Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/21/2014 5:26:12 PM EDT
Who's been to an Appleseed shoot?  Thoughts?

I'm thinking of going and taking a Garand, cause...Garand!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It's  "alright".  Basic marksmanship. Instructors... meh.  Story time... meh

Better than nothing
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Bring a 22 with Iron sights (i.e. 10-22 with tech sights) and lots of ammo (1k rounds) or arrange for a loner ahead of time
learn the fundamentals first then deal with muzzle blast and recoil later ( the fundamentals are exactly the same)
you can buy a 10-22 or the Appleseed marlin for the price of ammo alone if you shoot a M1 for two days at an Appleseed
last one I ran we shot 960 rounds of aimed fire in two days
the course of fire is mostly at 25 meters
get to the website and review the what to bring section and bring it with extra water
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah, for the price of 30-06 you could probably just buy an appleseed setup Marlin 795 or 25th anniversary 10/22. Its a good class for people who don't know or understand basic marksmanship fundamentals or sling use.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]

I did it and loved it.  Its pretty much accelerated basic rifle marksmanship.  The history lessons were awesome.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It's fun. I did it two times. Used a 10/22. By the end of day 2 I was sore from all up and down exercise.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Its on my to do list.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Do it. You won't be disappointed. Two days of solid instruction for $60.

I know of no other nationwide organization that is both 1) more effective at teaching positional rifle marksmanship and 2) more dedicated to promoting our heritage of liberty.

Brianf31
Project Appleseed Instructor
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Better than nothing
View Quote

Better than most rifle shooters in America, given that barely 15% of shooters can score Expert at either 25 yards OR the actual known distances.

Got your Rifleman patch on the first try, did ya?  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#9]
You will be very frustrated with the Garand, if you are serious about trying to score Expert...unless you already have a ton of practice reloading and handling 2-round clips.

The suggestions about bringing a .22 instead are sound advice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Better than most rifle shooters in America, given that barely 15% of shooters can score Expert at either 25 yards OR the actual known distances.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Better than nothing

Yeah..I did..

with an M1A  and beat "fred" while I did it...

But this was before it was ever called "appleseed"...

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Its a revenue generation scam. That said, you get to shoot guns, so how bad can it be?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone thinking about doing one should go for it.
If the round count is getting too high, just sit out some of the repetitive strings.
Bring the gun you like to shoot. Make it fun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone thinking about doing one should go for it.
If the round count is getting too high, just sit out some of the repetitive strings.
Bring the gun you like to shoot. Make it fun.
View Quote

Key point, right there.

Too tired, or want to conserve ammo?  Sit out a few strings.

Even better, practice getting into the various sling positions and/or dry-firing during those strings.

I had to practice on the sitting position 3-4x as much as the other positions before I was good enough to get Expert (on my 2nd AS).
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I know of no other nationwide organization that is both 1) more effective at teaching positional rifle marksmanship and 2) more dedicated to promoting our heritage of liberty.

Brianf31
View Quote

Is USMC a national organization?

There was a guy here who claimed that an Appleseed was as good at teaching rifle marksmanship as Marine boot. Which is horseshit, of course....volunteers at a two-day course can't possibly compare to two solid weeks with professional PMIs.

That said, I think the Appleseed is a great program for beginners. Just be realistic about what to expect, and realize that simulated 500 yard targets are not the same as learning to shoot with wind at 500 yards.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/DSC00034.jpg

yes

I was talking to the hippy, not you.  

Good job...I presume the fog made things awkward.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Militia training camps, your lic plates are being logged into a national fed database........
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There was a guy here who claimed that an Appleseed was as good at teaching rifle marksmanship as Marine boot. Which is horseshit, of course....volunteers at a two-day course can't possibly compare to two solid weeks with professional PMIs.

That said, I think the Appleseed is a great program for beginners. Just be realistic about what to expect, and realize that simulated 500 yard targets are not the same as learning to shoot with wind at 500 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brianf31

Some of the Appleseed instructors were PMIs, though.

On a related note: very few shooters who were (claiming to be) Army, Navy, Air Force, OR Marines make Expert on their first weekend.  (Of course, it's possible some of them just claim to be military to get a discount on the weekend... )
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been planning to go with my 13 y.o. son.  I figure that, for his benefit,  the shooting time and the history component are each worth at least the $60. If the shooting is the carrot to get him to absorb some history he won't learn in school, I'm good with that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a good time and learned a lot.  

I brought a non-FF AR and the sling does mess with POI.  The mag can interfere with your arm too.

In hindsight, a 10/22 with Tech Sights would have been a better choice.

Member jlficken got his rifleman badge with an otherwise stock 10/22 w/ Tech Sights and a 87# factory trigger.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've been planning to go with my 13 y.o. son.  I figure that, for his benefit,  the shooting time and the history component are each worth at least the $60. If the shooting is the carrot to get him to absorb some history he won't learn in school, I'm good with that.
View Quote

And that, sir, is the real goal. Good on ya.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I went ages ago when I was a wee lad.

It was fun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Brianf31

View Quote
Agreed. Did my first shoot this year. You bet I'll be back. Great experience and in no way meh with the instructors I had.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not saying the training is horrible or that it is too basic.

I am saying the quality of instructor is...highly variable.  The way they run it too, is a bit "rushed" too.  They pull you into a group and show a technique, then you go back to the line and immediately fire it.  Very little, to no time to "dry practice" it and get corrections, find positions.

Then the breaks for stories should be cool... but are pretty lame and a time waster. Stuttered by some guy who thinks he's james earl jones.

As for my scores. I did okay for using a gun with a broken rear sight (literally half the sight was missing).

I didnt get my super cool patch. Maybe if we spent more time practicing positions and correcting them instead of listening to a shitty retelling of common history, I would have.

Other than that... it's fun to shoot stuff.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Attitude is everything, clearly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

You know there is a thing called the KD (Known Distance) Appleseed?  It does go out to 400+ yards.

Got my patch on my first appleseed, now scoring in the 230's in the last few shots I went to.

I was skeptical at first and thought I knew how to shoot, but after going to one it was an eye opening experience on how many things I was doing wrong.  On my first day I couldn't even get the loop sling right without help.  My appleseed rifle is a take down 10/22 with a cheap walmart special tasco (didn't have the $ to splurge on tech sights at the time).

It is the best $60 dollars you'll ever spend on a 2 day rifle marksmanship class, it'll save you bucket loads of $ after you've learned how to make every shot count and stop turning money into noise.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#28]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1396998__ARCHIVED_THREAD____doing_an_appleseed_shoot_tomorrow.html&page=1

Here is a "stream of consciousness" review as it happened from my appleseed class.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't recall saying Appleseed was "as good as Marine training".    More like many Marines would benefit from it (as anyone would from the repetition of the basics).

OP it's worth the minimal fee to get two days of fairly intensive training.  As others have said the instruction can vary from incredible to OK as can the story telling.

So be it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Attitude is everything, clearly.
View Quote

Interestingly, you posted in my  appleseed thread. Go back and read it.

The criticisms are as valid today as they were when I posted them.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I did it with my dad and had a great time.  I used a 10/22 sporter that I bought for it (because of the factory sling swivels) and my dad used a marlin 795.

ETA:  We both used aftermarket sights though.  Williams firesights for me, Tech Sights for him.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I learned a lot of good things about marksmanship. The history lessons seemed a bit fantastic, but I get the point.

Only thing I didn't like was the number of oddballs that showed up. I'd probably do it again, but this time stay at a hotel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I learned a lot of good things about marksmanship. The history lessons seemed a bit fantastic, but I get the point.

Only thing I didn't like was the number of oddballs that showed up. I'd probably do it again, but this time stay at a hotel.
View Quote

For me it was pretty much all families of 2-4.  Our instructors were pretty cool as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#34]
What are you guys talking about???  How about a little background?  I want to take my 13yo nephew to a formal training course and this sounds like something worthwhile!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#35]
For those who have never been taught how to shoot a rifle properly its a great experience and you will learn something new for not a lot of money. For hard charging operators like some here, its kind of low rent and for the newbies.

If you got a good attitude you will get your 40 or 60 bucks or what ever it is out of it. If you are a know it all slick shit killer like some arm chair commandos in here then don't waste your time.

I did it once and learned a thing or two about how to properly shoot a rifle. I got my marksman badge on day two.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What are you guys talking about???  How about a little background?  I want to take my 13yo nephew to a formal training course and this sounds like something worthwhile!
View Quote

As long as he understand the 4 rules and knows which end is the dangerous end then this would be great for 13 year old.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Click on Appleseed and Schedule.  There are also plenty of youtube videos about what to bring and how to prepare.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It'll teach you how to do this at 200 yards prone (her first Appleseed)

Kids tend to enjoy it!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Go.

Have a good time with like minded people.

I have been to 3 and going again in August.

I like to shoot their program.

I have used my AR, M1a and 10/22.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bring a 22 with Iron sights (i.e. 10-22 with tech sights) and lots of ammo (1k rounds) or arrange for a loner ahead of time
learn the fundamentals first then deal with muzzle blast and recoil later ( the fundamentals are exactly the same)
you can buy a 10-22 or the Appleseed marlin for the price of ammo alone if you shoot a M1 for two days at an Appleseed
last one I ran we shot 960 rounds of aimed fire in two days
the course of fire is mostly at 25 meters
get to the website and review the what to bring section and bring it with extra water
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Just came out too!

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't recall saying Appleseed was "as good as Marine training".    More like many Marines would benefit from it (as anyone would from the repetition of the basics).

OP it's worth the minimal fee to get two days of fairly intensive training.  As others have said the instruction can vary from incredible to OK as can the story telling.

So be it.
View Quote

There are plenty of Marines wearing pizza boxes, so your statement would likely be correct. Being a Marine doesn't make someone an expert shooter. It means they were taught the necessary tools to qualify as expert.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes, you should do it.

No, if you already know how to shoot a rifle, you won't learn anything, but it's good practice anyhow.  That, and a day at the range beats a day working, no matter the conditions.

Note:  Most people who think they can shoot a rifle... can't.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:31:44 AM EDT
[#44]
I enjoyed it very much.

I learned formal shooting positions and how to use a sling.  For those who have not used one it makes a big difference.  My scores go from the low 200s to the 230s when I add the sling.

I am currently working with my kids in anticipation of going as a family.

My son is shooting low 200s and I am sure will make rifleman, the daughters may or may not, but all are enjoying shooting which is what it is all about.  For a family it is a great way to spend some time together and get the next generation shooting.

You have to enjoy it for what it is- like minded volunteers who want to teach and encourage people to shoot.  If you are looking for Larry vickers or Pat Rogers you will be frustrated.  That said, I would guess that the majority of shooters will learn shooting as the average carbine course does not focus on the fundamentals of position and sling use.

+1 on the 10/22 and tech sights.  A sling is also a must.  A $30 volquartsen? Hammer will give you a great trigger pull as well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:50:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Went a few years ago. Had a good time.  Smaller class so we shot our qualifier on first day and I got my rifleman. (Actually got high score for the weekend and won a Tshirt)

If you haven't been I would encourage you to do it. They are way less focused on bench rest accuracy as actually hitting a man sized target consistently and quickly.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Note:  Most people who think they can shoot a rifle... can't.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:41:58 AM EDT
[#47]
I went years ago and brought my youngest son, who was then 15.

First half of the course, he shot my 10/22 with Tech Sights, and I shot my AR15A2. Second half, we switched rifles, which was a real thrill for him because he was fascinated by the AR.

Find out ahead of time what range you'll be using. I thought we would be at my club's regular rifle range, but it was held at the blackpowder range, which was 25 yards. My 10/22 was zero'd for 50 yards and my AR was zero'd for 200. Getting the AR on target didn't take long, but getting the 10/22 on target took some time.

If you want to pre-load magazines, you'll be shooting 2 and 8. Bring a shooting mat for prone position.

Shooters at my Appleseed were very close together, so I constantly had hot brass going down the back of my shirt, getting stuck between my eyes and my shooting glasses, whacking me on the side of the head...

The history portion was OK. I'm a serious history nut, so I knew it better than they did. Presentation/speaking skills are important if you want to effectively communicate. The instructors need to go to an Appleseed on public speaking.

Our regular range has covered shooting lanes and vending machines and air-conditioned restrooms. The blackpowder range was a shadeless 95 degrees with no water and one porta-potty. Bring plenty of water and a lunch.

Appleseed won't make you cream your shorts, but everyone ought to try it.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:55:05 AM EDT
[#48]
It is very good marksmanship training and the history lesson is valuable as well.  Additionally the price is unmatched for the quality of training you get.

If you can walk away from any training and have not learned something new you were not paying attention or are too arrogant.  

I do recommend you stretch and practice the shooting positions as best you can before going.  I didn't because I was too arrogant and was hurting bad the second day.  That seated position is like yoga with a gun!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:59:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Its a revenue generation scam. That said, you get to shoot guns, so how bad can it be?
View Quote

You wanna back that statement up?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#50]
My wife and I have done multiple events and have both earned our Rifleman patch.  I consistently shot expert when I was in the Army and still learned quite a bit.  We both learned a lot about April 19, 1775 and believe all Americans should understand the significance of the events that day.

Have an mind open to learning and enjoy!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top