BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Salt water is a good thing.  Far vaster stretches of the ocean would be ice it it was not salt water.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Salt water is a good thing.  Far vaster stretches of the ocean would be ice it it was not salt water.
Is that a serious response?

Edit: By the way, that 70% salt water doesn't mean the other 30% is fresh.  Only 2.5% of the water on this planet God made for us is actually fresh water.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
"somehow"? I don't believe so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Bible is the word of God; there are no "ideas" in it.

The Bible is a collection of fairy tales written down by human beings.

"God" is a man-made idea - an attempt by our ancestors to interpret the world we live in and to make sense of that which was not understood (especially back then, when people didn't know jack shit about our universe - certainly nowhere near what we know now).

The story of the Bible is a collection of "ideas" written down by living beings - there is absolutely nothing divine about it. The idea that the Bible is "the word of God" is the biggest BS story in the history of mankind that has somehow managed to survive for centuries...

Yes - "somehow"

In other words, it's astonishing, crazy, utterly ridiculous that people still subscribe to these man-made inventions - this idea of a fluffy white cloud heaven, a fiery torturous hell, and a supernatural sky "God" that watches everything we do - who judges the living and the dead.

Mankind created all of this.

The bible should be treated for what it is - a work of literature - nothing more.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why did your god make himself/herself known to only a small group of people in a single small area of the world?

The Chinese, the Inca, the American Indians, etc. never got the memo...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why did your god make himself/herself known to only a small group of people in a single small area of the world?

The Chinese, the Inca, the American Indians, etc. never got the memo...

There you go! As you said all of the civilizations worship a god. If he only made himself known to a small group then where did these other cultures get the idea to worship? In most cases the god is a peaceful god just as the Christian God is. So who's to say the other cultures just don't have their interpreted image of only one God. Most likely the different cultures may have played the old game telephone where the teachings have been passed down generation to generation but slightly changed here and there. As the presence of God is known but its up to you and your free will to decide how important those teachings are and how you pass them down.

Maybe, I don't know
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

I think something just burst in my brain pan...

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Try finding some actual hard info to support that assertion. You won't.

There is as much hard info about Zoroastrainism as there is about Celtic Druidism, namely virtually none.

A couple of inscriptions and references from a few Greek historians, that's it for both.

And from these crumbs people constantly claim that Christianity is completely discredited.  

Not buying it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zoroastrianism.

There is as much hard info about Zoroastrainism as there is about Celtic Druidism, namely virtually none.

A couple of inscriptions and references from a few Greek historians, that's it for both.

And from these crumbs people constantly claim that Christianity is completely discredited.  

Not buying it.

There are active Zoroastrian communities today with documented continuity to the distant past. Not Celtic Druidism.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No, I've heard it proposed here that the God of Israel (and thus the Christian God) was co-opted from other, older Levantine cultures. It seems like this proposal was based around the common name "El", which could be used as a god generically or as the patriarch of the Canaanite pantheon and as the name of a god in a bunch of other cultures. This view seems to come up in various religious threads, but never in a thread dedicated to discussing that. Thus, my weak search fu does not allow me to find this idea among the bazillions of religious thread topics in GD's sordid past.

I ask the question because I want to hear and understand this idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think you accurately worded your question to voice the question you were thinking. You answered your question in the thread title. The idea for the Christian God was outlined in the Old and New Testaments, originating from God Himself. Or if you don't believe in Christianity, it originated from the authors of the several books. Were you instead asking where monotheism originated?

No, I've heard it proposed here that the God of Israel (and thus the Christian God) was co-opted from other, older Levantine cultures. It seems like this proposal was based around the common name "El", which could be used as a god generically or as the patriarch of the Canaanite pantheon and as the name of a god in a bunch of other cultures. This view seems to come up in various religious threads, but never in a thread dedicated to discussing that. Thus, my weak search fu does not allow me to find this idea among the bazillions of religious thread topics in GD's sordid past.

^ah, I sorta glazed over this before.  Here's one interpretation-  http://rapgod.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/master-keys-to-reading-the-bible-with-monolatrist-understanding-how-the-hebrew-bible-is-not-monotheistic-part-1/
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes - "somehow"

In other words, it's astonishing, crazy, utterly ridiculous that people still subscribe to these man-made inventions - this idea of a fluffy white cloud heaven, a fiery torturous hell, and a supernatural sky "God" that watches everything we do - who judges the living and the dead.

The bible should be treated for what it is - a work of literature - nothing more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"God" is a man-made idea - an attempt by our ancestors to interpret the world we live in and to make sense of that which was not understood (especially back then, when people didn't know jack shit about our universe - certainly nowhere near what we know now).

The story of the Bible is a collection of "ideas" written down by living beings - there is absolutely nothing divine about it. The idea that the Bible is "the word of God" is the biggest BS story in the history of mankind that has somehow managed to survive for centuries...

Yes - "somehow"

Well.. Huhh
I have a set of encyclopedias I'd like to sell. 100$ or best offer,Any takers? Don't need 'em anymore this guy knows f*king everything!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#10]
The idea of god as presented in the jewish torah.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Adam was old enough to have known Noah IIRC.

If God is who He says He is......He is more than capable of making Himself known.  

It got a little sideways and His Son comes along to set things straight. "He who has seen Me has seen the Father". John 14:9
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Is it inevitable? ...To reduce discussion to "Because:GOD and Because:NO GOD"
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#14]
In the Old Testament?  From the prophets.

In the New Testament?  From Jesus.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Ignorance. Humans didn't understand how anything worked. As our understanding of the natural world has improved the scope of the supernatural has diminished.

Old testament has been covered pretty well, when the Hebrew war-god Yahweh was elevated to the top of the henotheistic pyramid he reflected what the creator of an earth-centric universe created for the benefit of bronze-age peoples living brutal lives could be expected to be.

New testament is essentially the euhemorization of the celestial Messiah of Paul and Philo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The Jews were not originally monotheist, but monolatrists. They didn't deny that more gods existed, but only one was theirs, and he was the best one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it was only by the Hellenic period that most Jews came to believe that their god was the only god,

The Jews were not originally monotheist, but monolatrists. They didn't deny that more gods existed, but only one was theirs, and he was the best one.

That and way back then most folks considered deities to be regional.  I.e. you could worship one deity as your supreme being, but travel to another land, where they worshiped another deity or many deities, and their gods held sway there...not the one of the land you left.  It wasn't uncommon at all to migrate with the understanding that your god was not god in this new land...he/she was god back home.  

People's understanding of religion and the world was vastly different than ours today.  Religion as we know it today didn't really start to appear until religion shifted towards being a deeply spiritual thing, whereas prior to that spiritualism wasn't really all that popular.  Throughout ancient Rome many religions other than the Roman religion were respected and treated as acceptable, but these new religions espousing spiritualism were the ones that they found distasteful and abhorrent.  The gods were meant to be obeyed, as they kind of kept order and were just the defacto bosses of shit.  You worshipped to appease them and not get on their bad side, but you did NOT have a deep spiritual connection with them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't you think dropping a few miracles during the internet age would have gone a long way towards solving the whole, "Which one is true?" dilemma?

And I bet Moses would have loved a GPS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would that matter? You and I have access to the Bible, right? As the most published and most widely distributed book of all time, I'd say that God did just fine in making sure that His writings were accessible to as many people as possible over the last few thousand years.

Don't you think dropping a few miracles during the internet age would have gone a long way towards solving the whole, "Which one is true?" dilemma?

And I bet Moses would have loved a GPS.

Doesn't much matter what you or I think. At this point, it's a matter of faith. God did what He had planned to do in His own time. As to the miracles you ask for as evidence:

1 Corinthians 1:20-25
Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

I have faith, you do not. We won't agree.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Egyptian theology, Greek philosophy, and Roman law.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would agree that the Christian Bible does indeed, in a way, get its idea of God from Judaism.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes - "somehow"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes - "somehow"

Bible I read never describes a heaven with fluffy clouds and angels, or a "hell" with fire and pitchforks. Figures of speech written in the east tend to not make sense in our culture until you sit down and actually try to understand them through the eyes of the folks that actually wrote them. But that's cool, sweep anybody who goes to any kind of church all together. I don't run around throwing bibles at people, why do so many atheists throw their "not bible" at people?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#21]
You're all invited to my church

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There are active Zoroastrian communities today with documented continuity to the distant past. Not Celtic Druidism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zoroastrianism.

Not buying it.

They are practicing a recreation of what they "think" Zoroastrianism was when it actually existed. Just like the innumerable modern Celtic Druid sects that exist today.

The Druids have a big festival at Stonehenge every year, you can't miss it.

Neither has any real connection to those religions as they existed eons ago, before they completely died out.

Again, no hard evidence exists of what either of those religions taught.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would agree that the Christian Bible does indeed, in a way, get its idea of God from Judaism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modern Judaism is a continuation of the Old Testament by those that did not believe Jesus was the Messiah who was referred to and promised throughout the whole Old Testament. So I'm not sure it's correct to just say Christianity got its ideas from Judaism, in a sense that until the New Testament they were one in the same. Then again, most Christians can't agree on things like the Trinity, what Holy Spirit actually is, what happens when you die, or even what the whole point of the bible was. And what happens if you don't agree with what the Catholic, Baptist, Church of Christ, or other mainstream denominations teach? They call you a cult. THAT kind of stuff is man-made, and in no way reflects anything about what Jesus Christ taught, nor does it reflect what God laid out through the spoken and written Word.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Modern Judaism is a continuation of the Old Testament by those that did not believe Jesus was the Messiah who was referred to and promised throughout the whole Old Testament. So I'm not sure it's correct to just say Christianity got its ideas from Judaism, in a sense that until the New Testament they were one in the same. Then again, most Christians can't agree on things like the Trinity, what Holy Spirit actually is, what happens when you die, or even what the whole point of the bible was. And what happens if you don't agree with what the Catholic, Baptist, Church of Christ, or other mainstream denominations teach? They call you a cult. THAT kind of stuff is man-made, and in no way reflects anything about what Jesus Christ taught, nor does it reflect what God laid out through the spoken and written Word.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that is a fair point.  Perhaps instead of Judaism I should have said the Ancient Hebrew Religion since some scholars would consider the Ancient Hebrew Religion to be fairly distinct from modern Judaism.  I even had a religion professor in college who thought it was better to characterize Christianity and Judaism as two branches of the Ancient Hebrew Religion, in much the same way that Catholicism and Orthodoxy are two branches of the Roman church.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think that is a fair point.  Perhaps instead of Judaism I should have said the Ancient Hebrew Religion since some scholars would consider the Ancient Hebrew Religion to be fairly distinct from modern Judaism.  I even had a religion professor in college who thought it was better to characterize Christianity and Judaism as two branches of the Ancient Hebrew Religion, in much the same way that Catholicism and Orthodoxy are two branches of the Roman church.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds about right. From what I understand, the groups referred to as the Pharicees in the New Testament, to include Saul before he became Paul, built what we now know as Judaism. They were a hardcore, zealous group who violently opposed the Christian following.

What I refer to as "mainstream" Christianity doesn't really seem to follow much of the original intent, which focused on love, forgiveness, etc. Nowadays churches come across as hostile, telling people they will burn in hell if they don't repent every Sunday, that you should be hostile towards non-believers, homosexuals, etc. No wonder so many people are pushed away from religion.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You're all invited to my church

View Quote

Would I be free to continue worshiping the old ones and their dark lord?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They are practicing a recreation of what they "think" Zoroastrianism was when it actually existed. Just like the innumerable modern Celtic Druid sects that exist today.

The Druids have a big festival at Stonehenge every year, you can't miss it.

http://wildhunt.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/druidsatstonehenge.jpg

Neither has any real connection to those religions as they existed eons ago, before they completely died out.

Again, no hard evidence exists of what either of those religions taught.
View Quote

Druids are part of the KKK?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#28]
There is an active community of Zoroastrians in India with direct roots to Persia centuries ago.. I've got two books about Zoroastrianism in front of me.
Information about this is easy to come by.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Bible I read never describes a heaven with fluffy clouds and angels, or a "hell" with fire and pitchforks. Figures of speech written in the east tend to not make sense in our culture until you sit down and actually try to understand them through the eyes of the folks that actually wrote them. But that's cool, sweep anybody who goes to any kind of church all together. I don't run around throwing bibles at people, why do so many atheists throw their "not bible" at people?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes - "somehow"

I'm not suggesting that you do and I believe you that you don't, but there are MANY who do. Atheists are the way they are because at some point in their life they were either harassed or socially rejected by Christians who consider them inferior simply because they do not believe in God.

It's not like Atheists all woke up one day and decided to be militant assholes about their thoughts on God for no reason whatsoever.

For the longest time I kept my mouth shut about my thoughts on the existence of God. What changed was my four years at college - I met so many different people from all walks of life - some religious, some not. On a number of different occasions people would ask me about my thoughts on God. When I told them I don't believe in it at all, they would react like I was some kind of loon - in their hearts, not a good person.

So if any Atheists are "throwing" things into Christian's faces, it's typically because they themselves were bitched at first for what they believe in.

Trust me, if anyone is guilty of throwing things at people, it's religious people.

I'm not saying there aren't Atheists who are militant about it for no reason other than to piss religious people off, but by and large many of them that express their opinions do so because at one point in their life they were hassled or ridiculed for their non-belief in God.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

There is as much hard info about Zoroastrianism as there is about Celtic Druidism, namely virtually none.

Not buying it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Zoroastrianism.

There is as much hard info about Zoroastrianism as there is about Celtic Druidism, namely virtually none.

Not buying it.

One of my ex-coworkers is Zoroastrian and attends a temple in Dallas.  He's of Iranian descent and can trace his families involvement back to before the Muslim Conquests that drove his people out of Iran.  

Hardly the same thing as Celtic Druidism, which was stamped out by Christianity.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What would that matter? You and I have access to the Bible, right? As the most published and most widely distributed book of all time, I'd say that God did just fine in making sure that His writings were accessible to as many people as possible over the last few thousand years.
View Quote

WHOSE writings?  I don't recall God writing anything to tablet or papyrus; He had some hack ghost writers, over a span of a few thousand years, who couldn't agree on what "His" word was until the First Council of Nicaea, and then King James mucked it up even worse with that "translation" loosely based on the original texts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

They are practicing a recreation of what they "think" Zoroastrianism was when it actually existed.

View Quote

false,  there have been Zoroastrians since the 6th century B.C.  

Unlike the Celtic druids, they were never stamped out.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm not suggesting that you do and I believe you that you don't, but there are MANY who do. Atheists are the way they are because at some point in their life they were either harassed or socially rejected by Christians who consider them inferior simply because they do not believe in God.

It's not like Atheists all woke up one day and decided to be militant assholes about their thoughts on God for no reason whatsoever.

For the longest time I kept my mouth shut about my thoughts on the existence of God. What changed was my four years at college - I met so many different people from all walks of life - some religious, some not. On a number of different occasions people would ask me about my thoughts on God. When I told them I don't believe in it at all, they would react like I was some kind of loon - in their hearts, not a good person.

So if any Atheists are "throwing" things into Christian's faces, it's typically because they themselves were bitched at first for what they believe in.

Trust me, if anyone is guilty of throwing things at people, it's religious people.

I'm not saying there aren't Atheists who are militant about it for no reason other than to piss religious people off, but by and large many of them that express their opinions do so because at one point in their life they were hassled or ridiculed for their non-belief in God.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Revealed by, you guessed it.......................God.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it was only by the Hellenic period that most Jews came to believe that their god was the only god,

I suppose that depends on your translation or belief in the definition of their "denial".  The cornerstone tenet of their faith is the "Shema", "Sh'ma Yisrael; Adonai Eloheynu, Adonai Echad", or "Hear O Israel; YHWH our God, YHWH is One.", or as the rabbi teach it, there is ONLY one God, and YHWH is that One.  It is, I suppose, debatable on if they really believe there were other gods and that theirs was best, or just that theirs was the Real Deal and the rest false imposters.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

And sadly many turn into the very thing they hated about religion: condescention, hate, and generalizations. Like I said, I'm used to getting enough flak from even other Christians for being non-denominational. I wasn't kidding when I said we were literally labeled a cult because we don't believe in the Trinity, that when you die you are dead (not floating in heaven), there is no "Hell", that anyone can learn and teach the Word, that salvation isn't by good works etc., and are a legitimately non-profit organization (repeatedly audited by the IRS over allegations, which were patently proven false). Gee, we're singled out on Wikipedia as the example of a Christian organization that was on "Christian anti-cult watchlists", yet when you look up "Christian anti-cult watchlist" or whatever it basically reads that they pursued any group that was "heretical" to the mainstream denominations. People hired cult deprogrammers to brainwash their offspring to go back to their family churches, because they couldn't change their mind. That's the "in house" criticism I already get to deal with. That's why it saddens me to get lumped together with all the other "fairy tale" before I can even introdouche myself.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IN A WAY...?!

PLEASE tell me that was intentional understatement...

EDIT:  Ok, made it to the follow up posts...doesn't sound so far off now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd say peyote, but I don't believe it's native to Africa.

Maybe licking frogs?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Freud must have snorted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...... before I can even introdouche myself.

Freud must have snorted.

Was trying to lighten the mood of the post a bit. I do my best to not be a douchey person, though I have been known to get a little carried away when I win a game of darts or dominoes...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think you accurately worded your question to voice the question you were thinking. You answered your question in the thread title. The idea for the Christian God was outlined in the Old and New Testaments, originating from God Himself. Or if you don't believe in Christianity, it originated from the authors of the several books. Were you instead asking where monotheism originated?

And you asked this question in GD instead of the religion forum, right...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#42]
from God.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#43]
So to take part in this debate, must we concede that the Christian bible is the literal truth and a historically accurate document?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So to take part in this debate, must we concede that the Christian bible is the literal truth and a historically accurate document?
View Quote

That depends...if  you're a literalist inerrantist, then yes; if not, then you can't.  The reason why is that one party will reject any position opposing them because since the Bible is the inerrant and absolute truth Word of God, then you MUST be wrong....any debate is moot at that point.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Freud must have snorted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...... before I can even introdouche myself.

Freud must have snorted.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Known Jewish history dates back for sure prior to 1,000 BCE which is the time of the Jewish kings,
so the religion itself certainly pre-dates that by a good bit.  So we are talking possibly as far back as
2,000 BCE.

Timeline of Judaism

Zoroastrianism by most sources I can find dates back to around 600 BCE.

Zoroastrianism - Religion Facts

So other sources say they think it might date to 6000 BCE.  I haven't seen any
hard facts to establish that, but I haven't really looked either.  Supposedly some scholars
think it is more like 1,000 to 1,500 BCE.  http://www.religioustolerance.org/zoroastr1.htm

Either way I think the time of the Jewish kings is well established historically at 1,000 BCE so
I'd be interested in hearing the theory of why Zoroastrianism is the older monotheistic religion.
Not that I think it is terribly important, just interesting.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Previous religions...

the belief in a supreme being wasn't exactly new at the time. More than one story was just re-written stuff from other cultures

IE: Noah and the ark is a reboot of The epic of gilgamesh
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
....snip....
That's why it saddens me to get lumped together with all the other "fairy tale" before I can even introdouche myself.
View Quote

At any rate, all religions are an exercise in self- or mass-delusion, doesn't much matter what the flavor of the belief system is.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Known Jewish history dates back for sure prior to 1,000 BCE which is the time of the Jewish kings,
so the religion itself certainly pre-dates that by a good bit.  So we are talking possibly as far back as
2,000 BCE.

Timeline of Judaism

Zoroastrianism by most sources I can find dates back to around 600 BCE.

Zoroastrianism - Religion Facts

So other sources say they think it might date to 6000 BCE.  I haven't seen any
hard facts to establish that, but I haven't really looked either.  Supposedly some scholars
think it is more like 1,000 to 1,500 BCE.  http://www.religioustolerance.org/zoroastr1.htm

Either way I think the time of the Jewish kings is well established historically at 1,000 BCE so
I'd be interested in hearing the theory of why Zoroastrianism is the older monotheistic religion.
Not that I think it is terribly important, just interesting.

View Quote

There are other religions that were around before and during when the Old Testament ocurred. There were all kinds of mono- and polytheistic religions that were sometimes localized to one city or region. I mean the Egyptians were around at the same time, though each has its own narrative on creation and whenever that ocurred, so you could endlessly go back and forth about whose came first.

The thing about the Bible is that there are literal events and figures of speach all woven together, and again it was first passed verbally and eventually written in a completely different culture. When describing that it was as difficult for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God as for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, it wasn't talking about a literal needle as we now use for sewing, but instead a small gate in the city that could be entered after dark but would require the camel to crawl on its knees to enter. Not impossible, but certainly difficult.

Ultimately, a core element of it all is that this is all about free will choice. Forcing someone to be Christian or adhere to "Christian values" is in itself against what the Bible teaches. If someone says "no thanks" to what I have to say, it doesn't russle my jimmies, it's their choice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only the parts that are supposed to be taken literally, not the parts that are supposed to be taken figuratively. Trouble is, which parts are which vary from believer to believer, and what is taken literally has decreased while what is to be taken figuratively has increased over the years.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top