Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2014 2:43:29 PM EDT
The New Zealand thread got me wondering what other countries beside the US actually allow you a practical, and effective means of self defense (New Zealand does not, no self defense allowed).  I know the Czech Republic does (actually better than some states is my understanding), they will even issue to foreigners provided they can speak, write, and read Czech, and can field strip a CZ.  Is there anywhere else I know some countries like Canada HAVE permits but are like Hawaii in terms of actually getting one (you must be connected, or famous), so is there any that are SHALL ISSUE other than the Czechs?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of California is now shall issue
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems like I remember hearing that Switzerland issued weapons to all citizens.

Or maybe I'm FOS.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
2% of the adult Slovakian population has a carry permit. It's may issue, but seems to be pretty lax.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or maybe I'm FOS.  

View Quote

Yeah, no.  You're thinking of Sweden, and it's not like that, either.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:03:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Estonia (not sure if "shall", but certainly "nearly shall").

Czechia allows translator, so you dont necessarily have to speak Czech.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:58:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Being able to carry a gun (openly or concealed, licensed or unlicensed) is not the central issue involving guns. It's a very secondary issue. The key issue is being able to own guns in the first place. If you can't own a gun (which is the case in much of the developed world), there's no point in discussing whether you can carry it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:59:48 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Typical Californian... they think they are their own country
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:03:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Being able to carry a gun (openly or concealed, licensed or unlicensed) is not the central issue involving guns. It's a very secondary issue. The key issue is being able to own guns in the first place. If you can't own a gun (which is the case in much of the developed world), there's no point in discussing whether you can carry it.
View Quote

Most Western countries allow some level of gunownership. Few treat it as a human right though, and therein lies the rub.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:04:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Czech Republic is basically shall issue if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#10]
post delited
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:22:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You spelled Texas wrong

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was under the impression that they discontinued translators, was I misinformed?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

A gun which you are not allowed to use is a paperweight.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

My understanding as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was under the impression that they discontinued translators, was I misinformed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right, for some time they stopped this practise, but its back, or so I heard..

Quoted:

Basically yes, because "CCW/defence" licence is treated as any other licence. Fulfil all requirements and its yours. Your gun has to be registered for CCW when you purchase it, though (you have to state what is your reason for purchase). Vz.58 is so far the biggest gun i claimed for ccw, some others did FN FAL
In reality ccw licence is the most common kind of gun licence (even more than sporting l.) more than 2/3 of shooters have it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You are right, for some time they stopped this practise, but its back, or so I heard..

Basically yes, because "CCW/defence" licence is treated as any other licence. Fulfil all requirements and its yours. Your gun has to be registered for CCW when you purchase it, though (you have to state what is your reason for purchase). Vz.58 is so far the biggest gun i claimed for ccw, some others did FN FAL
In reality ccw licence is the most common kind of gun licence (even more than sporting l.) more than 2/3 of shooters have it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know I would like to visit Prague some day.....

How would it work for a tourist to get one?  What's the wait time?  Do I have to make a second trip to pick it up, or can they mail it to me?  How long is it good for?  Can it be renewed by mail?  Can I bring my own gun, or would I have to buy one once I'm there then just stash it in a safe deposit box for my eventual return?  Do you have places where carry is not allowed?  Is there any distinction between concealed, and open carry, or pistol vs. rifle?

I have 2 simple requirements to visit another country (or another state) it must be civilized, and it must allow me to carry (at least relatively restriction free).  So far The Czech Republic is the only place on my approved list outside the US.

(For reference I also will not step foot in California, Oregon, Illinois, New York, Hawaii, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Colorado (do to Magazine ban), Guam, Puerto Rico, The U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, or Washington D.C..  I will visit Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire, but only by boat, or private plane as their position leaves them geographically isolated behind New York, and I can not go through Canada, and I refuse to deal with the TSA, Alaska is similarly cut off.)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe I'm FOS.  

Yep, there's tons of guns in Swedish hands.

Switzerland is virtually gun free.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe I'm FOS.  

We have quite a few guns.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since you're here and I forgot, how does Sweden regard semi-autos like the AR and AK?
What are the handgun laws?
I think I remember you said that carry permits are may issue and not easy to get, though long arms are okay to take to the range, hunting, etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

How would it work for a tourist to get one?  What's the wait time?  Do I have to make a second trip to pick it up, or can they mail it to me?  How long is it good for?  Can it be renewed by mail?  Can I bring my own gun, or would I have to buy one once I'm there then just stash it in a safe deposit box for my eventual return?  Do you have places where carry is not allowed?  Is there any distinction between concealed, and open carry, or pistol vs. rifle?

I have 2 simple requirements to visit another country (or another state) it must be civilized, and it must allow me to carry (at least relatively restriction free).  So far The Czech Republic is the only place on my approved list outside the US.

(For reference I also will not step foot in California, Oregon, Illinois, New York, Hawaii, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Colorado (do to Magazine ban), Guam, Puerto Rico, The U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, or Washington D.C..  I will visit Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire, but only by boat, or private plane as their position leaves them geographically isolated behind New York, and I can not go through Canada, and I refuse to deal with the TSA, Alaska is similarly cut off.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:SNIP

MA has an out of state permit, how is that any different than getting a license in another country, which you already seem willing to do.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Or maybe I'm FOS.  

View Quote

No, not to all citizens.  Male obligation for militia service in practice is also not as near to being universal as it was when the authorized militia strength was much higher.  Militiamen are issued weapons which they can take home and they can carry them to and from the range, training, etc., as I understand it.  If I recall correctly, general carry went from being something variable, with anything from highly restrictive may-issue to shall-issue for licenses, to a uniform standard in the 1990s that essentially imposed a restrictive may-issue status on the whole country.  Shung would probably be the best person to answer that, though.

Bolivia, as I understand it, has virtually no laws regarding carry and possession, but I could be wrong about that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Since you're here and I forgot, how does Sweden regard semi-autos like the AR and AK?
I think I remember you said that carry permits are may issue and not easy to get, though long arms are okay to take to the range, hunting, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARs, AKs, and pistols can be owned on target-shooting licenses, which require membership in a gun club. You also have to take part in competitions to show that you're active. Pistol licenses have to be renewed every five years, but ARs and AKs are forever.

ARs and AKs, as well as other evil-looking rifles, are not allowed on hunting licenses though. Sometimes the Police have a brain fart and allow a hunting license for one, but it's not common.

Full auto is possible on target-shooting licenses, but they have to be renewed every five years. People usually use Swedish Ks since there's an association organizing the sport.

You can also get pretty much any firearm on a collectors license, but then you're usually not allowed to use the gun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
MA has an out of state permit, how is that any different than getting a license in another country, which you already seem willing to do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The key part is SHALL ISSUE.  Massachusetts may issue one (key word MAY), but can I actually get it?  I am not rich, or politically connected, can not afford to "contribute" to anybody's "campaign fund" and I am not a celebrity, so can I get one?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The key part is SHALL ISSUE.  Massachusetts may issue one (key word MAY), but can I actually get it?  I am not rich, or politically connected, can not afford to "contribute" to anybody's "campaign fund" and I am not a celebrity, so can I get one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure. You just have to meet their basic requirements- possess a home state license, take an MA approved safety course, fill out a form and send it in with $100, visit on the assigned day, and wait until eventually your license arrives in the mail. It's either that easy, or I'm a celebrity.

Getting a Connecticut non-resident permit is even easier and cheaper than getting a resident permit. That is an entirely mail order process.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe I'm FOS.  

Wasn't intending to insult Sweden. I'm enamored with Scandinavia in general, actually.

But Switzerland is known for issuing machine guns to citizens (at least at one point) etc etc. And the poster was attempting to be snarky while messing up the impressions of the Swiss and Swedes.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know there are direct ferries from Washington state to Alaska so you don't have to go through Canada.

Also, why no Oregon? While Portland is a Democraptic enclave, the state has very good gun laws including CCL's that are straightforward and easy to get done.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You know there are direct ferries from Washington state to Alaska so you don't have to go through Canada.

Also, why no Oregon? While Portland is a Democraptic enclave, the state has very good gun laws including CCL's that are straightforward and easy to get done.
View Quote

Oregon does not recognize Michigan CPLs, and they only issue out of state licenses to contiguous states (I.E. states that touch Oregon, meaning Washington, California, Idaho and Nevada), and only then if they can demonstrate a "compelling need".

Does the Alaskan Ferry make the entire trip in international waters?, and is it US Flagged?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#28]

If you refuse to deal with the TSA, how will you get to Czechoslovakia?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Can you carry your own pistol with a permit in Czech Republic?

Like that you bought in the US?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
if i could walk 500 miles...

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Mexico has "May-issue".  I don't think you have to be a celebrity or politically connected.  Cash will probably do.    You can only carry up to a .380" or .38", however.  Unless you have plenty of cash.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
2% of the adult Slovakian population has a carry permit. It's may issue, but seems to be pretty lax.
View Quote

And they go ape shit nuts over Taurus handguns. Don't ask me why....
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

But Switzerland is known for issuing machine guns to citizens (at least at one point) etc etc. And the poster was attempting to be snarky while messing up the impressions of the Swiss and Swedes.

View Quote

The Swedish Home Guard kept its issued rifles at home up until a few years ago, very much like the Swiss militia.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only Slovakian dude I know carries a PT-92.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I hear Somalia has very lax gun control laws.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Oregon does not recognize Michigan CPLs, and they only issue out of state licenses to contiguous states (I.E. states that touch Oregon, meaning Washington, California, Idaho and Nevada), and only then if they can demonstrate a "compelling need".

Does the Alaskan Ferry make the entire trip in international waters?, and is it US Flagged?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not as bad as it sounds, simple letter stating you wanna carry for SD in accordance with OR laws. Multnomah County (Portland) issued me a permit no problem.

Seriously though, OR is a beautiful state, don't let that stop you from visiting. OC without a permit is legal outside of the few cities that banned it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:33:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
[

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[

It wouldnt, firstly its for residents and secondly even if it was for tourists, cops are not doing it over the counter, instead they are required to give you 14 days to learn for the exam and then they have 30 days to process it... (bureaucracy doing its name of homeland of Franz Kafka)
The only firearm you can carry without any regulation is doubleshot blackpowder derringer..

Quoted:

TSA stands for "Time and Space travel Agency"? That would be the only way to get to Czechoslovakia..
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:39:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

all joking aside, several african countries allow carry on some level, as do several south american countries.

don't remember which ones however, as i will never live in any of them.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:02:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting, how well could a person on a US mil retirement live there?  $2400 a month or so?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#40]
wow full page of everything but what the op posted

up to recently in the Republic of Ireland if you were issued a permit to purchase a pistol (like NJ) then there were no restrictions on how to carry, many of my friends did conceal carry, BUT self defense in Ireland and the rest of the british isles is frowned upon,  its the mind set.  as of last year the Irish police Garda withdraw most permits

I hold a Irish FAC  Firearm certificate I can transport a firearm IE: shotgun anywhere in Ireland, No. Irelands & UK & Europe but must notify then first and when I land ph in Ireland the shotgun does not need to be cased

so up till last year Irish pistol permit holders  had defacto conealed carry
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your life must be rather drab and boring.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:36:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Poor Slovaks.... I see Czech Republic got the good taste in guns during the split.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Most Countries in Africa seem pretty lax on their "CCW".

Quoted:
View Quote

Get out of my head!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
wow full page of everything but what the op posted

up to recently in the Republic of Ireland if you were issued a permit to purchase a pistol (like NJ) then there were no restrictions on how to carry, many of my friends did conceal carry, BUT self defense in Ireland and the rest of the british isles is frowned upon,  its the mind set.  as of last year the Irish police Garda withdraw most permits

I hold a Irish FAC  Firearm certificate I can transport a firearm IE: shotgun anywhere in Ireland, No. Irelands & UK & Europe but must notify then first and when I land ph in Ireland the shotgun does not need to be cased

so up till last year Irish pistol permit holders  had defacto conealed carry
View Quote

The only way I've figured out to carry a loaded shotgun in a vehicle in the UK is to have a "coach".  The coachman may carry a shotgun for the defense of the coach.  In modern practice, I think you'd have to own a small bus company.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Interesting, how well could a person on a US mil retirement live there?  $2400 a month or so?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty well i would say, thats almost 2 awerage wages.
There are quite a few expats speaking next to no Czech even after 10+ years of continuous residency..
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I ever can afford to go, it would be by private charter.

I refuse to be strip searched, or groped in the name of security kabooki theater.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not as bad as it sounds, simple letter stating you wanna carry for SD in accordance with OR laws. Multnomah County (Portland) issued me a permit no problem.

Seriously though, OR is a beautiful state, don't let that stop you from visiting. OC without a permit is legal outside of the few cities that banned it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So Oregon has no state preemption, and I would have to navigate a patchwork of local laws, and possibly police who don't know that OC is legal?  Also in Michigan OC without a permit is technically fine, however in practice it's illegal to carry it practically anywhere one might normally go, and they consider just getting in to your car (or even on to a bike, or a bus) to be concealed even when it is not, what's it like in Oregon?  Can I drive with it loaded on my hip?  Can I walk in to a place that has a liqueur license (like a store that sells Alcohol (like practically every restaurant, grocery store, and convenience store, or gas station ever)?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I refuse to be strip searched, or groped in the name of security kabooki theater.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you'll never experience another culture or country.... got it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It wouldnt, firstly its for residents and secondly even if it was for tourists, cops are not doing it over the counter, instead they are required to give you 14 days to learn for the exam and then they have 30 days to process it... (bureaucracy doing its name of homeland of Franz Kafka)
The only firearm you can carry without any regulation is doubleshot blackpowder derringer..

TSA stands for "Time and Space travel Agency"? That would be the only way to get to Czechoslovakia..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Quoted:

I was under the impression that they issued for everyone, even non residents, was I misinformed?  If so paying a visit is out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Your life must be rather drab and boring.  
View Quote

I just refuse to compromise on my fundamental human rights.  If I can not bring a gun to defend myself then I will not go.  I consider a ban on my carrying my gun as a ban on me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top