Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2014 8:02:52 AM EDT

Okay ARFCOM; don’t fail me now.

My wife and I are looking at a possible change and a move to another state.  Little bit of background about us. We’re both in our early 30s and bilingual speakers. Spanish was both of our first languages. I’m American born of Cuban Parents and she is 100% native born Puerto Rican Boricua. We are a mixed race couple. We’re fiscal conservatives, registered GOP members, practicing Catholics, somewhat libertarian on some social issues (we are 110% against abortion), gun owners and shooters of course, foodies, travelers, love the outdoors, and enjoy a good urban night life.  Career wise I’m a cop and she is a Grants Accountant for a major University. She’s working on her Master’s Degree in Forensic Accounting and getting her CPA while I’m looking at getting my BA and thinking about maybe going into Law.

We lived in Miami and currently live in the near Tallahassee. The quality of life is good but the pay sucks, the lack of career advancement sucks, the lack of culture (we grew up in international towns, we like variety of food, music, etc…) sucks, lack of good restraunts, sideswalk are rolled up by 10pm, and the fact that the area is a Cult to College Football.

We are in very little debt and outright own our home and cars. We also want to start our own business at some point in the future so the new State must be business friendly. If I don’t pursue a Law Degree I want to stay in law enforcement.

So of course I’m here asking GD what does your State offer. How is the pay, housing, taxes, business environment, night life, outdoors, politics, etc?

For our Florida Members, why should we stay?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#1]
TL;DR

Answer is Arizona
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll hate it up here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Why the fuck would you move up north?

I'm up here and I want to get down there

How about another FL location such as Naples or something with a bit less heavy city?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Asheville area
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For our Florida Members, why should we stay?

View Quote

Because there aren't enough of you/us.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#6]
not Oregon or Washington.. go to Cali.. its really nice there..
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#7]
NY

go straight to NYC.  i hear its awesome.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#8]
California, New York or the Chicago area.
I hear the constitutional freedom is overflowing in those places.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Pics of the wife and her sisters.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#10]
You guys may like Austin, as long as you can handle the extreme liberal influence, god awful traffic, summer heat, and the high cost of living.  

Personally, I'm looking to leave eventually and head out to Idaho, assuming I could find work there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I think you should move to Florida. I hear it's nice there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You guys may like Austin, as long as you can handle the extreme liberal influence, god awful traffic, summer heat, and the high cost of living.  

Personally, I'm looking to leave eventually and head out to Idaho, assuming I could find work there.
View Quote

Man I hate it when there are so many cities with the same names.  I never knew there was an Austin in Somalia.... also, I figured they would have been a bit more on the conservative side though and lower on the cost of living...the heat i know about is extreme.... but I guess you learn something new everyday
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Somalia named one of its cities Austin? That's crazy!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Northern Va

the DC food and culture is awesome
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Just saw your HTF post. If you are interested in CO, shoot me an IM and I can answer any questions you have brother
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Detroit
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#17]
If you are going to remain a LEO...

Consider cross certification requirements at your destination. You may only need a short comparative compliance course or you may need a full academy...

Also pay varies wildly across the country but for the most part, LEO jobs don't pay well.

I personally would consider Tenn...

Lots of jobs seem to be heading to TX and SC
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Tampa Bay has what you seek.

That's why I moved away from there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Just saw your HTF post. If you are interested in CO, shoot me an IM and I can answer any questions you have brother
View Quote
Sweet... thanks!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#20]
There is nothing to see here. This is not the state you're looking for....
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I am in the same boat.  I can move and live anywhere I like.  I am in AZ now, but might move soon.  Just not sure where.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Asheville area
View Quote

Liberal Black Hole in Paradise.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Texas
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Asheville area
View Quote

If he doesn't like the pay where he is, he likely won't be any happier in NC.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Nevada needs more republicans. No income tax. Business friendly. Reno-Sparks area is urban with 24 hour night life. World class ski areas. Las Vegas if you like it. 87% of the state is owned by the .gov so plenty of outdoor recreation with out posted signs every where.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Tennessee has no state income tax, good gun laws and a strong economy (last I knew)
View Quote

Just don't drive around with cash in your pocket.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Asheville area

Well, the scenery is definitely better.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#29]
You wouldn't like Utah. Not a lot of diversity, nightlife, etc.. The restaurant scene sucks.   I'd imagine pay would be a lot less than you're getting now in your fields as well.  Though the cost of living is probably cheaper than Florida.

I can't believe I'm going to say this this, but California probably has what you are looking for.  San Diego, San Francisco, or LA.  (spent 30 years of my life living in southern CA)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#30]
If you hadn't said nightlife I'd have suggested little rock.  But out nightlife is rather limited,  especially for the non criminal element.  COL is cheap,  Little Rock patrol officers make good money,  great for the area.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#31]
All off the list are California, New York, and New Jesery. Not gun friendly. Massachusetts is no except for work if I live on the New Hampshire side of the border.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#32]
NH...that's where I moved to from RI
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#34]
You want culture where guns are also supported?  Visit Montgomery.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Move to CALIFORNIA........we need your vote.

(yes, I know......I know......I know...)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#37]
You will regret moving up north OP
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Montana

Pay: low
Housing: expensive
Taxes: high state income tax (but hey, no sales tax)
Business environment: poor
Night life: only exists on Friday night
Outdoors: well, that's one thing we have. It is said you are paid in scenery
Politics: conservative but we get a bunch of shithead liberal transplants from California and Seattle
Weather: fucking cold in the winter, but if the state isn't choked out by smoke from forest fires ( like it currently is) the summer is the best there is

Overall, I don't think you would like it here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Somewhere in Northern Virginia.

Can't really get NFA there without a trust, but if you lived somewhere in Fairfax you could goto the Rosslyn area of Arlington for urban night life, that's what it's best for IMO. Income tax is pretty ridiculous though.

I've been looking at GA myself.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Is this another one of those threads where everyone talks about why their state is the best?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Asheville area

Brevard would be much better for an outdoorsman, the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill and Charlotte areas for someone with more urban tastes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Tennessee has no state income tax, good gun laws and a strong economy (last I knew)
View Quote

This or Texas
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Burnet County, TX
Llano County, TX

I'll be returning soon...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Georgia has a lot in the Atlanta area
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#45]
New Orleans.?
Food culture? Check
Latino Resurgance post Katrina? Check
Lack of Spanish speaking people? Check
Gun laws good? Check
Climate? Same as you are experiencing now. Check.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Georgia has a lot in the Atlanta area
View Quote

Don't take this the wrong way because I love certain areas of GA, but I wouldn't live or work in ATL for $500k a year.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Nothing but dumb ole hicks and skeeters in MS.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Phoenix, Arizona is awesome for recreational shooters. Arizona as a whole is very nice for hunting and hiking. A majority of the land is owned by the state and the federal government, meaning you can hike nearly anywhere you want. Being Arizona is one quarter Hispanic according to the census, and full of illegal immigrants who don't speak English, it shouldn't be too hard for a Spanish speaking JBT such as yourself to get a law enforcement job.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, we even have a similar motto, except ours is "keep Austin starving and on khat".  It's great, unless you dislike black people, than it kinda sucks being Africa and all.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Chula Vista CA. It's a suburb of San Diego.

You'll get a 5k signing bonus and laterals will take in 60k plus to start. More than 80k after 5 years.

Plenty of work for the wife as well.

You're a LEO so you will not be subject to CA's restrictive gun laws.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top