Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/20/2014 6:40:07 PM EDT
So we have all the technology to build a working space elevator.

Why do you think no ones built one yet?

Is it simply because no believes its of any value?

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I still think we have a ways to go with the carbon nanotube technology until we are running lines to the L points.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
We need a place to go... other than just up!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Contrary to what you've seen on Star Trek, there's really nothing all that interesting beyond the atmosphere that we could get to within a human's lifespan.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Contrary to what you've seen on Star Trek, there's really nothing all that interesting beyond the atmosphere that we could get to within a human's lifespan.
View Quote

Captain Kirk always found hot alien babes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the moon, Mars and the asteroid belt would do for starters. Plenty of territory to rape out there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Double.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

If someone takes a picture of it with a flash the cables will fail.  

That, and the anchor has to be in geosynchronous orbit, which means any non-geosynchronous satellite is going to have to dodge the cables.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Terrorist magnet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:   So we have all the technology to build a working space elevator.

View Quote

Potential reward on investment is likely low.  There's not so much going on @ geosynchronous orbit that can't be done w/ conventional chemical rockets far cheaper than a space elevator.  And then you've got to pay Space Elevator Operator Union wages.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Contrary to what you've seen on Star Trek, there's really nothing all that interesting valuable beyond the atmosphere that we could get to cost-effectively in the immediate futurewithin a human's lifespan.
View Quote

FIFY.

That could change rapidly, depending on several factors though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on what you define as interesting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That, and the anchor has to be in geosynchronous orbit, which means any non-geosynchronous satellite is going to have to dodge the cables.
View Quote
Your understanding of orbital mechanics needs...improvement.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The asteroid belt holds a simply mind blowing amount of resources for us to use and it could even hold unknown resources.

There's many ways we could gather them robots being one of the easiest.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Bullshit. Building a simple wall on our border with Mexico is too complex and costs too much. There is no way we can build a space elevator.

.....at least with fucking democrats in charge.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is that?  Low earth orbit satellites do not run the risk of colliding with this?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Terrorist magnet.
View Quote

Came to post this
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Space elevator is the stupidest way to get into space I have ever seen.  We do not have material yet to make it or any way to erect it.  A completed elevator would cross through every orbit possible to an altitude a bit above geosync creating a collision hazard for all those satellites below the counter weight at the top.  Its 22000 mile to geosyne where you get off, at 1000mph it takes a day to get there.  What are you using to propel the elevator car up the ribbon over that great distance.  Retarded idea!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think the technology is there yet, and how are you going to protect it?   Missles, guns, suicide planes, and lasers will be some of the threats.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#19]
The minute you put the cable under any kind of sizable load it will pull the orbital station out of orbit and it'll all come crashing down.
And that's bad M'kay...
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

A catapult would make more sense IMO.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The minute you put the cable under any kind of sizable load it will pull the orbital station out of orbit and it'll all come crashing down.
And that's bad M'kay...
View Quote

That's why you run the cable past the station and put a large counterweight, or at least according to the science fiction.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You need to read more science fiction. Might I suggest the Troy Rising series?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think the moon, Mars and the asteroid belt would do for starters. Plenty of territory to rape out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one there to rape.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The asteroid belt holds a simply mind blowing amount of resources for us to use and it could even hold unknown resources.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until someone comes up with a better way to get there, the amount of energy and resources to go get the stuff in the asteroid belt makes it a massive loser.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No one there to rape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one there to rape.

I thought mining was considered rape now.

I'm trapped in this horrible heterocage.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Elevator isn't really what you need , more like a funicular. The cars coming down loaded with ore from mining the asteroids would pull the cars up the cable to the orbital station. Once it was built and running the power for its operation would basically be free.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Getting close, but we have yet to fab a carbon nanotube or graphene belt or cable.   But we are close.  I would SWAG that we will be able to build a 1 km proof of concept device within the next 20~40 years, possibly within a decade.

Although admittedly it's a big step going from 1 km to 35,786 km.
Lots of issues to consider. Lots... cable tension, electric and air current effects, Van Allen radiation, ionospheric free oxygen... space junk...

ETA:  there was a Shuttle experiment several years ago that involved lowering a tether a few km, and it ran into all sorts of problems.  It might have been attempting to charge the cable to demonstrate altitude control or power generation, but what ever it was, they fried the tether.

ETA2:  Atmospheric free oxygen -- read up on the Long Duration Exposure Facility experiment.  Wow.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Best sci-fi description of working elevators I've read was in Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red Mars".
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Why climb mount everest for a cup of ice when you live on a glacier?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Fuck the needle, gas chamber, and electric chair. Once they build a space elevator, you can just ride em up there, open the door, and space the motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#32]
No, we don't.

Current industrially produced carbon nanotubes are just over the theoretical minimum strength needed to build a space elevator from Earth.

This leaves no safety margin. Which means it will not work.

Something 20-100% stronger may be required.

Graphene ribbons are promising.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why climb mount everest for a cup of ice when you live on a glacier?
View Quote

To get away from all these motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Space elevator is the stupidest way to get into space I have ever seen.  We do not have material yet to make it or any way to erect it.  A completed elevator would cross through every orbit possible to an altitude a bit above geosync creating a collision hazard for all those satellites below the counter weight at the top.  Its 22000 mile to geosyne where you get off, at 1000mph it takes a day to get there.  What are you using to propel the elevator car up the ribbon over that great distance.  Retarded idea!
View Quote

Uh you don't need anything to propel you up. You wait till the Earth rotates upside down and you fall down to the top duh.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#35]
All the humans to farm are here... Let them start wandering off and who knows what they might do.  Can't have large populations moving to a new territory and potentially declaring independence... just look at how that turned out last time.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Uh you don't need anything to propel you up. You wait till the Earth rotates upside down and you fall down to the top duh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly, this was the highlight of my day. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Not enough strands to make the cables right now. A slow-process in making them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#38]
We don't really.. We don't have way to build a single nanotube cable 22,000 miles long that could support its own weight let alone all the added forces..

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Forget the elevator.  How about a threadmill to the moon?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Because the costs would be full retard, it would fuck with the airways, and serve no purpose.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#41]
space travel will remain rather stagnant until there is profitable money to be made there.

Our technology needs to be up to task as well. Good news is we are still in our infancy of space travel.  The first ship builders didnt cross the oceans 50 years after building the first ship either. A lot has to be learned and new techniques, and technologies developed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#42]
High altitude lightning, sprites, etc. will probably mess with any graphene ribbon too - as well as the UFOs and other aerial critters.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Best sci-fi description of working elevators I've read was in Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red Mars".
View Quote

yep, later books had a funny detail

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Space elevator is the stupidest way to get into space I have ever seen.  We do not have material yet to make it or any way to erect it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Space elevator is the stupidest way to get into space I have ever seen.  We do not have material yet to make it or any way to erect it.

You don't erect it. You drop it in... Derect it?

That is a complicated task though.

A completed elevator would cross through every orbit possible to an altitude a bit above geosync creating a collision hazard for all those satellites below the counter weight at the top.

Uh, no, that isn't how it works. Orbits are three dimensional. An orbit at a lower orbit does not inherently conflict with an elevator.

Its 22000 mile to geosyne where you get off, at 1000mph it takes a day to get there.

Is a week to orbit such an unacceptable idea? Especially if multiple cars can be ascending at once.

What are you using to propel the elevator car up the ribbon over that great distance.  Retarded idea!

Electrical power from the ribbon, just like a streetcar or subway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#45]
No reason to go to space right now until we develop better energy sources. Whether better batteries or a sort of non-chemical rocket for propulsion.  Which then we would need faster speeds and faster communication.  Near light speed stuff is a long way off.

Maglev launches are more promising them a space elevator currently. Especially for non-human cargo.  This would be good for getting back to the moon or going to mars. Which could open up a bit more.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#46]
i hears someone once say that relativity prohibited it.  Something about how the speed of time being different at teh surface and in orbit b/c the thing is orbit is going 15k+MPH.   It was a scientits that said it but it was just mentioned in passing in a radio interview.  I have NO idea if it makes snese or not.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Because the costs would be full retard, it would fuck with the airways,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Because the costs would be full retard, it would fuck with the airways,

How would a single no-fly zone in the middle of the pacific ocean fuck with air travel?

and serve no purpose.

Be careful, you might choke on your own tongue, or forget to breathe. I'm honestly worried about you.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And that's bad M'kay...
View Quote

the theory is that there would be counterweights to balance the load.  

Also, the counterweight might be at 22000 feet or whatever, but the station wouldn't necessarly have to be all the way at the end.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Because Muslims would blow it up?

Because the feds won't allow it to be built by private ventures because the fed would want to control it, and won't spend taxpayer money on it because the free shit army needs to be bribed to not riot?

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't need a Space Elevator for that when a cheap rocket powered tug will do, hear me out.

If we were to find an asteroid in the vicinity of Earth or one approaching, I suppose it would be cheaper to send a traditional ship out there to tether it and bring it to a  Near Earth Orbit for mining.  Do we need an elevator when we can just drop the mined ore into orbit?  Sure getting up there will be more difficult, but the cost of a Space Elevator will far and beyond eclipse the cost of anything we have ever built in Human history.  One good metal rich asteroid would change the economy of the world.

tldr version:
I think it would be cheaper to send a fleet of tugs out, tether and asteroid, bring it closer, set up a mining facility and drop the booty back to Earth.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top