Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2014 10:04:09 AM EDT
I see a lot of hard start and hard stop driving these days....people running right up on the stop signs before climbing all over the brakes at the last minute........do people not see the stop sign coming and anticipate stopping.......I know the brake pad sales have to be up in recent years.......I guess more people are in a big hurry to get somewhere.......I saw a driver today tailgating a guy so close there wasn't an honest 36 inches between the two vehicles ......when I see the wear and tear people are subjecting their cars to it makes me cringe......not really a rant just an observation...carry on
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#1]
no they are just make like cheap crap.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#3]
crap car and crappy drivers....................................
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Cars stop and handle much better than they did back in the day.    People are using that to the fullest extent.

Myself, I'm a coaster.   My front brake pads last 100k and I rarely ever have to touch the rears.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

But crap - get crap.  Buy quality - get quality.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But they don't make cars like the used to. back in the day you got into an accident and people are killed you just hose out the blood and resell the car. Now its totaled and the idiots are alive..
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But they don't make cars like the used to. back in the day you got into an accident and people are killed you just hose out the blood and resell the car. Now its totaled and the idiots are alive..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

when i was a kid it was a big deal to get 100K miles out of a car ...now they want 70% of retail for used car with 100K miles
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Drivers have always been idiots.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I went all the way to Tennesee to buy my used truck  due to the driving habits of people in SW PA.

People here beat their cars like a nine dollar mule.....even the luxury car drivers......jack rabbit starts and hard braking at the last moment

They remind  me of drivers in Eastern Europe or Turkey

The roads are shit too.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see a lot of hard start and hard stop driving these days....people running right up on the stop signs before climbing all over the brakes at the last minute........do people not see the stop sign coming and anticipate stopping.......I know the brake pad sales have to be up in recent years.......I guess more people are in a big hurry to get somewhere.......I saw a driver today tailgating a guy so close there wasn't an honest 36 inches between the two vehicles ......when I see the wear and tear people are subjecting their cars to it makes me cringe......not really a rant just an observation...carry on
View Quote

Cars have more power and better brakes now.  Plus they are lighter.    

Try driving a 1964 beetle.   Drum brakes and 40 horsepower.  
Starts and stops take a little longer.  
0-60 in about 15 minutes.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cars are lighter?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

when i was a kid it was a big deal to get 100K miles out of a car ...now they want 70% of retail for used car with 100K miles
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The vehicle I'm driving has over 200 on the speedo an runs great. I also just recently bought it so most of the miles aren't even mine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Power brakes were actually kind of rare well into the 70's,
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that there are two drivers that affect what you mention.  First - government safety regulations drive a LOT of the design.  Cars used to be tanks.  Of course in a head-on - the engine came back in your lap.  Glass wasn't safety glass.  They weighed a ton - which was okay then because gas was crazy cheap.  So a big, heavy engine could drive that heavy tank.  Few occupant safety features. They two-point lap belt saved you - or it didn't.  (If you really study the 3-point seat belt - its more sophisticated in what it does in a crash than 99% of people understand).   Plastic bumpers and trim became popular due to weight and low cost to replace.

Second:  Consumers see everything as disposable.  They want insurance to cover all costs.  Repair is an inconvenience.  Hell - how many cars on the road haven't seen an oil change in the last 2 years?  People care less about things they own.  Throw it away and get another.

So manufacturers follow consumer demand and dollars.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#16]
The % of idiot drivers is the same,  just more drivers now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Cars are lighter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cars are lighter?

Well, since the 60s-70s.  I guess since the 80s current cars are heavier.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cars are lighter?

Arbitrary example, meet arbitrary counterexample.

1967 Camaro - 3070 pounds
1982 Camaro - 2875 pounds
2014 Camaro - 3856 pounds
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Modern cars last forever compared to older cars.
Used to be 100K miles was a real milestone (pun intended).
Multi-100Ks is now routine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#20]
It is most likely a combination of several factors... heavier cars with numb road feel, traction / stability control, more power and standard anti-lock brakes give drivers a false sense of stability when driving and they push their vehicles harder. Combine that with the general increase in distracted driving (cell phones) and the ever present and persistent scofflaw mentality (speeding, no turn signals, etc) and you have a volatile mixture.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol.

Those who truly believe that "They don't make them like they used to." are looking at past vehicles through very rose tinted lenses.

It took Ford till the mid '90s to even install an odometer that went past 5 digits, just to give you an idea of how long most vehicles were expected to last.

I for one, am really glad they don't make them like they used to. Modern cars are better in every way. Less maintenance, safer, more power, better fuel mileage, and they last far longer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lol.

Those who truly believe that "They don't make them like they used to." are looking at past vehicles through very rose tinted lenses.

It took Ford till the mid '90s to even install an odometer that went past 5 digits, just to give you an idea of how long most vehicles were expected to last.

I for one, am really glad they don't make them like they used to. Modern cars are better in every way. Less maintenance, safer, more power, better fuel mileage, and they last far longer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

Price for a bare bones model is not better for the consumer.  Quite the opposite,
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm waiting for one of those brake at the last minute cock suckers to ram into my back end.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sold my Bonneville at 294,000, buyer is still driving it. Keep oil in it, good coolant, and fix it instead of "the check engine light is on but it runs fine" and 250,000 is nothing. I change oil on 300,000+ mile cars at least twice a week.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Price for a bare bones model is not better for the consumer.  Quite the opposite,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

"Bare bones" car models come with A/C, a stereo with a CD player, Airbags, and Power Windows standard. If you want something truly "bare bones" it will have to be imported.

Even "Bare bones" cars of today are "better". There are no cars of old better than its modern counterpart in any measurable way, other than in the looks department. Yes, this includes ALL of the muscle cars of the era, too. (except for the Shelby Cobra, of which there is no modern equivalent. )

Take off your rose tinted glasses.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I've noticed this too, especially where I live. People really seem to treat their cars like shit and have no concept of long term mechanical wear when you push it like that. One thing I notice a lot of is drivers practically burning rubber once the light turns green only to brake at the last minute at the next stoplight- 500 ft from the previous one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for one of those brake at the last minute cock suckers to ram into my back end.
View Quote

Guy in a five series BMW ate the bumper of my F250 and accused me of 'stopping short' what ever in the fuck that means.

To a Yankee that consistently rolls stop signs and races others to be first to roll through at four ways, I  think it means a lawful complete stop behind the sign.

I have since sucked a second greasy haired Beemer driver into my vortex of doom and don't plan on replacing my bumper until I start leaving my truck 260 miles away from Pittsburgh at my farm.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Guy in a five series BMW ate the bumper of my F250 and accused me of 'stopping short' what ever in the fuck that means.

To a Yankee that consistently rolls stop signs and races others to be first to roll through at four ways, I  think it means a lawful complete stop behind the sign.

I have since sucked a second greasy haired Beemer driver into my vortex of doom and don't plan on repairing my bumper until I start leaving my truck 260 miles away from Pittsburgh at my farm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have since sucked a second greasy haired Beemer driver into my vortex of doom and don't plan on repairing my bumper until I start leaving my truck 260 miles away from Pittsburgh at my farm

and I bet you drove home with barely a scratch while he waited on a rollback.....lol
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

and I bet you drove home with barely a scratch while he waited on a rollback.....lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, radiator into intake manifold, slightly twisted the lower right side of my bumper (he swerved at last moment to impact slightly off center) in a half inch forward towards the sheetmetal
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
People Drivers have always been people idiots.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I disgree. A cheap shit Hyundai from today would shit on a 30 year old Mercedes in every measureable metric.

People are way harder on cars and cars are generally made way better.

Go drive something old you'll see.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

The cheapest car on the market today is about the same as the cheapest car in the 60's and half what a model T cost in price adjusted dollars. These cars are vastly superior in every way.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Cars are less well built these days

People have less knowledge of cars these days

Car manufacturers want people to have less knowledge these days thanks to warranties.

Cars have too much extra shit in them these days - more parts more shit to break

More people = more drivers = more stop and go due to urban sprawl.

All the above
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#34]
People look to the past with too much reverence......Modern autos are fucking incredible compared to 'classics'.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Cars are lighter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cars are lighter?

On average, probably close to 1,000 pounds lighter.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Cars are less well built these days

People have less knowledge of cars these days

Car manufacturers want people to have less knowledge these days thanks to warranties.

Cars have too much extra shit in them these days - more parts more shit to break

All the above
View Quote

Sorry but you're wrong on most of those.

Cars are built far better these days and with better materials and better standard features. Some of you guys are if you think old cars were built better. As said earlier by someone - take a modern car and compare it to it's older counterpart. It will be better in every way except looks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#37]
I drive hard.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Cars are less well built these days Yes, that's why a large percentage of people own modern cars with over 150k miles on them, and they aren't considered used up, like say, a Road Runner with 50k in the mid '70s.

People have less knowledge of cars these days They didn't know shit back then, either, but they got a lot of practice to learn. Don't have to open the hood on a modern car nearly as often, and when you do, its mostly just to check or change fluids.

Car manufacturers want people to have less knowledge these days thanks to warranties. They had warranties back then, too. The difference is that with new cars, you need much more training, and the specialized tools that go with it. The mechanical bits haven't really changed much, but now you have to have a working knowldege of how the electronic engine controls work, and you can't get away with being ignorant about it like you could've in days past. Of course, the flip side to this is that I have no fucking clue on how to tune a carb (but I do know how to read, so I'm pretty confident that I could figure it out, if I needed to).

Cars have too much extra shit in them these days - more parts more shit to break Not going to argue that one, its a fair point. However, most people demand that even the shitbox cars provide some level of comfort, that adds complexity, and price.

All the above
View Quote

As much as I like the looks of the old cars, I'm really glad they don't make them like they used to, back when you were expected to buy a new car every couple of years, because the old one really was used up by then.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because those old cars were deathtraps relatively speaking.

A quality modern car will keep you and your family from significant injury in an accident that would have killed everyone in the car 30-50 years ago, and is significantly less likely to hit anything because it performs so much better in every way.

Modern cars last so long with decent maintenance very few people actually wear them out, they get tired of the wear and tear and want something fresher when all the major components are still going strong.

Wear items last longer than engines did in the 60's, cars are much more complex and much better engineered for the money.

Oh yeah and even a basic v6 Camry will outperform most of the classic musclecars in every way, my 4cyl daily driver station wagon is a full 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 than my '65 SS chevelle was from the factory and uses 1/3 the fuel.

There really isn't any comparison except aesthetics.

Of course some cars are still better than others, and it shows dramatically in resale value.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

A quality modern car will keep you and your family from significant injury in an accident that would have killed everyone in the car 30-50 years ago, and is significantly less likely to hit anything because it performs so much better in every way.

Modern cars last so long with decent maintenance very few people actually wear them out, they get tired of the wear and tear and want something fresher when all the major components are still going strong.

Wear items last longer than engines did in the 60's, cars are much more complex and much better engineered for the money.

Oh yeah and even a basic v6 Camry will outperform most of the classic musclecars in every way, my 4cyl daily driver station wagon is a full 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 than my '65 SS chevelle was from the factory and uses 1/3 the fuel.

Of course some cars are still better than others, and it shows dramatically in resale value.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

This, and all of this!
My favorite, is the people that say "older cars are easier to work on" not realizing that new cars are easy to work on too, you just don't have to repair shit constantly like on old cars, and they tune themselves vs fiddling with janky shit like points and carbs.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#41]
They are certainly stupider, so it would only follow.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cars are lighter?

More arbitrary analysis.

A 1915 Model T weighs 1000 pounds.

A 2014 Ford Fusion weighs 3000 pounds.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

This, and all of this!
My favorite, is the people that say "older cars are easier to work on" not realizing that new cars are easy to work on too, you just don't have to repair shit constantly like on old cars, and they tune themselves vs fiddling with janky shit like points and carbs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

This, and all of this!

This!!!!

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Yes people are harder on cars. And everything else for that matter. Nobody wants to maintain anything. They just use it until it breaks and go buy a new one. It sure seems like people have money to throw around and don't care about making things last. I see people buying new cars and its like well if you woulda taken care of your old one better you coulda gotten a few more years out of it and saved enough money to pay cash for a new one. But they rather have the latest gadget-mobile and a car payment.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I drive hard.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with that as long as you keep both hands on the wheel.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I drive hard.

Wheel is sticky, works like glue.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Maybe it's a lease vs ownership thing?

For a lot of people it might be like treating a rental like shit but for a few years. Do a lot more people lease instead of own nowadays?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have since sucked a second greasy haired Beemer driver into my vortex of doom and don't plan on replacing my bumper until I start leaving my truck 260 miles away from Pittsburgh at my farm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes zero sense. Does your 250 out brake Porsches as well?
Sounds like someone has sour grapes and is slamming his brakes as if it was an emergency stop but there's no emergency.

If so, Karma will get you some day.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#49]
It makes perfect sense in Pittsburgh. Go watch the youtube videos of Russian and other less than respecful for rule of law countries drivers for a similar example of the Yinzer mentality towards social reciprocity.

It is not deliberate, I just don't roll through to accomodate their miscalculation.

Karma is on them preacher, and statistical probaility due to my local demographic (+100k household hood full of new monied Yankees) and the fact my streets are slick eighty year old cobblestoned commuter cut throughs with a grossly ignored 25 mph limit has delivered similar assholes twice.

Maybe Yvonne Yoga mom texting in her SUV will eat it next, only time willl tell, but I will not modify my behavior to suit theirs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

"These days"....when you get old and cranky, that's how you start conversations, huh?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top