BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To answer the original question, I like it. It's is an attention booster that doesn't involve caffeine or nicotine. The foods I make taste good. Habaneros taste good. Ghost peppers taste great.

The above happens all the time for me. We occasionally have department potlucks. Since a very small number of students/professors are actually from the US, they tend to be pretty interesting. I always bring some kind of Mexican food. Even my "gringo" recipes fuck people up.

ETA: Peppers are a negative net calorie food. I think they'd be great for weight loss; make the food spicy enough that it is slightly uncomfortable, but not so spicy you can't eat it. You will eat less. I use the same approach to cooking because I would eat a metric fuck ton of food otherwise.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took a friend and his wife to a local fast food Mexican place. Ordered carne asada burritos and told them, no, it isn't hot.

So I'm eating my burrito, adding on lots of hot sauce, and they couldn't finish the burritos even without the additional hot sauce. Too hot. Yeah, sorry, I considered them to be quite mild.
To answer the original question, I like it. It's is an attention booster that doesn't involve caffeine or nicotine. The foods I make taste good. Habaneros taste good. Ghost peppers taste great.

The above happens all the time for me. We occasionally have department potlucks. Since a very small number of students/professors are actually from the US, they tend to be pretty interesting. I always bring some kind of Mexican food. Even my "gringo" recipes fuck people up.

ETA: Peppers are a negative net calorie food. I think they'd be great for weight loss; make the food spicy enough that it is slightly uncomfortable, but not so spicy you can't eat it. You will eat less. I use the same approach to cooking because I would eat a metric fuck ton of food otherwise.

The same could be accomplished with Arsenic, eat to much, and you die.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Heat (AKA Capsaicin) doesn't effect the taste-buds at all. It transmits the nerve endings in the (mammal) brain as pain. It doesn't effect reptiles, birds, fish, amphibians, ect...    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My tastebuds aren't bitch-made
Heat (AKA Capsaicin) doesn't effect the taste-buds at all. It transmits the nerve endings in the (mammal) brain as pain. It doesn't effect reptiles, birds, fish, amphibians, ect...    

Which is why it never made sense to me, it adds nothing to flavor that you couldn't get with non hot peppers, it just adds pain.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow! This is amazing! It sounds like the OP was born with a pussy for a mouth! The only question is, is it a purty one? I bet peppers make him squeal like a pig!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like spicy foods.  

I didn't grow up in a house where we cooked with many peppers at all.  My parents still aren't particularly fond of any of them, even mild jalapenos.

For me, it was dating a girl who was into spicier foods+allergies.  Nothing clears out my sinuses quite as well as some good spice, and when I moved away from home and developed allergies, spicy foods helped combat how congested and stuffy I get.

I went from not liking anything spicier than restaurant salsa to growing my own jalapenos, serranos, thai peppers, cayennes and habeneros.  

There is no such thing as a "mild Jalapeno.

Which is more "mild"?:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121231165126/uncyclopedia/images/archive/3/35/20121231165141!Mushroom-cloud.jpghttp://www.atomicarchive.com/Effects/Images/WE12.jpg

You do realize that not everyone is affected the same way you are right?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I didn't even know Taco Bell had a buffalo sauce, but I can't imagine it's very hot.  Does ketchup make you sweat?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I never eat at "authentic" Mexican restaurants, I do not believe them when they say "mild".  They lie, they always lie.

Even the "buffalo sauce" at Taco Bell is to much for me.
I didn't even know Taco Bell had a buffalo sauce, but I can't imagine it's very hot.  Does ketchup make you sweat?  

They do, it's that whitish orange colored stuff.  At least here they used to have a "buffalo chicken" griller, or something like that, i think they still do.  That's the sauce they use in it.  I have noticed the same sauce sneaking in to other things now like the new Queserito (although thankfully sparingly).

I think this is the burrito of doom I'm thinking of:

http://www.tacobell.com/food/menuitem/Chipotle-Ranch-Chicken-Loaded-Griller
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Habanero level is where my vag starts to hurt. I do cook with them but usually that is my limit.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat.

I eat a lot "mexican", and I love Thai, but as others have mentioned after a certain point it over powers dishes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lol OP's Ferret has bigger balls than him.
View Quote

That ferret was retarded.  Literally.  When i say I was trying to stop him from eating his hammock I mean it, he wasn't chewing on it he was actually eating it.  I would find shredded strips of it in his shit when i cleaned the box, he eventually devoured the whole thing (maybe 18x18 inches), and it was two layers thick, all that was left were the ties that held it to the cage bars.  He eventually died when a piece of fabric got stuck in his gut, and his bowels ruptured.  His cage mate died about 2 weeks later of a broken heart.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can't really do any spice.  Don't like it at all.  I'm off the other end of the spectrum on sweets though.  Have never had something that was too sweet or too rich.
View Quote

Here to.  I love sweets.  There is no such thing as to sweet.

I also have a high sensitivity to bitters, and whatever causes that "burned" flavor to the point that it is near impossible for me to drink coffee, I almost have to consciously suppress my gag reflex, it's like I'm drinking liquefied charcoal briquettes.  It is only tolerable when mixed with LOTS of milk, and cream (more milk/cream than coffee), and sugar, and preferably coco.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I really do think you're missing out some really interesting flavors, because of your aversion to even the slightest bit of heat. Seriously, there's not liking overly spicy foods...

...and then there's you.

Honestly? I think it'd be a really awesome thing if you deliberately worked to bring your tolerance level up. No one is suggesting that you should be working towards a goal of eating habaneros like a bowl of strawberries (even I can't do that), but your tolerance for capsaicin is waaaaay lower than normal. The various varieties of chili pepper actually have wonderful and varied flavors, but you're not able to enjoy any of it because the heat overwhelms your senses.

For us chili pepper heads, that's not actually the case. It's not "stunt eating" for us. What burns your mouth off (a Jalapeño for example) is something that I'd describe as "pleasantly warm". As such, I can actually appreciate the taste of a Jalapeño, whereas you're not able perceive any flavor whatsoever. For you, it's just burning heat.

You can work up to it, such that the heat doesn't bother you at all. I think you should. It'll enrich your life.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To answer the OP's question, I eat spicy food because it tastes good.

We all have different preferences.

I never could understand why anybody would eat strawberries. They are gawd awful.
View Quote

I love Strawberries.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
To answer the OP's question, I eat spicy food because it tastes good.

We all have different preferences.

I never could understand why anybody would eat strawberries. They are gawd awful.
View Quote

I like Spicy & Sweet, too..... My MIL's Squaw Bread with hot sugared strawberries was a Christmas Morning treat every year....

When I was on my honeymoon in Ensenada in 1984, we went to a restaurant,   El Toro Steak House....

They made a Carne Asada de la Tampiquena that comes with a Cheese Enchilada... It was so hot I thought my mouth was gonna melt..

But it tasted so good with all these varieties of flavors....  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like spicy foods.  

I didn't grow up in a house where we cooked with many peppers at all.  My parents still aren't particularly fond of any of them, even mild jalapenos.

For me, it was dating a girl who was into spicier foods+allergies.  Nothing clears out my sinuses quite as well as some good spice, and when I moved away from home and developed allergies, spicy foods helped combat how congested and stuffy I get.

I went from not liking anything spicier than restaurant salsa to growing my own jalapenos, serranos, thai peppers, cayennes and habeneros.  

Which is more "mild"?:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121231165126/uncyclopedia/images/archive/3/35/20121231165141!Mushroom-cloud.jpghttp://www.atomicarchive.com/Effects/Images/WE12.jpg

Jalapenos vary wildly in hotness.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Habanero level is where my vag starts to hurt. I do cook with them but usually that is my limit.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like spicy foods.  

Which is more "mild"?:

Nukes very wildly in power to, but whether it's a Mk. 54, or the Tzar bomba my mouth is still glass.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP is a complete pussy. No beans either, faggots.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7038/6965585159_ba2af6c1a7_b.jpg

View Quote

needs hotdogs....

because thats hotdog sauce.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I really do think you're missing out some really interesting flavors, because of your aversion to even the slightest bit of heat. Seriously, there's not liking overly spicy foods...

...and then there's you.

Honestly? I think it'd be a really awesome thing if you deliberately worked to bring your tolerance level up. No one is suggesting that you should be working towards a goal of eating habaneros like a bowl of strawberries (even I can't do that), but your tolerance for capsaicin is waaaaay lower than normal. The various varieties of chili pepper actually have wonderful and varied flavors, but you're not able to enjoy any of it because the heat overwhelms your senses.

For us chili pepper heads, that's not actually the case. It's not "stunt eating" for us. What burns your mouth off (a Jalapeño for example) is something that I'd describe as "pleasantly warm". As such, I can actually appreciate the taste of a Jalapeño, whereas you're not able perceive any flavor whatsoever. For you, it's just burning heat.

You can work up to it, such that the heat doesn't bother you at all. I think you should. It'll enrich your life.
View Quote

I think I'm kinda middle of the road for Spicy stuff & Sweet stuff........

I can enjoy the Spicy stuff & the complex flavors, but some are just too Hot.....

I can enjoy the Sweet stuff & the complex flavors, but some are just to Rich......

I'm glad I'm not at either end of the range, where I wouldn't enjoy the other.......
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like spicy foods.  

False.  I have some planted in my garden right now.

TAM Mild Jalapeno

By 1981 Dr. Villalon had that pepper — the TAM Mild Jalapeño-1. Using this pepper, salsa producers could create mild, medium, and hot varieties of their picante sauce by adding capsaicin (the compound that makes peppers hot) to the mild jalapeño base for more heat. They no longer needed to add bell pepper and tomato as filler to make a milder salsa with a broader appeal. The mild jalapeño was also good for stuffing and for slicing into nacho rings and topping pizza. Producing salsa and other commercial Mexican food products became the primary use for the mild jalapeño, but it was also grown for the fresh market and became popular with home gardeners, since it contains greater amounts of vitamin C, vitamin A, and antioxidants for better health.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#18]
The Spicyness has to balance with some sort of flavor for me.   If it has good flavor and the heat complements it, I am good to go.  

Stupidly Spicy food just for the sake of stupidly spicy food is... Stupid.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#19]
As long as there is flavor with the heat I am all for it.  I'm not into the hot without it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey OP!  You inspired me!

Name my new HotSauce!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#21]

That is what I made for the ferret.  I just pureed about 8 Habaneros, and mixed it with water.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Stupidly Spicy food just for the sake of stupidly spicy food is... Stupid.
View Quote

That line is in different places for different people. For the OP, even a mild Jalapeno is stupidly spicy for the sake of stupidly spicy...Stupid.

"Thai Hot" for me is just about right, unless I'm extremely hungry and will be eating a shit load of it. My wife can't even smell it, without her eyes watering.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

...and then there's you.

View Quote

The OP will probably not have any luck doing that. Biologically, he's not going to be able to handle heat.

I'd bet my next paycheck he can't drink red wine, either.

OP is probably a supertaster.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#24]
What I have gotten from this thread is OP will never sample the spicy goodness that is my chili.        

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I have some sauce called Surface Of The Sun.  Had the bottle for 30+ years and still can't get through the pain of finishing it off.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I love spicy (hot) foods.

Jalapeños barely even register with me anymore heat wise Tabasco gives me a tickle habneros and scotch bonnets are challenging the crazy hot ones I don't go near.  I like something but flavourful, if I start hiccuping it's starting to get too hot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I eat spicy food all the time.

Stuff I think is very mild is very hot to most of my white friends.  They start sweating and turning red on the mildest dishes offered at the authentic ethnic restaurants.

I did get something a little too spicy and hot once.  The dish is not supposed to be that spicy or hot, but the restaurant workers were apparently testing me since they peeked out from the kitchen.  I never touched my water once and had no problem with the food that day.  Next day I of course got angry ass, which is not common for me with very hot and spicy foods.  They now treat me very well at that restaurant and give extra food all the time, and the spicyness / hotness is back to what the people normally eat from that country (sucking it up worked out well in the long run)..

I know people that think a little black pepper is too spicy, I don't get it.  Why would I want food that bland.  Why bother cooking just eat canned chicken all the time....

And there is not pain when I eat spicy / hot food, unless you go to ghost peppers which is just pure heat with no flavor.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:17:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And there is not pain when I eat spicy / hot food, unless you go to ghost peppers which is just pure heat with no flavor.
View Quote

There's actually a slight hint of citrus, before the burning kicks in.

You can actually tell what they taste like if you use them as part of a stew and don't go overboard.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:23:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The same could be accomplished with Arsenic, eat to much, and you die.
View Quote

Or you could develop a tolerance and beat the Sicilian in a battle of wits!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:29:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Why do people like spicy food?

Every day I try to identify at least one new thing to not give a damn about.  Today, you made it easy for me.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:05:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In Michigan Ketchup is considered spicy.  
View Quote

This would be funny if it weren't so true...People are just whinny about anything with a bit of flavor here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I like "Endorphin Rush".  The name says it all.
We had some habaneros planted in close proximity to bell peppers once.  We got some habaneros that had the taste but not the heat.  Wonderful, delicious!!
Also had some bell peppers with a little something extra.
You couldn't tell what you were gonna get.  Like a box of chocolates.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:24:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I used to love spicy food.  Now I feel like one of those old men you see on the Tums commercial.  My body just can't take it no more.
View Quote

I have found that if I eat it at noon I get by with it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:30:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Your ferret has a hammock?

If I'm eating something hot it's because I like the flavor. I prefer to not have any heat if it's possible to do while still getting the same flavor, I don't give a shit about something being hot, I don't eat hot shit just for heats sake.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:33:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yes, quite.  I nearly sent it back the last time they gave me a burrito with the noxious paint peeling garbage on it.  I could barely finish it, and it made my lips numb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even the "buffalo sauce" at Taco Bell is to much for me.

Dang dude, seriously?

Yes, quite.  I nearly sent it back the last time they gave me a burrito with the noxious paint peeling garbage on it.  I could barely finish it, and it made my lips numb.

Your the type of person that I always fear unknowingly eating some of my homemade jerky that I bring into work. Would quite literally probably kill you. For most folks its about >  < that close to being too hot. Of course it also has everything from black pepper to ghost pepper powder.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:37:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Because they are not British......Land of the Bland.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:43:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never understood why people say this. Their unofficial "national dish" seems to be a chicken tikka massala. Bland, it ain't.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:30:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Back in the day, pussies were ashamed of their weakness and kept it to themselves. Same goes for people with the palates of midwestern senior citizens. Low pain tolerance and underdeveloped taste are nothing to be proud of.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I like some fresh black pepper on my food, but that's it. If it hurts, I don't eat it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Eggs and spinach with cayenne! The best!

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey! I resemble that remark.  I'm British (and German) by ancestry, in fact I'm a very (very) distant royal cousin, my Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, great, Great something Grandfather was Richard Rich (One of Henry the 8th's toadies, you may have seen him on the Tudors).
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I've never understood why people say this. Their unofficial "national dish" seems to be a chicken tikka massala. Bland, it ain't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That dish came from India.

The British got that reputation from their fondness of boiling everything, and I mean everything they cook until it is a uniform taste.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Back in the day, pussies were ashamed of their weakness and kept it to themselves. Same goes for people with the palates of midwestern senior citizens. Low pain tolerance and underdeveloped taste are nothing to be proud of.
View Quote

I have a very high pain tolerance, and even have my teeth drilled without Novocain, but I don't do it for fun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Spicy food is delicious as fuck, that's why.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:43:20 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't understand it either.  

I had a supervisor that loved hot food.  

One year I planted a Habanero plant and gave him one of them that I had harvested.  It was small, the size of a quarter maybe.

He ate it, sweated a lot, jumped all around the shop and generally acted like a jumping jack.

He said that the next day it was worse coming out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

<3
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You can actually tell what they taste like if you use them as part of a stew and don't go overboard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A guy I used to work with would make a ghost pepper sauce and soak regular old crackers in it, and then bake them.  They were hot, but not overly hot (and I don't like super hot stuff).  I'm not sure what he put in them to dull the heat, but they were delicious.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Because spicy is good, period.

I spent three years working in Michigan - '03 to '06. The comment about ketchup being spicy is so very true. I went to a Mexican restaurant, ordered the green enchiladas (which should have been somewhat flavorful) and they brought me a bowl of chips...no salsa. I asked for salsa and they asked in return "mild or hot"? My "hot" salsa was ketchup with black pepper. Damn enchiladas came and they were super sweet, almost sugary. So bad I couldn't eat them. Horribly bland food there, hell even Burger King tastes bland in Michigan and chain burger joints usually taste the same across the country.

For a nice snack try Macaroni & Cheese, but when you are mixing in the cheese powder and milk add a healthy dose of Cayenne pepper, enough to turn the cheese orange. Very tasty. My pickled eggs get an Habanero treatment, I use 15 Habaneros for about 24 eggs. 8 get diced and boiled in the brine (turns the house into an OC chamber ) the rest get pickled along with the eggs. Eggs come out orange and very tasty, mild burn and leaves your lips tingly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I also have a high sensitivity to bitters, and whatever causes that "burned" flavor to the point that it is near impossible for me to drink coffee, I almost have to consciously suppress my gag reflex, it's like I'm drinking liquefied charcoal briquettes.  It is only tolerable when mixed with LOTS of milk, and cream (more milk/cream than coffee), and sugar, and preferably coco.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't really do any spice.  Don't like it at all.  I'm off the other end of the spectrum on sweets though.  Have never had something that was too sweet or too rich.

Sweets + spicy = WIN.

In Mexico, nearly all candy (even stuff marketed toward really little kids) is spicy as well, because it's just so freaking good.  One area that I was in had little lemon-lime bubble gum, with sweetened chili powder in the center.  OOoooooOOooh, was that good.

Oddly enough, EVERYTHING down there is made spicy with chilis, NOTHING is spiced up with cinnamon oil.  While I was there, I gave a few locals some "Hot Tamales" candy, and they were hopping up and down from how spicy they were to them.  When I realized what was going on, they thought I was playing a joke on them, so I let them watch me eat half of the box.  They were completely taken by surprise that Americans had such spicy candy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Because spicy is good, period..
View Quote

Yes, it is.  It's like tetrachromia, but in the taste sense.  It adds another dimension to your experience.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top