLOCK 22 and maybe next week will be my S&W 4506-1. After that maybe I'll put my S&W 64 on HD Duty.

In the end, though the semiauto has risen to it's rightful place and is now running great out of the box. The revolver still has some life in her and can fight the good fight.
View Quote

Um, no.  A modern semi auto from a reputable manufacturer will function just as reliably as a revolver.

The revolver is HORRIBLY obsolete, your talking about a platform that directly traces it's roots to 1835 (Colt Patterson).  Revolvers normally carry just 5, or 6 rounds (although some are made for 8), while a typical semi auto carries 13-20 up to 4 TIMES the capacity of the revolver, plus the reloads are quicker on top of that.  I can fire my Glock 22 for instance 16 times before I have to reload, and that's with standard magazines (15+1 in the Chamber) while you would have to reload at least TWICE to fire that many, and I am just reloading for the first time.  If I carry 2 reloads I have 46 rounds on me, if you carry 2 reloads (I have noticed most revolver guys I see don't carry ANY, or only one) you will have only 15-18 rounds.  Add to that the semi auto has a slimmer profile, is generally lighter, and has less recoil.  There is also no cylinder gap that might pose a problem in extreme close quarters, and if grabbed it can still fire at least once, whereas the revolver won't fire at all because the cylinder won't be able to move (assuming you are firing in double action).  Semi Autos also have generally better accuracy to to not having timing, or forcing cone issues, and have direct engagement with the rifling, verses having to first travel through an unrifled cylinder, and through the forcing cone, not to mention a typically longer sight radius.  A semi auto also will usually have a longer barrel for the same size, and will not loose power through the cylinder gap.

A revolver does have the advantage in one area: Power due to having generally much longer cartridges, however this is nullified by the effect of typically very short 2 inch, or less defensive barrels which turn that extra power in to just muzzle whip, report, and flash.  To take advantage of the Revolvers power you would need at least a 4-5 inch barrel, but those typically are not the type most people carry.

A revolver is a good choice for handgun hunting, but not so much defense.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Nothing in the universe will ever be as convenient and reliable to carry as a 642.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

But how many people carry a full size pistol for concealed carry? Most peopl seem to go for the smallest gun they can get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's their prerogative. I carry a 4.25" M&P 9mm with reasonable comfort using a Milt Sparks belt and holster. I have a hard time believing a grown man can't carry something at least the size of a Glock 19. If they're going to puss out and get a pocket pistol then I can see where a revolver might be a worthwhile choice, but I don't puss out and carry a pocket pistol. If I needed a small pistol I'd still carry a Walther PPS or M&P Shield though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A 617 is on my short list, the only question is, six or four inch ?
View Quote

I went for the 4". It has great balance and I can carry it IWB.

LGS owner told me he has been trying to order a 6" 617 for another customer for about 6 months with no luck. It seems that they are popular and S&W doesn't produce enough to keep up with demand.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

IMHO, not that early.  I don't think the revolver was truly obsolete until autos started feeding JHP reliably.

Before about 1980, a .357 Magnum loaded with hollowpoints would be hard to beat as a defensive gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was rendered obsolete in 1911. However, that does not mean it is now useless. I carry one all the time.

IMHO, not that early.  I don't think the revolver was truly obsolete until autos started feeding JHP reliably.

Before about 1980, a .357 Magnum loaded with hollowpoints would be hard to beat as a defensive gun.

I'll go with that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Talk about a fun gun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

(not my pic)

Talk about a fun gun.

No, I mentioned woods gun use.

I have a S&W 617.... love it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Um, no.  A modern semi auto from a reputable manufacturer will function just as reliably as a revolver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The J-Frame models like the 642 are perfect for pocket carry. Excellent for a coat pocket because you can have you hand on it ready to go without drawing it. It will function while a small semiauto will jam.

Reading is fundamental.    Take your oldest coat, and let us know how many shots you get off firing out of your coat pocket.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top