Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/21/2014 7:43:32 PM EDT
This spring I took up trail running on a regular basis. The trails I run most often are on the grounds of a local public park. They are fairly rugged and very secluded in a heavily wooded back part of the park.

I like running there because they are secluded and quiet. All the old folks, dog walkers and Girl Scout troops stick to the paved trails near the parking lots. I run these trails 4 days a week and I might see one or two other runners a week and the occasional couple of horny teenagers traipsing out of the woods.

Tonight I encountered something a bit odd.

On the furtherest back part of the trail, on my third pass on a 1.3 mile loop, I met two guys walking along in street clothes. They were of different ethnic backgrounds and there appeared to be a 10-15 year difference in their ages. When we met, I started to speak like I normally do, but both made a point of keeping their heads down and not making eye contact.

A bit odd, especially considering this was my third lap but my first time meeting them. My initial thought was that maybe they were a couple undercover homos and they were embarrassed, especially considering the only time I see people on on these trails in street clothes are the aforementioned teenagers.

I ran on another 75 yards or so and when a smell literally stopped me in my tracks.

Decomp.

What the fuck, I'm thinking, did those two guys just dump a fucking body out here?!?!

The odor is very strong, like gag inducing strong, and unmistakable. Keep in mind, this is my fourth run on this trail in a week, and the third time I've passed this very spot tonight, yet I had not smelt it before.

I look around in the brush near the trails but see nothing. Nothing dead, no drag marks, no obvious signs of people having crashed through the surrounding brush.

Try as I might, I could not pinpoint the location of the source of the smell but I could only smell in that one spot.

I run more lap and never encounter the men again but sure enough, the smell was still there.

Although this was the most secluded part of the park it's also only a couple hundred yards through dense brush to a cemetery and a highway. It made me think of that funeral home in Georgia a few years ago that was dumping bodies in the woods instead of burying or cremating them.

Maybe they were dumping a dead dog or poached deer. Maybe it was just a coincidence and the smell had nothing to do with the guys. Whatever it was, it was enough to make me slow down and walk the final lap and keep my hand a bit closer to my pistol.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#1]
It was a hooker that had reached her "sell by" date.  They're useless after that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
.... hmmmm, odd
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
CSB in
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Taggeroo...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a dog there it will find it
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.... hmmmm, odd
View Quote

I know. Not really enough to call the rangers but I still can't stop thinking about it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Prolly a coupla zombies partway through the process...  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Dibs on guns, ammo, and optics....

Just in case
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know. Not really enough to call the rangers but I still can't stop thinking about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... hmmmm, odd

Call it in

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably something died in the woods, unrelated to the activities of the two lover boys.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Probably wouldn't hurt to call a ranger or someone with a dog.. I'm sure they could pinpoint the source of the smell fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Call it in man.  If I had a weird feeling like that it would keep eating at me.

ETA:  wonder how many missing persons were never found b/c people felt too silly to follow their gut?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Call it in

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... hmmmm, odd

Call it in

And say what? I saw some guys walking on a walking trail and BTW, I think something is dead in the woods? It sounds kind of crazy but it as one of those things were you really had to be there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... hmmmm, odd

What could hurt?  Trust your gut.  The story is hinky so at least do your part.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Meh call it in.

Or smell dead bodies on your runs for awhile.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Probably unrelated, but any time you smell decomp in a public place, it's a good idea to call the cops, just in case.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And say what? I saw some guys walking on a walking trail and BTW, I think something is dead in the woods? It sounds kind of crazy but it as one of those things were you really had to be there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... hmmmm, odd

Call it in

If it is bugging you that much, just call.

Preface it by saying "This is probably nothing, but it just struck me as weird, and I just wanted to tell someone about it."

The rest is up to them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... hmmmm, odd

Call it in

Tell them.  If they don't want to follow up on it, that's up to them.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't want my dog rolling on a dead hooker.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Call it in

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... hmmmm, odd

Call it in

forward the link to this thread, too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... hmmmm, odd

Call it in

Yes.

You highlighted the pertinent facts in your op.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, I agree.  Just say that they seemed suspicious and you smelled dead body.  I get where you're coming from, but piece of mind is worth it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Call the popo  worst case they go out there and get some exercise best case you help solve a possible crime
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I would not have made that last lap.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe you were smelling "Santorum"?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#27]
How do you carry when you're running?

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maybe you were smelling "Santorum"?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I would have made note of the time and location, possibly checked up on it tomorrow in the light.

Trust your gut.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok, I called but the ranger office closed when the park closed at 10:00 pm. I'll call again first thing in the morning and report the smell. If it turns out to be anything I'll give the details of the guys. I've pretty much got a photographic memory when it comes to faces and if needed I could give head to toe descriptions of their clothing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Good job man
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How do you carry when you're running?

View Quote

In a Galco belly band under over a dry fit compression shirt and under a loose fitting T shirt. Just a pistol, spare mag, CCDW card and Streamlight PT1L.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP, I agree.  Just say that they seemed suspicious and you smelled dead body.  I get where you're coming from, but piece of mind is worth it.
View Quote

This.   Of course their first question will no doubt be "how do you know what a dead body smells like?"
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... hmmmm, odd

Call it in

If that was on your first lap then I would agree, but you said this is your third lap.  This indicates you passed that exact same spot twice and smelled nothing, right?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#35]
start writing everything down now
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Hiding the last evidence of shawns fo, maybe?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#37]
You'd be amazed how many dead bodies are out there.

Years ago I ran a search, had about 3000 people over a couple of weeks doing semi-organized searches in urban/suburban areas. My groups found 6 bodies in that time. Homeless, crime victims, and a car crash victim that had been there for a while....

There's more stuff out there than you can believe.

I'd call it in.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If that was on your first lap then I would agree, but you said this is your third lap.  This indicates you passed that exact same spot twice and smelled nothing, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... hmmmm, odd

Call it in

Yes, exactly. That's the odd part.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would not have made that last lap.
View Quote

No shit. I'd have been calling in when I smelled funkiness my 4th time past that place, after the first 3 had no funky smell.

Then I would vacate the area to a well lit area and wait for cops to take my statement, if they cared enough to do so.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#41]
What would they have dumped that already smelled of decomp? They would have had to have drug a decomposing carcass through the woods to dump it where you smelled whatever..... all the while hoping no one noticed them.

Unless they dug up a hooker they had previously buried, then chances are there was just a shift in the wind causing you to smell some kind of dead animal.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Especially descriptions of the two inappropriately attired "nature lovers."
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Is it too early for a "He who smelt it dealt it" joke?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

First guy was early 30s and appeared to be black/Hispanic mix. 5-10" 160-170 lbs, short cropped fade, thin mustache and soul patch. Wearing red and white And1 brand basketball shorts and shirt and with and black Nikes and black socks.

Second guy was mid-late 40s and white. 6ft tall, 230-240 lbs with protruding pot belly. Thick wavy salt and pepper hair, thin framed glasses, clean shaven and cleft chin. Wearing pleated khakis, brown leather boat shoes and a white short sleeve golf shirt with a green crest logo.

Like I said, photographic memory.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This spring I took up trail running on a regular basis. The trails I run most often are on the grounds of a local public park. They are fairly rugged and very secluded in a heavily wooded back part of the park.

I like running there because they are secluded and quiet. All the old folks, dog walkers and Girl Scout troops stick to the paved trails near the parking lots. I run these trails 4 days a week and I might see one or two other runners a week and the occasional couple of horny teenagers traipsing out of the woods.

On the furtherest back part of the trail, on my third pass on a 1.3 mile loop, I met two guys walking along in street clothes. They were of different ethnic backgrounds and there appeared to be a 10-15 year difference in their ages. When we met, I started to speak like I normally do, but both made a point of keeping their heads down and not making eye contact.

A bit odd, especially considering this was my third lap but my first time meeting them. My initial thought was that maybe they were a couple undercover homos and they were embarrassed, especially considering the only time I see people on on these trails in street clothes are the aforementioned teenagers.

I ran on another 75 yards or so and when a smell literally stopped me in my tracks.

Decomp.

What the fuck, I'm thinking, did those two guys just dump a fucking body out here?!?!

The odor is very strong, like gag inducing strong, and unmistakable. Keep in mind, this is my fourth run on this trail in a week, and the third time I've passed this very spot tonight, yet I had not smelt it before.

I look around in the brush near the trails but see nothing. Nothing dead, no drag marks, no obvious signs of people having crashed through the surrounding brush.

Try as I might, I could not pinpoint the location of the source of the smell but I could only smell in that one spot.

I run more lap and never encounter the men again but sure enough, the smell was still there.

Although this was the most secluded part of the park it's also only a couple hundred yards through dense brush to a cemetery and a highway. It made me think of that funeral home in Georgia a few years ago that was dumping bodies in the woods instead of burying or cremating them.

Maybe they were dumping a dead dog or poached deer. Maybe it was just a coincidence and the smell had nothing to do with the guys. Whatever it was, it was enough to make me slow down and walk the final lap and keep my hand a bit closer to my pistol.
View Quote

Quoted:
Ok, I called but the ranger office closed when the park closed at 10:00 pm. I'll call again first thing in the morning and report the smell. If it turns out to be anything I'll give the details of the guys. I've pretty much got a photographic memory when it comes to faces and if needed I could give head to toe descriptions of their clothing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decomp.

Quoted:

Haha.

Photographic memory. I didn't so much notice at the time, but it's like I can freeze frame a picture in my memory and look at the details. I can do the same thing with cars, landscapes, paintings, etc.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#47]
another vote for call it in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I hope you don't end up being the guy that keeps finding bodies...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Have you tried Craigslist - Missed Connections?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm guessing that the guys were just there for a quickie and that the smell was unrelated.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top