Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2014 8:37:00 AM EDT
Wife hit a deer almost 2 weeks ago. Car was still drive able, but had some decent body damage. Called USAA gave them all the info I could and told them the accident caused two dents in the rear passenger quarter after the deer rolled over the car. We had a rental car from USAA in no time, and the car was towed to get assessed. Car was deemed repairable about 4 days later, and the next day it's in a local body shop.

This was about 1 week ago. Today I go down to the body shop and find out there is about 8700 bucks worth of damage and while I'm there, the employee asked about the two dents in the rear passenger quarter panel. "These look new and there's some deer hair in one, did you report these to USAA as part of the repairs?" Told him I did, and thankfully he had already included them in the cost. He says they sent the estimate to USAA and are just waiting for the go ahead.

I then call my adjuster, only to get a voicemail. I have had issues reaching her in the past, as she doesn't return phone calls. Last time we spoke she told me I could talk to any adjuster as they're all a team. I follow the prompts and get transferred to a new adjuster. He tells me he needs to send me to the total loss department since the car is totalled. Since fucking when is it a total loss? He says my main adjuster marked it as such awhile ago and then says I need to talk to her. I get sent back to her voicemail, and now I'm waiting on a phone call which probably won't come.

If this car gets totalled, we will be lucky if we come out even on what we still owe the bank.

Any experiences?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#1]
A young girl hit me a couple of years back...small fender bender but the damage was upwards of $1800. She was driving her father's truck who had USAA.
They were a pleasure to deal with. Came out to my house, gave me a rental, and fixed my truck without me having to spend a dime or do anything.
There's one data point for you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife has used them on a couple occasions for minor fender benders. Uniformly positive experience every time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
ALL insurance company s suck!
NEVER NEVER say you hit a deer, always say the deer hit you.
fuck insurance companys
fuck Obama
fuck obama care
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#5]
My garage burned down on the 20th of January.  I'm still dealing with them.  Once I started using their web site and hitting the complain button, things started moving much faster.  In my case I had to deal with three different adjusters since I lost two vehicles and the garage with thousands of bucks worth of tools and gear.  The Vehicles were the easy part with only minor screw ups on their part.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#6]
USAA has been good to go my whole life.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had great success with them.  Twice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#10]
my house was broken into back in sept 2013...called usaa they passed my info on to a company to do repairs and the company literally called me while i was still on the phone with usaa...they paid for replacement door front/back along with completely repainting my kitchen (usaa has a policy that anything touching the break in point gets repainted...this worked out to my entire kitchen.

i did have issues with replacement values but that's because i had no receipts or proof of ownership so for most everything I got significantly lower that what I paid...But i was able to get receipts for big ticket items (tv, ps3, xbox, dvd player, etc) and got full replacement value on those.

I now scan receipts and take pictures of big ticket items I buy and store them off site...it's a pita but it will save me a lot of headache if something like that happens again.

overall they've been a pleasure to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Oddly similar story.

Bullet version of event:

1.  Shop owner specializing in my particular brand/type of car said it was totaled.
2.  Local independent adjuster (for USAA) futzed around with insufficient estimates; didn't even contact shop owner when he went to see vehicle.
3.  Squabble with USAA over estimate and totaled, not totaled; they said it was repairable since adjuster's estimate was way low.
4.  Suddenly, car is towed from shop.  Owner assumed USAA agreed it was totaled and we had settled, but we had not.
5.  I contacted USAA and was informed no, it was repairable.  Where I asked?  At your shop.  Told them it was gone.  It took them a few days but they finally told me you're right:  totaled.
6.  Settlement amount was ½ of car value.  Squabble resumed over value.  Showed them receipts to get settlement up to reasonable market value.
7.  Switched insurance companies.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#12]
USAA as a company will take good care of you...some of their adjusters, on the other hand, are a different story.

With USAA, don't you have gap insurance?  A deer totalled one of our cars, and the value was a little less than what we owed.  Due to our insurance with USAA, they forgave/erased the difference.  

Just make sure they listed all the options/features that your car actually had (e.g. alloy wheels, roof racks, cd player, etc.).  You might end up pocketing a little cash instead of just paying off the loan.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input guys. I've always had good luck with them but this is getting annoying
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#14]
They worked well for me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Backed into by a drunk driver while I was parked. They totaled out my car and gave me high KBB value for it.
I asked on the phone how much it would be if I kept the car instead of junking it. Went from a 7500 dollar check to a 6500 dollar check and I fixed the front clip myself with a scrapyard takeoff for 250 bucks. Good deal for me!

Service was fast and professional, no haggling or BS.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#16]
What's the year/make/model of the car?  What's it worth on the KBB site?  Cost of repairs v. value....that will give you some idea.  Sometimes its cheaper to total than to repair.

What type of policy do you have?  Full replacement?

Matt
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great to deal with. You'll have no issues.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had mixed experiences.  

First was a 4 day old car.  The wife and I were hit head on by a stoned/drunk driver.  Tried to fly both of us but the weather was lousy so we were both loaded into ambulances and taken to the hospital.  Car was towed to a body shop of a friend of mine.  Got ahold of USAA when we got out of the hospital.  Our adjuster was a bitch and always acted like we were bothering her.  It took USAA 5 weeks to send someone to do an estimate on the car, and only after I suggested to my buddy he charges them a storage fee since it was taking them so long.  The guy they sent out was not from USAA...just someone contracted through them.  He spec'ed the car out with almost no features that it actually had and the value was well below what it was worth or what we paid.  I was smart enough to pay gap insurance so it didn't really matter, but brought it up and they made him go back again to look it over once more.  Then I was told they would be repairing the car.  My buddy had to call my adjuster (since the guy who did the actual estimate was incompetent) and tell them it's not possible.  He sent a few pics over of the engine pushed through the firewall and the dash collapsed (FD had to use a ram to push the dash off of us).  It took almost 3 months to get resolved with hours and hours on the phone trying to reach our adjuster.

Second time was hail damage on a month old car. They were very good about getting it done quickly that time.  When I used one of their prefered shops and the work was not done to my standard (orange peel...dents still left in the rear quarter panels) I called and they told me to bring it back in immediately.  Everything went smooth and they had us in a rental car for the 3 weeks the car was in the shop.

Take it for what it's worth.  I still keep USAA, but I have mixed feelings on their auto insurance.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I got hit by a woman who had USAA , she ran a red light . I had witnesses . USAA refused to send an adjuster. I sued the party in small claims court and mysteriously an adjuster appeared .  The adjuster was alright to deal with once he showed up.  Fuck them . It took 3 months to get my car fixed crash to repair
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Ever since all the advertising they went to shit.

Now everyone that knew of someone that served is getting it and making claims.

I dropped them last year. Fuck'em
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What's the year/make/model of the car?  What's it worth on the KBB site?  Cost of repairs v. value....that will give you some idea.  Sometimes its cheaper to total than to repair.

What type of policy do you have?  Full replacement?

Matt
View Quote

It's a 2008 Ford Fusion. According to KBB it's worth around 11k
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#22]
My job is to sue insurance companies when they wrongfully refuse to pay benefits to their insureds.  I've said in other threads and I'll say again here, I've represented a disproportionate number of very unhappy USAA insureds and had some not so pleasant experiences litigating against USAA.  Take from that what you will.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#23]
3 car clams
1) No issues at all
2) Car totaled, gave me NADA, car was worth more than NADA due to local sale prices. After proof was sent I got a check for the difference
3) No issues at all

1 house clam
1) zero issues
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#24]
very smooth - had car fixed - they sent check to cover it
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Usaa rammed me in the butt because my vehicle caught fire!   Also gave my vehicle some crazy high mileage for the quote because the odometer was not readable! So I got 1/4 of the value of the vehicle.

Oh yeah, I didn't get the money till 3 years later.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Great experiences across the board with them.
Have had each and every issue resolved in a ridiculously short matter of time, whether it was my fault, or someone else's.
Have them for homeowners too, and the same great service there too.
View Quote

This +1
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Paging dport.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#28]
My two data points:

They'll take care of the car, whether a minor bumper repair or a high speed rear end collision.

You don't want to get hurt, because their third party medical adjusters are out to save not just "a" dollar, but all of them, even with my health insurance picking up the first 80%.  Then they will under pay, over pay, not pay at all, or pay the same bill two or three times.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's my experience thus far...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Sad to say, even the good insurance companies suck these days. The ones everyone used to love are starting to get plenty of hate mail and they don't seem to mind.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Nothing but good things to say...they've always been very helpful.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I used them for my car when my wife hit a giant pothole in Wyoming while driving cross country, wrecking 2 of my $600 volk racing wheels.
Called usaa and they checked them out, and within a few days had a check for $1500+ to cover it, no hassles.
I wish I'd have switched to the stockies before that drive, but ran out of time while packing up the house/prepping to move.

Luckily my mr2 was on a trailer I was towing behind the moving truck, so we pulled that one off and the other car onto the trailer, locked it down and hit the road :D
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've had great success with them.  Twice.
View Quote

Same for me.
Hit n run in a parking lot and t-boned by a 16yr old. (Same car)

Both times they were above and beyond. Even got my new cars through them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#34]
They were great to deal with...back in 96.  Still have USAA but haven't had to actually use them since.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I had a hit and run incident and they have been awesome for me. I called them to make the claim, made a statement then they asked if there was a body shop that I preferred. The body shop called me to set up an appointment. Piece of cake
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
fuck insurance companys
fuck Obama
fuck obama care
View Quote

as an adjuster at an insurance company, i would say to not listen to this guy.  whether you hit the deer or vice versa, it's covered if you have comprehensive coverage on  your vehicle.  if you dont have comp, it's not covered.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Best company I've ever dealt with. Never had any issues with them at all, even when it has been my fault.

ETA: My old car was totaled in a flood (hydrolock) and despite it being over 10 years old and 200K+ miles on it... I got about $500 over the KBB for the car in "excellent" condition. Had the check in under a week.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Majority of complaints of usaa claims I hear of are where they have no preferred shops, lack of communication, and 3rd party adjusters because of it.  I've seen usaa go above and beyond more so than ANY other provider.

If I could get usaa I would without blinking.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Zero issues with the 2 claims I've had with them (I was not the liable driver in both cases).
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
fuck insurance companys
fuck Obama
fuck obama care
View Quote

That makes no difference
sometimes
yup

I repair USAA vehicles everyday and they are solid 99% of the time.  Most other insurers are lesser.  That said, many times your experience will come down to the attitude/knowledge of the adjuster and/or repairer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I dropped USAA in '86. I hold grudges with companies. This was over a premium billing issue that they could never get straight. I got it straight by changing companies.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#43]
OP, best advice I give owners when confronted with a total loss or a possible total is this: spend some time on sites like autotrader finding comparable examples of your car in a search radius of <200mi.  This should give you an idea of what to expect.  If the insurer comes in with a low settlement amount, produce the info you found.  This shows that you are not trying to profit from the loss, simply trying to be made whole again.  Many times after doing this, people are shocked by how much their vehicle has depreciated.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Go to the USAA web page and log into your account, you should see a link for your claim, with a place to click for more information.  In there, you should see copies of any correspondence from the USAA person working your claim, and a place to leave them a message.  I just had a truck accident and found that I got very fast answers by leaving messages there, much easier than calling them up and getting transferred to whichever person was available in the claims group if the person assigned to my claim was out.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Just called again. I'll know what the deal is tomorrow
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I've had really good experiences with USAA when I've had to make a claim. No claims in the last seven years, though...

Recently, however...? We're doing an insurance restoration job for water damage on a condo. The insurer is USAA, and they've been a train wreck with dealing with the client's claims, to the point where I'm about to call them myself with a complaint about their services. The adjuster is new, but there's no excuse for some of this crap--Lost paperwork, that I have proof was emailed to them, because I did it and received a reply saying the adjuster had it, etc.. Shit where the adjuster is just plain lying to the client about what we've said/sent, which is bizarre, because I've done a Cc: on every email, so that they can see the client is on the list of recipients. Just plain stupid shit that is clearly not accurate or true.

I heard through the grapevine that they just took a huge hit in terms of retiring adjusters, so that may be an explanation.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Hail damage to my Neon SRT.  Only problem I had was with the rental company being jackasses.   Got some tiny-ass economy car because that was "all they had" and when I returned it they tried to claim I'd damaged the vehicle.   There was a small dent half way up the hood.  Pretty sure if I'd done that, I'd remember.

Either way, experience with USAA, good.   Enterprise rentals,  not so much.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#48]
My wife hit a deer and I backed into some punk ass kid who's car was so low I couldn't see it while backing up. Anyhow, both experiences were great.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#49]
My wife struck another vehicle, but the vehicle turned in front of her as she was trying to pull in a parking lot and kind of a messed up incident. She was driving a Yukon.

USAA sent out an adjuster, who for the most part I wanted to punch in the face. I was pointing out things that were damaged, as he was saying that they were not. He down played when I said the vehicle was making a clicking noise that was not there before and he said I was probably being paranoid.

Well, a few months later, noises getting worse, it appears the collision also hit the tire and damaged the wheel bearing. Luckily, my garage takes great care of me and I had replaced it less than a year before that he replaced it and did so under warranty, not costing me anything.

Fuck USAA's adjusters.

The company itself is great to deal with and I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. Have had 2 auto claims and one homeowner. All 3 were super painless.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top