User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Previous religions...

the belief in a supreme being wasn't exactly new at the time. More than one story was just re-written stuff from other cultures

IE: Noah and the ark is a reboot of The epic of gilgamesh
View Quote

How do you know that? Is there some evidence, or are you simply guessing that, because they are similar stories, that one is based on the other? I'm not going to go into it now, but there was a whole long thread on the flood a month or so ago. The long and short of it is, in any case in which multiple witness reported an event, we would leap on that as good evidence. The single exception to that is atheists who insist that multiple witnesses equals proof that something did NOT happen, but ONLY in the case of anything having to do with the Bible. It's really pretty irrational.

ETA:

As far as similarities between the God of the Kingdom of Israel and gods of surrounding, older civilizations, I already addressed that at some length in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked this up in a bus station ,
Seeing Christ in the Old Testament (Jewish Scriptures) Ervin N. Hershberger

excerpt:
Seeing Christ in the Beginning

Glimpses of His pre-incarnate Glory, which He had with the Father before the world was. Jn.17:5

In the beginning GOD
Nothing else - No earth - No sea - No sky - No sun - No moon - No stars - No people - Nothing but...

GOD
We bury our faces, and cry Holy  Holy  Holy!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Odin laughs at the people who follow El (or Yaweh, Allah or whatever he's called now).
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#4]

The long and short of it is, in any case in which multiple witness reported an event, we would leap on that as good evidence. The single exception to that is atheists who insist that multiple witnesses equals proof that something did NOT happen, but ONLY in the case of anything having to do with the Bible. It's really pretty irrational.

View Quote

Respectfully, what in the fuck are you saying.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The long and short of it is, in any case in which multiple witness reported an event, we would leap on that as good evidence. The single exception to that is atheists who insist that multiple witnesses equals proof that something did NOT happen, but ONLY in the case of anything having to do with the Bible. It's really pretty irrational.

Re-read it until you get it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Odin laughs at the people who follow El (or Yaweh, Allah or whatever he's called now).
View Quote

Who is Odin? I think I might could guess, no but sincerely.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odin is the Allfather, first among the Æsir.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bearded dude, pretty metal and shit.

Also was portrayed by Anthony Hopkins.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, sir. My guess was fairly accurate.
By the way 1986 was a good year!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well that is a pretty derpy summary of the atheist position.  And a pretty derpy justification for claiming an event factually happened.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

his evidence counts and others' evidence does not.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Take a human with his pride, vanity and jealousy and make him a king.  What does he do?  Requires loyalty, obedience, and tribute and he'll reward you, if you cross him he will punish you.
Now take that king and make him the most powerful being in the universe.  What does he do? Exactly the same thing.

Use that abstract king to explain all phenomenon outside of human control.
/thread.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How do you know that? Is there some evidence, or are you simply guessing that, because they are similar stories, that one is based on the other? I'm not going to go into it now, but there was a whole long thread on the flood a month or so ago. The long and short of it is, in any case in which multiple witness reported an event, we would leap on that as good evidence. The single exception to that is atheists who insist that multiple witnesses equals proof that something did NOT happen, but ONLY in the case of anything having to do with the Bible. It's really pretty irrational.
ETA:
As far as similarities between the God of the Kingdom of Israel and gods of surrounding, older civilizations, I already addressed that at some length in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Previous religions...
the belief in a supreme being wasn't exactly new at the time. More than one story was just re-written stuff from other cultures
IE: Noah and the ark is a reboot of The epic of gilgamesh

ETA:
Too bad that's not what flood stories are.
None of them are eye witness accounts, just oral tradition which was eventually written down.
Where the story originated, under what circumstances, and who copied from who is completely unknown.
That is why they are not considered independent eyewitness testimonies of an actual event.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The Bible is a collection of fairy tales written down by human beings.

"God" is a man-made idea - an attempt by our ancestors to interpret the world we live in and to make sense of that which was not understood (especially back then, when people didn't know jack shit about our universe - certainly nowhere near what we know now).

The story of the Bible is a collection of "ideas" written down by living beings - there is absolutely nothing divine about it. The idea that the Bible is "the word of God" is the biggest BS story in the history of mankind that has somehow managed to survive for centuries...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Bible is the word of God; there are no "ideas" in it.

"God" is a man-made idea - an attempt by our ancestors to interpret the world we live in and to make sense of that which was not understood (especially back then, when people didn't know jack shit about our universe - certainly nowhere near what we know now).

The story of the Bible is a collection of "ideas" written down by living beings - there is absolutely nothing divine about it. The idea that the Bible is "the word of God" is the biggest BS story in the history of mankind that has somehow managed to survive for centuries...

While that is a cute thought.....you would, of course, have to disagree with the science that has proven all those pesky fairy tales to be true.........
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

While that is a cute thought.....you would, of course, have to disagree with the science that has proven all those pesky fairy tales to be true.........
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cite?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What science would that be?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Since I have to get up early tomorrow - I don't have time to tuck you kids into bed by repeating the entire list of historical (aka-non-religious) facts that have been found to be true in the Bible. Short version = many individuals/towns/events that were written in the Bible thousands of years ago - that were not common knowledge - that have only recently (last 500 years) been found to be true, Forget the theory/faith/etc... - the idea that all those goat herders could, without the internet/cites, get their stories straight - without even 1 being proven wrong, all those years ago - takes a lot more faith than I have,  

I don't have the time or interest to do the work for you...seeds, they are planted - where they grow? Out of my control........Google and Wiki are your friend.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Since I have to get up early tomorrow - I don't have time to tuck you kids into bed by repeating the entire list of historical (aka-non-religious) facts that have been found to be true in the Bible. Short version = many individuals/towns/events that were written in the Bible thousands of years ago - that were not common knowledge - that have only recently (last 500 years) been found to be true, Forget the theory/faith/etc... - the idea that all those goat herders could, without the internet/cites, get their stories straight - without even 1 being proven wrong, all those years ago - takes a lot more faith than I have,  
I don't have the time or interest to do the work for you...seeds, they are planted - where they grow? Out of my control........Google and Wiki are your friend.
View Quote
Historical facts (which no one would be surprised that contemporary people could write down) =/= science proving miracles.

Something you just made up. Having some stories right does not equal "not one of them being incorrect". I suppose the fact that none of the Exodus is supported by historical or archeological records or that there is no evidence that there were large populations of Hebrew slaves that left eqypt, with the plagues, the red sea parting, etc.
doesn't make it into your "not one fact incorrect" narrative.

I have no faith at all, and I don't believe the bible to be accurate when it talks about miracles or the supernatural, or 100% accurate on most subjects, so clearly I have less faith than you.

In other words, you can't deliver what you claimed, so you moved the goalposts and said to others "trust me, there is evidence, which I can't show you...but its there, wink wink."

How underwhelming.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

OK, so some cities and major events happened and are true.  That means the supernatural parts are true?

That is like saying Will Smith's Independence Day really happened because it contained actual places, representations of real buildings and centered around a real historical event, the 4th of July celebration of America's independence.

Nobody has ever said that the Bible is a 100% science fiction novel ala Dune or Lord of the Rings.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you mean the Koran. The bible is a collection of stories as recorded throughout history that interrupt the word of God through the eyes of men.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
OK, so some cities and major events happened and are true.  That means the supernatural parts are true?

That is like saying Will Smith's Independence Day really happened because it contained actual places, representations of real buildings and centered around a real historical event, the 4th of July celebration of America's independence.

Nobody has ever said that the Bible is a 100% science fiction novel ala Dune or Lord of the Rings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#24]
It's also worth noting the blatantly obvious influence that Greek mythology had on the Bible.

See also the Epic of Gilgamesh.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait a minute. Which ones?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Sure hate to get back on topic now that a believer gave the Atheists (sitting on the sidelines anxiously awaiting a piece of bait) a long awaited chance to pounce, but:

Quoted:
Where did the idea of God as presented in the Christian Bible come from?
View Quote

If answered by a believer: God himself
If answered by a knowledgable non-believer: Good question. A lot of oral traditions could have contributed.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#27]
is the song Who made Who by AC/DC counter religious?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

is the song Who made Who by AC/DC counter religious?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#29]
In the original biblical writings, women had most, if not all, of the power.  Some dude said I don't think so.....and wrote his own bible with men running most of the show.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I was taught all religions spawned from sun worshiping cults. And evolution of the story over time created the stories in our present day bible. Kind of funny that most models of god and gods son follow a repeated story. Born of virgin mother, death and ressurection, 12 followers yada yada. Once presented those facts long ago, it made me happy to never of gotten into that whole mess as a kid.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was taught all religions spawned from sun worshiping cults. And evolution of the story over time created the stories in our present day bible. Kind of funny that most models of god and gods son follow a repeated story. Born of virgin mother, death and ressurection, 12 followers yada yada. Once presented those facts long ago, it made me happy to never of gotten into that whole mess as a kid.
View Quote

what?  and just who taught you that drivel?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Anti-theists are trolling hard, like they're on a mission.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Boohoo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Butthurt much?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Butthurt much?

http://themescompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Crying-Baby-Natural-High-for-Some-Moms.jpg

cute pic of yourself.....but you really should stop posting it...folks will take you for being a narcissist.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need your sleep more than you realize.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:59:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

cute pic of yourself.....but you really should stop posting it...folks will take you for being a narcissist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Butthurt much?

http://themescompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Crying-Baby-Natural-High-for-Some-Moms.jpg

Peewee makes a better argument.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:37:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There are active Zoroastrian communities today with documented continuity to the distant past. Not Celtic Druidism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zoroastrianism.

Try finding some actual hard info to support that assertion. You won't.

There is as much hard info about Zoroastrainism as there is about Celtic Druidism, namely virtually none.

A couple of inscriptions and references from a few Greek historians, that's it for both.

And from these crumbs people constantly claim that Christianity is completely discredited.  

Not buying it.

There are active Zoroastrian communities today with documented continuity to the distant past. Not Celtic Druidism.

Any links to credible sources that describe these communities?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:44:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Um...from God? Where else?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:57:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth.
1986 changed my life.

It was a great year for Heavy Metal LOL

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:48:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The middle east is the crossroads of the world.  Want to move from Europe, Africa, or Asia to one of the other two, you will pass through the middle east.

A hard concept to understand is that the Jewish people were essential to the spread of the Gospel.  The Jews were at ground zero.  They made the most powerful empire hate them.  In the meantime, Christ was born and Christianity became established in the middle east.

Being a part of the Roman Empire allowed Jews and Christians to spread to the known world via Roman infrastructure and sea travel.  

When the Diaspora came, it scattered Christians and Jews alike all over the place.

God knew what was going to happen.  Christ was begotten and not made.  The triune god has always existed.  Time as we understand it came later on.  God wanted to have a one-on -one relationship with his creation.  Couldn't do that with apes, so he created man.....who is created in god's image....and god is spirit.

Man messed it up once man discovered free will.  God cannot be in the presence of sin and vv.

Jesus purpose from the very get go was to pay the price for all sin.  But god had to first get back in touch with mankind yet again.  He chose Abraham because Abraham had come to the conclusion that there was only one god and that god was omnipotent.  God let Abraham know that he was indeed the god that Abraham had come to realize.

Thus a monotheistic religion for the purpose of keeping in touch with a triune god was born.

If it had been done anywhere else, it would not have spread as god wished it to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why did your god make himself/herself known to only a small group of people in a single small area of the world?

The Chinese, the Inca, the American Indians, etc. never got the memo...

The middle east is the crossroads of the world.  Want to move from Europe, Africa, or Asia to one of the other two, you will pass through the middle east.

A hard concept to understand is that the Jewish people were essential to the spread of the Gospel.  The Jews were at ground zero.  They made the most powerful empire hate them.  In the meantime, Christ was born and Christianity became established in the middle east.

Being a part of the Roman Empire allowed Jews and Christians to spread to the known world via Roman infrastructure and sea travel.  

When the Diaspora came, it scattered Christians and Jews alike all over the place.

God knew what was going to happen.  Christ was begotten and not made.  The triune god has always existed.  Time as we understand it came later on.  God wanted to have a one-on -one relationship with his creation.  Couldn't do that with apes, so he created man.....who is created in god's image....and god is spirit.

Man messed it up once man discovered free will.  God cannot be in the presence of sin and vv.

Jesus purpose from the very get go was to pay the price for all sin.  But god had to first get back in touch with mankind yet again.  He chose Abraham because Abraham had come to the conclusion that there was only one god and that god was omnipotent.  God let Abraham know that he was indeed the god that Abraham had come to realize.

Thus a monotheistic religion for the purpose of keeping in touch with a triune god was born.

If it had been done anywhere else, it would not have spread as god wished it to.

You should say that out loud while looking in a mirror..... Or better yet videoing your self.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:50:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
PR and Marketing men. The campaign was obviously extremely successful.
View Quote

This - ancient storytellers for the win
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:54:02 AM EDT
[#43]
We made him up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
There is as much hard info about Zoroastrainism as there is about Celtic Druidism, namely virtually none.
A couple of inscriptions and references from a few Greek historians, that's it for both.
And from these crumbs people constantly claim that Christianity is completely discredited.  
Not buying it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zoroastrianism.

Not buying it.

Where do you suppose it came from?
Do you suppose all of Judaism that led to Christianity happened in a vacuum with no influence from previous or other peoples, philosophies, ideas or constructs? and you demand proof otherwise?
Or do you demand proof of religion entirely?
If Zoroastrianism was the influence that led Judaism toward the monotheism that resulted in the idea of God as presented in Christianity, *I do not see how that would that discredit Christianity..
Unless one believed that it was all supposed to have been a completely new and original work with no influences... which is a claim I am unaware of.. and it could be that I am just unaware of it...
* OK for some it might, depends how they are hanging on...but Religious people study these things without losing their faith..

one of the sources I posted back in the thread for comparison and similarities between Judaism and Zoroastrianism was the Jewish Encyclopedia... I think they are still Jewish.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/15283-zoroastrianism

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:32:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Late as usual, but please:

Quoted:

.... He chose Abraham because Abraham had come to the conclusion that there was only one god and that god was omnipotent.  God let Abraham know that he was indeed the god that Abraham had come to realize.
View Quote

I completely missed that, in word and concept, when I read the OT.  Hook me up--anyone--with some verses.  That's very interesting.

I've often wondered this very thing of man concluding on his own, logically somehow, that there'd be just one god.  In contrast, I was taught that [G]od just...is, or amongst the sermons I missed Abraham's role as you've written it.  I seem to remember reading [G]od was impressed with Abraham's goodness, but I missed that he was also....intelligent?  Is that the message?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:40:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Do a search for "Indian Zoroastrianism".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zoroastrianism.

Not buying it.

Do a search for "Indian Zoroastrianism".

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:41:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
God chose Abraham to be the father of the Jewish and thus eventually the Christian faith.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:53:41 AM EDT
[#48]
There's a community of Zoroastrians in India that originated when Zoroastrians in Persia fled after the Moslem conquest. Information about this is easy to find.
Do a search for "Indian Zoroastrians".
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:56:02 AM EDT
[#49]
There's a community of Zoroastrians in India that originated when Zoroastrians in Persia fled after the Moslem conquest. Information about this is easy to find.
Do a search for "Indian Zoroastrians". A quick search would reveal, there are still 60,000 Zoroastrians in Iran.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:24:29 AM EDT
[#50]
And on the subject of a few mentions by the Greeks, I've got three books here that go into Zoroastrianism in great detail.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top